Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

feedmyleg posted:

No way. The big appeal of the show to me is that it finds a perfect balance between those two.

I was saying all season that I thought they were balancing the tone perfectly, but him killing the cop kind of went too far for me. It wouldn't have been so bad if they hadn't put so much into Gene's scenes with her, but Winkler played those so well that now I kind of hate Barry for loving up his life. I think I'm still on board for Season 2, assuming they keep the rival cartels involved, but Bill Hader saying the show will go darker doesn't make me feel great about the future.

I still think it's a great show, it's just not so much my thing anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I think that entire cabin scene was a dream.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

The season should have ended at the bar, that epilogue in the cabin was surreal in its rapidity and 1 dimensional flattening of its characters. Left a bad taste in my mouth. At least I got to see Bill Hader have a great dramatic role.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I felt like the ending was perfect. I only wish that they'd seeded a few more "staring now"s throughout the rest of the season.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

Keyser_Soze posted:

I think that entire cabin scene was a dream.

It wasn't. They discussed that on the 'behind the episode' feature. They certainly filmed it like it was, though! Down to the sound design.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Still wanted him to confront the perv agent.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm assuming he either destroyed the body or took it somewhere and made it look like an accident. Either way the guilt he feels whenever he see how distraught Gene is is going to help him in his "process".

I hope next season they delve more into Barry's " doing horrible things helps my acting process". Having to do something you hate to make you good at something you love is a really interest dichotomy for a character to have.

I'd also love to see a time jump and cast change, losing most of the acting class and moving Barry and Sally into a higher echelon of actors and egos to death with.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

It's really hard to hide a body. Especially when people know the general area someone went missing. Whether the show hand waves it away or focuses on it I guess we'll have to wait and see.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
There's no way the police are going to find the bullet-ridden body. The next season is just going to be about Barry being successful and finding happiness with no conflict.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Naerasa posted:

I was saying all season that I thought they were balancing the tone perfectly, but him killing the cop kind of went too far for me. It wouldn't have been so bad if they hadn't put so much into Gene's scenes with her, but Winkler played those so well that now I kind of hate Barry for loving up his life. I think I'm still on board for Season 2, assuming they keep the rival cartels involved, but Bill Hader saying the show will go darker doesn't make me feel great about the future.

I still think it's a great show, it's just not so much my thing anymore.

You're supposed to hate Barry. He's not a good person.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
You're not supposed to hate him. You can condemn his actions and still attempt to empathize with him.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

Shageletic posted:

The season should have ended at the bar, that epilogue in the cabin was surreal in its rapidity and 1 dimensional flattening of its characters. Left a bad taste in my mouth. At least I got to see Bill Hader have a great dramatic role.

Yup. This is exactly the problem that I had with it.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

feedmyleg posted:

There's no way the police are going to find the bullet-ridden body. The next season is just going to be about Barry being successful and finding happiness with no conflict.

The body will be Weekend at Burniesed

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

My friend who works in the TV industry insisted I watch this show. Just finished the first episode and it was pretty drat good.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Good News: That is the worst episode.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

TheBizzness posted:

Good News: That is the worst episode.

That's very encouraging. I usually try to avoid judging a show by it's pilot. Often takes a few episodes to hit the stride.

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
It’s 2018 how is slavface still a thing?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

feedmyleg posted:

You're not supposed to hate him. You can condemn his actions and still attempt to empathize with him.

It's very hard to not hate him after the car scene

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

Chris James 2 posted:

It's very hard to not hate him after the car scene

What would you have Barry do there? He tried to at least kick the can down the road by swearing to secrecy, but Chris ensured that everyone they love would have ended up dead. If Chris was thinking clearly he would have killed the murderous hitman first.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

yeah the car scene is rough because obviously it’s wrong to murder but from the perspective of everyone involved it was the only reasonable course of action. i was really glad to see the character go there instead of not being able to do it and it turning into this big obvious “will this come back to haunt him” subplot like most shows do

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
That was probably my favorite scene of the whole season. The tension while Barry waits for the other car to drive away and Chris somehow has no idea of what’s about to happen.

Good stuff.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

TheBizzness posted:

That was probably my favorite scene of the whole season. The tension while Barry waits for the other car to drive away and Chris somehow has no idea of what’s about to happen.

Good stuff.

Chris absolutely knows what is going to happen as soon as Barry loses his cool, that's why he starts trying to calm him down and claiming that he had told his wife where he was going after all.

Also I cannot believe people are sincerely buying into the idea that Barry killed his friend out of duty to his friend's family. Chris doesn't know anything about Goran or the Bolivian boss and they in turn have no idea he even exists. The only living person Chris can implicate is Barry, and as the finale underlined Barry is perfectly willing to murder innocent people in order to stay out of prison for his other murders and preserve his stupid, doomed dreams.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jun 2, 2018

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I knew someone would take umbrage with that but to me he seems as naive in that scene as he did the entire time.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST posted:

The only living person Chris can implicate is Barry, and as the finale underlined Barry is perfectly willing to murder innocent people in order to stay out of prison for his other murders and preserve his stupid, doomed dreams.

Yeah, lets back the gently caress up for a minute. Cop, sure, Chris? Chris is not an innocent person. Chris got into the murder truck for a laugh. Chris knew exactly what they were going to do. Tough poo poo to Chris he broke when it didn't go as easy as the action movie in his head, he earned that bullet. Sad for his family, but also sad daddy was an rear end in a top hat that went out to get his kill on with the bros.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

TheBizzness posted:

I knew someone would take umbrage with that but to me he seems as naive in that scene as he did the entire time.

No he's aware. He is going to go to the police until Barry explodes, and then he tries to walk it back. He's twitchy as hell when they're waiting for the car and gets increasingly desparate.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

TheBizzness posted:

I mean that's a really weird takeaway from a fairly unambiguous turn in the scene but it's still the least alarming read on it that this thread produced today

Mulva posted:

Yeah, lets back the gently caress up for a minute. Cop, sure, Chris? Chris is not an innocent person. Chris got into the murder truck for a laugh. Chris knew exactly what they were going to do. Tough poo poo to Chris he broke when it didn't go as easy as the action movie in his head, he earned that bullet. Sad for his family, but also sad daddy was an rear end in a top hat that went out to get his kill on with the bros.

Chris is unarmed and dressed very casually and extremely emotionally unprepared for what is going on because all Taylor told him was that Barry needs help to scare some guys off. Also, he saves Barry's life.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jun 3, 2018

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Mulva posted:

Chris did not know what was about to happen.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Yeah I think they said he thought it was just an old fashioned street beatdown and the worst that will happen is some black eyes and swollen lips.

That said, gently caress Chris team Barry 💯

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

drunken officeparty posted:

That said, gently caress Chris team Barry 💯

Straight up.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Binged this series a while back. Great series and an especially great supporting cast.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Mulva posted:

But who was feeding the rats to the walkers?

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

drunken officeparty posted:

Just finished this. The flamboyent Chechen was so great.

Standout scene for me though is when Barry gets mad at the class when they are talking about murderers. I can totally see that actually happening to a marine who saw action.

In my experience that would be a more likely reaction from someone who served but never saw any real action. I did love the quick 180 into the sincere, but tone-deaf "thank you for your service" talk from the class and Gene and the later apology where the one dude said the encounter inspired him to "read about WW2." Brilliant. That part they got right. It contrasted nicely with the fact that the show as a whole wasn't afraid to show the members of the military in a less than flattering light. I think somewhere there is an appropriate space between the welcome home Vietnam veterans got and what we have now where anything that shows the military in less than worshipful terms arouses anger. I like that the show wasn't afraid to explore that place.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The part where everyone started blowing him because he was in the military was hilarious to me because I never know what I'm supposed to do when people start gushing about thanking me for my service when they find out I was in the air force. To the point that I don't tell anyone I was in the military unless the other person was also in the military.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

The part where everyone started blowing him because he was in the military was hilarious to me because I never know what I'm supposed to do when people start gushing about thanking me for my service when they find out I was in the air force. To the point that I don't tell anyone I was in the military unless the other person was also in the military.

Thank you for your service :patriot:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

In my experience that would be a more likely reaction from someone who served but never saw any real action. I did love the quick 180 into the sincere, but tone-deaf "thank you for your service" talk from the class and Gene and the later apology where the one dude said the encounter inspired him to "read about WW2." Brilliant.

That scene's gold.

"I did an online test to see if we were living in a bubble, and it turns out, we were!"

(I love that she's so absolutely oblivious that this ends up being the second time she's informed people of this.)

Peeches
May 25, 2018

The Ninth Layer posted:

I've been viewing Barry as a Dexter-style sociopath, it's not that he's naive or inexperienced about relationships (although that's probably the case too), rather he just doesn't understand them at all and is just trying to imitate (or act!!) what he thinks is normal behavior.

I saw a lot of Dexter in Barry. Especially the last episode, with the detective on the dock- almost mirroring Doakes confrontation exactly.

I love their decision to keep this show at a light 30 minutes, it would have been a much different show at one hour. I'm glad this show is getting a second season.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

The interactions involving Barry's service were great. His reaction during the class scene when they thanked him for his service was spot on. I've had that reaction so many times. I was also wounded so people tend to gush over me even more, usually to the point where it gets creepy. That was a big reason why I really liked this show. It captured the interactions between former military and civilians perfectly. It was also refreshing to see a show that doesn't show all vets as gung-ho assholes like Terry. Barry is a quiet guy, Chris is the usual guy who never left base, and guys like Terry do exist but in smaller numbers. They are people that also happen to be vets.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!
This is a good show. Kill people. gently caress yeah.... call me back.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

TheBizzness posted:

Good stuff.

No. He knew what was going to happen after Barry yelled "WHY DID YOU SAY THAT" and then when dead silent looking straight forward stonefaced. That's why Chris started saying that he wouldn't say anything and that he knows Barry is a good guy. He got extremely nervous extremely quick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Ah thanks I missed it when 3 people told me that 3 weeks ago.

• Locked thread