Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
No one in town had a Civic battery, and I need to get to work tomorrow.

Amp cable has now become a battery cable, until I can get one that fits, and I have a mad tite rear mount battery for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

bolind posted:

No takers yet, so repeating my offer from upthread:

Also jus discovered that the oven in our new condo will go too 300C and beyond... hellooooo pizza! :getin:

I mean, I don't know if I'm a shitposter or not so I just assumed I was :v: if not I'd do one.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

bolind posted:

E-mail me and I'll sort you out.

I'm on mobile so I can't see your profile, sadly. Choppeds10 at the Google's for me.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
That poo poo makes me so happy I ended up where I did. I'm underpaid a bit, but it's a great job with a great company, and people work there for loving years. We have multiple people at 20+ years.

Hope poo poo gets better, dude.

In other news, civic started fine last night after the new battery. Now today it just cranks. Has fuel, has air, and now I'm trying to rig up a way to test spark since I can't get anyone to loving help crank the car.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Can't remember my password to login on regular site.

Recaptcha place that lowtax uses changed their links in 3/31 and S.A. still hasn't updated.

Oh, these dead gay forums.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Adiabatic posted:

Still the best car forum in existence :colbert:

That's a bar an ant could jump, to be fair.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

builds character posted:

Is this in Dallas or in Austin?

Gonna say Dallas since he hasn't moved yet.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Seminal Flu posted:

Regardless, time to get some thoughts and prayers queued up.

Got em locked and loaded.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Can't recommend one really, cause I've never had a propane that didn't fall apart, but 3 burner to me is a small rear end grill. 5 is when I say midsized.

I'm also fat.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Beverly Cleavage posted:

The one we use(d until) now is a 4 burner, and usually have only used half at a time... with kids growing up, I could maybe make a case for another of the same size, but there's also no harm in going smaller and cooking in waves if needed. Maybe hoping I can clean a corner of the garage and store it there to help avoid some of the problems... Though that begets the problems of storing propane in an enclosed space....

I thought I was pretty good about cleaning it, doing almost exactly what you describe. I can only imagine moisture got trapped in there with some of the wacky weather over the last few years...

I kept our grill in Guam alive for 3 years (avg life was 18 months due to the salt air and humidity) by RELIGIOUSLY wiping the burner covers off woth a scraper while hot, then when cool giving them a very, very (very) light coat of oil. The drain pain got removed, washed, dried, and either sprayed with Pam or another light coat of oil. As always, clean your grates when hot and also oil them to save them as well.

It's a loving process, and a massive pain in the dick, but it kept that grill alive.

To contrast, in Cali I oiled the grates but said gently caress everything else and that thing looked brand goddamn new after 3 years.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
New coil in civic = beating it like a red headed stepchild. 500 dollar cars are best cars.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
That loving blows, man. Dash cam catch it at least?

Drove the civic to work today, felt like a victory. Also goddamn terrifying and I'm pretty sure I lost power steering. Oh the joy of a beater. It doesn't even bother me, I'll fix the poo poo, it's hearing about it from the wife.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

IOwnCalculus posted:

C6 Z51 and C5 Z06 are pretty much the same in terms of performance. If you have any desire to do major engine modifications, the C6 is also better in that the 6.0L blocks have a better cylinder head selection than the 5.7L.

Only if it's an 08+. C5 Z06 against the LS2 cars is a driver's race with a hard nod to the C5 in most cases.

Plus the C6 looks like dogshit. The only ones worth giving in to those looks are a Z06 or a ZR1.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

MomJeans420 posted:

Maybe I'm crazy, I think the C6s look much better than the C5s, or maybe it's just the C5s look old now. Another fun Corvette game - try to find a black one that doesn't have the lights blacked out, and that doesn't have lovely wheels. This one isn't bad, I'm sure I could remove the light tint and I don't mind the C7 wheels, but lowered sounds like a pain in the rear end, and I'm not wild about putting body parts from higher trim models on lower trim cars (the ZR1 parts).

Uhhh that car is goddamn beautiful for a C6, and is basically perfect visually for that gen. The wide body is how they should have come stock, honestly.

The only issue with that car is that he doesn't mention any head work, so go ahead and tack 2-3k onto that price immediately.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
So, I have a snapped stud on one wheel but need tires. I have the stud, and am going to replace it later tonight if I can get the fucker out without pulling the hub.

Think pepboys or a place like that will give me poo poo about it?

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Larrymer posted:

Like not take your money buying tires because you have a wheel stud snapped? No, they'll still take it. :v: And then try and sell you a stud replacement for $200.

If you're that worried about it, take the wheels in separately in another car. (because they'll snap another stud for you, anyway...)

More like "am I gonna go ahead and buy online and set an appt, then have them not want to install because of it".

And I would, except my wife and I are working basically opposite schedules and it'd take me an extra 3+ hours to go get her car, pull wheels, drive there, then drive back. Stupid work.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Rhyno posted:

I'm guilty of box hoarding. I used to hang on to them in case something went wrong and I'd need to make a return. But my wife tosses a box as soon as she opens something so I'm trying to get on that level.

Edit: My mother in law just showed up to drop something off and she's heading out to the Mazda dealer to trade her '16 Miata in on an '17 RF. I'm slightly jealous.

Mazda dealer here has 4k+ on the hood of every RF on the lot. It makes me angry daily.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
I'm more amazed that they gave you a truck that is the exact same shade of suburban apathy.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Just found this in my tool box :v:

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

This comment made me realize that all of the brake hardware on all the vehicles in my care is metric. Huh.

Also, :mad:.

SAE is dead.

Or loving should be.

Like I use my SAE poo poo so infrequently that I've never even halfway misplaced any of it. I know exactly where it is. Metric, on the other hand, I want like 8 copies of each just in loving case.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Raluek posted:

Same, but the opposite. Aren't you a muscle car guy? I use metric somewhat frequently, but only because 14mm is basically 9/16 and 16mm is basically 5/8 and so forth. The occasional actual-metric fastener usually takes me like 3 guesses of socket size before I realize "oh, it's metric :saddowns:" only because I just don't run into them that often. I've never misplaced a 10mm anything, but I've lost at least three 9/16" ratcheting wrenches.

Like, who even uses metric fasteners? Oddball things always throw me for a loop until I realize they're not standard.

When I was younger, yeah. And the modern ones that I had most recently are a hosed up mix of both.

But yeah, standard for me is the oddball now. The only reason I even have so much again is from the dakota, because even though it was a 94 it had the odd loving mix of both.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Holy poo poo. I just got soft offered a promotion (pending HR agreement) that comes with a massive pay bump.

I'm 3 days shy of 90 days here.

Holy poo poo.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Thanks guys. It's just loving crazy to me.

That whole thing where people just don't work that hard is so goddamn true. Because I don't feel like I overachieve, and I even posted here before about the imposter feeling when I first started.

But goddamn.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Applebees Appetizer posted:

My point was as you get older you have to pay more attention to what your body is telling you, people ignore poo poo and that's how they end up getting seriously hurt lifting pushing the issue.

Also exercise and heavy lifting are two different things, obviously everyone should exercise.

You know as well as I do that you're talking to a wall :v:

I have a ruptured disc with a slipped one above it, so deads and weighted squats are now a thing that other people do. Sams woth overhead press. I can't lift anything heavy above my shoulder without it forcing the disc into a nerve, and I can't walk for weeks. So I just do a ton of core exercises, kettle bells, and poo poo like that.

I can't even do farmers carry :(

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Seminal Flu posted:

That's the problem, Rhyno doesn't want to admit that he's old now.

I mran, he did have aids so he really shouldn't have gotten old.

(Sorry rhyno)

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

IOwnCalculus posted:

I've got glass coverage and of course all I ever get are tiny chips and stars that look the same when 'fixed'. The CR-V is about due for a new windshield.

A guy I used to work with had the same complaint, so when he got another one he tried to "gently expand" the area so it would qualify for a replacement.

Shattered the entire windshield. It got replaced, but two years later he was still bitching about glass rattling in his dash.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

OZYMANDICKASS posted:

Man these boots are gonna own in like 6 months

What size do you wear?

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

They haven't asked for the title.

Texas doesn't have electronic title? Because if so, doesn't matter if you have the hard copy.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Funny when poo poo like that happens.

My last command in Cali I met a dude who I eventually found out was from the next town over, which is a feat in small town northeast Texas. Then find out his older brother graduated with one of my best friends, we know a ton of the same people, and had been at a lot of the same parties and poo poo as teens.

Then as we were planning a roadtrip home for the holidays, we got another new guy who wanted to go because he lived in a town like 20m away from us.

Edit: since you're an old and remember Honda's, normal for it to take an abnormally long time to start if you gently caress up and let go before it catches? I did it yesterday and it was a solid 5 or 6 tries before it finally decided to start again. Also, if I take a picture of something under the hood, chances you'd know It? It's like a black sensor housing that at one point was screwed into the firewall in front if the driver. Now it's a shattered mess held together with electrical tape, just kind of laying on the strut tower. I can't even buy a new one cause I have no idea what it is.

iwentdoodie fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Apr 9, 2018

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
So Porsche got out of WEC, so now they're just going around destroying lap records in a totally uncorked 919.

Set a new lap at Spa of 1:41.770, previous was 1:42.553 set by Hamilton in F1 qualifying last year. loving ridiculous.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Googled this because I wanted to read the story

Holy gently caress

Like how the hell is that possible, I mean I know they upgraded everything but 12 seconds? That's crazy.

That's just how nerfed they are for competition. Granted, that's also without mirrors, and slightly modified body work for even less downforce

The LMP1H cars are loving insane.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Larrymer posted:

Anybody have podcast recommendations? I think somebody did an effort post (MGS maybe?) on this sometime back. I've just started listening to them so I haven't listened to much. So far I like the ESPN 30 for 30s, and Serial. I couldn't get into Lore despite being a nerd. Same for a video game podcast I tried.

Legion of Skanks
Bertcast
JRE

Edit: dude at work just offered me a header for the civic for 25 bucks. God dammit.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Liquid Communism posted:

I'm a big fan of WTNV for just how surreal it is.

The first few seasons, yeah. Then it got wayyyy too far up it's own rear end.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I stopped around episode 55-60 because life got in the way for a bit. It goes downhill?

Like was said, up to about 90 they're listenable. After that they just...keep rehashing ideas and trying to be weird for the sake of it, versus the old episodes just trying to be fun and interesting.

Basically once they start doing live poo poo, and the book is being talked about, it all goes to poo poo.

And that's not even just a nerd (my) opinion. Even my wife, who would only half listen normally, asked why they started to suck.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I'm quite familiar with the rando selling mystery Mexican food from a cooler. You haven't lived until until you've reheated an enchilada you bought at 6 PM from some guy in a Circle K parking lot.

We had tamale lady in my neighborhood. Shed drive by around 4 every weekend in a beat to poo poo older Chrysler, selling tamales. 2 each or 12 for 10.

My wife would get so pissed, cause id be in the garage, buy a dozen, and bring her like 3 if I didn't finish them all.

Edit: also, as a dude from TX who lived in CA, Cali kills it on the tacos and burritos. But texmex enchiladas are better, and Chicos has the best goddamn rolled/fried tacos.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Waitafuckingminute

Do we have the same home town?

Nah, I've just made enough trips and stops that I know it to be true. I go out of my way every time to stop there. I'm from literally the other corner of the state though.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

I'd be down for all those fucks to fly that one instead.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
It still feels so weird to enjoy coming to work.

Oh god I've become brainwashed.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Darchangel posted:

OK, you're going to need two chains, a tree, and another car...

One chain, a tree, and some gumption.

Or a 4x4 pickup, a chain, and some blankets laying on said chain. I watched that get done at the dirt track, pulled a 3" bend out of a frame. Then the chain snapped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

MomJeans420 posted:

Without getting into politics, does anyone know if the previous CAFE mileage standard of 54.5mpg by 2025 was considered attainable by auto manufacturers? I know it's not a real world 54.5mpg avg, but I've heard conflicting reports of one the hand the manufacturers were beating the increases needed every year, while on the other people have said the incremental increases weren't going to be sustainable.

It hits a point where you can't meet the goal eventually. But 54.5 average is more than doable, that's not the issue.

Consumers are the issue. Because you can make those increases, and hit the numbers, but not in the vehicles people buy. There's no profit in small, efficient cars for GM, Ford, etc.

And with gas still being relatively cheap, it puts even less pressure on those people to buy an efficient vehicle, when they can spend the same money and get an F150.

Edit: Rhyno, how'd you bomb It? Legit asking, cause interview poo poo can be fixed pretty loving easily. And I may not be good at a lot of poo poo, but interviews are my loving ace in the hole.

• Locked thread