Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Hah april fools on me, I thought I'd finally find out what this tax cut BS was all about.

Now I'm pretty sure my company didn't do my withholding like I asked because I owe loving $2500 federal which usually means another $1000 to the state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

dee eight posted:

lol

Last job I scored HR said when can you start and I said I can be there in about 20 minutes. They said, um no, Monday is fine.

I did that when I moved to Denver. Submitted resume on Friday, got a call on Monday, interviewed on Tuesday and they offered me the job at the end of the interview. I offered to start right then. They said nah the day's over, start tomorrow.

It was one of those obvious good fits that worked out well, the job lasted 7 years. If my boss hadn't died I'd probably still be working for him today.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Decided to do something to make me feel better about my V70R, so I had my exhaust friend tuck the exhaust (it was kind of hanging low), fix a leak, and make a new custom tip where he turned the tips blue with a torch to match my paint.

Blew the turbo on the way home. *sigh*. Sounded like the thrust bearing failed, I floored it and when I let off the gas it popped and smoke started pouring out of the exhaust, then no boost. Common problem on the K24 in this setup.

I knew something was wrong with it so at least now I'm forced to deal with it and can make everything right.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

dee eight posted:

I just took a semi drunken stroll to the corner store and back and passed a thing on the way.

A 1966 Chrysler 300. In decent condition, no dings or dents, minimal rust. For sale.

I thought to myself, "This would be the perfect car for me to buy to troll the gently caress out of my wife. I want this car."

then I thought to myself, "You really don't want this car. What the hell are you thinking?" and I was right on both counts.

I have awesome memories of that car, my grandma bought one new and had it for 30 years. I had a chance to take it for $1500 back in the 90's but my ex wife said no, and the truth is I had nowhere to put it. But it still makes me sad that I let a one owner family classic go to a stranger. You're not in the Portland area are you?

TV chat: I agree curved screens are stupid for a living room, but I got a pair of 27" curved monitors at work and I loving love them. When you're the only viewer and sitting in one spot, the way they wrap around is really cool.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

LloydDobler posted:

Decided to do something to make me feel better about my V70R, so I had my exhaust friend tuck the exhaust (it was kind of hanging low), fix a leak, and make a new custom tip where he turned the tips blue with a torch to match my paint.

Blew the turbo on the way home. *sigh*. Sounded like the thrust bearing failed, I floored it and when I let off the gas it popped and smoke started pouring out of the exhaust, then no boost. Common problem on the K24 in this setup.

I knew something was wrong with it so at least now I'm forced to deal with it and can make everything right.

Mmm carnage.

For reference it should be straight in the hole, like this:

I'll post more when I actually get it out of the car. For now I just got the downpipe off.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Seminal Flu posted:

gently caress the steaming pile of cancer that is YouTube targeted to kids.

I've got a traumatized 8 year old, because my dumbfuck brother-in-law and his wife don't pay any attention to what their kids watch.

We were at a family gathering on Saturday and my 8 year old girl ran off to play with their 10 year old girl. Just like they always do. Except, after that, she's been inconsolable with her crying about this scary video the 10 year old showed her.

What did she describe? The exact scene of 4:30-ish here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tjd8no-9Eo

Holy gently caress. That whole douche bag's channel is a steaming pile of cancer. And that video should NEVER be seen by anyone, much less a 10 year old.

I've got my kids on a pretty solid supervisory system. They know I watch what they watch and I search their history. They have NEVER strayed... it's just not in them right now. But now I'm uber-pissed off about this, because I don't even know how to deal with an absolutely innocent 8 year old having seen that poo poo, explaining it to her that it's meant to scare adults, and it's only makeup and scary camera shots, and then have her say "I know that in my brain, but my eyes keep seeing it" as she sobs.

gently caress people.

Are you saying that was available on the kids filtered version of youtube? Or is it not caught by the regular 18-up filter? I monitored use with my daughter very heavily too so I never used any of their filtering. I also started showing her scarier PG movies at around that age but nothing like that clip.

I had a similar problem when my daughter saw the walking dead for the first time, around age 10. She'd seen lots of action movies and blood/gore never bothered her even when I showed it to her too young. She figured out the "it's not real" detachment pretty early on. But there was something different about the walking dead that just hosed her up, she had nightmares for a few weeks straight. I felt terrible, I was sure she could handle it but was wrong. Ironically she still loved the show and refused to stop watching it, and it became a joke between us soon after. We'd have exchanges like this: "Are you sure you want to watch this?" "Yes Yes Yes". "You're not going to have nightmares?" "Oh I'm definitely going to have nightmares."

I went through the same thing when I saw the head exploding scene in Scanners back in the early 80's. Of course it was at a friend's house, it seemed all my friends had cable TV and no supervision when I was in junior high. I was either 11 or 12 and it took me about a month to stop having serious nightmares about that one.

Which I guess is the only consolation, you could just reassure her that the more time that goes by, it will bother her less, until one day she tells stories about how scared she was when she saw it. The other thing I do with my daughter when she gets worked up is a go-to thing to think about that makes her feel really good. I usually talk about family vacations to the beach and it takes her right to a happy place. But yeah, sorry you're going through that, probably the worst feeling a parent can have is watching your kid suffer in any way.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Watching poo poo like Robocop at 8 was a trip, the execution scene at the start where Murphy's hand gets blown off has stuck with me foreverrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr (though it didn't scar me, I'm just amazed to this day it was allowed in a movie, poo poo was hyper violent).

Agreed 100%. It didn't give me nightmares but I had this sick feeling in my stomach for a few days after watching that. I think that was the first movie since Clockwork Orange where the criminals were reveling in their evil and enjoying taunting their victims as they tortured them in that over the top way, and it bothered the poo poo out of me. "Well give the man a hand!"

Seminal Flu posted:

Edit: Followup -- just got a text from my BiL. His 10 year old came to him crying this morning and copped to everything. So now he believes her and he apologized for the situation. That makes it okay with me, but it's still not cool that he couldn't see through his 10 year old's bullshit, in spite of overwhelming evidence. :shrug:

Oh wow, you didn't mention that they were denying it. That'd piss me off too. At least if everyone's on the same level you can all talk about what is ok and what isn't, and make sure it doesn't happen again.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Man, when it rains it pours.

Taxes due, didn't withhold enough - $2500 federal, haven't done state yet.
Turbo blew in my V70R, just bought a used one for $375
Yesterday I noticed the front tires on my daughter's car are showing belts. I might be able to keep running the rears as they look fairly new but it's AWD so I may have to replace all 4. $300 minimum.
Woke up to a dead furnace this morning. It's 24 years old so fixing it would be pointless. I almost replaced it last year but I was and still am digging out of my unemployment hole from 2016. $3000 minimum.
On top of that a buddy talked me in to a $1600 vacation before any of this happened and I haven't paid him back for it yet. It's next month.

Welp, at least I have good credit. I guess I'll start by buying a couple space heaters so my kid and I don't freeze to death tonight. Also my gas fireplace still works.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Borrowed some space heaters from friends, and they work well enough in my tiny townhouse that I can just use them for the next few weeks. I forgot that winter's basically over and this is the time of year that I shut my furnace off anyway. So the pressure is off there, I can replace it in August or something.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Larrymer posted:

Hopefully you don't get turbofucked on your electric bill instead, those things use a ton of power. Maybe cancel the vacation and fix your furnace? Build up an emergency fund so you aren't put in such a situation next time?

Well that's what I'm realizing is that this is the time of year when my bill is the lowest because I don't run either the heat or the AC. Like last night I only ran one space heater in my room from 2AM to 6AM and the house was still 66 degrees in the morning. So I should be good.

I was just complaining about all these bills hitting me within a week. I'm better now. And I've already fixed my W4 so they take more loving withholding out and I don't run in to the tax problem next year.

Seminal Flu posted:

Have you taken a look at what specifically broke? Any chance of repairing in the off-season?

Maybe, but the thing is 24 years old and last time I looked at it the burner was all rusty and there was crud in the exhaust fan. The inspector told me when I bought this place in 06 that he didn't think the furnace had much life left in it, and I pulled 12 years out. So I'm not too bitter about replacing it. I already had one quote for $2400 to put a new one in but it was pretty low efficiency. I figure I can spend $3k and get something nice. I've known this was coming for a long time, and I need to replace it anyway because I want the place to be perfect if I decide to sell in the next few years, which is likely.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Just redid my taxes with itemizing. Dodged a bullet on that one. Last year I was using my unemployed income so my state income taxes were really low and itemizing was less than the standard deduction (my mortgage is really good so the interest is low). Turns out itemizing is still the way to go when I'm employed all year. Almost fooled myself into overpaying $750. So that helps.

Situation still annoying but significantly better.

angryrobots posted:

If you're definitely not gonna use the furnace, turn off it's gas supply. No sense in testing what may be a 24yo control valve if the unit isn't in use.

Good call, thanks. Or is the irony that by turning the valve for the first time in 24 years that I asplode my house?

Geoj posted:

Job chat: just verbally accepted a systems admin position with a startup metal fabrication company.

Its going to mean an immediate 20% raise ($42,500 to $52,000/annually), 50% decrease in daily commute and most importantly, a substantial bump in title. This will be the first meaningful raise to my base pay that I've had since 2010.

Going to be working with another admin from the parent company in Detroit for the first six months, then after that I'll be running all things IT with guidance/direction from the home office. I'm still in the "pinch me, I'm dreaming" phase - currently working tech support for a small industrial printer company that could best be described as a struggling business in a dying industry. I've read the writing on the wall here and assuming the place doesn't go under in the next year or two it'll just be more of the same "raises aren't in the budget this year" bullshit I've been putting up with since 2010.

Good for you! That $800 a month plus gas can really make a difference in savings and lifestyle. Never mind how much less time you spend in the car. Think about it, that's one beater Honda civic per month! Or one questionable motorcycle! Or 8 mediocre hookers!

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

nm posted:

So I was just on a southwest airlines flight.
The dude next to me refused to put his tray table down before take off and we had to return to the gate to kick him off. Fun times.
This was after a 30min airport shutdown for lightning (at smf, which is really uncommon).

LOL I marvel at this. Like don't you have somewhere to go? As if the tray table is the important part of the flight? Not the, I don't know, flying someplace?

It's like the assholes that road rage all over you because they're in a huge hurry, but then when you flip them the bird they have time to pull over and fight.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Whenever I think I have it bad, I just have to remind myself that I've never had to wash the taste of gas out of my mouth.

Let us know if bourbon works though.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

iwentdoodie posted:

Also, I gotta ask this. Does there exist a person in every office that everyone loving loathes (except their immediate superior) and doesn't get the loving hint to change how they act?

Ours is the guy who used to be married to the boss's sister. But he's not anymore. But he still has 100% job security for some reason. He's stubborn and super uptight and the only right way to do anything is his way. He's the kind of guy that people want to fist fight on their first day here. Then if you cross him he goes full passive-aggressive mode and throws sideways insults that he can pretend weren't about you if you call him out on it.

We all are used to it so we just humor him now but he's definitely a roadblock on the way to a non-dysfunctional team.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

In car news, I was actually doing work on a car last night and I did something I haven't done in a very very long time: I over-tightened a bolt and snapped the head off. I'm really embarrassed. Luckily it's on a bolt-on part and not in the engine block. Good lesson right before I do the water pump which is held on with the same size bolts in a very difficult location. Do not over-tighten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

My favorite piece of Tank Girl trivia is how Ice-T is 100% unapologetic about it. Conan was teasing him a little and he just jabs right back with "one million dollars."

The whole interview is good but here's that part:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrw3qk8boVQ&t=276s

• Locked thread