Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
The megathread is dead, long live the megathread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Box of Bunnies posted:

the ball tampering scandal getting so much play over all the issues sports have with dudes abusing women (see how little rubbish Matt Lodge is getting in comparison for a contemporaneous example) tells me that mandatory ball tampering for all men should be policy going forward. come get your cypro, boys

Endemic vs. Catastrophic.

We're terrible at dealing with things appropriately because we had to get used to family members dieing for no reason while still having a fear reaction to predators grabbing us. So every week a sportsperson beats their wife, but very rarely do they cheat in sport, so one's a big deal that must have serious consequences and the other is ignored.

See also: Car Crashes vs. Terrorism

It's hosed and wrong, but that's sadly how our brains are wired to assess risk.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Starshark posted:

So I was listening to Lane Sainty and Alice Workman"s podcast and apparently Centrelink aren't going to backdate claims any more. So if you put a claim in today and it takes them a month to process it, you don't get paid from today to when they process it. Which begs the question: Do they want Centrelink workers to get bashed?

hahahahaha aren't the current backlogs for processing at like 4 or 5 months?

from Jan last year hahahahah
http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act...117-gtsy04.html

Over 7 weeks in some cases.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Gorilla Salad posted:

They're called "crib breaks" or something stupid.

It's where the few seconds of peace in between customers count as your 'break' so the company doesn't actually have to provide staff overlap or any other means to ensure you actually have a "break" in anything other than name.

EDIT: According to SDA's own site:

However, the SDA also acknowledges that your specific award can completely ignore all of that if, for example, you union is a bunch of loving hacks more interested in political manoeuvring and homophobia than representing the needs of their members.

Hahahahah holy poo poo. that's terrible.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

ABC on Police Brutality posted:

It's a tough job, Minister says
At a media conference to mark the start of new laws to protect police from deliberate car attacks, Police Minister Lisa Neville said it was important to remember it was a dangerous job.

"Our police officers not only put their lives on the line but are actually assaulted, attacked, sworn at, spat on every single day, she said.

"It's not our role to second guess how our officers operate when they are protecting the community."

Really, it's not the elected representative of the community's job to tell police how to behave in the loving community. Who loving exactly does that job fall to then?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

The Peccadillo posted:

Someone who has a hosed up enough mind to say "It's not our role to second guess how our officers operate when they are protecting the community" probably shouldn't have a role where their only job is to second guess how our officers operate when they are protecting the community

She must have been a negotiator for the SDA.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Strong and stable
Adults back in charge
Debt and deficit disaster

It's like they wrote their own irony future.

EDIT: "We really need to stop using this monkey paw"

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

The Peccadillo posted:

[tony voice] aaaah ... I'm the Prime Minister again and uh, suck me off, thank you

*silence and nodding*

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

JBP posted:

I'd rather that corporate entities were democratically run by the workers than relying on the Greens to give me money.
Now who's the pie in the sky idealist?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

JBP posted:

I was just thinking while we are at the green wishing tree I might pop in my two bobs worth :(

If only we had the greens wishing tree, there would be so many good ideas we could trial, so many positive changes we could make.

Instead we've got the racist potato plant.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Guardian Au posted:

Five Labor MPs have used their taxpayer-funded publication allowance to pay thousands of dollars to a Labor-aligned thinktank.

The group of MPs have defended charging taxpayers up to $1,000 a year on the basis they bought “institutional subscriptions” to the John Curtin Research Centre’s the Tocsin magazine, which is free online or costs just $50 for individual subscribers.

Federal Icac for the love of god please.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Anidav posted:

ABC flips hard right
News Limited flips hard left

How much alcohol will you need?

None, Aunty's been trending racist for years. Rupes flipping hard left would be a loving victory for the ages.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Something I've been thinking about heaps is the value of labour. Like everyone thinks of UBI and thinks all this work won't get done because we've got enough people for the jobs as it is, but so many jobs only exist because labour is extremely cheap compared to the alternatives. UBI would reprice labour to what people feel their time is actually worth and as such you would see a lot less jobs "needing" to be done as automation that is already within reach becomes the cheaper option.

You don't build the utopia then people stop working, people need to stop working to make the utopia economically viable.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Whitlam posted:

Just gonna quote this from the previous thread.

There was a discussion that this wouldn't be accurate because apparently as it's not a sitting week the LNP would be scattered to the 9 winds, and as such would be a bad time to hold a party meeting.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

BBJoey posted:

all the current, real-world examples of UBI are on completely different scales compared to the idea of introducing a nation-wide UBI

like come on i’m not opposed to a well thought out UBI proposal but “well it works when you apply UBI to a tiny subset of people so we should introduce it immediately everywhere” is retarded

Isn't this exactly how trials work? Like at what point does it move from "We have trialed this in an area" and "we have rolled this out"?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Does that mean the LNP leader could just decide never to call a spill?

Sentiment in the room is "gently caress yall, I'm leader".

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

BBJoey posted:

the issue is that there are a lot of factors that will be different between a controlled trial and rolling out a UBI nation-wide. take for example the Finnish pilot which i have scientifically picked from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basic_income_pilots - the trial involved 2000 participants selected from those receiving unemployment benefits, and it worked out pretty well. however, for the duration of the trial, 5.493 million Finnish people were participating in the traditional economy without a UBI. who knows what would happen if they weren't? additionally, the very nature of trials means you're unlikely to see much change - the fact that the trial might finish and the UBI might stop coming in will stop people from radically rethinking their life and work.

this isn't to say i oppose a UBI, but i think we need to recognise that it would fundamentally alter our society and we can't predict how peoples' work habits will change based on trials of very limited scope.

this

I think that a trial case across a broad spectrum of population with a statistically significant number of participants would be the most you could do, right?

Beyond that I mean would you do just one city? or region? I don't see how you could do a state by state trial, you can just test it and then roll it out and then tweak. I mean hell there's probably a lot more evidence for it than a heap of the welfare reforms that get rolled out Australia wide that are proven not to work, or are simply wrong. Robodebt, Drug Testing, Waiting Periods, Income withdrawl, Job Services Providers...

I don't know why UBI is so radically different to these changes that get made all the time to elligability or payments. Medicare being rolled out was a huge sweeping change, and now I can only imagine how terrible thing would be without it.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Night Shade posted:

when minimum wage was introduced in australia, it was enough to feed, house and clothe a man, woman and three children on a single income. maybe it should be once again.

Hahahah holy poo poo, how much would this be now?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Anidav posted:

It's like day 10 of Donald Trump loving up my ASX gains

Tough times for the man with the aggressive facial tattoo and rat portfolio.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Massive rorts by cousin of ministers wife in minister's portfolio.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/apr/09/one-of-queenslands-largest-irrigators-expected-to-be-charged-with

It's long and daming. :rimshot:

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Krudd still salty. Definitely a good look and something that not at all justifies the decision to roll you.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

JBP posted:

I'd be salty as well if my party rolled me because of incorrectly installed insulation.

Rolling Rudd was the death of the last vestige of Labor being even slightly left, rather than filthy vote chasing centrists. I'm not saying I agree with the decision, I'm just saying him being unable to let it go so many years later doesn't reflect well on him.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Gentleman Baller posted:

List of filthy centrist policies: tripling of the tax free threshold, NDIS, broadening of medicare, toppling of one of Telstra'a near monopolies with the NBN, carbon tax, mining tax, means testing the private health insurance rebate, a federal ICAC, removing capital gains benefits, focusing on renewable energy, etc etc for infinity.

Unless you're saying having some hard right wing policies makes a party centrist, at which point, lol for thinking Labor hasn't been like that forever.

Don't confuse unfucking the economy for actually being progressive. How about cutting support for single mothers, bashing the poors, refugee policy, blocking gay marriage? Also Rudd got rolled specifically because of the mining tax which was discarded by Gillard et al. Labor is very centrist, leaning socially slightly left and economically slightly right. Being more left than the LNP isn't the same is being actually left.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
My year 12 politics textbook from the late 90's explicitly called out Labor as centrist and LNP as right, and contrasted that to the 70's positions for how the ideologies and movements have drifted over time. Discussion of Hawke/Keating and the changes in labor policy from full employment to availability of labor in policy settings.

I'm not making GBS threads on Labor, I'll take centrist Labor over LNP any loving day of the week, twice on weekends and 4 times more on days ending with a y. I was very excited in 2007 for Kevin Rudd because it was a movement back towards the left but his inability to manage his colleagues and biting off more than he could chew against the mining lobby lead to some very disappointing circumstances following the Howard years, to the point where they took someone who would have been a permanent Labor lifer and broke me off the drat party.

I'll come straight back to Labor if their policy base is better than the Greens is, I'll vote for them if they prosecute a more compelling or better case. Every time I vote for the Greens I always preference Labor because while they might not be perfect (same as the Greens in that regard) they decently represent what I think is the best way forward for all Australians, but I'm never going to believe they're left with their current policy base and if you think so, you've been overton windowed to death by our lovely media.

hooman fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Apr 9, 2018

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Or actually making an effort to tackle poverty rather than just upping the level of desolation from "on the streets" to "only one thing going from from being on the streets".

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Or better yet when it comes to funding to address poverty:

Right: Fend for themselves, no funding
Centre: Minimum funding required to keep society functional, maintenance of status quo
Left: Sufficient funding to provide opportunity to escape intergenerational poverty

Labor has very much been increase funding to the level to maintain status quo and no further, while the LNP has been hold funding at current levels and don't index for a net effect of reduced funding (when they aren't outright cutting). Neither party is making a good faith effort in welfare to let people escape poverty by having enough money to survive as well as enough time to apply for work (eg. centrelink reporting requirements, work for the dole, etc.)

If you think the greens are immune to having centrist economic policies then I don't know what to tell you. The greens aren't a perfect bastion of leftism and I think you should moderate your expectations if you think they are.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Gentleman Baller posted:

I mean, I agree with literally all of this within the scope of addressing poverty.

But if, like me, you're defining left wing here as economic policies that help escape inter-generational poverty, then surely, surely things like making taxation more progressive and starting the NDIS are 'more left wing' than explicitly not doing those things?

The difference I'd call between centrist and left is that the centrist would take the steps necessary to undo the damage done by years of LNP rule, in order to restore things towards a status quo, taking enough action to prevent the starving in the streets and do some things to address income inequality whereas a strong left policy wouldn't be a case of "undo the damage' but actually go further and take a real stance on progressive taxation and bringing people out of poverty.

Maybe that's splitting hairs, but I was very disappointed with the welfare and centrelink policies of Gillard.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Gentleman Baller posted:

Uh, yeah I feel that decreasing poverty is a left wing goal, even if it doesn't eliminate all inter-generational debt or whatever.

I'd ask you what 'number' you'd want for it to be considered left wing, if you feel you have to define it that way, but last time we went down that road you talked about an upper limit on wealth being the 'start' of left wing economic policy.

This conversation is dumb I'm sorry thread.

I hope that I can explain my position a little clearer in regards to this.

If the LNP propose taking the poors from 1$/year to 1.01$/year I'd still call their policy right wing. Even though they have received more money the amount of money they have received is not sufficient to put them out of a "gently caress the poor category".

Labor's changes weren't substantive enough to be anything more than a maintenance of the status quo, they weren't sliding backwards (like they were under the LNP) but they haven't actually made progress towards any chance of betterment. Maintenance of status quo even while increasing (or perhaps in the case of massive deflation - decreasing) payments, I'd call centrist.

I don't know what the cash value between status quo and progressive is, but in my estimation Labor fell short of it. Just as the most glaring example cutting support for single mothers is loving bullshit but that's exactly what Labor did. On the same day as Gillard's misogyny speech Labor cut support for single mothers. That's not progressive, that's not helping some of the most vulnerable in the community.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Arse going out against Trumble all guns blazing huh.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Unless you're a professor or a funky conductor kill all people wearing bow ties day to day.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
There is an entire vocabulary dedicated to othering political opponents so you can engage with them as an avatar of a concept rather than as an individual with a point. You don't have to listen to a soyboy spouting SJW virtue signalling, because their point is inherently invalid compared to a person saying "hey maybe you should not poo poo on trans people just for being trans".

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Non alt right versions of this would be : Ivory tower intellectuals, latte sipping leftists, inner city elites and chuds.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

This but refugees

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
WHY WON'T LABOR STOP ABUSING OUR POOR AUSSIE MINERS!

BUILD COAL NOW.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Solemn Sloth posted:

Didn’t the nats chuck a loving fit when labor suspended trade?

Everyone threw a massive shitfit.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
How the gently caress does a study even cost 50 million dollars in the first place. Holy poo poo that's an insane amount of money. If you take a team of 20 and pay all of them 100k a year it's still going to take 25 loving years to go through 50 million goddamn dollars.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

JBP posted:

I'd watch an ABC mini-series where Dutton hits the streets Principal Skinner style looking for Cameroonian athletes who manage to evade him every time using their superior athletic ability.

A javelin flies through the air, jamming the train door open at the last second allowing the athlete to jump on in the nick of time.

Dutton huffs down the stairs only able to watch in dismay as the train leaves the station, the javelin competitor having escaped again.

JBP posted:

Oh no, where will she peddle her hot takes now?

:ironicat:

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

G-Spot Run posted:

You pay your mate's consulting firm 50 million. He hires 20 staff at an average 100k salary each but the remainder is "business costs" and his CEO package.

There's that wonderful efficiency of the free market in action.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

JBP posted:

Well it's more like when Donny Publicmoney turns up and asks for something you lie and fleece him then laugh about it.

hooman posted:

There's that wonderful efficiency of the free market in action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

BBJoey posted:

it is possible to acknowledge that the current use of islam in the political sphere is generally detrimental to a worse degree than the similar use of christianity without being islamophobic hth

Is that evidentially correct though or based on your assumptions?

I don't know whether it is or not, Indonesia is the largest muslim country on Earth and has a similar inequality index to Mexico?

• Locked thread