Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mewse
May 2, 2006

This is a cool project. The 8-bit AVR in the arduino mega is enough to keep track of all the sensors and timing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

Slavvy posted:

OK I feel like I'm losing my mind here. I've been merrily playing around with logging and VE analyze for the past few weeks and everything has been working fine. The last time I connected to the bike about a week ago, everything worked ok. Now tunerstudio can't connect at all.

Things I have tested:

USB to serial cable is ok, I can do a successful feedback loop through it on my laptop.
The wiring from the comms jack to the MS connector tests fine.
Port settings on tunerstudio are all exactly the same as they always were, using the detect port function just leads to it saying it can't find anything.
I have touched nothing on the bike since last time, the battery is fully charged and the bike starts and runs fine.

At this point I have no choice but to assume some sort of freak butterfly effect has caused the MS to poo poo itself in some very specific way. Is there some way of testing the microsquirt directly or resetting it from scratch somehow? All the MS documentation is a baffling maze, I can't seem to find anything explaining what to do in this situation.

When you say "port settings" in tunerstudio is that serial port settings, like com port number and stuff? You could check device manager in windows to see what com port number the equipment is getting, it might change on different USB ports on your computer

mewse
May 2, 2006

Ah yeah Linux doesn't have com port numbers they're /dev/ttyS0 or whatever right?

It still kinda sounds like a problem in tunerstudio to me, does it give the same error message if the cable is disconnected entirely, "can't detect port"?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Serial ports are such an archaic and infuriating technology that I still think it could be your computer.

The minimal set of wires for rs232 is 3 wires: transmit data, receive data, and ground.

mewse
May 2, 2006

You could try soldering a bodge wire to bypass the burned trace

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

Slavvy posted:

Sooo I've noticed that on factory bike ITB's, there is often vacuum lines that join all of the TB's together in a t-junction, then feed to a MAP. I don't have a MAP (working on it!), and each TB has two vacuum nipples adjacent to eachother, all of them are blocked off. I've noticed that my lovely off-idle stumble that I've been fighting for months (bike runs great in the rest of the range now that I've figured out what I'm doing!) is significantly reduced if I join all the TB's together with vacuum lines. So with that in mind:

- am I loving things up by doing this? It seems logical to me to have some balancing lines so if one TB is slightly more open than the others, it won't try to run out of balance because the other three can just scavenge the deficit

- what's the best way to link them? On a lot of factory bikes they're all linked together, so 4 into 1 which I assume is the best layout. I haven't got any t-fittings handy so I've got them set up joining 1-3, 2-4, 1-2 and 3-4 for now and idle, off-idle etc are all considerably improved

Dorman 5-way splitter like this maybe?