Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Dik Hz posted:

Eh. Given that it takes 2 years of PM experience to even qualify for the certificate, I think it shows a certain dedication to get it.

It takes 2 years of project experience not PM experience. Most of my hours were from various roles I had as part of a project, not direct PM roles.

Edit: I just checked the PMI website and either I am crazy or they changed it to say directing/leading projects. When I got my PMP in 2013 my boss told me I just needed project experience and not direct experience. PMI accepted my hours. Maybe they just didn't catch it because I wasn't selected for an audit or maybe they have changed the requirements since then to be more specific.

D-Pad fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Aug 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I think there is an type of imposter syndrome unique to PMs. The accepted way to think about project management, whatever type it may be, makes it seem as if it is an exact science and an expert PM will have no ambiguity in there projects and no need to deal with something in a different way than is laid out in the certification literature.

In reality it's all a bunch of BS. PM'ing is not an exact science at all and I've worked on projects and with PMs from a ton of organizations and I have never seen anything proceed as the PMBOK (or other applicable "source of truth") says it should.

Organizations and people have flaws and resulting requirements that are unique to them. If being a good PM was just following the process laid out in the literature than anybody, including a computer progam, could do it. Good PMs are able to manage despite things being ambiguous, suboptimal, or just plain stupid.

In my experience, when you get somewhere that has larger and more complex projects with an expected structure it turns out they are just as messy as any other project. I've worked with a few PMs that INSIST on every little thing following the exact best practice that applies to it and their projects end up being nightmares. A good PM knows when to bend so it doesn't break.

D-Pad fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Dec 13, 2019

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

So PMPs suck eh?

How about lean sigma six ???

A PMP is more valuable career wise than an MBA in most situations and easier/cheaper to get. It is required for a lot of PM jobs and if it isn't it will still put your resume in front of all the ones lacking it. It is definitely worth pursuing for those reasons, but as far as actual usefullness of what it teaches you it's not much in my experience. I learned way more actually working as a PM long enough to meet the requirements to take the test than I ever did from the material taught.

It's more of a gatekeeping device that signals you've reached a certain level of experience and committment in your PM career than a learning one. I always encourage PMs to get it, just don't be caught up in PMI's self righteous bullshit.

I don't have personal experience with six sigma or some of the others, but from what I have seen they aren't significantly different.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Wrike is my favorite project management tool I have used so far. I've implemented it in two organizations. It was originally created for marketing and creative projects, but I've found it to be very useful for IT as well. It doesn't necessarily offer features you can't find in other tools, but the sum is greater than its parts I guess you could say. It is very easy to learn and very powerful once you've learned how all its features work together and can be used.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

THE MACHO MAN posted:

yeah, I figured. I don't even know if I particularly feel like going through the headache, but it seems like at least half the places I am looking at prefer it or outright require it

thanks guys

It's worth it. For a PM it is more valuable dollar/career wise than an MBA for waaaay less $ and effort. I've found that to be true.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Dik Hz posted:

I'm taking a PMP prep course right now (paid for by a training grant to my company). Our instructor is great, but boy is the coursework's ethics unit out in lala-land. There is considerable conflict between the right answers on the practice tests I've taken and the way the real world works.

Question: You don't have the authority to keep functional managers from taking all your resources. What do you do?

Answers:
A) Tell your sponsor you lack the resources to complete the project. (wrong)
B) Go to the authority well with your authority bucket and just get more authority. (correct)

:discourse:

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

spwrozek posted:

Why are 95% of PMs just warm bodies that make my life miserable?

In my experience good PM'ing is an art not a science. The industry and certs treat it as a very complicated if/then statement and it really isn't. Most PMs aren't actually good at the art of it.

The other big thing is in a lot of places the PMs are so hamstrung by processes/procedure and poo poo management above them they can't do the things they want to/know are the better option.

A good PM exists to make your job easier and clear obstacles out of your way as well as interface with everybody outside the main project team with your interests in mind. That only works with competent resources, however, and a few bad apples that require a lot of PM handholding and micromanagement tend to turn a PM into just that and make everyone's life miserable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Rooted Vegetable posted:

Firstly, PMP application is accepted and I just need to schedule the exam.

I'm studying my PMP Preparation Course Book now. Kind of a lot to take in... As is the PMBOK... As are my extensive notes. Kind of seems like PMTraining.com (who I'm doing practice exams with) would like you to know the Agile Practice Guide too.

In terms of remembering all of this during the stress of job, kid and covid, any hints?

Adjacent question, did anyone use Anki for making flashcards and if so, any quick guides on making effective cards?

The best advice for the test is the correct answer is not what any sane reasonable person would actually do, the correct answer is what the PMBOK says to do.