Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Barry is HBO's new half-hour show created by Alec Berg (Silicon Valley, Curb Your Enthusiasm) and Bill Hader (The Angry Birds Movie), starring Hader himself, Stephen Root, Sarah Goldberg, and Henry Winkler. Hader plays the titular Barry, an Iraq war veteran who has been given a new post-deployment purpose (killing people for the mob) by his father's friend Fuches (Stephen Root). After being assigned a new target in Los Angeles, Barry accidentally stumbles into Gene Cousineau's (Henry Winkler) acting class for novice thespians and decides he wants to become an actor. Fuches pushes back on his desire to stop being a hitman, leading to the core premise: Barry trying to balance being both a hitman and an actor, while falling in love with his classmate Sally (Sarah Goldberg).

Trailers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b09aJdWqVp4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b09aJdWqVp4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgA3_ARt174
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgA3_ARt174

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-4JRHO6xP0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-4JRHO6xP0

Barry airs Sundays at 10:30 ET on HBO. The first two episodes have aired as of this post.

El Jeffe fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Apr 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rugikiki
Jan 15, 2008

Illinois Nazis.
I hate Illinois Nazis!

I don’t have a lot of deep thoughts on this show yet, but I’ve really enjoyed the first two episodes and have been waiting for this thread for a week. I hope NoHo Hank makes it through the whole season!

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Rugikiki posted:

I don’t have a lot of deep thoughts on this show yet, but I’ve really enjoyed the first two episodes and have been waiting for this thread for a week. I hope NoHo Hank makes it through the whole season!

NoHo Hank is the best part of the show so far imo. But good god the teeth filing :stare:

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

What's in the ape pit?

APES.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I really appreciate the tone they strike w Barry. Emphasizing his skill without making it cool, and making it a relatively somber affair post-kill. It’s great that Bill doesn’t have to do wacky guy at all, and he makes a great foil for everyone around him.

They nail how malleable he is to the events around him, and show off the insanity that exists in our own lives.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Dude, thanks. Wouldn't know this existed without this thread. I guess it now makes sense why Hader hosted SNL a couple weeks ago, but I din't think he promoted this during the show, at all.

I love me some Bill Hader.

...Henry Winkler is good, too.

Can't wait to check this out :3:

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
Yeah, when he's confronted by that guy's dad and he's just utterly dumbfounded and confused it comes across really strongly. Like he's been given this idea that he's just been taking out faceless baddies who have no connections in life, but they're always people and no one is in a vacuum. It's just that Barry has never really had to deal with the after effects of what he does, and now he's getting knee deep into people's lives (or the superficial levels of Hollywood acting life) and he's engrossed while also needing to come to terms with the effects of his actions.

I think there's an even greater humor and darkness to that memorial because it's just a bunch of actors trying to get seen at a car crash and then legit emotion comes up from the father, and it comes across as such a blow to Barry. It's a really great scene.

edit: No tienes que hacer esto...indeed.

discworld is all I read fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Apr 10, 2018

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
holy gently caress this show is good

NoHo Hank is the best, but Barry is pretty good too.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

discworld is all I read posted:

Yeah, when he's confronted by that guy's dad and he's just utterly dumbfounded and confused it comes across really strongly. Like he's been given this idea that he's just been taking out faceless baddies who have no connections in life, but they're always people and no one is in a vacuum. It's just that Barry has never really had to deal with the after effects of what he does, and now he's getting knee deep into people's lives (or the superficial levels of Hollywood acting life) and he's engrossed while also needing to come to terms with the effects of his actions.

I think there's an even greater humor and darkness to that memorial because it's just a bunch of actors trying to get seen at a car crash and then legit emotion comes up from the father, and it comes across as such a blow to Barry. It's a really great scene.

edit: No tienes que hacer esto...indeed.

I thought Paco’s daughter was gonna be in play. Barry enters the window in what’s clearly a little girl’s room, so I thought it would come up while he was strangling Paco. Maybe next episode or later in the season.

Also, I know it’s only a few seconds so it might not be an actual song... but what’s the song that the opening title uses?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I hope at some point someone makes a passing insult that he looks like dwight schrute because just look at the guy.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Boywhiz88 posted:

Also, I know it’s only a few seconds so it might not be an actual song... but what’s the song that the opening title uses?

Charles Bradley - Change for the World

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

The pilot seemed to have a slightly less funny tone to it, but the bald antagonist really brought a lot of humour to the last two episodes. If it keeps up it'll be great.

Although I already want way less of the annoying actress girl.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
The hamfisted romantic B-plot is by far the weakest part of the show. It's perfectly strong without it.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

bill hader is no john cusack

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"
Weakest episode so far and I think that's largely due to the lack of Zsasz

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

I actually loved this one. Winkler cracked me up, and Barry's awful monologue and subsequent breakthrough were great too.

It did sort of feel like a different show without any hitman stuff, but looks like that's not going to last very long.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Show is really good so far - especially loving the meta jokes/commentary pieces thrown in.. Bill Hader is also great as a hitman, and reminds me of the parts of Dexter I enjoyed.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

El Jeffe posted:

I actually loved this one. Winkler cracked me up, and Barry's awful monologue and subsequent breakthrough were great too.

It did sort of feel like a different show without any hitman stuff, but looks like that's not going to last very long.

They had hitman stuff. Barry tried and failed to get out of the business, and the FBI unlocked the dashcam. The show would lose too much if it lost that element. Like if Dexter had gone straight after he acquired a human family.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
i like the police techies and the ukranian programmer they brought in to unlock the camera. The shows strength thus far, for me personally, is having haders deadfish awkward social personality clash with him as a stone cold operator. His frustration at being forced to do something he doesnt wanna do despite being so good at it was great fodder in eps 1 to 3

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Propaganda Machine posted:

They had hitman stuff. Barry tried and failed to get out of the business, and the FBI unlocked the dashcam. The show would lose too much if it lost that element. Like if Dexter had gone straight after he acquired a human family.

Should've been more clear, I meant Barry himself acting as a hitman like in the previous episodes.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
All we've seen Barry do, short of the cold open, is question himself, avoid a hit, and then take out the Russians in dramatically compellingly obtuse self defense. They've established that it's not going to be a show of the-mark-of-the-week. Any hit is going to be a plot point, and you just know the FBI investigation is going to go tits up for Barry by the end of the season. They're lulling the audience into a false sense of security if anything.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

My one wish is that NoHo Hank survives because he's the best.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Vanderdeath posted:

My one wish is that NoHo Hank survives because he's the best.

https://streamable.com/bgfwz

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

I really connected w Barry this episode. I’ve hugely misunderstood relationships, felt empty inside, unfulfilled, etc. When the last episode ends on that scene of him walking through the grocery store, at peace, and in love. It’s really relatable, and very bittersweet.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
uh hey barry... when we gonna kill those guys... bye

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
I kinda wonder if they're ever going to touch on Barry's childhood at all, cause it's hard to pass off that this social awkwardness is just from the military, right? His interactions with Sally just comes across as his first date ever and he just lost his virginity or something. I mean I get writing the character to be naive and socially awkward or stunted, but it seems a bit hyperbolic without more justification or background.

Also still continuing to enjoy the vapidness that the entire acting class has behind it, especially that one part where the British actress was like "I took a quiz to see if I lived in a bubble and it turns out I do" or when they were being questioned and that one guy was ready to just turn and assume that other guy was a murderer with no real reasoning behind it.

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005
I couldn't get through episode 4, literally anything else was distracting me and winning. I guess the show just isn't for me- but I'm also not sure it's any good. I have struggled to find much humor in the show- but the drama isn't compelling enough to keep me interested either. I love it any time that Henry Winkler is on screen, he's by far the best part of the show.

Maybe if I was watching this show with my wife or friends I could find some humor in it- but I also find that I'm really over cringe humor. I just don't find it entertaining to cringe my way through a 30 minute show. Oh look, Barry doesn't know how to take a hint to leave. Oh look, a cop is crying in the pictures because he's getting divorced. Oh, and just to give this particular joke a mean streak- all of his coworkers had a bet on how long his marriage would last. I have preciously little time for entertainment, and while I'm not necessarily looking for Friends, I can't justify spending my time watching through my fingers.

I love Bill Hader, and I want to see him get more work- but if this show is going to be successful it's going to need a Parks and Rec season 3 kind of turn around.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I did like the suggestion that Barry does have some legitimate potential as an actor. The way he changes when he's around his military friend suggests that he's capable of shaping the way he acts to the people he's around. But then you go back to the way he melted when performing that Glenngarry monologue -- not just terrible line readings that span off into different directions with every single line, but also the way he played the character like the character genuinely cared about the people around him. He's a people pleaser.

I'm not sure I can buy how naive Barry is though. How could an ex-marine be such a sheltered boy scout? It's like he's an actual child.

Is it a compartmentalisation thing? Does he separate his identity that starkly in order to protect himself from confronting the grisly and messy nature of his work?

Huh, maybe I solved my own problem.

SpitztheGreat posted:

I couldn't get through episode 4, literally anything else was distracting me and winning. I guess the show just isn't for me- but I'm also not sure it's any good. I have struggled to find much humor in the show- but the drama isn't compelling enough to keep me interested either. I love it any time that Henry Winkler is on screen, he's by far the best part of the show.

I suspect this show isn't for you, maybe? It's one of those black comedies where everyone is held at a distance by their uglier qualities, but still close enough so that their suffering has bite. It sounds kind of the opposite of the thing you're looking for right now.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
This show is mostly for gearheads

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I feel like we could lose the acting class and love interest and focus more on The black comedy hitman stuff and it would still be a complete show. The acting class stuff is just suffocating the hitman stuff, which is where most of the humor is at right now.

Lord Sexatron
Aug 1, 2003
NoHo Hank best Hank

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Laserface posted:

I feel like we could lose the acting class and love interest and focus more on The black comedy hitman stuff and it would still be a complete show. The acting class stuff is just suffocating the hitman stuff, which is where most of the humor is at right now.

Yea, I do not like the acting class stuff as much. It was good for the character development for the first few episodes but I'm a bit over it now. It should be more of a "cover" thing that Barry's using to kill time and blend in in L.A with rather than something he's fighting to do.

I love the Chechen mob and Monroe (Root) and I really hope that season 2 focuses much more on that kind of stuff. It's fun watching Hader switch from "decent guy who doesn't have much experience socializing" to "very capable killing machine" but the acting class stuff really distracts from what the show should be.

Also I really, really hope the show doesn't do the whole 'Silicon Valley' thing where every character sabotages everything around them because I'm really getting sick of the "perpetual fuckup" kind of humor there. Let the characters
and their world grow and mature some.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Liked that even with suppressors their guns were proper loud

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Milo and POTUS posted:

Liked that even with suppressors their guns were proper loud

Yea I loved that. I really like how fast and lethal the violence is in this, it really doesn't glamorize how brutal and quick gunfights are.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Tumble posted:

Yea, I do not like the acting class stuff as much. It was good for the character development for the first few episodes but I'm a bit over it now. It should be more of a "cover" thing that Barry's using to kill time and blend in in L.A with rather than something he's fighting to do.

I don't get you. Barry's thespian desires are a fundamental part of the show's premise. It's not a show about a killer guy who also acts, it's a show about a killer guy who wants to act but is loving terrible at it. If you downplay the acting classes then you're making a completely different show.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Lord Sexatron posted:

NoHo Hank best Hank

Is this a real sticker set for iMessage or made for the show?

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Open Source Idiom posted:

I don't get you. Barry's thespian desires are a fundamental part of the show's premise. It's not a show about a killer guy who also acts, it's a show about a killer guy who wants to act but is loving terrible at it. If you downplay the acting classes then you're making a completely different show.

:agreed: It's the core conflict of the show and its source of tension.

Lord Sexatron posted:

NoHo Hank best Hank

This part made me laugh so hard.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
The acting class was really good this episode I thought. Winkler is clearly great, and them all telling Barry what a horrible person he is without realizing it was classic. I think episodes 1-3 and 5 were all solid A+. What held back Episode 4 was the lack of chechan mob antics. If they aren't gonna have a "hit" or some kind of brutal action sequence to help whiplash the mood of the cringy socialization stuff they need to have some mob antics. Just have noho hank drop by and chat up Barry.

the introduction of taylor to the barry/fuchs dynamic should offer more of that needed contrast as well.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

discworld is all I read posted:

I kinda wonder if they're ever going to touch on Barry's childhood at all, cause it's hard to pass off that this social awkwardness is just from the military, right? His interactions with Sally just comes across as his first date ever and he just lost his virginity or something. I mean I get writing the character to be naive and socially awkward or stunted, but it seems a bit hyperbolic without more justification or background.

I've been viewing Barry as a Dexter-style sociopath, it's not that he's naive or inexperienced about relationships (although that's probably the case too), rather he just doesn't understand them at all and is just trying to imitate (or act!!) what he thinks is normal behavior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Barry, its Tracy. Lets fuckin do this thing, man. Kill people. gently caress yeah. Later.

• Locked thread