Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

LloydDobler posted:

Hah april fools on me, I thought I'd finally find out what this tax cut BS was all about.

Now I'm pretty sure my company didn't do my withholding like I asked because I owe loving $2500 federal which usually means another $1000 to the state.

I rough numbered my taxes in last week. There was a lot of crying. Being an American was expensive last year. Successful but expensive. I hope to do it again this year just adjust my withholdings better so I net out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

InitialDave posted:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/323168620961

Got to make sure your Ebay listing has photos that show the best aspects of your car.

Technically it's not the car that sucks, but still posting it here.

I am sad to say this listing has been deleted. Friends and I got a good laugh out of it, and when I went to send it to another person this morning it has vanished.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

NitroSpazzz posted:

He needs a name...something auto related would be pretty cool otherwise the rest of the litter is Minnesota/Norwegian themed.

That little cutie is destined to be named Booster or Pinstripe.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Do what you can here:

https://www.thoughtsandprayersthegame.com

Beverly Cleavage posted:

My grill died. Several brackets for the "heat tents" (covers the burners) rusted and broke off. With a decent tax return coming back, I've begun searching for a replacement that isn't piece of poo poo after 5 years.

I bought a Weber Genesis LX 3 burner natural gas grill and I have loved it. Igor the stainless model. The grates are stainless steel too and it has a closed cabinet on the bottom. With all the grilling I do now with my wife’s dietary needs I’m using it two or three times a week. With the natural gas it has no problem getting up to 650+* and it is easy to cook with direct or indirect heat. Just the right amount of cooking area for a pretty good spread too.
Buy the cover. It is 100% necessity for maintaining a nice looking grill.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Beverly Cleavage posted:

Thanks for the input guys. Those LX webers are pretty swank, but the cost is a little ouch. And because it's a HOA townhouse, I'm a little reluctant to run a hardline outside anywhere because I'm sure someone would complain.

Definitely some food for thought. Much appreciated!

Some hours were spent in research before getting my Weber. This included YouTube videos, bbq blogs and general googling. In Costco I trust and all and some other branded grill they had online was one that had my attention but in my research it turned out they too were garbage.
My dad bought the Weber Summit 6 burner 8 years ago and it still looks mint to this day. Get the Weber with the stainless construction like previously mentioned. The experience is worth the price of admission. They have propane versions too that you can convert later without much effort. Natural gas is bitching though. I absentmindedly roast whatever I can on it. Potatoes and veggies...basically anything that doesn’t go on the pellet smoker.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

I think that the C6 is vastly better looking than the C5. A C5 Z06 is an incredible value right now and hard to argue with.

So Mrs Heroic went to visit the parents for a couple of days and let me catch up on some house projects and spring cleaning. I’ve been tackling the garage at night to make it a haven again.

Why do we as humans keep around boxes? I got rid of the original boxes of so many things. I finally rid myself of the box from our TV. It had the base (tv is wall mounted). Why have I hung on to that for almost five years? I’m never going to table top mount the TV. It’s not going to get taken back to the store. It took up space for five years. Throwing it out felt good.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Rhyno posted:

that gorgeous Mazda red to boot.

Mazda makes the best reds. The new reds I see on the CX-5 and Mazda 6 is such a head turner. I loved the Velocity Red Mica of my old Speed6 too. Cleaned up and in the sunlight it was stunning.

everdave posted:

ok threw the boxes away now what

Profit.

Seriously there are more boxes that need to go. Like my PlayStation3 box. What is even the point? I haven't even turned that thing on for...I dunno like 3 or 4 years at this point. It was running blu-ray duty and then that went away after building the home theater I will go down there to watch a movie.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

I literally have never heard of TCL TVs until now.
Is this real life? A4K 55” TV for $399!?

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Earlier someone said eggs are best with/on leftovers.

Cheese is the real champion on top of left overs. Who can resist a nice bit of melted cheddar? Terrorists I’m sure.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

The Door Frame posted:

The lead levels in my blood are within the normal range :toot:

Congrats on not currently being shot.

I’m happy because my local sports team beat another sports team by putting the round ball in the hoop more than the opposing team and now get to attend the playoffs. They are very fun to watch and this is the only ballsports game I even pay attention to.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Larrymer posted:

Anybody have podcast recommendations? I think somebody did an effort post (MGS maybe?) on this sometime back. I've just started listening to them so I haven't listened to much. So far I like the ESPN 30 for 30s, and Serial. I couldn't get into Lore despite being a nerd. Same for a video game podcast I tried.

My podcast list (adding on what has already been posted):

Heavyweight
Freakonmics
Dirty John (since you liked Serial)
Revisionist History
Sword and Scale (my favorite True Crime podcast)

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

BraveUlysses posted:

i liked sword and scale until i started learning about the guy who does it and was instantly turned off forever

Well I am going to go ahead and blissfully ignore him as a person and just listen to him tell stories.

I can tell a bit of ego comes through the longer and more successful the podcast has gotten but his stuff is so far above others as far as the story telling goes that I will look over that.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

ExplodingSims posted:

Just found out the Speed Racer movie is on Netflix

:getin:

I was literally going to just post about that. They added it at the beginning of the month. I saw the PG rating and figured I’d let the almost four and almost six year old watch it with me. Took us two nights (yesterday and today) and they loved it. I haven’t watched it since it came out ~10 years ago. It holds up alright. Visually very ahead of its time and the sound mixing was good. I wanted to see it again to experience it on our 110” projection screen. It didn’t disappoint. A good campy fun movie with plenty of off the wall racing.

i also forgot how much of a total babe Christina ricci is. She fine.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

LloydDobler posted:

Good for you! That $800 a month plus gas can really make a difference in savings and lifestyle. Never mind how much less time you spend in the car. Think about it, that's one beater Honda civic per month! Or one questionable motorcycle! Or 8 mediocre hookers!

The tax man will take a huge chunk of that but you’ll probably clear another $500/month. That’s awesome! Good for you!

Real grown up talk: live like you currently do, don’t increase your lifestyle. Pay off any debts with your new found monies if you have any debts. Then build a pad of cash if you don’t have one.

THEN make irresponsible automotive decisions.

When we found ourselves in a higher income situation we stuck to our budget and it has been life changing. Free yourself from debt because after you climb that mountain there is nothing worth getting back into the hellpit that is debt and monthly payments.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Adiabatic posted:

How's everyone doing this fine Tuesday morning? Everybody get their taxes done?

Yes I filed last day. The IRS sucked my account dry this morning. The state will be taking theirs via check. My estimations were...under from my normal withholding amount. It makes me sad because while I don't usually expect a refund I don't expect owing an amount anywhere near what I did. I had my eye on a couple of toys I was hoping to pick up and this made me responsible up and put those on hold.

My job is pretty cyclical through the week with Mondays being full :kingsley: and they just wipe me out. I barely have much left to help out with the kids etc when I get home at night.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Adiabatic posted:

Fuuuuuuuuck. Hope that poo poo improves for you. I cannot even begin to imagine how much of an energy drain kids are.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Also it's your own child so the whole unconditional love thing kinda trumps a lot of poo poo.

It is just the seasonal side. Making hay while the sun shines and all. I wouldn't have it any other way and I do get to spend a lot of time with my kids, more than most parents probably do. It is rewarding in so many ways that are intangible. I love my kids, like AA stated it is unconditional. They are so much fun. I had my middle child (son) with me for a good 6 or 7 hours on Saturday and we just had a blast.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

veiled boner fuel posted:

Anyone got any recommendations for wheels for an F-150, probably 18x9. Looking for something that is off roadey and not douchebroey/mall crawley and from my looking so far the odds are stacked against me.

Method 105’s are the most bitchinest.

Source: I have a scale licensed set on my RC Rock crawler.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

mariooncrack posted:

I'm possibly looking at a few used Civic SIs and Focus STs. I'm afraid of buying a car that has been modded and then had the mods removed. What should I be looking for specifically?

Buy it from a 40+ year old married dude that bought it trying to win his youth back only to realize it wasn’t his scene. The kind of dude that has straight missionary position once to twice a month with his wife. This guy also has service records at the dealership from day one

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Rhyno posted:

My wife arranged to buy half of a cow today.

Did that a few months ago. It is quite awesome. I have had some great stuff. I have also ruined some great things :( but we are getting better at cooking it. I hope you have two freezers.

I went and drove big loud RC cars today and I can't decide which photo is cooler.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

KakerMix posted:

I just bought an AZ-1

No tall people allowed.

I’m days behind on catching up to this thread but this is exciting. I’ve followed your thread and know I will one day import a Kei car even if just to own for a short time. This is the holy grail. Nice work!

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

I have been bothered all morning by my morning commute involving a motorcycle. The rider was in full gear, high vis jacket and sport bike. He was riding responsibly and I was aware of him (driving behind him). We are both in the far right lane approaching our exit. Our existing lane gives you the option for the exit, with an exit only lane that also begins to the right. I entered the "exit only" lane by signalling and pretty much maintaining my speed. Having traveled in the exit only lane for a good ~200 feet the sport biker begins to merge into the exit only lane that I am currently occupying. He did not use his signal OR check his blindspot. He had plenty of room in front of him and rather than matting the brakes I gave a little gusto on the skinny pedal while making sure he had enough room but I passed him.

I could tell he was bothered by it because bikers often feel victimized (generalization and opinion =/= fact I know) but he made a run up the back of me. He almost made a move to swing into the left lane but ultimate decided against it and just stayed behind me. As we went under the underpass I think he was going to try to lane split through but again it appears he decided against it.

I am bothered because none of it wouldn't have happened if he took the time to signal and check his blindspot before attempting the merge. Instead I am sure he passed it off as "Have a look, another rear end in a top hat in an M3". I take a lot of pride in being an involved and attentive driver. Hands on the wheel, checking mirrors and blindspots. Refusing to text/change music on my phone etc. Please validate me internet friends and strangers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Seminal Flu posted:

You were paying attention. He wasn't. Not your fault he got mad and had misplaced aggression (although it sounds like he was restrained, as well). No harm.

I hope it was this. I really didn’t bother my commute, I wasn’t in any compromising position. What bothered me was just hoping he didn’t get to work thinking about that jerk in the blue car when I in fact was not a jerk.

It should be noted that our morning “traffic” can barely be called traffic. All the space you could need and never having to drop below the posted limits make for a pretty chill start to the day.

• Locked thread