Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Union savvy goons, my work has just told us in writing that we aren't allowed to use our phones on our breaks. That's a bunch of poo poo right?

They are weirdo paid non breaks though, 20 minutes where you still have to serve customers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Zenithe posted:

Union savvy goons, my work has just told us in writing that we aren't allowed to use our phones on our breaks. That's a bunch of poo poo right?

They are weirdo paid non breaks though, 20 minutes where you still have to serve customers.

My immediate instinct is that they can't make you work on a non-paid break. I'd also forward the phone bit to the relevant union.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Starshark posted:

My immediate instinct is that they can't make you work on a non-paid break. I'd also forward the phone bit to the relevant union.

Sorry, should have hyphenated, I meant paid non-break. Also the relevant union, or at least the one who did our agreement, is the SDA....

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Zenithe posted:

Sorry, should have hyphenated, I meant paid non-break. Also the relevant union, or at least the one who did our agreement, is the SDA....

Sems like an ideal time to dump the SDA and join RAFFWU

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.
I'm curious what the rationale for that is.

Edit: Oh I misread.

It's not a loving break of you're expected to serve customers, though. Wtf.

Also, most people don't have watches these days, how do they expect people to check the time?

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

NTRabbit posted:

Sems like an ideal time to dump the SDA and join RAFFWU

a.k.a. any day ending in y.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
They're called "crib breaks" or something stupid.

It's where the few seconds of peace in between customers count as your 'break' so the company doesn't actually have to provide staff overlap or any other means to ensure you actually have a "break" in anything other than name.

EDIT: According to SDA's own site:

quote:

Employers may not:

deny employees their breaks because there are not enough staff;
require an employee to work through their break;
require an employee who has gone off on their break to come back to work; or
reduce the length of an employee’s break to a period less than provided for in the Enterprise Agreement or Award.

However, the SDA also acknowledges that your specific award can completely ignore all of that if, for example, you union is a bunch of loving hacks more interested in political manoeuvring and homophobia than representing the needs of their members.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Apr 3, 2018

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Yeah, EBA calls it a crib break. Instead of an unpaid break, you get a paid 20 minute break where you "must maintain customer service" i.e. not a break. And now we apparently can't check our phones during it.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

Gorilla Salad posted:

It's where the few seconds of peace in between customers count as your 'break' so the company doesn't actually have to provide staff overlap so that you can sit down for a few minutes without having to look at someone.

However, the SDA also acknowledges that your specific award can completely ignore all of that if, for example, you union is a bunch of loving hacks more interested in political manoeuvring and homophobia than representing the needs of their members.

That.... Does not sound legal...

Oh. SDA. Right.

Check the award.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Zenithe posted:

Yeah, EBA calls it a crib break. Instead of an unpaid break, you get a paid 20 minute break where you "must maintain customer service" i.e. not a break. And now we apparently can't check our phones during it.

Go to the toilet, bring your phone with you.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Gorilla Salad posted:

It's where the few seconds of peace in between customers count as your 'break' so the company doesn't actually have to provide staff overlap or any other means to ensure you actually have a "break" in anything other than name.

Hahahahah holy poo poo. that's terrible.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Zenithe posted:

"Staff checking their phones during their crib breaks makes the company look bad. Now, let's see, what can we do... We could.... Provide them with a proper break. Wait nah that costs money, gently caress it, ban phones".

What industry is this?

I worked a job where the pens kept going missing and they implemented a policy of having to bring or being forced to buy your own pen. For a while I considered bringing in a novelty penis pen and making jokes about "pen is envy" (I was sooooo original at 17, not). The SDA were loving useless about it, too. My coworker who was getting her master's in HR wrote a strongly worded letter about forcing business costs onto employees and the policy was promptly scrapped.

It seems to me most jobs that fall under the SDA as the union have managers who are either bozos or power tripping lizardpeople.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

It's a servo.

Gorilla Salad posted:

Go to the toilet, bring your phone with you.

Just lol if you think I get toilet breaks (I do, but have to time them carefully)

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I put myself through uni working lovely retail jobs - including at a bunch of different servos. I see absolutely nothing has changed in the quarter of a century since then.

I think I got taking a poo poo down to just over a minute because shutting the store made the owner freak when he watched the night shift tapes the next day.

In those days they even tried to take drive offs out of your wages. I'd say those days are gone, but given what's come out of 7/11s in the past few years, I doubt it.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Jonah Galtberg posted:

ANIDAV. WHEN YOU MAKE A POST SAYING SOMETHING LIKE THIS YOU LINK

THAT

poo poo.

Sorry I went to bed

https://www.theguardian.com/technol...erberg-tim-cook

There was a more extensive article by Fairfax before Facebook addressed the leak as a "bug involving drafts"

But using any Google search for articles on Facebook is useless given it just brings up Facebook itself lol.

But basically the smartphone app automatically uploads what it considers "drafts" to Facebook. Photos, videoes, mic recordings.

That's what I read yesterday on Brisbane Times but the article has since died since Facebook called it a "bug" :tinfoil:

What's the point of writing an article showing things if the editor will later trash your article to plug Facebook's PR line of attack.

The article I read is gone but this one on the guardian is mostly in tact.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Basically the "bug" let the app flag media it considered a "draft" that hasn't been given to Facebook yet and goes ahead and saves it anyway.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Zenithe posted:

It's a servo.

Have we had this conversation before about your crib breaks? They're really dumb and bad but I can't see them getting away with banning personal phone calls and usage on your break. Is this policy or a "negotiated" outcome?

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

JBP posted:

Have we had this conversation before about your crib breaks? They're really dumb and bad but I can't see them getting away with banning personal phone calls and usage on your break. Is this policy or a "negotiated" outcome?

As far as I can see from the two relevant areas of the EBA, the 'break' is a legit part of the agreement, and phones not being used is also part of the agreement, but it does not specify about breaks.

I'd link to the agreement but SDA are such hacks the link isn't working right now.

e. found it

quote:

In lieu of providing meal and rest breaks as defined above in sub-clause 10.5.2
above, the Company may provide team members, who are rostered to work
continuously for more than five (5) hours, with a paid twenty (20) minute crib break,
during which time customer service must be maintained. Such break(s) shall be
counted as time worked.
Where there are two or more team members working at the site (including the Site
Manager or Assistant Site Manager), a team member may take their crib break
away from the counter. The team member may be asked to assist with maintaining
customer service where there is an unforseen safety or security need at the site or
where there is a large influx of customers.

quote:

Team members may not use mobile telephones in the workplace without the
express approval of the Company

Zenithe fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Apr 3, 2018

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Oh to be a casual worker in this fine country, represented by an EBA hard fought and won by their local unioahahahhahahahahaah

Pinball Jizzard
Jun 23, 2010

Zenithe posted:

As far as I can see from the two relevant areas of the EBA, the 'break' is a legit part of the agreement, and phones not being used is also part of the agreement, but it does not specify about breaks.

I'd link to the agreement but SDA are such hacks the link isn't working right now.

e. found it

Critical to the argument is the “crib breaks count as time worked” portion of the excerpt. Unless that changes the company are following the rules.

You could argue that if you’re not customer facing (in situations with two people in store) that it’s unreasonable to impose the rule, but first you’d need to see if they enforced it whilst you weren’t in front of customers. Comments above suggest it’s about looking unprofessional as opposed to just not wanting you to use your phone during work hours.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Pinball Jizzard posted:

Critical to the argument is the “crib breaks count as time worked” portion of the excerpt. Unless that changes the company are following the rules.
If that's the case, maybe the "rules" are stupid and wrong?

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

If you have to choose between arguing with your boss to graciously allow you to use your phone while you're working during breaks, and finding a new job, you should find a new job.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

bell jar posted:

If you have to choose between arguing with your boss to graciously allow you to use your phone while you're working during breaks, and finding a new job, you should find a new job.

I’m not here through choice lol.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

bell jar posted:

Thanks for the hot tip, Joe Hockey.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Anidav posted:

Sorry I went to bed

https://www.theguardian.com/technol...erberg-tim-cook

There was a more extensive article by Fairfax before Facebook addressed the leak as a "bug involving drafts"

But using any Google search for articles on Facebook is useless given it just brings up Facebook itself lol.

But basically the smartphone app automatically uploads what it considers "drafts" to Facebook. Photos, videoes, mic recordings.

That's what I read yesterday on Brisbane Times but the article has since died since Facebook called it a "bug" :tinfoil:

What's the point of writing an article showing things if the editor will later trash your article to plug Facebook's PR line of attack.

The article I read is gone but this one on the guardian is mostly in tact.

Hey this says draft videos were kept by the FB branded desktop camera and not mobiles, wtf anidav

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-04-03/peter-dutton-escalates-row-with-south-africa/9615496

quote:

Immigration Minister Peter Dutton has escalated a diplomatic row with South Africa by suggesting its Foreign Minister may have deliberately misrepresented Australia's stance on white farmers in the nation.

Last month, Mr Dutton stirred anger in Pretoria when he said white farmers were being targeted in South Africa, and indicated the Federal Government might offer refugee visas to those facing the threat of violence and persecution.

Yesterday, the South African Government issued a statement declaring Foreign Minister Julie Bishop had written to her counterpart Lindiwe Sisulu to withdraw Mr Dutton's comments.

But Ms Bishop said the letter simply reiterated Australia's humanitarian visa program was non-discriminatory, and Mr Dutton insisted Ms Bishop had not contradicted any of his statements.

"It restates our position … I'm not sure how it can be interpreted the way that the South African Minister has interpreted it," Mr Dutton told Sky News.

He also suggested Lindiwe Sisulu might have made the statement to placate a domestic political audience.

"I'm not sure what domestic issues are at play in terms of the politics in South Africa that would bring this comment out, but it's not based on any factual statement by anyone in the Australian Government," Mr Dutton said.

Dutton 'not speaking on behalf of Government'

South Africa Department of International Relations and Cooperation spokesman Ndivhuwo Mabaya maintained Australia had sent clear signals Mr Dutton was not speaking on behalf of the Australian Government.

"The Minister of Foreign Affairs has written to us to say [Australia's] immigration policy is based on [Australia's] immigration policy — not on what a member of Cabinet has said," Mr Mabaya told ABC News.

"The letter says our relationship is very strong, and that South Africa knows our immigration policy, and that anything else that is not our immigration policy must not be taken into consideration.

"And we are very happy with that."

Mr Mabaya said Australia's High Commissioner to South Africa, Adam McCarthy, had also indicated Mr Dutton's comments did not represent Australia's position on immigration, and "therefore we should not take them [seriously]".

The debate over violence against farmers in South Africa is racially charged and hugely sensitive. White farmers own the bulk of privately held-farms, and the South African Government has declared that it plans to seize land and redistribute it.
Dutton 'wants to help people in need'

Mr Dutton said his department was now examining some "pretty explicit" cases of farmers who had borne the brunt of violent crime.

"You look at the detail of some of the cases that have already been sent in, it's unquestionably the case that there are some very difficult circumstances," he said.

"People have been murdered, people have been assaulted on their own properties. That's been well documented.

"I want to make sure we can help those people who are in need."

"I believe we can look at some of those cases, and determine whether or not those cases meet our criteria, and if so, we'd offer places to people in that circumstance."

Mr Mabaya conceded some white farmers had faced violent crime. But he denied they were targeted by criminals because of their race, or that they were facing political persecution.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Zenithe posted:

I’m not here through choice lol.

Yeah you are

CrazyTolradi posted:

Thanks for the hot tip, Joe Hockey.

Guess I just have to suffer in this lovely job! Nothing else I can do! Gonna keep my employer making money by turning up reliably and withstanding horrible rules for no reason!

Your labour is an asset and depriving your employer of it when its inconvenient for them is the only tool you have to fight them.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

bell jar posted:

Guess I just have to suffer in this lovely job! Nothing else I can do! Gonna keep my employer making money by turning up reliably and withstanding horrible rules for no reason!

Your labour is an asset and depriving your employer of it when its inconvenient for them is the only tool you have to fight them.

I think the point is that just finding a new job isn't quite as simple as you're implying

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

The Before Times posted:

I think the point is that just finding a new job isn't quite as simple as you're implying

the only thing simple here is bell jar lol

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

The Before Times posted:

Who said anything about finding a new job, I'm simply advocating leaving this one, hth

e: wait i did, im a moron, wheres my coffee

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

bell jar posted:

Who said anything about finding a new job, I'm simply advocating leaving this one, hth

e: wait i did, im a moron, wheres my coffee

can't even read their own posts mistah spoikah

e: tbf I also need some more coffee, where's my mainline

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

bell jar posted:

Yeah you are

Lol telling a casual retail worker to just quit their job sure is great advice. Who cares about the costs of keeping a roof over your head or food on the table?

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
If you’re on a casual rate and your employer is exploiting and abusing your labour the only correct action is to continue to turn up and draw pay while turning all your efforts towards undermining their profitability until they lay you off and you can get the dole just FYI

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Hey this says draft videos were kept by the FB branded desktop camera and not mobiles, wtf anidav

"The undeleted videos were recorded via a feature that allowed Facebook users to make and post videos directly from their browser. This system functioned by streaming the videos to Facebook as they were being recorded."

People apparently use Facebook to create videos but not upload them. Only to create Avi's?

These articles keep changing aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

If you’re on a casual rate and your employer is exploiting and abusing your labour the only correct action is to continue to turn up and draw pay while turning all your efforts towards undermining their profitability until they lay you off and you can get the dole just FYI

This is what I was going for and failed miserably at, thanks for reading my brain. Also coffee good

CrazyTolradi posted:

Lol telling a casual retail worker to just quit their job sure is great advice. Who cares about the costs of keeping a roof over your head or food on the table?

look personal circumstances are irrelevant in the face of hardline anti employer rhetoric, just start a google

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

CrazyTolradi posted:

Who cares about the costs of keeping a roof over your head or food on the table?

Also unironically, this is how they keep you in their lovely trap. UBI for everyone, bring an end to lovely employer dependency

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

CrazyTolradi posted:

If it's a choice between being made to take paid non-break breaks without your phone or homelessness I know which one I would choose.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

CrazyTolradi posted:

When did you decide to become Mr Realworld

Pinball Jizzard
Jun 23, 2010

CrazyTolradi posted:

If that's the case, maybe the "rules" are stupid and wrong?

Given the circumstance, the rule isn’t excessive. I’d imagine most of us technically can’t check their phone when being paid either. The complexity here is that this is a period of time where the person can eat whilst being paid.

I know I’m verging into the whole “I hate the working class” that everyone assumes I believe. But as I said in the bit you didn’t quote, are the company going to enforce this when staff aren’t customer facing? If that’s the case then yes, the union should address it; otherwise I’d consider it an acceptable rule for a customer focussed business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Pinball Jizzard posted:

Given the circumstance, the rule isn’t excessive. I’d imagine most of us technically can’t check their phone when being paid either. The complexity here is that this is a period of time where the person can eat whilst being paid.

I know I’m verging into the whole “I hate the working class” that everyone assumes I believe. But as I said in the bit you didn’t quote, are the company going to enforce this when staff aren’t customer facing? If that’s the case then yes, the union should address it; otherwise I’d consider it an acceptable rule for a customer focussed business.
Then maybe don't force your employees to have to work on their "breaks"?

• Locked thread