Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Good way to squander political advantage on the Labor stealing scandal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Matt Guy is real weird

Tasmantor
Aug 13, 2007
Horrid abomination
I know there's some idiot out there who sees that as a savvy political move and votes for them because of it. Like you know their a low down dirty dog scrunt and think, yeah that's who I want in charge!

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Tasmantor posted:

I know there's some idiot out there who sees that as a savvy political move and votes for them because of it. Like you know their a low down dirty dog scrunt and think, yeah that's who I want in charge!

If this were an honest to god person, I would direct them to the Australian Labor Party, the home of big plays.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

JBP posted:

If this were an honest to god person, I would direct them to the Australian Labor Party, the home of big plays.

Big plays. Not "pants-shittingly moronic always worse, always dumber" plays. The Libs have gained literally zero from this and lost a lot. Labor will never give them another pairing in this Parliament, they're far enough out from an election that they haven't done anything that'll change the course of the election, but close enough that they're gonna regret it, and it's a Bill that the public doesn't give a poo poo about.

I'm hearing non-political people say "well if you can't trust them to uphold basic Parliament convention, how can you trust them to run Victoria?" Religious people are pretty hosed off too, and that's a not-insignificant demographic for them.

I mean if you want a bigger example of how badly they've hosed themselves with this, the media is now talking more about this than Labor rorts rah rah.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Labor has always been the more villainous political player because they need tricks to win against three word slogans and they've become so good at it they forgot what the party was about. They're like a horror movie monster.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Peter Beattie snubbed Turnbull for a handshake at the com games opening ceremony lmao

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

Peter Beattie snubbed Turnbull for a handshake at the com games opening ceremony lmao

After making such a big deal about how they didn't want current politicians involved he probably wanted to play it safe.

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

https://twitter.com/COMPLETEANAR/status/981468121738498048

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
spill

spill

spilll

https://twitter.com/7NewsSydney/status/981450894293180416

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

:getin:

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Tone Toni Toney

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

The Peccadillo posted:

Tony!, Toni!, Tone!, Tonee?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Strong and stable
Adults back in charge
Debt and deficit disaster

It's like they wrote their own irony future.

EDIT: "We really need to stop using this monkey paw"

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

[tony voice] aaaah ... I'm the Prime Minister again and uh, suck me off, thank you

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

The Peccadillo posted:

[tony voice] aaaah ... I'm the Prime Minister again and uh, suck me off, thank you

*silence and nodding*

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

LOL

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

A wise Guy, eh...

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

NTRabbit posted:

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD

I love knives nights very much

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Why did this idiot let Dutton and other poo poo stains get airtime. Iron fist is the only way to run the liberals. Smdh

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

hooman posted:

*silence and nodding*

*greasy wink*

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

JBP posted:

Why did this idiot let Dutton and other poo poo stains get airtime. Iron fist is the only way to run the liberals. Smdh

This is the worst Iron Fist yet.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Lid posted:

This is the worst Iron Fist yet.

No, it's still the Netflix one.

It was offensively bad and stupid.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Gorilla Salad posted:

No, it's still the Netflix one.

It was offensively bad and stupid.

it's a bastardised line from The Defenders

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrR9_KyvpR0

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Rest behind paywall buuuuut....

Greens’ embrace of idiot fringe economics ruins years of credibility

Subsidised mortgages and universal basic income show that the Greens have lost the plot on economic issues, Bernard Keane and Glenn Dyer write.
Bernard Keane and Glenn Dyer

Politics editor / Crikey business and media commentator

Following their Batman debacle, the Greens appear determined to abandon their remaining economic credibility by embracing nonsensical housing and welfare policies: today at the National Press Club, leader Richard Di Natale will announce new policies on the Reserve Bank offering discounted housing mortgages and a universal basic income.

Both policies are the kind of magic pudding stuff that the Greens abandoned years ago in favour of more rational economic policies, including some eventually embraced by the major parties.

Tasmantor
Aug 13, 2007
Horrid abomination
Hasn't every UBI trial/test proven successful? Magic pudding I tells ya!

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
"Subsidising mortgages is crazy! Those wacky Greens..."

*continues negative gearing forever*

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
What if we made housing free

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
The whole Crikey thing:

quote:

Following their Batman debacle, the Greens appear determined to abandon their remaining economic credibility by embracing nonsensical housing and welfare policies: today at the National Press Club, leader Richard Di Natale will announce new policies on the Reserve Bank offering discounted housing mortgages and a universal basic income.

Both policies are the kind of magic pudding stuff that the Greens abandoned years ago in favour of more rational economic policies, including some eventually embraced by the major parties.

The RBA policy conflates two distinct issues: the lack of competition in banking, and housing affordability. The idea of a new “people’s bank” to disrupt the banking oligopoly, has merit. An ideologically diverse group of “six economists” (including Nicholas Gruen) featured an “Aussiebank” idea in their call for financial reform nearly a decade ago. But the Greens have shoehorned it into housing finance, and propose that the Reserve Bank play that role and offer discounted mortgages for 60% of the price of a property purchased by first home buyers.

Like other demand-side subsidies, such as the notorious first home buyer grants of recent decades, providing taxpayer-funded discounted mortgages will pump more money into the housing market, which in the absence of additional supply will simply push housing prices up. As a political party almost definitionally NIMBYist, the Greens are a priori opposed to additional housing supply in established suburbs. With lower interest bills over the life of a mortgage, home buyers will be able to bid higher for the same pool of properties. At a time when a major party has finally backed curbs on negative gearing and capital gains tax exemptions (a policy originally championed by the Greens), the last thing we need is another mechanism to pump more taxpayer money into house prices.

And like most handout mechanisms, this would be rorted by the wealthy. Who can afford a 40% deposit on a property? They’re the ones who’ll be knocking on the door at Martin Place to demand a cheap mortgage for the other 60%. The rest will have to go another bank for the remainder of the mortgage, and pay extra for the privilege of being given a second mortgage.

There’s good reasons why the Reserve Bank was hived off from the Commonwealth Bank in 1959. Governments realised the then-Commonwealth Bank couldn’t both be a participant in the market and exercise the regulatory and prudential functions of a central bank. The Greens’ plan would undo the 1959 Reserve Bank Act and have the Reserve Bank both competing with, and regulating, other banks. This would wreck the relationship between the RBA and other key financial regulators and compromise the independence of monetary policy setting. And who would vet the RBA’s lending standards? Who would be the lender of last resort if the RBA’s mortgage arm failed? Rival banks would face higher costs from foreign lenders concerned about the implications for stability of a return to the pre-1959 system. We’d need to set up a new, separate central bank to play the RBA’s role, which it couldn’t once it became a competitor to other banks.

Utter nonsense.

Then there’s UBI. If you advocate UBI — paying everyone an non-means-tested basic income — you’re either a fool, or you have an interest in undercutting wages. That’s why some tech billionaires advocate UBI; it would enable them to slash the wages of their workers without worrying that their employees will starve to death or (more importantly) not be able to buy their products and services.

The problem of UBI advocates from the left though is that they can’t do the maths. To give even a minority of Australians — say, those in the lowest two income quintiles — a basic income would require tens of billions of dollars extra beyond the current cost of all welfare — far more than you’d save from sacking every Social Services bureaucrat. And what about people with special needs, or carers? Do people living in cities get more than people living in country towns? Oh wait, you sacked all the bureaucrats, so even if you wanted some nuance in UBI to reflect different needs, you can’t do it.

And what if the best way to fix poverty isn’t the small-government, individual responsibility approach of UBI (just hand people money and let them do what they want) but through quality education and training or a better health service?

Oh yeah, didn’t think about that.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

quote:

Then there’s UBI. If you advocate UBI — paying everyone an non-means-tested basic income — you’re either a fool, or you have an interest in undercutting wages. That’s why some tech billionaires advocate UBI; it would enable them to slash the wages of their workers without worrying that their employees will starve to death or (more importantly) not be able to buy their products and services.

The problem of UBI advocates from the left though is that they can’t do the maths. To give even a minority of Australians — say, those in the lowest two income quintiles — a basic income would require tens of billions of dollars extra beyond the current cost of all welfare — far more than you’d save from sacking every Social Services bureaucrat. And what about people with special needs, or carers? Do people living in cities get more than people living in country towns? Oh wait, you sacked all the bureaucrats, so even if you wanted some nuance in UBI to reflect different needs, you can’t do it.

And what if the best way to fix poverty isn’t the small-government, individual responsibility approach of UBI (just hand people money and let them do what they want) but through quality education and training or a better health service?

The level of thought that went into writing this is astounding considering how mind-numbingly dumb it is.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

quote:

LOL

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
The line about sacking all the bureaucrats is amazing

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

For once I am glad to be proven wrong.

It's everyone BUT the Greens who are taking away the lesson that they lost in Batman for being too left wing :v:

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

i mean there is merit to considering UBI proposals with a critical eye - as noted in the article tech ceos aren’t supporting UBI-esque policies out of the goodness of their own heart.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

BBJoey posted:

i mean there is merit to considering UBI proposals with a critical eye - as noted in the article tech ceos aren’t supporting UBI-esque policies out of the goodness of their own heart.

I think their issue is that, as you get more automation, there'll be less and less people with money unless something gives like UBI.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Also the conservatives forget that increasing taxes on the capitalist class is a feature not a bug in a UBI system

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

BBJoey posted:

It was supported by Milton Friedman too.

I get the idea of being skeptical towards a huge social change like a UBI but those arguments are loving weak.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
SACK THE BUREAUCRATS NO GODS NO MASTERS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I'd rather that corporate entities were democratically run by the workers than relying on the Greens to give me money.

• Locked thread