Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oh rly
Feb 22, 2006
oh rly ya rly no wai
I'll start. I have worked with many useless PMs who are promoted into the role because they used to be an SME of something, but have no real project management experience.

Many of them are quick to draw a line in the sand claiming what is and what isn't their job. My favorite is the belief their job does not include getting other people to communicate.

Many PMs stand by their favorite response which is "I e-mailed them, but they wont' respond."

My plan of attack for any communication is e-mail, instant message, phone, or standing at their loving desk until I get an answer.

Any good PM knows how to get people to communicate. A technique I learned from the world of construction is called the committal schedule. The committal schedule is a separate schedule listing out tasks when resources are forced to make decisions or have a scheduled meeting to make a decision. I have found that putting a meeting on a calendar to make the decision has been an effective method to get project stakeholders and leadership to be prepared to make a decision versus kicking the can down the road.

I always tell the PMs that I work with that the best PMs are annoying. If that PM is annoying enough, then every time a resource sees a message from the PM or sees the PM in person, then they will be reminded of the deliverables or tasks from that project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh rly
Feb 22, 2006
oh rly ya rly no wai

Sundae posted:

The secret is to inherit projects that are already smoldering. :v:

This is the truth. I've never been a real PM by title, but inherited so many dumpster fires that I tell people I'm the project janitor.

I work in IT and taught myself most stuff by learning on the job. It helps that I absorbed most of the process from working at a Fortune 100.

Every place has a different method of doing things, but the most important aspect is learning what works within your organization. We practice random elements of traditional waterfall development and Agile.

The 2nd best resource I had was a Project Management class while getting my masters. Just learning simple terminology like three elements of a project (time, resources, budget), what the critical path is, how to track issues and risks, project charter, process to re-baseline, how to define what's in scope and out of scope, how to prevent scope creep, escalation process, importance of leadership alignment, and resource capacity were all things that I have been able to use.