Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Dehumanize yourself and face to bloodshed
This poll is closed.
Dehumanize yourself and face to bloodshed 9 12.68%
Dehumanize yourself and face to bloodshed 10 14.08%
Dehumanize yourself and face to bloodshed 9 12.68%
Dehumanize yourself and face to bloodshed 10 14.08%
gently caress Duke 33 46.48%
Total: 37 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

elentar posted:

At least half of northern New Jersey though

Nope, every college gets lots of NJ students, we hate Duke too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
In less than a week, two former UCLA players (Tyler Honeycutt, Billy Knight) have committed suicide. What the gently caress, UCLA

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
Purdue's longtime (since '82) play by play announcer, Larry Clisby announced he has Stage 4 lung cancer that has also moved into his brain. Medicare doesn't cover everything so he's got a GoFundMe up and Painter met the $10,000 goal by himself.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

PotatoJudge posted:

Purdue's longtime (since '82) play by play announcer, Larry Clisby announced he has Stage 4 lung cancer that has also moved into his brain. Medicare doesn't cover everything so he's got a GoFundMe up and Painter met the $10,000 goal by himself.

So here's my question, shouldn't the school provide insurance for him or something?

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

PotatoJudge posted:

Reading this sentence and it making sense makes me very sad.

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George

iospace posted:

So here's my question, shouldn't the school provide insurance for him or something?

I'm pretty sure that technically he's an employee of Learfield Sports, but yes, ideally insurance should cover everything. But this is hell world so who knows.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
SDSU opens the Maui invitational with Duke.

Well, so much for that

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Just an alert that, if you follow progressive twitter and like throw-back college basketball players, Rex Chapman (@rex_rexchapman) is now a must follow.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Don't see this ever getting experimented with int he NCAA outside of maybe an early-season tournament or two, but people are actually trying out the Elam Ending in competitive play now: at the last media timeout, the game clock turns off and a target score is set 7 points above whoever's leading; first to that number wins.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

elentar posted:

Don't see this ever getting experimented with int he NCAA outside of maybe an early-season tournament or two, but people are actually trying out the Elam Ending in competitive play now: at the last media timeout, the game clock turns off and a target score is set 7 points above whoever's leading; first to that number wins.

I can see that speeding up the end of the games. Assuming each team gets 8 points (4x 2 pointers), and take all 30 seconds to shoot, 8 shots would be 4 minutes.

But it'll never be implemented because ~reasons~ (and I'm honestly on the fence too about it)

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Seems really arbitrary at first read.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

As was pointed out in the Yahoo article, coaches have already adjusted their fouling strategy. One team was was three points away from the target score, so the other fouled them to (hopefully) limit them to two free throws and get the ball back.

Way back in the day, official girls rules were altered a similar situation, beyond three-on-three/six-on-six. Some years, the clock ran through free throws, unless it was the last two minutes or so. A few seasons saw double overtime go to a sudden death-type system: the first team to score two consecutive points won. One-and-one free throws didn't exist then for boys or girls, so the games tended to end on a basket.

The problem with intentional fouling and free throws isn't that it takes too long, it's that coaches don't always know when to give up the ghost and let it go. You're down eight points with 15 seconds left. Stop fouling.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

vikingstrike posted:

Seems really arbitrary at first read.

Literally everything about sports is arbitrary. The length of each quarter, size of the court, it's all arbitrary. Would your opinion change if it was 5 or 10 points added? 7 points at least guarantees requiring 3 possessions out of the higher scoring team. I imagine teams will change their fouling strategy, but it would still cut way down on the fouling since you're trying to prevent scoring now and not stop the clock.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
I just think it's weird, sorry. I like two evenly timed halves even with the awkward ending. That said, even if they did change it, I wouldn't really care and would still watch

OneTruePecos
Oct 24, 2010

RC and Moon Pie posted:

The problem with intentional fouling and free throws isn't that it takes too long, it's that coaches don't always know when to give up the ghost and let it go. You're down eight points with 15 seconds left. Stop fouling.

On the other hand, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oO445W4mtZI

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/status/1027225847051288576

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

They can only get agents if they are considered 'elite' by USA basketball. A designation that certain college coaches have influence on.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Forgot Georgia hired Tom Crean

Lol

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Thoguh posted:

They can only get agents if they are considered 'elite' by USA basketball. A designation that certain college coaches have influence on.

Yup, and now it's turning out that the ability to return is only for combine participants.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Congrats to anyone who commits to Duke

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I'm sure the NCAA Agent Approval Committee will have just as much controversy-free success as their Clearinghouse does.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

At least what ESPN is reporting, none of this may go into affect for many years, and it looks like USA Basketball wasn't even on board with the changes, and they want the NBA to put the Elite list together.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/24324859/ncaa-new-proposed-rules-blindside-nba-usa-basketball-officials

quote:

USA Basketball doesn't have the infrastructure or interest in accepting the role of evaluating the nation's top prospects for a yet-to-be-determined number of players who will annually be allowed to sign with agents at the end of their junior years, sources told ESPN.

USA Basketball prefers that the NBA make those decisions, sources said. The NBA already oversees the invitation process to the Chicago pre-draft combine and Portsmouth Invitational camps every spring. The NBA will be immersed in scouting the high school ranks once those players have an earlier target date of entering the draft, and if the NCAA wants to allow a select number of high school players the opportunity to sign with agents, the belief is that NBA front offices would be most informed to cull a list.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Kansas will play Marquette and Tennessee will play Louisville in the first round of the Preseason NIT tournament.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I look forward to all four WI teams floundering and just missing the NCAA in the case of Madison and Marquette.

And then the D-III schools beating each other up and not winning the championship there.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
A Wake Forest assistant apparently killed someone in Queens:

https://nypost.com/2018/08/09/wake-forest-basketball-coach-charged-in-deadly-queens-attack-on-tourist/

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

We're spread, we're spread, we're spreading our.... wings! :v:
Since most of you aren't MWC or non Power 5 fans, do you think Nevada deserves the preseason hype they have been getting? Looking like they will be a preseason 7-10 squad when the first polls come out.

I've been posting on SAS since 2003, ironically the last time Nevada made the Sweet 16. I can't wait for this season and fully expect a 2-3 seed for the NCAA Tournament.

Here are the preseason odds to win the 2019 NCAA Tournament from WilliamHill:

Duke 5/1
Kentucy 6/1
Kansas 9/1
Gonzaga 9/1
North Carolina 10/1
Nevada 10/1

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Jordan Brown is a great prospect and you have a mostly veteran squad behind him who did decent last year, seems like a decent preseason bet. College basketball is kind of hard because even like the first month of play is almost worthless from a predictive standpoint.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
I wish my team would fall rear end backwards into a great coach again

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
For what it's worth Eric Musseleman is one of the most overrated NBA coach ever, his teams usually over-achieve his first year, then fall apart the next year and at least pro players end up hating the guy and it sure is funny that no one will give him another pro job despite success on lower levels since his last stint. So it could also blow up pretty hard next year but hey sometimes guys like that end up fitting well in college.

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

Rick posted:

For what it's worth Eric Musseleman is one of the most overrated NBA coach ever, his teams usually over-achieve his first year, then fall apart the next year and at least pro players end up hating the guy and it sure is funny that no one will give him another pro job despite success on lower levels since his last stint. So it could also blow up pretty hard next year but hey sometimes guys like that end up fitting well in college.

I don't disagree with you that Muss was an overrated NBA coach. But he was an assistant in college for a few years before taking over at Nevada. He's only been a college head coach for 3 full years. This will be his 4th at Nevada.

Most people in Reno feel that this will probably be Muss's last year. If Nevada lives up to the hype and gets a #1 ranking or makes a Final Four no way the community will be able to raise enough money to keep him.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Friendly reminder:

gently caress Duke

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

https://twitter.com/MattNorlander/status/1032281704894029825

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Capping margin of victory is a good move. Style points do matter in college rankings when it's all opinion based for the most part. Can't say much about the rest though.

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

iospace posted:

Capping margin of victory is a good move. Style points do matter in college rankings when it's all opinion based for the most part. Can't say much about the rest though.

I think this actually helps out mid-majors more than the old model, which I'm all for.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Lessail posted:

I wish my team would fall rear end backwards into a great coach again

Same

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

Just do what Nevada did, hire an assistant who is energetic and likes transfers. Instant fix.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I completely missed Cullen Vanleer medically retired earlier this week for Mizzou.

:rip: you poor man who was sold as a huge scoring threat from three by Kim Anderson. Which immediately made you a scapegoat because you quite obviously couldn't hit water from a boat. Like, if Kim just said you could defend some and contribute a little on offense now and then the fans would have been fine with you.

My god I hate Kim Anderson. Not because of this, but the CVL experience is a pretty good microcosm of what was sold vs the reality.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Sep 15, 2018

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Every time you post in here I'm scared to click it because I think the FBI has finally dropped the hammer on KU.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Tennessee picked up a commit from 5* combo guard Josiah James. Picked UT over Duke, Clemson and Michigan State

:woop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Probably the highest rated recruit ever for the Vols. Big get for Ricky Barnes.

• Locked thread