Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

No joke, these are actually good. Which is crazy, because almost every other "Gorilla"-brand product is complete dogshit:

https://www.amazon.com/Gorilla-3034502-Glue-Sticks-45Count/dp/B06X1CZWC5

The gorilla wood glue is good stuff too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

OZYMANDICKASS posted:

Man these boots are gonna own in like 6 months

Get some dubbin and use it!. On my new Doc's I used the D.M. "wonder balsam" fancy dubbin and then left them by a warm radiator for a couple of days for it to soak in. Repeat after wearing them for a day. It makes loads of difference and got them comfy after 2 days and broken in after a week. I found that going to a few busy metal gigs also helped :)

spog posted:

That happened to somebody I knew and they changed their policy for one with glass coverage and lived with the chip for 6 weeks to avoid suspicion.

I was seriously considering this when my screen got cracked, but then I rang around more and managed to get the price of the replacement screen down a lot further. In my case a replacement screen cost £190 all in. The cheapest insurance that included glass coverage was about £200 more than the one I currently have without it - but there was still a £75 or £100 excess to pay for screen replacement.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

InitialDave posted:

Huh. Some caravan utilising nomadic traveller sorts have helped themselves to a couple of old Landie axles I had sat in a corner by my hedge. Including lifting them over the fence. I'll pull the CCTV footage but I suspect it's just on the edge if what the cameras see.

It's a minor irritation, but I'm not entirely sure why they nicked them. They're not really worth any great amount to either sell or weigh in relative to the sheer effort of moving the drat things.

Ah well. Hopefully they'll pick on a nice retired gentleman next and get stabbed to death.

As someone who has also owned and moved around multiple landrovers worth of axles then if they did indeed lift them over a fence by hand then they deserve them.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Our Uk/Euro pex sounds a lot easier than your US stuff. With ours you just cut the pipe, push an insert into the end and then push it into the fittings which then hand tighten. You can use olives and compression fittings on it too if you like with the same inserts :)

I need to get some 3metre long lengths of worktop home from the shop about 6 miles away and a fiat panda is currently my only road legal vehicle. Am I wrong to be considering removing the passenger seat in order to attempt this? (If I pay them to deliver it takes 2-3 weeks)

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

InitialDave posted:

Bitch, please. Hang that poo poo out the back with a knackered hi-vis jacket taped on the end of it.

If more than half the length is in, it's a decent Friday night perfectly safe.

I think the seat will have to come out to get more than half penetration without it dragging on the ground at the back.

cakesmith handyman posted:

This felt dangerous and left me nervous about poor visibility when I did it with a Volvo wagon with a spotter calling out hazards approaching from the passenger side, I wouldn't be happy trying it in anything smaller. Do you have roof bars?

Nope and you cant fit them on mine because of the fancy roof.

I've moved 4.8m long 2x4's in the LR before (poked through the screen vents so that they stuck out about 1m at the front). I think I'll have to do some proper measuring in the Panda. Might have to take the back seat out too in order to get them to sit level..

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

stump posted:

Sounds like a lot of hassle when b&q rent transits out for £15 an hour. B&Q will cut on site for free too, if you aren’t using them as full lengths you might fit them in the panda easier.

When we done our kitchen we just got the countertops delivered (wickes, £30) because I couldn’t be bothered trying to fit 3m of countertops in 2m of vivaro.

I did manage to fit some 2.4m rails and 2mx0.5m sheets in my wife’s Peugeot 208 with the hatch shut which I was pretty surprised with though. Was going to get b&q to cut them for me but the bloody machine was broken.

poo poo, I didn’t know b and q rented transits and by the hour! I’d priced one for the day from elsewhere and it wasn’t worth it but I can get one for 2 hours from my local b and q for £20 which sounds much easier!

Delivery would also be even easier but there is roughly a 3.5 week wait time to get a delivery slot and I want to fit it before then as I have some free time.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

spog posted:

Don't you own a landrover that is quite long?

256.54 cm to be exact. It's even in the name!

I actually own exactly 4.8 m of landrovers, but none of it is road legal until May the 20th when it all becomes MOT and tax exempt! :)

(Yes, this was kinda bad planning on my behalf)

cakesmith handyman posted:

So glad we mostly get our taxes done automatically. Worst case we overpay and get it back automatically.

:cry: (Limited Company)

Tomarse fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Apr 17, 2018

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

spog posted:

Britgoons:

I am sure you are all familiar with EuroCarParts https://www.eurocarparts.com/ and their bizarre pricing strategy of high prices on the website with discount codes on the same website.

Well, I found this oddly-similar site https://www.carparts4less.co.uk/ with a smaller range of the same products at cheaper prices, even with the ECP discount codes applied.

I ordered from both and they are the same company: same products, same DHL shipping, same packaging, everything

https://www.buycarparts.co.uk/ and https://www.autodoc.co.uk/ do a similar thing where they have a constant 10%/15%/20% sale going on. When the countdown finishes a new sale starts
(both companies are the same one. Its based in Germany and they've been pretty good when i've used them)

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

The Door Frame posted:

Doesn't someone on here own 2 of them or something?

I wouldn't mind a 500c Abarth, myself

I don't think you guys get the 2 Cyl Turbo 'Twinair' version do you?

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

I had a day off today. Was planning on fitting my last remaining kitchen unit which I have had to get delivered as the stores had no stock. Delivery just arrived and one out of 4 items is missing - and of course its the main base unit that I needed. The other bits were drawers and door panels which I ordered mainly to get the free postage on the base unit :doh:

However, I have also been to pick up my wheels and I have decided that black was a good idea :coal:

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

spog posted:

I'm guessing they aren't for one of your landies - what vehicle are they for?

T'is a nice colour.

They will be going on this:

However that photo is now close to 10 years old and the car is no longer that shiny and currently doesn't have a working engine so they will likely spend 12-18 months in storage before they get fitted back onto a nice shiny car :(

Just having the wheels is motivating me to get poo poo done. They are now in my living room. I may leave them there..

Tomarse fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Apr 21, 2018

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

No photo of your middle fingat infront of a snapped off extractor. :colbert:

Does it have a captive nut on the back. If so then be careful if you are gonna drill it out and re-tap

I think you could probably drown it in plus gas and then still weld something onto that bolt. Feel free to bring it over here if you want to try (I've got a mig and gas)

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

I was utterly knackered when I went to bed last night, and I stayed up late trying to get my 3D printer to set off an overnight print as octoprint was being a dick.

I managed to set the print off but apparently did it with supports turned off so it was loving pointless as it all collapsed. default settings shouldn't let this happen!.
I also bought loads of stuff on Amazon Prime at 11pm and forgot about it until it was delivered thismorning. I live in the lovely northern wastelands of the UK not in a major city so 12 hour delivery on a Sunday AM is quite impressive and very dangerous.

I also had a dream where 14" Dave and InitialDave moved into my house and helped me rebuild an engine in my kitchen before helping to improve my house

I didn't drink anything last night. Help.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

spog posted:

We all have odd sex dreams.

:lol: I have noticed that the ABS I am printing with really stinks so maybe that got to me!

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

spog posted:

I used a washing-up bowl to catch the oil from an oil change. I spent yesterday afternoon and evening pondering on how I could clean it:

Washing outside by a drain will contaminate groundwater
Washing on hard ground will kill plants
Washing in house will block drains
Wiping with newspaper will result in dripping papers
Wiping with kitchen towel will result in large pile of oily waste
Sealing in a plastic bag will inevitably leak before I use it again.

I woke up this morning with an eureka moment: 'throw it away you god-drat moron.'

I'm not sure why you would want to clean it that well? Prop it to drain it like InitialDave says and then just leave it for the next use.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

spog posted:

I am embarrassingly unshedded and ungaraged, so anything I use keep has to stay indoors. If it's not dry, I will leak and make a mess.

I spend far too long, leaning over the bath and decanting a 5 litre bottle of windscreen fluid into empty coke bottles. It had sprung a leak, but fortunately the shipping bag was sealed and caught most of it.
My hallway does smell of Tutti-Fruitti - which isn't too bad

I pity the man without a shed or garage to call his own (or even a carport)

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

spog posted:

Apartment with a parking space

Every job starts we me having to schlep all my tools all the way down to the car.
Then back up again afterwards. That includes a hydraulic jack and axles stands

You can see why I get rightly hacked off when I discovered that the one socket/extension bar/adaptor is not in the kit I have and I have to go back and get it.

Even though I take far too many tools with me, I'm always caught out by an odd-sized bolt, screw or the the fact that my 'professional' socket set was clearly not designed by someone who uses these things everyday. (Yesterday, I learnt that you can't use the 16mm socket on the biggest ratchet, just the medium-sized one. I'd willingly skip the lovely screwdriver bits if it meant they gave me the right adaptors instead.)

I regret to inform you that even when you are working from/in a proper garage that the tool you really want is never where it should be and is guaranteed to be the one that you used in the house/lent to a mate/left in the other car.

everdave posted:

Last weekend was staying in a fairly nice place and at 9am (when it is a 12 pm check out) they used their key and tried to come into the room, that was insane! Won't name them because they refunded my points but man I was out all night and it was one night without kids and I wanted to just crash and sleep late.

I stay in a lot of hotels and now always lock myself in after that happening too many times and also after having had my room key reissued to someone else when I was already in the room. I now sleep soundly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Rhyno posted:

Best way to blank a laptop before junking it is to pull and smash the hard drive right?

That's the most secure and likely quickest way yes.

However, if you wanted to leave it intact you can also/instead download something like DBAN and erase it with that. You burn it onto a CD/stick it on a USB and can tell it to do a multi-pass erase of the disk

• Locked thread