Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

You Am I posted:

Are the News Corpse/Fairfax paywalls still broken as poo poo that you can read an article in incognito mode?

I know The Age is still defeated by incognito mode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yassmin is the new Mia Freedman

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

JBP posted:

Nah Yassmin's heart is seemingly in the right place while Mia is a cappo propagandist.

Oh for sure, I meant in her effect on this thread rather than her politics

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
It's "Oceanians" anyway

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
No Peter, it's the people seeking asylum who are wrong....

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

JBP posted:

I did it this morning:

"Your cultural tastes are most similar to a middle class woman, aged 40-59 with a postgraduate education."

It doesn't work good though because it doesn't ask what indulgences you enjoy ironically and also lists a large number of Australia authors. No one wants to read that boring poo poo.

I got the same thing, want to join my book club?

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Trying to get a jump on sculpting the bust for our next PM

His stupid potato head is loving stupid and hard to get the likeness of, it's like a melted, mushy lump with facial features stuck on

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

CrazyTolradi posted:

Not enough sprouts

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

hiddenmovement posted:

This was exactly what an elderly friend of mine had to endure at a place near fawkner cemetery. A Frankfurt on white bread and a party pie was dinner.

She was diabetic.

This is insane and loving revolting
I shouldn't be surprised but what kind of mind purposefully treats human beings in their care like this in the name of profit?
gently caress

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Being a western consumer I'm obviously comfortable with some level of human exploitation to save money, but man....
The notion of starving the elderly to line your pockets in a modern, developed economy is really getting to me today.
I thought we were better than this

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

hooman posted:

We're not above starving poors and their children, or aboriginals, or refugees, why did you think we were above doing this to our elderly?

I guess the naked greed and callousness of such a decision without even the abstraction of being part of some larger, systemic injustice just struck a chord

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

hooman posted:

The larger systemic injustice is capitalism.

No argument there :)
Sometimes a really clear cut case of exploitation on an immediately accessible scale just shocks you though

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The AFL's association with Anzac Day seems more perverse year after year. I didn't even realise there was an "anzac-eve" game till now. That just seems more obviously exploitative. Flanagan was on the money in that Press club speech

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Exactly

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
But Mario and Luigi would have been so welcome in Federation era Australia...

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
That wage-theiving Northcote cafe always has a line out the door when I go past. They were obviously doing very well so they don't even have a poo poo non-excuse to gently caress over their workers. I wonder if the hipsters will turn against them now?

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Gluten Freeman posted:

Went past Barry today and there were loads of people in there. Class traitors, the lot of them.

Motherfuckers, I was going to go past this weekend for some schadenfreude. Barry Cassidy gave them a spray on the news this morning so hopefully people will get the message that you don't knowingly support wage theives.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I kind of feel like the media and society in general have put a lot of pressure on people to buy property so they also share some blame

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Clem ford explaining the incel movement to Phillip Adams on Late Night Live.
It's breaking my brain

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

I wish the internet would stay on the internet :(

Partly because whenever some horrible online subculture makes the news I find myself explaining them to normal people because this dead gay forum has exposed me to them all.
People look at you funny when you are obviously familiar with incel jargon

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I have no knowledge of video games since PlayStation 1, this thread has been informative over the last few days. How starved for stimulation are people that they would pay to play an unfinished product? I wouldn't watch a film that wasn't finished, especially if I could watch the finished product later

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

DancingShade posted:

Early access games are the electronic version of a deconstructed frozen hot dog.

To me they seem like paying for a terrible cam job of a movie that hasn't been released in Australia yet, where the cameraman spends some of the time pointing the wrong way and runs out of battery before the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Tried to write a big post about the obesity epidemic. Deleted it in frustration. It's such a wretched situation and it's just all hosed. We obviously can't continue to do nothing but the science is evolving and has been misrepresented by vested interests, policy measures internationally are too young to get meaningful data from. Once you're obese, it's extremely uncommon to get back to a healthy weight. This is going to get so much worse before it gets better.

• Locked thread