Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/323168620961

Got to make sure your Ebay listing has photos that show the best aspects of your car.

Technically it's not the car that sucks, but still posting it here.

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Apr 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Fermented Tinal posted:

Pursuits can be really dangerous and it's not uncommon for police to back off.
Yeah, though we have the opposite problem here, the police won't pursue scrotes on stolen motorbikes in case they get hurt. No helmet, no pursuit.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
"...ention"

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
TWELVE CANDIDATES ENTER, ONE CANDIDATE LEAVES! MASTER BLASTER RUN HR TOWN!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cage posted:

I was a part of a group interview once. I was 17, and it was for hot topic. I wore khakis and a white button down because duh but everyone else wore goth crap soo clearly I was not on the same page as everyone else.
"I figured your thing was selling 'alternative' clothing, and seeing as I'm the only one here dressed differently, I guess I have a better idea what that means than you do".

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Oh God, here we go again. :rolleyes:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

spog posted:

You'll pry my hot glue-gun from my cold, dead, hot-glued hands
All I ask is for someone to invent an adhesive that works better on any actually useful substrate than it does on skin.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Huh. Tried to leave work, Zoe is stone dead. Won't even light the dash up.

I had to use the little emergency key hidden in the remote to get in it, but there's no ignition switch as such, and it's not recognising the keyless fob. About the only thing that's working is the release button for the charge port.

Currently sat waiting for the recovery people.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I also enjoyed both films, especially the huge number of references in RPO. Though Pacific Rim 2 had a few nods to anime stuff in there as well.

Darchangel posted:

There's *no* manual key slot anywhere? That's stupid.
Yeah, it's annoying. Though I'm not sure having a key switch would do anything in this instance. My suspicion is the 12v battery has died.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I assume push button start? Obviously if the 12v is dead you're boned, but if it's the fob battery that's dead, you might be able to actually touch it against the start button and have it start. That's how it is in my Mazda, anyway.
It's an EV, the 'start' button is just to activate it.

I don't think it's the fob battery, as the central locking doesn't work, nor does anything else like the dash lock/unlock button.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Oh. Yeah, sounds like your poo poo's dead, then. Hopefully you're not still waiting on the service dudes.
Yep, as suspected, it was the 12v battery. Which was deciding to be a 4.6v battery. Once the recovery guy got to me, all it needed was a hit with a booster pack and it was back to life.

The problem is that the 12v is only charged when the car is "running", just as with an alternator, so short uses and cold weather does a similar number on them to a regular car, and the main charger when you plug the car in doesn't charge the 12v battery. I've put one of my CTEKs on it tonight, and stuck a spare battery and jump leads in the boot so I can rescue it myself if it does it again.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I keep boxes for Bad Obsession-style CAD work, spray painting stuff in/on, and sending out parcels.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Larrymer posted:

Don't buy a car unless you can afford to pay cash. :smug:
Pistonheads is that way.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Larrymer posted:

I can afford a decent car but not a decent car.
You've got their standard attitude down pat, though.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

BigPaddy posted:

Pistonheads is a bunch of London Lawyers and Stockbrokers lording it over those who do not have a car worth 6 figures.
That's a good chunk of them, yes.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Larrymer posted:

You're not getting my humor, then. I'm an engineer, same as you (IIRC) and live pretty reasonably. I'm a bit more responsible these days and try to avoid car loans and debt if possible, that's all.

FWIW I've never even been to that site.
Poe's Law basically. I'm too used to seeing this nonsense on Pistonheads, where people genuinely do believe the simplistic "anything on finance means you can't afford it".

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

cakesmith handyman posted:

I'm coming round to the idea I need to replace my Panda, despite it being one of the best/most trouble free cars I've ever owned.
I'd suggest a Saab 9-5 Aero estate with a manual gearbox for family duty, while keeping the Panda for lone commuting.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

The best review of RP1 described it along the lines of: if you're young enough to enjoy the plot, you won't get half the references. If you're old enough for the references, you have better things to do.

I enjoy schlock, especially Spielberg shlock (the terminal is a fav of mine) but I will be skipping what I perceive to be peak wankbait, RP1.
I liked it, but for the same reasons I enjoyed the book: I knew exactly what I was going to get, I like the references to all the old nerd poo poo, and I don't particularly care about the problems with it.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Rhyno posted:

We went to a comic-con yesterday and jesus christ, the number of incels and potential school shooters was horrifying.
But was it surprising?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Fermented Tinal posted:

I just paid hundreds of dollars for two pieces of plastic. Please help me.
Wait until you see the bill when you divorce her.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

So Geico feels the claim is satisfied and doesn't want to take the car now that the check has been issued. Kinda figured as much.

Best options to get the most money for a scrap car? Pick n Pull only offered $230. I'd prefer to get closer to $400.
Sell it as a going concern, part it out (not likely with apartment situation), or just keep driving it.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

You should approach it the other way around as well, like you're interviewing them to see if you even want to work there. Ask them questions.
This.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

The Door Frame posted:

I love tow capacity conspiracy theories, I even kind of believe them when looking at the numbers. The 1.5L Toyota Yaris with its weak rear end engine is rated for 1500lbs in the UK, but isn't rated for any weight at all in the US. Most tiny econoboxes are rated for about 1000-1500lbs in the UK, but even small trucks and SUV's are barely rated for 2000lbs in the US
I believe we've discussed this before, and there was a strong argument on the side of "People are too loving stupid to stick to ratings, so better to not let them tow anything".

On the other side of this, when you are allowed to tow, you get a much higher weight than we do. My licence is a joke in terms of towing limit.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Darchangel posted:

I think the prevailing theory on that is partially due to the prevalence of high speed highways in the US versus the UK, and possibly the litigious environment in the US.
But you don't really drive that fast, and the average annual mileage people drive is little different.

The average US highway is little different to a UK motorway, really.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

cakesmith handyman posted:

Is it a cavalier?
Is it a Saturn with a busted front end and saggy seat?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Huh. Some caravan utilising nomadic traveller sorts have helped themselves to a couple of old Landie axles I had sat in a corner by my hedge. Including lifting them over the fence. I'll pull the CCTV footage but I suspect it's just on the edge if what the cameras see.

It's a minor irritation, but I'm not entirely sure why they nicked them. They're not really worth any great amount to either sell or weigh in relative to the sheer effort of moving the drat things.

Ah well. Hopefully they'll pick on a nice retired gentleman next and get stabbed to death.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Tomarse posted:

As someone who has also owned and moved around multiple landrovers worth of axles then if they did indeed lift them over a fence by hand then they deserve them.
Lol, one of them was a loving Salisbury, too (that's a full-floater Dana 60 to the Americans reading).

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I was literally going to just post about that. They added it at the beginning of the month. I saw the PG rating and figured I’d let the almost four and almost six year old watch it with me. Took us two nights (yesterday and today) and they loved it. I haven’t watched it since it came out ~10 years ago. It holds up alright. Visually very ahead of its time and the sound mixing was good. I wanted to see it again to experience it on our 110” projection screen. It didn’t disappoint. A good campy fun movie with plenty of off the wall racing.

i also forgot how much of a total babe Christina ricci is. She fine.
Yeah, I love it, it's so gloriously daft. But I'm generally a fan of enjoying stuff on that basis.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Never watched FMJ.
What is your major malfunction, numbnuts?

slothrop posted:

Anyways, seems unnecessarily draconian.
Australian legislation dot text.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
The trick is to treat the job as if you were doing it professionally.

So get drunk before you start, and you're not allowed to use any materials/tools you don't already have on hand.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Tomarse posted:

I need to get some 3metre long lengths of worktop home from the shop about 6 miles away and a fiat panda is currently my only road legal vehicle. Am I wrong to be considering removing the passenger seat in order to attempt this? (If I pay them to deliver it takes 2-3 weeks)
Bitch, please. Hang that poo poo out the back with a knackered hi-vis jacket taped on the end of it.

If more than half the length is in, it's a decent Friday night perfectly safe.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

You Am I posted:

Seriously, after reading some of the poo poo that US goons have to deal with in regards to their properties, especially from residential groups or whatever they are called, Australians seriously don't give a gently caress what you do with your property, except in either extreme cases or some small groups of units which have a body corp.
The thing with Australia is that, as a nation, it seems like it likes to promote the "yeah, she'll be right" easy-going attitude, which is at odds with the almost German "you will do as you are told" approach to legislation that seems to be somewhat pervasive. The chilled-out zeitgeist seems to break on a shore of actually being quite uptight.

Now, South Africans, those bastards are laid back to the point of being dangerous to themselves. I've met a few over the years, and it's like someone installed reefer.wad at birth.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I used mine to go get some 8' chipboard sheets yesterday.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

After the range I went to Bass Pro and took a look around. Came home with a Beretta Pico for $199, manager special.

I also owned (left with ex) a 950 Jetfire. There's something wrong with my brain, I seem to like tinyguns.
Yes. Do it for those of us who can't. Buy all the guns.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Goober Peas posted:

Today I got publicly called out for not attending a mandatory meeting
The trick is engineering things such that people wouldn't dare do that.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Anyone else watched Netflix's Lost In Space?

Just finished it tonight, and I have to say, it exceeded my expectations. Really enjoyed it.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
You need to smell like a real man, too. Creosote mixed with used engine oil is a good one there.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

spog posted:

So....not this stuff? I mean, cars run on diesel, don't they?

Diesel is quite slippery stuff, so depending what it is you're doing with that glass fist to make bravery a factor, the lubrication could be useful.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

spog posted:

Britgoons:

I am sure you are all familiar with EuroCarParts https://www.eurocarparts.com/ and their bizarre pricing strategy of high prices on the website with discount codes on the same website.

Well, I found this oddly-similar site https://www.carparts4less.co.uk/ with a smaller range of the same products at cheaper prices, even with the ECP discount codes applied.

I ordered from both and they are the same company: same products, same DHL shipping, same packaging, everything
Yeah, I'm not sure why they organise themselves like that.

Also, one day, I'm sure I'll meet someone who paid full price for something at ECP. It's like DFS sofas with car parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

mariooncrack posted:

I'm possibly looking at a few used Civic SIs and Focus STs. I'm afraid of buying a car that has been modded and then had the mods removed. What should I be looking for specifically?
How much of a flat bill wearing twat does the seller appear to be?

• Locked thread