Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

epic bird guy posted:

Supposed to get around 4" of snow overnight.

wtf

Went to bed last night with a dusting, woke up this morning to about 3" on the ground.

WTF indeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Post more dogs...

Also bonus bird and cat shot:

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

nice dude, congrats!

i had salary negotiations this week and they wanted to give me 4%. i countered with 12% because without me 3 projects that are currently happening would not be doable since nobody else has my experience

my theme song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pn-6eOxnEMI

What's it like to have a job where giving raises is a thing that happens, rather than being endlessly told "well its just not in the budget, maybe next year"?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

im of the mindset where if they say that once i begin looking for a new job because if they arent able to afford the costs involved in retaining their employees with incentives and rewards then they shouldnt be in business at all

Yeah I've definitely adapted to this mindset. Biggest mistake I've ever made was sticking around for almost a decade at a job that gave 1.5% raises maybe once every three years.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
More dogs...

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Enourmo posted:

Isn't Michigan already the Florida of the north?

Never heard that one, but Ohio is frequently (and deservingly) called "the south of the north."

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
More puppy (well, small dog) tax:

My wife let Hazel pick her toys at work. Turns out she has a thing for bones.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
And here I just figured I was in the minority of only having one choice for ISP.

Spectrum is the only game in town for my neighborhood, at least they don't have data caps yet, and my service speed has gone up and the price down since they took over TWC -used to pay $80/month for 40 down/5 up, now its $65/month for 100 down/10 up. Seems to be far fewer service disruptions too.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Fermented Tinal posted:

Well, the city I live in passed a new bylaw a week ago, and it contains this whopper:

Usually cities don't have the resources to track down cars that violate these kind of bylaws and the only time they're enforced is if you leave your car on the street with an expired plate and a passing cop sees it or if a neighbor calls and complains.

You'll probably be fine as long as you're on good terms with your neighbors and don't cause an eyesore with your non-registered vehicles.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Job chat: just verbally accepted a systems admin position with a startup metal fabrication company.

Its going to mean an immediate 20% raise ($42,500 to $52,000/annually), 50% decrease in daily commute and most importantly, a substantial bump in title. This will be the first meaningful raise to my base pay that I've had since 2010.

Going to be working with another admin from the parent company in Detroit for the first six months, then after that I'll be running all things IT with guidance/direction from the home office. I'm still in the "pinch me, I'm dreaming" phase - currently working tech support for a small industrial printer company that could best be described as a struggling business in a dying industry. I've read the writing on the wall here and assuming the place doesn't go under in the next year or two it'll just be more of the same "raises aren't in the budget this year" bullshit I've been putting up with since 2010.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

LloydDobler posted:

Good for you! That $800 a month plus gas can really make a difference in savings and lifestyle. Never mind how much less time you spend in the car. Think about it, that's one beater Honda civic per month! Or one questionable motorcycle! Or 8 mediocre hookers!

Commute has been a major sticking point for me since taking my current job. I used to be a field technician and would routinely drive hundreds of miles per day, but either I've gone soft or it's different when you're not being paid by the hour to drive.

Took the day off to fill out all of the on-boarding paperwork, and just sent my resignation via email about 10 minutes ago. Kind of on eggshells waiting for a response as I'm not sure how they'll react - losing me now is going to be bad for them. The other guy in my department is in his 80s and probably should have retired 5 years ago, I'm just now getting really comfortable with their product line and the company is struggling to right itself after years of mismanagement.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Job chat: surprisingly I didn't get a reply from my manager after submitting my resignation today, but I guess they have a week and three days to ream me out in person.

Tax chat: spent about three months on unemployment last year so I've been dragging my feet on filing under the assumption that I'd end up owing. In a pleasant surprise I didn't end up owing anything to the state or federal governments, and am getting about $110 back between the two.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Job chat: current employer pulled the "you can't quit because you're fired" routine when I went in to work today - a stunning display of professionalism that is no less than I would expect out of them.

Already been in contact with my new employer, they have to confirm it but they're pretty sure they can start me next week :toot:

Fortunately we have just enough in the bank to cover all the bills through the end of the month in the event of a worst-case scenario.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Seminal Flu posted:

This was the first thing I did after walking through the door when I got home. I figure even if I don't end up getting anything it'll still mean they have to take time to respond to my claim.

e:

KakerMix posted:

How did they deliver the 'No, no, you're FIRED you see!' thing?

If it was "I quit" "No you're fired" the next line should have been you saying "Well you can tell yourself that I guess"

I took yesterday off to fill out all of the onboarding paperwork for my new job (and because why not, what are they going to do - fire me?) and emailed my resignation around 1 PM once that was complete.

Walked into the office this morning, immediately noticed my laptop was missing from my desk. Manager was waiting, said he got my email and that the company "no longer requires your services, please pack your personal belongings and get out." Packed my poo poo and was frog-marched out the door. Manager did shake my hand and wish me luck in the future, so it wasn't all bad.

My thinking is since the company is circling the drain (they were horribly mismanaged for years and might go belly-up by the end of this year) they don't want to pay someone who's still learning for another two weeks. Or they're just being vindictive assholes. Either way I don't really care, after I found out their promises of "raises down the road" to make up for coming in under salary requirements on my job offer was a lie or at best would be deferred for several years it turned into a lifeboat job that I'm more than happy to get out of.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Apr 18, 2018

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Job chat: previous employer is dicking me out of the balance of my PTO, claiming that I was terminated and did not in fact resign (policy is balance of PTO is paid if two weeks notice is given.) Not going to fight it - not worth the effort and they clearly need it more than I do.

On the upside new employer confirmed I can start Monday, so I'm not going to have to roll into the first full week of May on fumes.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Rhyno posted:

gently caress them.

Pretty much my sentiment at this point.

Returned my key this afternoon, manager ran and hid in the back when I approached the front door. Then the head accountant who answered the door acted like I was asking for the moon when I said I'd like something in writing that they received the key.

Laughably they've already posted my position on Glassdoor, and the only company review on file is mine, and it's scathing. It took them four months to fill the position last time, I can't imagine their job search is going to go any faster this time.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

The Locator posted:

How much PTO did you have left?

About a week's worth.

I honestly wouldn't expect wage & labor to do much. I'm in a state that isn't exactly labor friendly, and it's not like they're trying to stiff me on wages. At worst they're in violation of their own policies.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

ilkhan posted:

Wtf are you guys getting to have stupidly high bills?

Unlimited data plus payment and insurance on the latest and greatest flagship.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
The job I just left had me passing Costco on a daily basis, whereas its about a 20 mile one way drive otherwise.

I quickly learned to only buy what I could carry after I started making 3+ visits a week to "pick up the one thing we need" and would regularly walk out with at least $75 of stuff in a cart.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Phone chat: currently using a OnePlus 3t on Project Fi. While the phone lacks the radio to interface with Sprint's towers T-Mobile has such good coverage where I am that it really doesn't matter.

Phone is plenty fast for a year plus old flagship - uses the same Snapdragon 821 SoC as the Pixel/Pixel XL with more RAM, and if my previous track record is anything to go by I should get a good two to three years use out of it before replacement becomes necessary.

Best part is between owning my phone outright and keeping my data usage under control my bill rarely exceeds $40/month.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Darchangel posted:

I am somewhat surprised that Apple hasn't switched iPhones to the USB-C, though.

If they did that they wouldn't be able to license their IP rights to the lightning standard.

Which I'll maintain is also the reason they did away with the headphone jack on the most recent generation of iThings - it had nothing to do with making the device slimmer or doing away with "antiquated technology", it's all about getting licensing fees from companies that make accessories like credit card readers who now have no choice but to use Apple's proprietary connection.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Wait, how do they meet their fleet average fuel economy numbers?

Trump EPA will revise Obama fuel efficiency, greenhouse gas emissions rules for autos

With the EPA doing industry's bidding automakers' mentality is probably headed back to the 50s - gas will be plentiful and below $2/gallon forever and the government isn't forcing us to make them, so why would you need a small fuel-efficient car?!?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Started my new job this week, pretty great so far. I'm one of two IT guys in the entire company and the facility I'm working out of is basically going to become my own little fiefdom to run IT from as I (mostly) see fit.

In interest to some in this forum, the company is a metal fabricator/finisher that acquired a shuttered facility that contains (allegedly) the second largest powder coating line in North America (pic dump follows):

Start/end of the line where parts are loaded/unloaded to/from an overhead chain carriage:

Parts then pass through a wash line...

...and into a low-temperature drying oven:

Then into the spray booth:

And on to the finishing oven:

And through a cooling line before looping back around to where we started:

Production line runs 4/10 hour shifts Monday-Thursday and is shut down on Fridays, although they're still fine tuning everything after the line sat idle for over a year. And the pictures above only represent somewhere between 1/3 and 1/2 of the total facility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

spog posted:

How long before you have powdercoated everything you own?

Only problem there is (assuming they'd let me do it) I'd have to pick from primary colors, or wait for someone to place an order with a metallic finish.

• Locked thread