Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
What an insane episode. The contrast between how cheery and fun the criminals are with how dark Barry is is great. I loved when NoHo Hank and Fuches were reminiscing about Barry. This episode was probably the best so far, but I think the best moment was probably the "GULP!" bitmoji.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Hader and the writers do a really good job of making him sympathetic. He's definitely had a hosed up life beyond just war loving him up in general. I think his place before he moves to become an actor is a good hint at it. That said, he's done terrible, terrible things.

(light but real spoilers/implications about the finale)As sad and intense and emotional as the scene where he kills Chris Marquette is (I think it's the high point of the season) he does something just as bad in the season finale that plays a little more cartoon-y and I'm interested to see how people react to it.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka
There's definitely parts I like about this show, but it feels like an hour-long episode format condensed down by half. Everything in terms of how the characters progress feels hurried, especially Sally, who almost feels railroaded in how quickly they had to flip her into minor tyrant mode to make a point about how acting and the need to become famous can warp people. The side characters are otherwise cast as pretty thin caricatures, though I did like the fallout of episode 6 just because it presents some much-needed stakes and dramatic pressure for our MC. The move to have Chris understand what was about to happen to him is the first time I really got excited, because otherwise everyone in this show is blind as a bat when it comes to other people's motivations. Winkler's well-used when he gets those rare moments to really put his costars in their places, the holy fool who can occasionally put a really good read on someone. Interested to see the finale, just hoping when season 2 happens they find a better pace.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Squashing Machine posted:

Everything in terms of how the characters progress feels hurried, especially Sally, who almost feels railroaded in how quickly they had to flip her into minor tyrant mode to make a point about how acting and the need to become famous can warp people.

It’s not entirely her need to be “famous,” it’s that she got MeToo’d by the sleazy agent who “hip-pocketed” her and it hosed her up.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

DivisionPost posted:

It’s not entirely her need to be “famous,” it’s that she got MeToo’d by the sleazy agent who “hip-pocketed” her and it hosed her up.

Excuse me that was just a joke. Can't you take a joke. He was only joking!!!

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka

DivisionPost posted:

Yeah, but that moment seems to be intended to crystallize a kind of pathology she already had kicking around inside, you could see it in little bits before that. She doesn't ask Barry if she's a good actress, she asks him if she's going to be a star. If the point is how a traumatic experience can gently caress with someone's priorities and their relationships with their peers, I just think it could've been fleshed out better with more time to breathe. I find it a bit whiplashy right now.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

quote:

There's definitely parts I like about this show, but it feels like an hour-long episode format condensed down by half.

It's really more like a movie being dragged to 4 hours.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Show owns. I did figure Barry was gonna have a talk with the pervy agent at some point though.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Also in the article: Those bruises on Stephen Root in the scene where he comes out of the shower were his own, from a cupping session.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
Just binged from episode 1. Love it.

Tumble posted:

This was a great episode. I like how quickly Taylor wore out his usefulness in these last 2 episodes. He went from being a competent shooter and saving Barry's rear end, to outing himself as an impulsive idiot and getting himself and probably a couple other people killed. I kind of thought he was going to be a bit of an idiot savant, especially when he was telling Barry to kill Fuch's. "Taylor... kill Fuchs? ... I can do that?" But no, Taylor is actually as dumb as he seems lol

I can almost see Barry's thought process. He didn't want to keep being a killer, and he had probably dealt with similar gently caress up psychos in the military and it worked out fine in the end. He didn't take into account that in the military there is a big huge chain of command keeping these guys in line and channeling them into something useful. He couldn't do that himself, and the result was a dumbass military psycho off the leash.

Mulva posted:

I think you are wildly overestimating the degree to which Gene is a real teacher.

I basically have seen him from the start as Roger in a crossover from American Dad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rk-c70HAeYA

I love the dark protagonist dreaming of a simple American Dream middle class life and the cheery self-help obsessed gangsters who already seem to have it. The contrast alone is funny, but on a deeper level I feel like there is a little more to it. Their acceptance of their own identity as monsters somehow frees them, while scumbags like the agent or (to a much lesser degree) acting teacher are taking on roles where their exploitation is hidden a layer deeper beneath a respectable veneer which results in them actually being less happy and less self-actualized than murderous scum.

Barry is torn between both options. In acting he learns to lie about who he is, as a hitman his true self comes out. The only time he can act well and find progress towards that domestic dream is when he exposes his darkness on the stage.

Here's a line that struck me:

quote:

“God, it must have been such a challenge to become a wooden boy who then becomes a real boy. I love playing transformative roles like that.”

I think that's the key to where Barry has to go. He needs to change his true self and then he will be less of a monster, and he can exploit that ability to grow and change to be an actual good actor.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Gonna watch this one live for once. Hyped for the finale :dance:

e: Nevermind I guess it's delayed on Now. :argh:

e2: It was because Westworld went over.

El Jeffe fucked around with this message at 03:57 on May 14, 2018

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

This show better be back for a second season. I can't believe how every episode seems to be better than the preceding one.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Holy loving poo poo

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Mental Hospitality posted:

This show better be back for a second season. I can't believe how every episode seems to be better than the preceding one.

The final sequence of the finale was extremely well done and I can't believe how good this show got in such a short time.

Crime Lord NoHo Hank better return. Also RIP Janice :smith:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The world is in desperate need of a Noho Hank prequel spinoff.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Haha must be another fantasy... this is a long one... hold on

What a brilliant end to a brilliant season. It really should get lengthened to ~45 min.

Mental Hospitality posted:

It got renewed.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
After last week.....I'm pretty disappointed with the finale. They rushed it badly. Too many story lines wrapped up FAR too quickly. Sloppy and unsatisfying after a pretty well paced first season.

I especially didn't care for the jump forward. A weekend getaway (with the acting coach and the detective) where he's now in a perfect relationship. They are now starring in a play together.....despite the fact that Barry is still a terrible actor. What's her name nearly got a role in a FOX sitcom? Seriously? At first I thought, and was hoping, that it was just going to be another one of Barry's daydreams.

They kind of botched the finale in my opinion. They did set it up for an interesting second season however. Even though with the detective going missing is overwhelmingly going to point to Barry as the likely suspect.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I don't see how it will come back to him. She was the only one who suspected Barry. It will be weird that she disappeared, but who is going to connect it? I honestly suspected Fuchs had come back at first. I feel like he has to be a villain next season. He'll recruit a new hitman and try to get him to kill Barry to tie up loose ends or something.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Man what a great season of TV. I don't know where season 2 will go but if the Chechans are not in it I will be sad, they were such a weird collection of violent goofs. NoHo Hank was obviously the stand out, but all the creepy torture goofs were funny too.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Honestly was a great way to wrap everything up; whether it be Barry's constant attempts to justify that it'll just be one more time and then it'll all be normal, or the cops making the tenuous connection between one lone, crazed Marine and an actor/physical therapist masterminding a gangland war between two factions (while the police chief also went to great lengths to talk about Kurosawa during a press conference), and finally the sad fact that someone would inevitably put two and two together and come up with Barry...so good. And they did a great job with building up tension more and more without it being over done in every episode.

Also just seeing Hader's facial expressions every time he realized that he was going to be found out and his instincts kicking in to preserve his normalcy at any costs; it was somehow humorous and grim all at once. Makes you realize that if Sally ever got wind of it, that Barry would have no qualms of taking her out to just feel bad about it later to get into a proper acting mindset.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice

withak posted:

The world is in desperate need of a Noho Hank prequel spinoff.
Best goddamn supporting character in ages.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
That Kurosawa tangent was the most Bill Hader-rear end thing

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
Also I don't mind dark but this show cracks me up so I hope they keep the great balance of comedy mixed in with the dark themes and situations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
gently caress me that series was good. Easily my new favorite series on TV.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

RestingB1tchFace posted:

After last week.....I'm pretty disappointed with the finale. They rushed it badly. Too many story lines wrapped up FAR too quickly. Sloppy and unsatisfying after a pretty well paced first season.

I especially didn't care for the jump forward. A weekend getaway (with the acting coach and the detective) where he's now in a perfect relationship. They are now starring in a play together.....despite the fact that Barry is still a terrible actor. What's her name nearly got a role in a FOX sitcom? Seriously? At first I thought, and was hoping, that it was just going to be another one of Barry's daydreams.

They kind of botched the finale in my opinion. They did set it up for an interesting second season however. Even though with the detective going missing is overwhelmingly going to point to Barry as the likely suspect.

The play was obviously a horrifically terrible idea as they described it, it totally fits.

And for all my talk of Barry needing to walk the path of transformation, the message here is he will never do it. He will always pull the trigger rather than face the music, so he can never truly be redeemed. Dark comedy at it's best, I love it.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Seriously expected Barry to confront the lovely agent

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I feel like they handled the Chechan mob story well and its left in a state that can either be finished or can come back later if they want to. Hopefully they do, the wholesome and light hearted organised criminal thing was great.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I wouldn't mind if they do a bunch of different strangely affable ethnic gang leaders interacting with Barry and they mutually screwing each other over each season

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Good. I really like this show but the tone is all over the place. It can't decide if it's a dark comedy or a comedy. The dramatic stuff is great, Hader (whom I've never really cared for) is fantastic and the violence is appropriately horrifying but the goofy cops and Chechens make it feel like a different show. I like the Hank character and he can work at times but the Chechen boss guy (who's dead now, thankfully) felt like a Tony Soprano parody to such a degree that it was grating and I'm concerned about the Colombian boss guy a bit, too.

If they dial down the goofiness and forced one-liners in S2, I'm all aboard.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
No way. The big appeal of the show to me is that it finds a perfect balance between those two.

I wouldn't call it tonally inconsistent at all. I'd say it creates a world where there can be an examination of the darker fringes of the human experience as well as a big goofy premises with exaggerated characters. It's the contrast between those two that makes the show work. Going one direction or the other would take away a big part of what makes the show special. I hope that the "Somehow Darker" is referring to doubling-down on the former but retaining the latter.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, there's nothing tonally wonky about this show. The Mob stuff is goofy and shallow, and the stuff in Barry's personal life is heavy and granular -- so the stuff that he cares about is rendered emotionally resonant and important, and the stuff he sees as an ephemeral is lighter. It aligns us with his point of view.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Just finished this. The flamboyent Chechen was so great.

Standout scene for me though is when Barry gets mad at the class when they are talking about murderers. I can totally see that actually happening to a marine who saw action.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

drunken officeparty posted:

Standout scene for me though is when Barry gets mad at the class when they are talking about murderers. I can totally see that actually happening to a marine who saw action.

Just wait until next season, when Gene tries to prove atheism by challenging God to knock him off the stage.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST posted:

Just wait until next season, when Gene tries to prove atheism by challenging God to knock him off the stage.

And that marine was Albert Einstein.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Gene did a three hour play in 37 minutes. I think he can handle Barry.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hader's been confirmed as adult Richie Tozier in IT 2 or whatever it's gonna be called

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Hughmoris posted:

Gene did a three hour play in 37 minutes. I think he can handle Barry.

This joke made me laugh harder than any other in the season. Maybe because I love that play. It's what really finally sold me on the show.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

How did he dispose of her body? He always either just left the other ones where they were or the Chechens took care of it.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

How did he dispose of her body? He always either just left the other ones where they were or the Chechens took care of it.

I assume somewhere in the lake, but maybe that will come up in season 2's premiere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eshock
Sep 2, 2004

The sun was rising when he finally got back to his room so he obviously put some effort into this one.

• Locked thread