Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Zenithe posted:

Union savvy goons, my work has just told us in writing that we aren't allowed to use our phones on our breaks. That's a bunch of poo poo right?

They are weirdo paid non breaks though, 20 minutes where you still have to serve customers.

is it explicitly phones? Grab a book or gameboy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
If the agreement wasn't dogshit you'd do what smaller businesses do and put a "back at XX:XX" sign on the window and have a proper break, it doesn't matter if you are front facing or whatever horseshit. It isn't your company, you are an employee and you get meal breaks in this country.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

The extremely good thing about casual workers is that if you conduct a guerrilla campaign against your employer they can just stop giving you shifts for no reason

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Pinball Jizzard posted:

Given the circumstance, the rule isn’t excessive. I’d imagine most of us technically can’t check their phone when being paid either.

buddy i work in the public service and approximately 1/3 of the time i bill the australian taxpayer for is spent on my phone

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

lmao that you can have a job, have a 'break' and still be expected to not only work but also not actually be able to do any of the things they give you the break for.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

tithin posted:

gently caress all going on this month, no one wanted to make a new thread

the sentient potato is apparently making waves and pissing people off but there's nothing new there, something something white south african farmers, something something being killed by subhumans (that no one else in the rest of the world apparently caught)

there was a local election the greens expected to romp home in and hosed up superbly

there's gently caress all going on this month, and gently caress all else happened last month that I remember

welcome to auspol april, it's 3 days late. enjoy.

I mean my state is hosting a big rear end sports thing and you ignored it as usual.

but also day one and whoop look a cyclo be looms up north.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

BBJoey posted:

buddy i work in the public service and approximately 1/3 of the time i bill the australian taxpayer for is spent on my phone

lol amateur

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
https://mobile.twitter.com/roqchams/status/981064999899557888

Presumably for the Herald

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
'use centrelink' lol

Pinball Jizzard
Jun 23, 2010

BBJoey posted:

That’s why I said technically.

Laserface posted:

lmao that you can have a job, have a 'break' and still be expected to not only work but also not actually be able to do any of the things they give you the break for.

There are two types of breaks described by the FWO. First is a rest break (a crib break falls in this category), these are short periods of time during work hours where you are allowed to rest. In this case, you can eat but the break is only allowable when the servo is quiet.

Everyone else in the thread is referring to a “meal break” which is uninterrupted (and normally unpaid).

They have clearly stated in the EBA that they are getting a paid “crib break” and therefore are still counted as working. It’s completely hosed, but the company are working in-line with the EBA and FWO rules.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Pinball Jizzard posted:

They have clearly stated in the EBA that they are getting a paid “crib break” and therefore are still counted as working. It’s completely hosed, but the company are working in-line with the EBA and FWO rules.

I don't think anyone is misunderstanding this.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Pinball Jizzard posted:

It’s completely hosed, but the company are working in-line with the EBA and FWO rules.

It's time to change the rules.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

can a poor who uses welfare tell me how it works, i cant find anyone in my office who makes less than $150k jacking off behind a paywall

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
The paywall is strong. All hail paywall. *cuts wrist* *sacrifices a Fairfax employee*

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Anidav posted:

The paywall is strong. All hail paywall. *cuts wrist* *sacrifices a Fairfax employee*

Are the News Corpse/Fairfax paywalls still broken as poo poo that you can read an article in incognito mode?

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

bell jar posted:

can a poor who uses welfare tell me how it works, i cant find anyone in my office who makes less than $150k jacking off behind a paywall

Roqayah Chamseddine's a commie freelancer, taking the good and rare step of actually talking to welfare recipients before writing about them

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

I probably should have specified Sydney Morning Herald rather than Herald Sun, which I had forgot existed

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

You Am I posted:

Are the News Corpse/Fairfax paywalls still broken as poo poo that you can read an article in incognito mode?

I know The Age is still defeated by incognito mode

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

You Am I posted:

my favourite method is googling the headline

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Twitter politics is getting seriously bad, tl;dr Twitter's reporting mechanism has been weaponized by trolls and political operators. This one is a pathological ALP supporter with a mission to wipe Greens off Twitter apparently.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

The Before Times posted:

my favourite method is googling the headline

Afaik, a condition for getting indexed as a news source by google is that you can't restrict access to the article via google news.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hit escape while the page is almost done loading. vOv

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Tokamak posted:

Afaik, a condition for getting indexed as a news source by google is that you can't restrict access to the article via google news.

Twitter works for the same reason, sometimes it's quicker to find there.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

The Peccadillo posted:

I probably should have specified Sydney Morning Herald rather than Herald Sun, which I had forgot existed

while fairfax is still poo poo, it probably deserves less vitriol than a news ltd publication, thanks for the clarification

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Tokamak posted:

This is good to know.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

ABC on Police Brutality posted:

It's a tough job, Minister says
At a media conference to mark the start of new laws to protect police from deliberate car attacks, Police Minister Lisa Neville said it was important to remember it was a dangerous job.

"Our police officers not only put their lives on the line but are actually assaulted, attacked, sworn at, spat on every single day, she said.

"It's not our role to second guess how our officers operate when they are protecting the community."

Really, it's not the elected representative of the community's job to tell police how to behave in the loving community. Who loving exactly does that job fall to then?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

ewe2 posted:

Twitter politics is getting seriously bad, tl;dr Twitter's reporting mechanism has been weaponized by trolls and political operators. This one is a pathological ALP supporter with a mission to wipe Greens off Twitter apparently.

I legitimately couldn't read this. It was not a good article.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Someone who has a hosed up enough mind to say "It's not our role to second guess how our officers operate when they are protecting the community" probably shouldn't have a role where their only job is to second guess how our officers operate when they are protecting the community

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

bell jar posted:

while fairfax is still poo poo, it probably deserves less vitriol than a news ltd publication, thanks for the clarification

True. Chamseddine is genuinely a great and justice oriented writer, though, and SMH regularly publishing a poverty oriented Arab Marxist Texan is dope as gently caress

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

The Peccadillo posted:

Someone who has a hosed up enough mind to say "It's not our role to second guess how our officers operate when they are protecting the community" probably shouldn't have a role where their only job is to second guess how our officers operate when they are protecting the community

She must have been a negotiator for the SDA.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

hooman posted:

She must have been a negotiator for the SDA.

Nah she's a social worker and lifetime politician like whats her name from Batman that lost. She holds Bellarine, an electorate that requires 100% dedication to Duttonism.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

tithin posted:

I legitimately couldn't read this. It was not a good article.

:same: You really needed to be in the Twitter bubble to follow some of that.

I got the point that Left_Of_Labor claims to have a direct line to Twitter support and is using it to get people suspended for spurious reasons but then the article just... kept... going... and read more like a "gently caress you twitter why u ban me" after a while.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

MysticalMachineGun posted:

:same: You really needed to be in the Twitter bubble to follow some of that.

I got the point that Left_Of_Labor claims to have a direct line to Twitter support and is using it to get people suspended for spurious reasons but then the article just... kept... going... and read more like a "gently caress you twitter why u ban me" after a while.

I couldn't make head nor tail of the article's title and closed the window.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

quote:

An Australian Tax Office whistleblower has his home raided after speaking with reporters in a major joint Four Corners and Fairfax investigation into alleged abuse of power by the ATO.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Synthbuttrange posted:

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Michaelia Cash strikes again!

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Synthbuttrange posted:

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Snitches get stitches

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

"I'm an archivist. I'm archiving."
:rip: Birdstrike

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ATO Mafia with Michelle Cash as confirmed town.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-04-03/matthew-guy-opposition-leader-unapologetic-good-friday-vote/9614300?smid=Page:%20ABC%20Melbourne-Facebook_Organic&WT.tsrc=Facebook_Organic&sf186085718=1 posted:

Victorian Opposition Leader Matthew Guy is unrepentant about his party's shock Good Friday tactic to defeat the Government's fire services review, saying the tactic was "absolutely justified" and he would do the same thing again tomorrow.

In a sensational break from parliamentary convention, two Liberal MPs asked to be excused from Victoria's Upper House for religious reasons on Good Friday, only to re-emerge for the vote.

Under pair arrangements, two Government MPs left so that the Coalition would not be disadvantaged by numbers in the Upper House.

But when Liberal MPs Bernie Finn and Craig Ondarchie unexpectedly reappeared, it was the Government that came up short, and its controversial fire services bill was defeated.

Opposition Leader Matthew Guy said it was his call for all MPs to return to the chamber.

"It was my decision that all members should be back, pairing or no pairing. I had made it clear that I expected all of them to be back," Mr Guy said.

"I believe the means were justified given the way the Government was treating the Parliament and taking advantage of a member not there.

"The means we were absolutely justified and I stand by it and would do the same tomorrow."

Australian Conservatives MP Rachel Carling-Jenkins was off sick and not in Parliament on Thursday and Friday of last week, giving the Government the advantage of numbers to pass its controversial bill to restructure the Country Fire Authority (CFA).

Dr Carling-Jenkins has been an opponent of the bill, and Mr Guy said the Government used her illness to try to ram through the CFA changes.

Dr Carling-Jenkins told Fairfax Media she would have loved a pair, but accepted that single crossbenchers were not paired.

She said she could not help the timing of her illness.

The bill had been listed for debate weeks in advance.

Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews condemned the Opposition Leader for ordering his MPs to renege on the agreement.

"He has fessed up to the fact, bragged about it in fact, that he directed people to behave in this way," Mr Andrews said.

"I'll leave him to explain how it is that he thinks it's OK to lie about praying, to lie about going to church, to lie about the fact that you're gripped by your faith and belief only, to then turn up and vote.

"You cannot trust these people."
The pair arrangement is not written in the rules of Parliament, but is a long-standing arrangement to prevent political parties being disadvantaged by illness or an absence for another reason.

Mr Guy said pairs were arranged in writing in the Lower House and the Upper House should do the same.

But he would not say if he would have respected Friday's arrangement if the pairs agreement had been written down and signed.
Rachel Carling-Jenkins speaks in State Parliament
Photo: The Opposition said the Government took advantage of Dr Carling-Jenkins' illness. (ABC News)

Labor frontbencher Jacinta Allan said there would have to be conversations about how pairing would work in future.

"What may or may not happen in the Legislative Assembly largely depends on whether we can trust Matthew Guy with his word, and he admitted that you can't take Matthew Guy at his word," she said.

Upper House Greens MP Sue Pennicuik said the new precedent set by the Liberals on Good Friday would have ramifications for everyone in Parliament.

"Once that breach of trust has occurred it's very difficult for people not to be wary that it may happen again," she said.

"The desirable thing is to get back to a situation where people can trust each other, but that's going to be difficult after this very deceitful breach of faith."

"Clearly the parties don't always agree on the bills or the matters before them but we do agree on a certain way of operating which, when you say I undertake to do this, people take you at your word. And that's what's been lost here."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

That's an extraordinarily dumb decision to be the fall guy on that strategy.

• Locked thread