Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
People like having complex things explained without have to go and find poo poo that might be hard to find so that isn’t that hard to understand or a big deal really.

Grand design isn’t really that, it’s more a year one condense style story they release every couple years for easy money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I had to find a MCU explained video for my mom because she likes going to the superheroes movies, she just doesn't remember everything that happened in 18 movies over ten years because she's not a horrible nerd like her offspring. There are valid reasons for those videos to exist, they're just... not for us.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

CapnAndy posted:

I had to find a MCU explained video for my mom because she likes going to the superheroes movies, she just doesn't remember everything that happened in 18 movies over ten years because she's not a horrible nerd like her offspring. There are valid reasons for those videos to exist, they're just... not for us.

Yeah they are extremely useful for any convoluted stories, especially X-men.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

I think it's because Ed Piskor's art is extremely good but that's just me. It could be one of those weird reasons tho IDK

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Apr 27, 2018

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Yeah, I like Piskor's art and the hip hop books are decent, plus he's a local, and I was actually going to ask the thread what the deal with Grand Design was. Seems like it has mixed reviews here?

Seeing the list of nominations painfully reminds me of how much less time I have to read comics and comic related books since having an adult job and a wife and a 1 year old! Alas the days of spending an entire day at the library reading comics are past.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I know more sales are done physically than digitally, but, with Amazon doing super-heavy sales on comics on same-day releases and considering what Amazon did to the book industry, what chances do y'all see for the future of the comic industry? Do you think retailers stand a chance?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Covok posted:

I know more sales are done physically than digitally, but, with Amazon doing super-heavy sales on comics on same-day releases and considering what Amazon did to the book industry, what chances do y'all see for the future of the comic industry? Do you think retailers stand a chance?

I think comic stores will always exist, but the amount will probably shrink in the short term at least.

It's notable that while Amazon annihilated Borders and Barnes and Noble, the number of independent bookstores increased by 35% between 2009 and 2015

Also, while trying to find a hard number for that I discovered tomorrow is Independent Bookstore Day, so check that out if you can.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Skwirl posted:

I think comic stores will always exist, but the amount will probably shrink in the short term at least.

It's notable that while Amazon annihilated Borders and Barnes and Noble, the number of independent bookstores increased by 35% between 2009 and 2015

Also, while trying to find a hard number for that I discovered tomorrow is Independent Bookstore Day, so check that out if you can.

Amazon didn't annihilate Borders or Barnes and Noble. Borders was killed by corporate malfeasance, the same thing that's currently killing Barnes and Noble.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Guy Goodbody posted:

Amazon didn't annihilate Borders or Barnes and Noble. Borders was killed by corporate malfeasance, the same thing that's currently killing Barnes and Noble.
I mean, you're not entirely wrong, but Amazon is still at least a proximate cause; Borders went down because they ignored digital sales and e-readers entirely and Barnes and Noble is dropping because even though they didn't, the Nook simply can't hang against the Kindle.

Like, if I made you boss of Barnes and Noble with magic powers to transform it in any way you see fit, so long as they still sell books and Amazon is still Amazon, what exactly do you do to make yourself a viable business? I don't see a path.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

CapnAndy posted:

I mean, you're not entirely wrong, but Amazon is still at least a proximate cause; Borders went down because they ignored digital sales and e-readers entirely and Barnes and Noble is dropping because even though they didn't, the Nook simply can't hang against the Kindle.

Like, if I made you boss of Barnes and Noble with magic powers to transform it in any way you see fit, so long as they still sell books and Amazon is still Amazon, what exactly do you do to make yourself a viable business? I don't see a path.

Suicide booths, like in Futurama.

They all cost $25 to use. You give them to all the managers of your stores and you automatically promote the oldest employee after the manager uses it. Considering how hosed they are, you'll get a lot of use out of them and it'll probably make up for lost revenue.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

CapnAndy posted:

Indigo had almost a billion in sales and 50m ebitda so probably whatever they’re doing.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

CapnAndy posted:

No, dude. Barnes and Noble is currently being intentionally killed by executives. They're selling the long term survival of the company for short term gains for themselves.

http://audreyii-fic.tumblr.com/post/170886347853/the-entirely-unnecessary-demise-of-barnes-noble

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Can't we just give up on capitalism already? We've given it so many chances.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

Can't we just give up on capitalism already? We've given it so many chances.

Unfortunately, Baby Boomers and the stupider Gen Xers and Millennials are all behind Capitalism and outnumber the smart people who recognize it as a blight on society.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Has anyone ever read Max Allan Collins's murder mysteries which are all set during the tail end of the Golden Age of Comics and fictionalise famous comic book disputes? e.g. I believe the most recent one he's written revolves around Seduction of the Innocent.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

We have two big shops in town, one also sells board games and action figure/statuette type things, and the other mainly makes money running MtG and X Wing nights. I imagine that’s how most shops will survive, diversifying

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's a different market in America so I can't relate; in my home town (Belfast in Northern Ireland) there is a single comic shop (a Forbidden Planet) which had some really fantastic luck about 10 years ago when they moved from a poo poo location to a hitherto even shitter location, which then turned out to be right across the street from this giant new shopping centre that was built and opened within a year of them moving.

Similarly, there's one dedicated bookshop as well, which is a Waterstone's (the main bookseller chain in the UK). There used to be two, until one of them burned down, and it was another Waterstone's. I think what's helped them keep going (throughout the country, really) is that they've put coffee shops in a lot of their locations. I know Barnes & Noble does that but you must keep in mind that a big Waterstone's is still probably smaller than the smallest Barnes & Noble.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The Borders that used to be in Glasgow was hilarious. Their coffee shop was a Starbucks franchise. There was literally another Starbucks next door. Just across an alley from it. You could sit in one Starbucks and look at people sitting in the other.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gaz-L posted:

The Borders that used to be in Glasgow was hilarious. Their coffee shop was a Starbucks franchise. There was literally another Starbucks next door. Just across an alley from it. You could sit in one Starbucks and look at people sitting in the other.

Barnes and Noble here serves Starbucks product and has their logo above the cafe. In both locations there is a Starbucks less than 100 yards away.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gaz-L posted:

That was part of their original expansion plans in dense urban areas, if you just have a 15 minute break to buy a coffee you won't cross the street to buy coffee. There's a bunch of weird intersections in America where you can see 3 different starbucks without doing more than turn your head, though they scaled back their operations about a decade ago so that may no longer be as true.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5VqUtQBnOI

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Barnes and Noble here serves Starbucks product and has their logo above the cafe. In both locations there is a Starbucks less than 100 yards away.

The weirdest part about leaving Seattle for me was having to walk more than 3 blocks for coffee, 80% of the time it'd be a Starbucks.

Starbucks is closing 8,000 stores for a day to do racial sensitivity training after those two Black men were arrested for waiting for a friend. Every news article about it says 8,000 stores are being closed but none of them say "all" or "most" of their stores. It's 175,000 employees that will be a part of this, which means that it's likely that in May more people in America will attend a Starbucks one day workshop than buy a comic book.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
More people in America will do more things than buy a comic book most days, they're not exactly flying off the shelves.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.
https://twitter.com/PaulTobin/status/990071026305265664

https://twitter.com/eVil_sQuirrelus/status/990116381583605760

Twitter is stupid and doesn't let you see the thing at fullres

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I saw a paperback collection of Emily Carroll's spooky comic strips in a bookshop just the other day. The art is obviously very good but "His Face All Red" doesn't work as well when you're turning pages at the end rather than scrolling down a screen.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Samuringa posted:

Twitter is stupid and doesn't let you see the thing at fullres

At least you can click in and get the source image, unlike Instagram.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

https://twitter.com/darkpivot/status/989680043772268544

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

WHERE'S THAT drat FOURTH CHAOS EMERALD?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
https://twitter.com/dale_fromcali/status/988792004376051712

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Dude had no idea what he was getting into. He's gonna be doing that poo poo for 25 years.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Can anyone defend Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader? I mean, it isn't horrible but it doesn't rise above mediocrity for me.

I like the idea that Alfred's old theater buddies were just playing dress up as costumed criminals and the villains all having their own funny cars, but other than that, it just seemed kind of meh.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
For a book designed to live up to the Superman story it fails on a pretty spectacular level.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

A Strange Aeon posted:

Can anyone defend Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader? I mean, it isn't horrible but it doesn't rise above mediocrity for me.

I like the idea that Alfred's old theater buddies were just playing dress up as costumed criminals and the villains all having their own funny cars, but other than that, it just seemed kind of meh.

I liked it, but it's a poor Neil Gaiman book, even judging him just by other big two superhero stuff.

Has Gaiman ever written Superman?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Skwirl posted:

Has Gaiman ever written Superman?

He appears in The Wake where apparently the silver age red kryptonite stories are all weird dreams he has. But I wouldn't count that.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
He wrote Superman in Legend of the Green Flame, but that was a very weird book.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
He has a personified version of Krypton's sun Rao being talked to at a party by Despair, who says how cool it would be if the planet blew up leaving only one survivor to remember and despair.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

A Strange Aeon posted:

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
It's a wonderful allegorical story about what Batman means on both a literal and metafictional level.

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

A Strange Aeon posted:

I think it’s an interesting take on the Batman myth and how no matter how he is portrayed in every single conflicting story about his death he’s a hero, even when he’s obviously a crazy man playing dress up against Alfred’s theatre buddies.

And I did love the meta commentary of how even if the legend of Batman never dies, even if the character does (this happened around the end of R.I.P.), the story will always be rebooted.

I think under a different name (it doesn’t really follow up the classic Moore Man of Tomorrow story very much) and some trimming it would be great instead of just good.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Senior Woodchuck posted:

It's a wonderful allegorical story about what Batman means on both a literal and metafictional level.

Truly wonderful indeed 😂😂😂

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think we probably have enough superhero comics about superhero comics at this point.

• Locked thread