Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

thread of the year, goldmine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

So, after working all morning trying to seal up a piece of nylon (crack in the used/ebay countertop dishwasher's tub I just received in the mail -- not bad but a few drops per minute) it turns out the best glue is...hot glue? That's what I read online, and it seems to be working. Just have to turn the glue gun up to the maximum temp so you kind of melt the nylon as well to get the two to bond.

Hot glue DOES have a real use.

If heat from the water is melting other glues, I'm surprised jb weld wasn't the immediate go to.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

A manhattan made from cheap vermouth and evan williams on the rocks in a solo cup is still a fancy cocktail, right

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

nm posted:

There are so many things wrong with this, but the most important is that a manhattan is made out with loving rye.
The other good thing about rye is that the cheap rye is old overholt which is loving solid for manhattans.

This comment is triggering me in so many ways. I've also been served manhattans on the rocks and that also annoys me, but not as much as a fancy cocktail place making a standard manhattan with bourbon or something.

Just so we're clear, I got vermouth a while back for whatever reason, then decided to make something out of what i had on hand. I was not served this, except by myself.

E; also I honestly don't drink often and it's hard to justify having a well-stocked liquor selection

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Rhyno posted:

For lunch today I tossed 3 eggs, some leftover taco meat and the remnants of some shredded cheese into a pan. Topped it with some spicy ranch and it was goooood.

Eggs make any leftovers delicious.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

DesperateDan posted:

I got a panasonic tv awhile back. Just a non smart 1080p unit, great picture, perfect fit for the alcove.

Its got some tiny spiders in it now though. A pregnant money spider got inside and babied up the place and a few got inbetween the screen and the protective layer. Luckily the new subwoofer seems to be slowly vibrating them down, and it's nowhere near as distracting as when they were still alive and wiggly.

i heard they were bringing back WebTV but this is just ridiculous!

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

loving CHRIST I hate this senior design team. Can't wait to be loving done with this horseshit, at least when I'm on to the next thing there's a chance of getting along with the new people, instead of dealing with the same abrasive, arrogant dickhead forever.

E: At least our loving poo poo works now, but this dude just came back from vacation and is all like "Oh yeah, guess you guys were doing it wrong the other day, good thing I'm here to save you. Oh the instructions from the manufacturer said to do it [X] way? Well I talked to the company owner on the phone and he said to do it [Y] way, so you guys still hosed up and I'm awesome :smug::smug::smug:"

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Apr 7, 2018

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Isn't Michigan already the Florida of the north?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

My Brother, My Brother and Me is fantastic. It's a comedy "advice show" podcast that's basically audio shitposting by the McElroy brothers. Don't worry about listening through the archives, just listen to the latest episodes.

The Adventure Zone is done by the same guys plus their dad, it's the one MGS was raving about a while back, can confirm it's excellent. D&D podcast, it's actual play but very story/character heavy, rules/combat light; they're actually moving to other game systems for subsequent seasons to better accommodate what they're doing. It starts out as literally "MBMBAM does D&D", and then evolves into something incredible, albeit still with that same humor all the way to the end, so you're laughing your rear end off in between moments of "holy poo poo what's this wet stuff falling from my eyes".

Other than that, there's Welcome To Night Vale, of which the first few seasons at least are an excellent mix of surrealism, comedy, horror and sci-fi.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

TAZ is hard to sell mostly because the really good poo poo is also spoilerrific, but here's one of the early gems that's not, with bonus fan animation!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWPH9JyKCgw

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

You'll all be shocked to learn the Orlando is currently seeing mid 80s and humid in the day, leading to showers in the evening. Truly an earth-shattering revelation.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I stopped around episode 55-60 because life got in the way for a bit. It goes downhill?

Instead of continuing to think up new surreal poo poo they just keep twisting and crossbreeding ideas and characters they already had and going increasingly farther away from the initial idea. It was interesting enough when I binged up to like episode 95, but then going back to the early stuff it was a sharp contrast.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

looks like random jocks aren't the only ones who miss the message of Full Metal Jacket

https://twitter.com/USMC/status/986031495054811136

yes, truly an inspirational figure, in a film that makes the Marine Corps look good

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Adiabatic posted:

How's everyone doing this fine Tuesday morning? Everybody get their taxes done?

I'm in week 2 of my sprint to the finish for my degree, everything's on fire and i'm lowkey panicking nonstop.

So you know, comparatively not bad.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Oh dear god I just found out that our 6-hour-long senior design showcase is gonna have our table stationed outdoors. With suit and tie required.

end me now

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Apr 18, 2018

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I'm still rocking my S5 and literally my only issue is that the rear camera cover got cracked and gradually fell off, and now over the last year and a half the lens itself has gradually been getting more and more scratched. Other than that the chips in the plastichrome are pure badges of honor, and everything else that wears out is pretty easy to fix.

I'd replace the camera module but apparently it's the heater core of phone parts.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Olympic Mathlete posted:

At least vapes don't make you smell like an old pub ashtray.

I quit smoking (for the second time) about a month ago, and I've been actually using my vaporizer that I bought last summer. Did you guys know you can actually taste the juice when your nose isn't being annihilated by tobacco smoke? When I was smoking all vaping would do was dry out my mouth.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Today was my last lecture oh god i'm hyperventilating. Just some finals left and then I'm not a college student anymore. I'm not entirely convinced this is still real.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

BraveUlysses posted:

Good job 'mo

How long till you go back for your Master's? :v:

When and if a job pays me to, I've been in college since 200-and-goddamn-7 I am done with this life

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Larrymer posted:

How are you not a doctor at this point? That's eleven years.

Drug problems, brain problems, indecision about my major, hanging out with bad dudes; it took me a long time to purge my social circle of bad influences to the point I could realize how much they were hurting me, both directly and in terms of saying "gently caress college we'll go be pot judges in Amsterdam lol". Then I decided to change careers after finally going back and getting my first associate's degree (in mechanicking, lol sears auto) only to find out exactly 0 schools outside the Great Lakes area offer a bachelor's degree that follows on from an A.A.S. in Automotive Technology, so I basically had to go back and start my A.A. from scratch before I could get a bachelor's in anything.

Plus, the core class flowchart has a lot of really long prerequisite chains, to where if you fail any single one it pushes back completion; there's one that goes from College Algebra to Senior Design 2 that's about 11 semesters long best case. I laugh when people in other majors go "Oh I'm considering taking summer courses to get a little ahead"; for us it's not optional, the department presumes you to be taking summer classes every year until your senior year, and actually has a mandatory minimum summer credit requirement. Also some cases of multiple parallel prereqs, some of which were offered at my state college and some not, so I got into a state where I could only take a couple classes when I first transferred to the big school, so that threw me even farther off the "optimized course path" and made it take even longer.

Trust me when I say I am acutely aware of how long it's been.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Yeah around 60k is what I'm expecting, tbf I can live comfortably on that for a while while I figure out what comes next.

mekilljoydammit posted:

Absorb things, and set yourself apart by being willing to figure stuff out, but also don't be afraid to ask people for help - quietly struggling when you could have just gotten a hand up doesn't impress.

God I've already been on the frustrating side of this numerous times; people insistently volunteering on some aspect of the project as their sole responsibility, nary a peep all semester, then literally the night before we need it "Hey uh I'm having some trouble with this, idk if it's gonna work". Making things way more complicated than they need to be, building things way too flimsy to do the one thing they must do, etc.

Bajaha posted:

(And I still giggle at your devils lettuce title every time I see it.)

I've had a custom title voucher code that someone got me right after that whole thing went down, I've just been too lazy and/or uninspired to find a suitable replacement to spend it on :v:

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Apr 24, 2018

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Oh god dammit, bumped the a/c temp up while driving home just now and white smoke blew out the vents and fogged my windshield. I do not need to pay for a loving heater core right now.

E: The hoses are easy enough to get to, I guess I could just bypass it...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Frankly, Portman delivered the performance the scripts deserved.

E: also what's up i've basically been in a self-imposed coma since finishing the last of my finals stuff on Friday

• Locked thread