Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Enourmo posted:

thread of the year, goldmine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Wild Wild Country is, uh... :stonk:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Forgive me, Father, for I have sinned.

Hit a milestone today, though:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Holy poo poo, Wild Wild Country :stonklol:

Halfway through part 4.

I lived on the Oregon border (Idaho side) growing up and never heard about any of this. I listen to Last Podcast on the Left and ONWRaC, (both podcasts that talk about stuff like this) and it never has come up.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Paxton

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
So, after working all morning trying to seal up a piece of nylon (crack in the used/ebay countertop dishwasher's tub I just received in the mail -- not bad but a few drops per minute) it turns out the best glue is...hot glue? That's what I read online, and it seems to be working. Just have to turn the glue gun up to the maximum temp so you kind of melt the nylon as well to get the two to bond.

Hot glue DOES have a real use.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Enourmo posted:

If heat from the water is melting other glues, I'm surprised jb weld wasn't the immediate go to.

Tried JB(quick), plastic weld, and a marine. Nothing sticks to the nylon, even if I scuffed/scratched the surface up. The heat wasn't melting the other glues - they were just peeling off.

My two choices, from reading online a bit, were hot glue and Silicone II. Hot glue I guess bonds to the nylon (if it's applied hot enough) because it literally melts the surface of the nylon, if you get it above 280 C, and silicone makes a kind of crappy but better than other glue chemical bond.

I don't have any Silicone II on hand, but I do/did have some high-temp glue sticks and a cheap Aliexpress hot glue gun that gets WAY above 280 C if you put it on the "100W" (measured 60W) setting and let it sit for half an hour.

So, what I did was propped the dishwasher up so the corner with the crack was at the lowest point, let the hot glue gun heat up to above 280 C measured (confirmed by melting a piece of nylon weed whacker line against the tip of the gun), and I filled the corner with a poo poo-ton of glue so it had a nice thermal mass. I let that cool like 90% of the way, and went to peel it off. True to what I read, there was a thin layer of hot glue that had "ruined" the surface of the nylon, confirming a bond through thermal welding. So, I did it again, but this time I shut the (thankfully metal, so won't stick to the hot glue) door, and let it cool, but with the screws holding the door on loosened up a bit. This made a nice perfect gasket after I re-tightened the screws, pulling the door closer to the body of the dishwasher and slightly squeezing the hot glue.

Note: before I did all this, I tried to contact the ebay store that sold me the machine, so I could return it. Surprise surprise it was actually "skymallstore," and they stated to contact the manufacturer. The manufacturer, Ivation, doesn't even make countertop dishwashers anymore, and they haven't since 2015 from what I can tell. I must have bought post-bankruptcy skymall warehouse stock.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

InitialDave posted:

All I ask is for someone to invent an adhesive that works better on any actually useful substrate than it does on skin.

No joke, these are actually good. Which is crazy, because almost every other "Gorilla"-brand product is complete dogshit:

https://www.amazon.com/Gorilla-3034502-Glue-Sticks-45Count/dp/B06X1CZWC5

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Tomarse posted:

The gorilla wood glue is good stuff too

All I'm hearing is that somebody doesn't believe in our lord and savior, Titebond.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

QuarkMartial posted:

Did thistothat.com get posted or did I miss it?

Nylon is...special.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Darchangel posted:

Yeah it is. Part of the reason it's used where it's used is its slippery nature.
Polypropylene plastics in cars are also a pain in the dick when it comes to paint and adhesives.

I watched a video a few years ago by the Applied Science, he talked about this adhesives and polypropylene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBQp04glQqc

If you can't watch the video, he mentiones that the 3M Scotchweld 8005 is the only one he's found that really works for him for that plastic

https://www.amazon.com/3M-Scotch-Weld-Structural-Adhesive-Cartridge/dp/B007UULM6O/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

E: Fixed the product link, had the wrong one.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Apr 4, 2018

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
My buddy has a 1999 S10 with the 2.2l 4 banger that "blew a head gasket." He doesn't really maintain vehicles, and said it started spewing white smoke, and he's been "fighting" overheating for a few months. His commute is only about a mile down a straight road with no stoplights, so that doesn't say much.

I offered to help him fix it (all parts, gaskets, bolts are around $60 on rockauto AFTER shipping, jeeze these engines are cheap), and if it gets fixed up he's either going to list it on CL for $2200 or so (body is in good condition and small pickups are pretty valuable down here), or to me for $500.

Man I don't need a truck but (assuming we fix it) that's an easy-as-gently caress flip.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
ebay SUCKS! i HATE ebay

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
No seriously who the gently caress uses SAE :v:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Yeah. Just don't buy a Walmart TV (they're walmart-specific SKUs with stripped-down features and generally worse-quality panels 99% of the time), and avoid Spectre, Insignia, or Hisense, with reducing quality in that order. I've had multiple Hisense TVs die on me, and the other two are ones I've either had problems with, or garner a poo poo-ton of negative reviews on actual websites (like slickdeals or amazon) versus their store-specific websites with "catered" reviews (like bestbuy.com). Don't get a curved TV.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I think it was

"Everyone, buy a 1080p TV"

'Okay, everybody has an HDTV now'

"Everyone, buy a 3D TV!"

'Nobody bought 3D TVs/the market is dead"

"Everyone, buy smart TVs!"

'The people who want to have already done that.'

"EVERYBODY BUY 4K TVs NOW"

'4k kinda prices out most of the market / the early adopters already have 4k'

"Attack the whales (early adopter/big purchasers)! Release curved 4k screens!"

'Curved TVs have failed and/or are stupid'

<in the meantime, prices start dropping for 4k TVs, and the other 90% of the market can now afford them>

We are at today.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
That was last month, sir. I do believe the proceeds from the animal picture surplus paid for this month's fees.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
AvE has gone completely off the deep end these past two months or so.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Seat Safety Switch posted:

How so? I figured it was only going to be a matter of time before he fixated into some weird corner of engineering/hobbies and becomes one of those old guys who has a million extremely specific 60+ minute videos about something nobody cares about.

About 4/5ths of his recent videos can be summed up as "I did ONE SAMPLE and it invalidates EVERYTHING I DISLIKE." The other 1/5th can be summed up as "loving losers, I'm so much smarter than EVERYONE." His thumbnails, while they used to be tongue-in-cheek clickbaity, are now just straight up "drank the kool-aid" clickbait.

And yeah, he's really getting tired of his own shtick.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Hah I was just cased for burglary. Fuckers.

<frantic knocking>

"Do you know a...uh... "John"? Does he live here?"

No

"Are you sure?" <leans forward to try to take a look inside my place>

THERE IS NO JOHN HERE! <they back away a bit>

<close door>

I do have cameras and an online backup account. Four cameras completely cover the apartment and porch.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
The best review of RP1 described it along the lines of: if you're young enough to enjoy the plot, you won't get half the references. If you're old enough for the references, you have better things to do.

I enjoy schlock, especially Spielberg shlock (the terminal is a fav of mine) but I will be skipping what I perceive to be peak wankbait, RP1.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I need an instant pot so bad. Used to have one in the last relationship but it was hers so when we split I lost it.

So loving useful. And I know that it's just a general pressure cooker, but the huge community with bespoke recipes centered around an instant pot's size and orientation means it's nice to just follow the directions directly sometimes.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Supposedly, there is a new version coming out so all the retailers have their existing stock on blowout. Mine is great, but I wouldn't say it changed my life (outside of this recipe, because holy gently caress it's good).

That's a good recipe, looks like.

I hate how recipe websites have huge fuckoff blog stories before the recipe itself, though, so I found this addon for chrome that extracts the recipe itself from the blog post and makes it easily printable/savable.

I did see an Instant Pot at walmart for $50, but I know walmart forces manufacturers to create specific SKUs that are often a lot cheaper in quality than other places/online, so I held off. Maybe it wasn't a dud after all, didn't know about the refresh.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Okay so I know that post seemed like I was being a gigantic pussy but I didn't really put into words just how wrong and 100% obvious it was that the place was being cased. I've had it happen before, once with the standard "are you interested in the security system I am selling?" scam, and another time with the "does X live here?" scam. Doesn't make me paranoid, just prepared. I've lived in this place for two months now and that is the first time anybody has knocked on the door, and she was very interested in what the inside of my apartment looked like, despite me taking up the opening and closing the door to my shoulder to try to block it. IDK how else to put it, just very obvious. I just moved one of the cameras from a few feet behind the blinds, to the exterior side of the blinds so it is more visible.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Congrats on not currently being shot.

I’m happy because my local sports team beat another sports team by putting the round ball in the hoop more than the opposing team and now get to attend the playoffs. They are very fun to watch and this is the only ballsports game I even pay attention to.

In vidya game land we are pitting entire sports against other sports! I am sad that my sport lost to the other team's sport.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Powershift posted:

Global warming could be a reason it's snowing outside on april 9th. The polar jetstream getting all fucky is ruining everything.

On the plus side, the North Atlantic Current getting destroyed is gonna turn England into Canada, and that's going to be pretty funny.

Check out the global map of wind. At this point, I'd be like, "what North Atlantic Current?" because holy hell it's gone.

Larrymer posted:

Anybody have podcast recommendations? I think somebody did an effort post (MGS maybe?) on this sometime back. I've just started listening to them so I haven't listened to much. So far I like the ESPN 30 for 30s, and Serial. I couldn't get into Lore despite being a nerd. Same for a video game podcast I tried.

I haven't done an effortpost about podcasts yet (I think?), just YouTube channels. However, here's my current list of podcasts. I use Podcast Addict to listen to them, but just search with whatever you use (Google Play, iTunes, Amazon, whatever) to find them.

99% Invisible: Roman Mars (and his sultry, perfect voice), along with his producers, walk through various elements of design. This isn't just architecture like you'd think, but instead the gamut. From early efforts in military rain-making, airships, gerrymandering (in a surprisingly non-political overview!), beer, or why money is the color it is. Shorter format (usually <30 minutes), perfect for a commute. If I could wish on a genie to give me infinite episodes of one podcast, it would be this.

Crimetown: Finished up with its first season, you get 18 hour-long episodes about Buddy Cianci, Providence RI, and the mob. Featuring interviews, old audio footage, and a masterful soundtrack, you learn about organized crime and corruption in a major city. I'm really glad they started with Providence. They elected a convicted felon as a mayor, for his third term!

Judge John Hodgman: This one isn't as "factual" as the rest, instead just a really easy-going podcast where people bring John Hodgeman their "social lawsuits," and he weighs in on them. I like it because he's extremely level-headed, non-political, and it give an insight into other people's lives that I never would have thought of before. This is the one podcast on my list where I don't listen to every. single. episode, but just pick up one when I want to be cheered up, or have a bout of curiosity.

Last Podcast on the Left: Primarily, a podcast about serial killers. Three dudes in the standard setup (the fact explainer/reader, the funnyman, and the straight man/foil) go through the lives of "heavy hitter" serial killers. Episodes are usually ~45-60 minutes, and the big heavy hitters are normally ~3-5 episodes. Casey Anthony was only 2 episodes, Rasputin will be 3 I think. Skip over the episodes about chemtrails or aliens (they don't believe in them or anything, but the humor falls apart when you deal with current real-life crazies). This is a comedy podcast.

My Brother, My Brother, and Me: A McElroy podcast, each episode is around ~60 minutes. Three brothers, Justin, Griffin, and Travis McElroy, talk about life by answering questions they either find on Yahoo Answers, or are sent in by listeners. You get the combined hilarity of three well-trained comedic partners combined with the absurdity of Yahoo Answers. Has special segments that pop up randomly where they also riff on "food experiences" created by fast food joints (nacho fries at Taco Bell, anyone?), or find "haunted dolls" on eBay (seriously, do an eBay search for "haunted dolls," it's crazy). Also follows the "standard 3-dude setup," but on a round-robin style where they switch off. It's weird to explain, but what the three brothers say often isn't funny in and of itself, but it's how they use language that makes things hilarious. Not through hip-hop fast-talk trickery or anything, but by creating a space with words, and then playing in it. Give it a listen.

Radiolab: Longtime heavy hitter on the actual FM radio scene, but in a longer (~50 minute) format for podcasts. Like This American Life, with less focus on Ira Glass and more focus on a rhythmic storytelling beat.

Sawbones: A Marital Tour of Misguided Medicine: Justin McElroy and his doctorwife Sydney McElroy talk about the history of current and past medical trends. Ambulances, Bee Venom Therapy, Tide Pods (?), Eugenics, Opioids, etc. A comedy podcast.

Reply All: a Gimlet podcast, released every two weeks or so. The subtitle is "A podcast about the Internet," but it often goes way beyond that. For example: in one three-episode series, they get a scam tech support call from India, and actually travel to India to meet with the boss of the fake-tech-support call-center. Or, someone calls them asking for help in figuring out these weird emails they've been getting, and they end up meeting with a former NSA agent for explanation. Or a woman in Israel starts an accidental revolution originating with her Facebook page. It gets crazy, and is well-produced. Don't forget the ending skits after the credits by the Mysterious Brake Master Cylinder (their DJ).

Song Exploder: The musician themselves for one of their songs breaks the song down, both with words and audibly, so you can learn its genesis. Very, very good, one of the original "must listen" podcasts. Do you want to listen to Damon Albarn (of the Gorillaz) break down Andromeda? Or James Hetfield and Lars Ulrich break down Moth into Flame? It's pretty loving awesome.

The Adventure Zone: The McElroy brothers (Justin, Travis, Griffin), and their dad (a longtime radio personality, Clint McElroy), play D&D so hard that they cry. I know that sounds nerdy as poo poo, but stick with me. None of them really know how to play D&D, and it is a podcast more about the story than the mechanics. Griffin (the DM, Dungeon Master) inadvertently weaves a beautiful story that absolutely destroyed me by the end. The first five episodes or so are about them getting their footing with the game and how the story unfolds, and is full of a lot of missteps. However, later in the campaign, those missteps come back in a major, and beautiful way that reveals an experience that simply could not be created in any other media. I understand it's not for everyone, but it's something that I will hold close to my heart as an experience for the rest of my life (like seeing Jurassic Park for the first time in theaters, or my favorite trip to a theme park, or a family road-trip gone wrong).

The Memory Palace: Nate DiMeo walks through beautiful setpieces from history (even recent history), with a fairly stark, unique, and audibly soothing setpiece. Each episode is short (<15 minutes, some are only 5), but at the end of each one I guarantee you'll have a moment of reflection. No matter what other podcasts you choose, I'd recommend queuing up three or four of these for listening to between other tasks, whenever you've got a minute. I've cried at a few just from the shock of realization that they can give.

Wonderful!: Griffin McElroy and his wife Rachel spend less than an hour (some are ~30 minutes) each week talking about what makes them happy. An extremely positive (without being cheesy-saccharine) podcast that has literally pulled me from depression. The way Griffin and Rachel play with language in explaining who their favorite sitcom character is, the best time to go to a movie theater (and why that's their favorite), playing four square as a kid and why it's beautiful, their favorite candy or food, or how beautiful the peace and quiet of a baby who has just fallen asleep is, is just wonderful and uplifting and beautiful.

Til Death do us Blart: Tim Batt, Guy Montgomery, Griffin McElroy, and an unsuspecting poor sap have formed a blood pact where they watch Paul Blart Mall Cop 2 once a year on each Thanksgiving. This podcast is too beautiful for this world, and a global treasure. They've done three years so far, and each year is better than the last. On year 2 Griffin watched it synced up to Dark Side of the Moon, and it was a religious experience for us all. Again, the way language is used is beautiful. Check out this excerpt from that episode and tell me you don't want more:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7wyfTsIm1k

More Perfect: Just listen to this if you want to learn about the Supreme Court of the United States. Seriously. It is insane and good and each episode gives you a poo poo-ton of insight into why law is the way it is.

Postscript: These are podcasts that I also listen to, but I don't feel like typing up right now:

Criminal
Invisibilia
Oh No with Ross and Carrie
Part-Time Genius (I kinda fell away from this one, it's good tho)
Rumor Files
Stuff You Missed in History Class (I was addicted to this one for a solid year, it's only an occasional listen now)
Stuff You Should Know (I listened to this one straight during the three days I drove my old VW bus from Portland to Phoenix, and the inertia from that trip carried me onto listening for it for another six months)
The Allusionist
This American Life
We Hate Movies (pick a bad movie from their list and they'll tear it apart. Again, "three dude" setup with the funnyman, fact-reader, and foil)
Welcome to Night Vale
What Trump Can Teach Us About Con-Law
Hardcore History (this one is an epic, but each episode is so long that I have to set aside a day. Epic, epic storytelling/historywork, but most of my podcasts are "stuff to listen to while the hands are busy". Give it a shot tho)

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Apr 9, 2018

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

iwentdoodie posted:

The first few seasons, yeah. Then it got wayyyy too far up it's own rear end.

I stopped around episode 55-60 because life got in the way for a bit. It goes downhill?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Well, at least I've got 30 or so good ones to look forward to :unsmith:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Also, apparently I clenched my jaw so hard last night that my entire head hurts and it feels like I have an ear infection (but I'm 99% certain it's literally pulled muscles/tendons in my jaw, because it's both sides). I know I grind my teeth when I sleep but holy poo poo I am dead today.

Having just moved I didn't realize that I didn't have any ibuprofen, so I headed to Costco and bought some.

You can kick in any time now, pills.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
CA has ALL the money and 1/8th the population of the US, though. And money buys drones, and drones supercede your AR-15.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

everdave posted:

I hope you really don’t believe this. We have all the drones and tanks and missiles in the world and we can’t wipe out ISIS and cave people and all that jazz for a reason.

Yes, but we have maps of Texas.

Previa_fun posted:

I'll have to check out some of these podcast recommendations. Currently my weekly listens are pretty much all the McElroy content, The Dollop (two comedians riff on a story from American history, sometimes one that parallels a modern event) and Chapo Trap House (leftist podcast mostly ripping on dumb media folks but occasionally they'll have a good guest interview)

I forgot about the dollop!

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
And we have a highway system so we can just, like, drive the tanks there instead of shipping them overseas. And also they use a money that only has value because everyone believes it has value, and also that money exists in decentralized computer systems. And also civilians and world image. And also FOOD and bartering systems (and the lack thereof).

If any state tried to leave, or if a war were declared against a rogue state, even Texas, that state would be hosed.

Nobody cares about your guns at home (I say this as a supporter). It's literally irrelevant in the big picture.

In this theoretical Cali vs Texas debate, one has food, water, money, and people. The other has less. Still a lot, but less.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I went to Costco today (while sick, didn't know it at the time but the world was all "zoomed in", in hindsight) and spent like $100 on a handful of things.

I mean, now I have soap, mouthwash, ibuprofen, peanut butter, and canned veggies for weeks/months. But 100 loving dollars!

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
So, I clench my jaw when I'm "idle." Always have. When sleeping, grind my teeth. When awake, have to constantly (constantly!) remind myself to let my jaw loosen up. Like, just had to right now.

Woke up day before yesterday with the worst headache I've ever had. Okay, maybe second worst. Worst was a migraine that came on right as I finished Xenosaga Episode II on the PS2 in my parent's basement. (Hurt so bad it didn't feel like pain anymore, and I threw up, and laid on the concrete floor and thought "this is how I die," but then it resolved a few minutes later and I literally had a "life moment" about how bad it was and how quickly it passed, but I digress). I thought, much like that first migraine, "this is how I die," and I prepared for the worst. The entire left half of my face was swollen a bit (and, still kind of is, even 1.5 days later), and I thought that I honestly had hodgkin's lymphoma or something, because it felt like one lymph node was swollen.

It hurt so bad I just stayed in bed all day, which is something I never really do, even if I'm actually ill. I kept checking my temperature, but was a cool 36.6, so no fever or anything. I did a hydrogen peroxide and white vinegar flush of my ears, just in case it was an ear infection (I had those all the time as a kid).

Apparently it's just a chance that I essentially got a charley horse (muscle spasm/cramp) in my neck/head. Just like a charley horse, it can take a few days for the pain to go away. I can't open my mouth all the way without extreme (an honest 8/10) pain, and life sucks.

Gotta stay hydrated, folks.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Xenosaga II wasn't that bad.

It was, friend. It was.

(though I still cry at "kokoro," everytim")

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Looks like either a BA7S or a BA9S.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
A house with two kids and a GF that primarily use netflix and plex and you'll hit a 1TB cap very easily.

Data caps are an artificial limit solely for moneymaking, and bullshit. If you have a few "whales" that drag the infrastructure down, then traffic shaping is a better deterrent, or just plain upgrading your infrastructure so you can actually deliver on the promise you're selling. To do otherwise is peak late stage capitalism.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I hope he likes bill creep.

Cox is the worst for bill creep. Started at 44.99 five years ago, crept up to 79 loving dollars without any plan changes.

Cancelled them, waited 30 days, signed up for a new plan under a different billing address for the equivalent 29.99 plan.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Tonight's the night, boys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
No, no. I'll allow it.

• Locked thread