Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Seminal Flu posted:

Regardless, time to get some thoughts and prayers queued up.

https://twitter.com/SenFeinstein/status/981277492039307264

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Hot glue DOES have a real use.

I thought consumer hot glue only had two uses:

1) sticking macaroni to wooden boxes
2) creating interesting burns to your hands

spog
Aug 7, 2004

InitialDave posted:

Oh God, here we go again. :rolleyes:

You'll pry my hot glue-gun from my cold, dead, hot-glued hands

spog
Aug 7, 2004

InitialDave posted:

All I ask is for someone to invent an adhesive that works better on any actually useful substrate than it does on skin.

Remind me to tell you the story of how I managed to superglue a Victorian potty to my hand.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Are you hurt?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

InitialDave posted:

Huh. Tried to leave work, Zoe is stone dead. Won't even light the dash up.

I had to use the little emergency key hidden in the remote to get in it, but there's no ignition switch as such, and it's not recognising the keyless fob. About the only thing that's working is the release button for the charge port.

Currently sat waiting for the recovery people.

This is why I don't like cars to have people's names. Out of context, your conversations sound creepy:

'Zoe's dead'
'I can't turn Zoe on anymore'
'Zoe doesn't have a slot I can use'
'Let's go a party. Zoe can fit you in the rear'

etc, etc

spog
Aug 7, 2004

The Door Frame posted:

I almost want to go back onto the feedback loop meds that put me into a state of hypomania for years. I worked 12 hour days in 3 different jobs and lifted hardcore everyday, I was in school and I had 2 real jobs. Sure, I don't have to worry about going into full blown mania or a deep depression anymore, but this even mood isn't going nearly as well as I thought it would

Two-stroke engines are much more fun than four-stroke, but in the long term, you're better off with the calmer one.

The Door Frame posted:

And my current meds make me extremely photosensitive. Going from inside into direct sunlight causes me to recoil from pain in my eyeballs

Yeah, but you can be very cool with shades:

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Someone left the loving Death Star laying on the US 60 so it inevitably sky rocketed nowhere else other than my loving windshield. 99.9% sure I have glass coverage on a new car lets call my provider to double check. NOPE. Yeah, my bad for not making sure months ago but its one of those things thats an easy upsell for customers upgrading cars within the same policy. Silver lining is that its not insane to replace, 300 bucks out the door but I'm still crazy irritated by the whole thing as that was money that didn't need to be spent.

:argh:

That happened to somebody I knew and they changed their policy for one with glass coverage and lived with the chip for 6 weeks to avoid suspicion.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Hah I was just cased for burglary. Fuckers.

<frantic knocking>

"Do you know a...uh... "John"? Does he live here?"

No

"Are you sure?" <leans forward to try to take a look inside my place>

THERE IS NO JOHN HERE! <they back away a bit>

<close door>

I do have cameras and an online backup account. Four cameras completely cover the apartment and porch.

This seems to have been missed in egg - chat, but are you okay?

Are you sleeping with a bread knife under your pillow?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

No, I meant quite the opposite.

It's a scary situation and you handled it well and in a suitably macho way. Kudos to you for not being a pushover at the time.

But I know that poo poo like this can hit you later and even the strongest of us can get unnerved.

It's like how you can have a near miss on the roads and just brush it off at the time, but you only realise just how close you came to death when you are in bed that night.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

slidebite posted:

Not same day, but Costco man.

Mrs. Slidebite just got a new pair of glasses plus a pair of Ray-Bans with prescription lenses, all in for under $400. I think it was $380ish, all in.

I just bought a litre of engine coolant for £3.25 from an online store
That includes courier delivery to my house

Beats me how they can make any profit on these type of sales.

E: for comparison, buying the same stuff in a cheap bricks n mortar shop would be £5

spog fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Apr 15, 2018

spog
Aug 7, 2004

iwentdoodie posted:

Wrong. That movie is amazing once they go to war. It makes it hit home so much more.

It's not a feel-good movie.

But it is a very good movie.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It was a movie that was adored by the same people in the military that I loathed. Protein-powder-chugging brickheads that idolized the hazing scenes and made fun of Pyle for"being a pussy," so I went out of my way to never watch it.

They almost certainly didn't understand it and enjoyed it at the most superficial level.

You will enjoy watching it, but I guarantee you won't cheer.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Tomarse posted:

I need to get some 3metre long lengths of worktop home from the shop about 6 miles away and a fiat panda is currently my only road legal vehicle. Am I wrong to be considering removing the passenger seat in order to attempt this? (If I pay them to deliver it takes 2-3 weeks)

Duct tape it vertically to the rear and pretend it's a dodgem car.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Tomarse posted:

poo poo, I didn’t know b and q rented transits and by the hour! I’d priced one for the day from elsewhere and it wasn’t worth it but I can get one for 2 hours from my local b and q for £20 which sounds much easier!

Delivery would also be even easier but there is roughly a 3.5 week wait time to get a delivery slot and I want to fit it before then as I have some free time.

Don't you own a landrover that is quite long?

256.54 cm to be exact. It's even in the name!

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Tomarse posted:

I actually own exactly 4.8 m of landrovers, but none of it is road legal until May the 20th when it all becomes MOT and tax exempt! :)

(Yes, this was kinda bad planning on my behalf)

FYI you can do a short term van hire from the big car hire companies for a very reasonable price - I forget who I got a quote from (Europhire?) but they did a good deal for a 4hour hire in the afternoon. I gave them a call and they were surprisingly helpful

https://www.europcar.co.uk/services/hourly-hire

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Tomarse posted:

I actually own exactly 4.8 m of landrovers, but none of it is road legal until May the 20th when it all becomes MOT and tax exempt! :)

That's the lie, isn't it?

"Honey, I need this vehicle: I'll be doing all that important house stuff and need it to be able to buy material. It's much more cost effective this way - I'm saving us money "

*rents van to move the supplies*

-see also: 4x4, trucks, camping vans and humvees.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Darchangel posted:

Ah, right. Forgot he'd said it was an L03 earlier. Plus I wanted to post V8 hand signs.

Real question, because I know you guys know everything, or at least someone knows something:
How do I edit my thread's title, or is that just something only mods can do? I'm not seeing anything obvious, and the internet is being surprisingly unhelpful in SA-related things.

Mods only.

Else it would be abused to heck and back.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Fermented Tinal posted:

Where I work the plant manager meets you outside the building and hands you a letter informing you you are no longer employed. They won't let you in the building to empty your locker, instead of that HR cuts the lock off, dumps your poo poo in a box, and mails it to you.

Anyone have a spare abus lock that'll work with a locker? I imagine this is the scenario I'm going to face when I put in my notice (if any of these wonderful places I've applied to will get back to me), and I think it would be hilarious to offer one last "gently caress you" by using a real bitch of a lock and leaving my locker empty.

Fill your locker with ping pong balls.

E: or a dead hooker.

E2: 3 dead hookers, numbered 1,2,4

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Seminal Flu posted:

Why not both?

Fill a dead hooker with ping pong balls?

I see you're familiar with Bangkok.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Time to take my car in for it's annual roadworthiness check (MOT) - better make sure I am wearing my 'I know things about cars, don't try and screw me' clothes.

Perhaps I'll smear a little axle grease on my cheek to make sure the image is just right.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

dee eight posted:

A dab of brake fluid behind the ear and fingernails carefully done with that little black line under the edge.

That's a good idea: I've just had French tips done, so I'll look stylish and like a Real Man.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

InitialDave posted:

You need to smell like a real man, too. Creosote mixed with used engine oil is a good one there.

So....not this stuff? I mean, cars run on diesel, don't they?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Britgoons:

I am sure you are all familiar with EuroCarParts https://www.eurocarparts.com/ and their bizarre pricing strategy of high prices on the website with discount codes on the same website.

Well, I found this oddly-similar site https://www.carparts4less.co.uk/ with a smaller range of the same products at cheaper prices, even with the ECP discount codes applied.

I ordered from both and they are the same company: same products, same DHL shipping, same packaging, everything

spog
Aug 7, 2004

epic bird guy posted:

High price/Heavy promos is a strategy that actually works pretty well for a while but once people catch on or your margins become too high for the promos to work it kind of falls apart. A lot of people love to feel like they're getting a deal even if they really aren't.

It seems like that company wants to have their cake and eat it too or something by doing both :shrug:

That's my thought, too.

Seems odd, because anyone who is willing to order stuff online is usually savvy enough to check the prices on the usual places before making a decision and brake pads aren't an impulse buy, so you have time to search

e.g.

cakesmith handyman posted:

I need to do wife's brakes so I'll check this out, thanks.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Tomarse posted:

However, I have also been to pick up my wheels and I have decided that black was a good idea :coal:

I'm guessing they aren't for one of your landies - what vehicle are they for?

T'is a nice colour.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Rhyno posted:

My wife arranged to buy half of a cow today.

Like a timeshare?

Keep it in your garden Monday to Wednesday and alternative Sundays?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

In the last 24 hours I've gotten emails from five companies updating their ToS.

Something happen?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-43657546

GDPR deadline next month?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Tomarse posted:

I was utterly knackered when I went to bed last night, and I stayed up late trying to get my 3D printer to set off an overnight print as octoprint was being a dick.

I also had a dream where 14" Dave and InitialDave moved into my house and helped me rebuild an engine in my kitchen before helping to improve my house

I didn't drink anything last night. Help.

We all have odd sex dreams.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Never mind that bollocks about lamentations of the women of your enemies; the best sound is the 'crack' of a bolt that you thought you weren't going to get off.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

I used a washing-up bowl to catch the oil from an oil change. I spent yesterday afternoon and evening pondering on how I could clean it:

Washing outside by a drain will contaminate groundwater
Washing on hard ground will kill plants
Washing in house will block drains
Wiping with newspaper will result in dripping papers
Wiping with kitchen towel will result in large pile of oily waste
Sealing in a plastic bag will inevitably leak before I use it again.

I woke up this morning with an eureka moment: 'throw it away you god-drat moron.'

spog
Aug 7, 2004

InitialDave posted:

I leave mine tipped up on one corner into a funnel in my waste oil container. Gets almost all of it out of its own accord.

Tomarse posted:

I'm not sure why you would want to clean it that well? Prop it to drain it like InitialDave says and then just leave it for the next use.

I am embarrassingly unshedded and ungaraged, so anything I use keep has to stay indoors. If it's not dry, I will leak and make a mess.

I spend far too long, leaning over the bath and decanting a 5 litre bottle of windscreen fluid into empty coke bottles. It had sprung a leak, but fortunately the shipping bag was sealed and caught most of it.
My hallway does smell of Tutti-Fruitti - which isn't too bad

(Meant to mention you to UK goods, Maplins seem to have a good clearance price on AA batteries)
https://www.maplin.co.uk/search/?text=battery#Brand:Maplin:Category:AA%20Batteries:&sort=price-desc&page=0&productsPerPage=showAll
E: Can;t see gently caress all else there that isn;t more expensive than Amazon, even at clearance prices.

spog fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Apr 23, 2018

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Rhyno posted:

May I ask what your housing situation is? Apartment? House without garage or shed?

Apartment with a parking space

Tomarse posted:

I pity the man without a shed or garage to call his own (or even a carport)

Every job starts we me having to schlep all my tools all the way down to the car.
Then back up again afterwards. That includes a hydraulic jack and axles stands

You can see why I get rightly hacked off when I discovered that the one socket/extension bar/adaptor is not in the kit I have and I have to go back and get it.

Even though I take far too many tools with me, I'm always caught out by an odd-sized bolt, screw or the the fact that my 'professional' socket set was clearly not designed by someone who uses these things everyday. (Yesterday, I learnt that you can't use the 16mm socket on the biggest ratchet, just the medium-sized one. I'd willingly skip the lovely screwdriver bits if it meant they gave me the right adaptors instead.)

spog
Aug 7, 2004

everdave posted:

believe it or not the manager said they start "checking" the rooms at 9 since it is an airport location, man i was pissed but the manager made it right. he said put the do not disturb sign up and it wouldn't happen, but my thing is I don't like doing that. to me that just advertises that someone is in the room in case something bad was going down.

Realistically, the chances of your being abducted by a band of international terrorists is much less than the maid walking in while you are cranking one out to pay-per-view.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Tomarse posted:

I pity the man without a shed or garage to call his own (or even a carport)

Every time I wash my car, the next day, a bird will take a monumental poo poo on it.

Every. Single. Time.

Gave it a good clean as a treat for the sunny weather and it appears that a diarrhetic ostrich has flown over it.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFQu2HgDTwQ

spog
Aug 7, 2004

"Metal Geir Skogul" posted:

Today was orientation for nursing school.

I am hosed, but I've made my choice and now I've got to live with it. I can do this.

Have you realised how much poop and how many old men's willies you will have to deal with?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

bolind posted:

Hello spog

I notice you don't have platinum. If you would like an upgrade, give me an email to send to and I'll sort you out (bought a few to help out Lowtax' broken neck.)

That's very generous of you

I did an autoban to throw a few buck his way, but forget that doing that would lose all your bells and whistles.

(Then I read his thread and realised that my entire contribution would cover the cost of a single tylenol at hospital. Maybe)

E: You are very nice, thank you.

spog fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Apr 25, 2018

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Do you have a patio or balcony?

I am literally typing this with my feet resting on a 2 tonne trolley jack because I can't be arsed to pull all the stuff out of my store cupboard to put it away.

My balcony is only suitable for midnight chats with my Montague boyfriend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Well I'm out of ideas!

At my first apartment I had a second floor with a balcony so I bought a outside storage bin and put everything in there.
I could get an outside storage bin and leave it in the communal bike shed.
Problem is, to get one strong enough to withstand the local junkies would cost more than the value of my tools.

Fermented Tinal posted:

Buy a house, solve one problem and discover hundreds of new ones!

Not going to lie: I nearly bought a house instead of this place purely because of the large garage space.
I must admit to going green with jealousy at the ranches some of you Americans own.

mekilljoydammit posted:

I'm just bringing this up but, switching from handmedown iPhones to Android stuff about 5 years ago... what the hell are people talking about with the "omg Apple stuff just works vs Android" thing? I seriously don't get the difference in ease of usability, save that all of the iPhones got to where they worked fine and then one update would make them work like poo poo.

I'd suggest it is because when Android first came out, a lot of the apps were a bit janky, poorly written or needed quite a bit of tech knowledge to configure.
I don't think that is true any more.

I have found that Android is very amenable to doing a wipe and restore from backup and being up an running with almost no effort.

• Locked thread