Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

I knew the fronts were shot so I assumed the rest were bad too but dang. Tomorrow is bushing replacement day :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Fermented Tinal posted:

This. ^^^^^

Seriously, KakerMix, you're going to potentially fight like hell to get the nut off the first bolt and then that's when the problems begin.

Hey now I didn't mean to imply it's going to be easy but I've got time and I'm not on any sort of time schedule.
I didn't have too much trouble at all with the Rugger and that's 6 years older so I remain optimistic.

Besides today I fought like hell changing the oil on the Liteace because wowee that filter location. The bushings at least won't be as hot.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Fermented Tinal posted:

This. ^^^^^

Seriously, KakerMix, you're going to potentially fight like hell to get the nut off the first bolt and then that's when the problems begin.

Guess what I just finished up doing :smug: :smug: :smug:

Started at 10 am, it's now 4:30 so let's say 7 hours. Besides the surprise of having to lower the fuel tank (which I just filled up yesterday) to get the rear shackles off everything went as I expected. The thing doesn't have any rust at all so I was only fighting undercoating as I threaded these nuts off for the first time. Absorber bushings are also shot so I figure I'll just replace all four absorbers later.

I had a worse time with changing the Liteace's oil than the leaf bushings in this Cruiser.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

everdave posted:

I hope you really don’t believe this. We have all the drones and tanks and missiles in the world and we can’t wipe out ISIS and cave people and all that jazz for a reason.

Geeze you have a really low opinion of Texas! :haw:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Got a text from Cox saying I'm pretty close to my cap. I check their stupid meter thing and yeah I'm close but its time stamped two days ago.

-----
Marie B. at 11:13, Apr 12:
Good morning. It is wonderful to have you here with us today. Allow me a few minutes to check your request. I will return in a moment.
Marie B. at 11:13, Apr 12:
How may I help you?
MoS at 11:14, Apr 12:
Is there a place that the Data Usage meter is actually useful and updates?
Marie B. at 11:15, Apr 12:
I apologize for you being having issues by checking the usage meter, please try to access this tab from your online account using a different browser.
MoS at 11:16, Apr 12:
This has nothing to do with my browser. "Usage as of: 04/10/18" <- this is not useful as the 10th was two days ago.
MoS at 11:16, Apr 12:
Is there a place that I can check my data usage thats close to current?
-----

tldr the answer is no, get hosed. The provided meter is bad by design enjoy paying us extra for literally no reason

I'm probably a part of the problem but I upgraded to Comcast business class years ago. Sure I pay more than most people but no data caps and I can do whatever the hell I want and they don't ask questions regarding data use. I'm a business you see :eng101:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Enourmo posted:

looks like random jocks aren't the only ones who miss the message of Full Metal Jacket

https://twitter.com/USMC/status/986031495054811136

yes, truly an inspirational figure, in a film that makes the Marine Corps look good

Just like when you pass a Republican political rally where they play "Born in the USA" by Springsteen. :patriot:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

redgubbinz posted:

Is Amazon basically another Alibaba/AliExpress now? I was searching for a cheap USB microphone and came up with such storied brands as "XIAOKOA" and "oenbopo." I'm assuming they're all pumped out in from the same factory and will last about 6 months...

Yes.
Don't shop on Amazon, shop in the internet proper to find a good mic, then check out Amazon to find it.
I haven't used Amazon to shop in a while now because it's turned to black-box algorithm recommend poo poo.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

redgubbinz posted:

That's what I usually do, I was just going to buy whichever USB mic was under $20 or so and had the most reviews but I went down the rabbit hole of offshore stank and found gems like this

Qxcynsef: A Household Name You Can Trust, If Not Pronounce!

e: I don't know who this Ricky Hao is, but he has his own LLC, what a go-getter

Alternatively some of the "good" things are made in China with a logo slapped on them. A lot of times you can find knockoff things that are identical to something name brand.
If the good stuff is made in China on the same lines as the knockoff stuff then I have no qualms about buying the cheaper knockoff stuff (as long as it isn't food, medicine, drivetrain car parts) since it's all the same poo poo.

That mic you linked might be great :shrug:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
My insistence in maintaining OEM (or direct replacement) parts on my cars has me ordering a fuel filter from the UAE :toot:

I just had to go and fix the fuel air mixture sensor in the Crown that then made the car not run 100% rich the whole time which in turn exposed that the filter is less-than-good to maintain fuel pressure.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

BuckyDoneGun posted:

New Zealand. By 2022, 87% of the population is expected to have access to FTTH.

Wanna move to this 'new' Zealand you speak of.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Geoj posted:

Job chat: current employer pulled the "you can't quit because you're fired" routine when I went in to work today - a stunning display of professionalism that is no less than I would expect out of them.

Already been in contact with my new employer, they have to confirm it but they're pretty sure they can start me next week :toot:

Fortunately we have just enough in the bank to cover all the bills through the end of the month in the event of a worst-case scenario.

How did they deliver the 'No, no, you're FIRED you see!' thing?

If it was "I quit" "No you're fired" the next line should have been you saying "Well you can tell yourself that I guess"

I ordered a set of 4 BF Goodrich K02s for my Land Cruiser because gosh they are just the best looking tire for a 4x4 (it's really all about the white letters). And just like when I bought a set for the Rugger the cheapest place by a good amount is 4wheelparts.com since they match the price as everyone else (190 a tire in this case) but you get a $50 dollar discount on buying 4, and for me I get free delivery. You'd think Costco would have them beat but nope!
I don't understand it. I guess the downside is now I get a magazine from them filled with POISON JEEP RAGAGAAHGAHG stuff which is about as far away from what I like that is possible but how are they supposed to know what I'm putting these tires on?

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Apr 18, 2018

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
The hot and real take is this ready:
Get the hell out of Indiana.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

NumbersMatching320 posted:

In my experience the type of person who'd instigate a situation that led to such a scene is not often a great person to work with so you probably dodged a bullet. I hope you smiled back.

"How hey I know how this interview is going to go. Last time I saw you was being tazered on the sidewalk so yeah this isn't going to work out"

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Pet tollllll

I know there has to be some application where white lettered tires don't rule hard on whatever vehicle they are put on but I haven't found it yet.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Minnesota Mixup posted:

I use google fi and average $25/mo for my cell phone. It's also really nice being able to go to other countries and not have to activate anything special or whatever and still getting good data speeds for the same rate.

And also to know exactly what your bill will be if you go crazy and suck down data. Oh no I burned 7 gigs of data and was only charged 10 bucks a gig for the first 6 dang :toot:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Goddamn Facebook marketplace is so Facebook.

I put the Rugger on it, fill out the description, load up the pictures, description, etc. Immediately after posting Facebook blocks the ad and goes "THIS ITEM DOESN'T MEET OUR SELLING REQUIREMENTS". I think about it for two seconds, click the 'dispute' button and type "This is not a gun, it is a truck, and is perfectly safe. It's pronounced Rug-Er not Rooger." Don't they have hyper specialized software to examine pictures and poo poo rather than just going 'Rugger looks like ruger and must be a gun, despite the pictures being of a car and the description describing a car and the post itself being in the automobile sales section so FLAG'.

Craigslist has a section to put the mileage outside of the description box that only shows miles. If you don't put anything in there it doesn't list the mileage in the side bar on the right. When I sell JDM tyte rides on there I usually leave this blank because there is no way to list it as km rather than miles. Sometimes I convert it to miles then explain in the description. Facebook, however, is so loving Facebook about it that exposes their outlook on information that people put about themselves. They have it the same way, a section outside of the description box where you can put the mileage. When I listed this Land Cruiser I have I didn't put anything there since it's optional. I put it in the description section though, that it has 280,000 kms on it, converting to around 175,000 miles. Put the ad up and go to bed. Wife tells me this morning that Facebook is showing (like I had put it in the non-description box mileage section) 280,000 miles. gently caress you Facebook quit assuming poo poo based on a set of numbers you have in the description box. Why that set of six numbers and not the other set? :argh:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
I just bought an AZ-1

No tall people allowed.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
I actually just got a refurbished Google Pixel off Amazon for 250 bucks, the one with the headphone jack. It's pretty nice.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

mekilljoydammit posted:

I'm just bringing this up but, switching from handmedown iPhones to Android stuff about 5 years ago... what the hell are people talking about with the "omg Apple stuff just works vs Android" thing? I seriously don't get the difference in ease of usability, save that all of the iPhones got to where they worked fine and then one update would make them work like poo poo.

It sure sounds like a Mac vs. PC thing that was all the rage years ago, where Macintosh just 'worked' and the PC was filled with viruses and maleware and all that. I've never heard nor seen a usability difference in people using Android or Apple. Whatever they learned on is what they like and people tend to stick with it in my experience. Besides my wife, she had an iPhone and liked it very much till I got an android and changed my ringtones for all my different contacts just by dropping MP3s on my phone holy poo poo! That was insanely difficult in comparison on the iPhone at the time. She switched.
I have no idea what people are talking about with Android having to be hosed with but I also never understood why people said the same thing about PCs vs. Macs so :shrug:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Geoj posted:

If they did that they wouldn't be able to license their IP rights to the lightning standard.

Which I'll maintain is also the reason they did away with the headphone jack on the most recent generation of iThings - it had nothing to do with making the device slimmer or doing away with "antiquated technology", it's all about getting licensing fees from companies that make accessories like credit card readers who now have no choice but to use Apple's proprietary connection.

There is that dude that added a headphone jack to an iPhone just to prove it had nothing to do with the slimness. You're right, it does have everything with Apple trying to squeeze even more money out of consumers. I think more, rather than licensing fees from other companies though it was to sell their headphones. Apple bought Beats, remember.

Why Google did in on the Pixel 2 I haven't a clue though, and is why I went and bought a refurbished Pixel 1, just to have the headphone jack since I use it all the time.

Also Facebook flagged my ad for my Land Cruiser. I get the Rugger, but the Land Cruiser? It isn't even close to having anything that even sounds like a weapon :haw:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
What are we going to call this era? Malaise is a good descriptor for the 70s, I always liked Neo-malaise for the 2000s jellybeans. What's the CUV glut going to be called?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

iwentdoodie posted:

Florida, and I'm betting a giant lolbertarian.

He's from California and is a big anti-e-waste thing, he just worked with someone in Florida that got him caught up.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I have been bothered all morning by my morning commute involving a motorcycle. The rider was in full gear, high vis jacket and sport bike. He was riding responsibly and I was aware of him (driving behind him). We are both in the far right lane approaching our exit. Our existing lane gives you the option for the exit, with an exit only lane that also begins to the right. I entered the "exit only" lane by signalling and pretty much maintaining my speed. Having traveled in the exit only lane for a good ~200 feet the sport biker begins to merge into the exit only lane that I am currently occupying. He did not use his signal OR check his blindspot. He had plenty of room in front of him and rather than matting the brakes I gave a little gusto on the skinny pedal while making sure he had enough room but I passed him.

I could tell he was bothered by it because bikers often feel victimized (generalization and opinion =/= fact I know) but he made a run up the back of me. He almost made a move to swing into the left lane but ultimate decided against it and just stayed behind me. As we went under the underpass I think he was going to try to lane split through but again it appears he decided against it.

I am bothered because none of it wouldn't have happened if he took the time to signal and check his blindspot before attempting the merge. Instead I am sure he passed it off as "Have a look, another rear end in a top hat in an M3". I take a lot of pride in being an involved and attentive driver. Hands on the wheel, checking mirrors and blindspots. Refusing to text/change music on my phone etc. Please validate me internet friends and strangers.

I hate to be that guy but people are dumb and he was mad that you recognized he made a mistake. Lots of people can't take responsibility and there is a good chance that in the moment he couldn't either.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Comic book movies are loving lost on me and I'm a huge idiot nerd.

Or so I thought!

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Rhyno posted:

R1 was the best film since RotJ.

Dang you just character assassinated yourself badly

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

iwentdoodie posted:

Why? Rogue 1 is the only half decent modern SW film.

Rhyno posted:

Yeah sorry Kaker, Rogue One is the only good SW film since the original trilogy. There's moments across the other films but you have to swim through a river of poo poo to get to them.

I made the character assassination joke because there are no characters to assassinate in Rouge One :haw:

I don't care about Star Wars (or comics for that matter) so it's no skin off my back, but Rouge One was a tiring wankfest aimed exclusively at people that wanted Star Wars to be some cool dark art war movie. Really it just came off as desperate and cheap, the computer animated not-as-good-as-deep-fakes cameo, the painfully groan-worthy Darth Vader part and just a total lack of arc.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Rhyno posted:

Infinity War takes a ton of risks, far more than any Star Wars film has.

Marvel is the new Star Wars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I feel asleep 30 minutes into R1 and never bothered to finish it. Coming from someone that will painfully finish most everything I hit play on too.

Bad.

Rouge One will be completely forgotten, probably after the what is most assuredly a dumpster fire of a movie Solo since everyone will jump on that one if it tries to play dark and gritty.

Are we still getting a sequel to Fury Road? I know we aren't getting anything else in Dredd which is a drat shame.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Counterpoint: Good

Is that the part in the Darth Vader Mad At Dad Lava Castle™? That poo poo was so embarrassing :negative:

• Locked thread