Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Senor Tron posted:

SA accelerated towards the abyss.

Funniest thing about it is that the libs can do gently caress all about most of the clean energy projects underway without losing a pile of money or feeding the opposition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

trunkh posted:

I know this is a joke, but The Murray Darling System is absolutely hosed. And anyone to the south dependent on the system is going to be miserable.

My hobby is reminding farmers that bushfires, droughts and weird weather can almost directly be traced back to climate change, so they need to stop kidding themselves that the good times are just around the corner and seriously consider selling the farm.

They get angry when I say that, but at least I warned them?

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

NPR Journalizard posted:

I have got relatives who are farmers and they have been trying to sell the farm for the last few years and noone wants to buy it.

That's a shame.

I might have my farm rant now I no longer work for an agriculture related industry...

froglet fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Apr 3, 2018

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

I'm curious what the rationale for that is.

Edit: Oh I misread.

It's not a loving break of you're expected to serve customers, though. Wtf.

Also, most people don't have watches these days, how do they expect people to check the time?

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Gorilla Salad posted:

They're called "crib breaks" or something stupid.

It's where the few seconds of peace in between customers count as your 'break' so the company doesn't actually have to provide staff overlap so that you can sit down for a few minutes without having to look at someone.

EDIT: According to SDA's own site:

However, the SDA also acknowledges that your specific award can completely ignore all of that if, for example, you union is a bunch of loving hacks more interested in political manoeuvring and homophobia than representing the needs of their members.

That.... Does not sound legal...

Oh. SDA. Right.

Check the award.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Zenithe posted:

Yeah, EBA calls it a crib break. Instead of an unpaid break, you get a paid 20 minute break where you "must maintain customer service" i.e. not a break. And now we apparently can't check our phones during it.

"Staff checking their phones during their crib breaks makes the company look bad. Now, let's see, what can we do... We could.... Provide them with a proper break. Wait nah that costs money, gently caress it, ban phones".

What industry is this?

I worked a job where the pens kept going missing and they implemented a policy of having to bring or being forced to buy your own pen. For a while I considered bringing in a novelty penis pen and making jokes about "pen is envy" (I was sooooo original at 17, not). The SDA were loving useless about it, too. My coworker who was getting her master's in HR wrote a strongly worded letter about forcing business costs onto employees and the policy was promptly scrapped.

It seems to me most jobs that fall under the SDA as the union have managers who are either bozos or power tripping lizardpeople.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Gorilla Salad posted:

You think there's anything Bishop could do which is worse than what she did to those mesothelioma sufferers?

I work in her electorate and the number of apologists for her shithouse behaviour when it comes to the mesothelioma victims is astounding. They also don't seem to understand why the Nuremberg Defense is generally considered an insufficient excuse.

But, of course, it's even more of a liberal heartland than my parents electorate. I'm actually a little surprised she's one of the more "moderate" Libs considering how conservative the area is...

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

DancingShade posted:

I'll weep a single tear for all the grey nomads who find themselves broke and still alive for decades after blowing all their savings on repeated trips to Europe or around Australia.

The thing that shits me is people keep making claims like they've "worked hard" and they've "earned" it, when really... They haven't. They just happened to grow up into a time of untold wealth and prosperity. Someone as smart and as hard working from a similar background as them today wouldn't be half as well off in retirement as they are.

But of course I'm the monster for pointing this out.

And in today's NEG news: Obviously the renewable energy industry is not very happy about the NEG and are trying to raise $500,000 to lobby for the NEG to be scrapped or to have more renewables. Ah, capitalism.

https://reneweconomy.com.au/smart-energy-council-wages-war-against-anti-renewables-neg-56510/

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Buying a house (and an investment property at that) seems like a really dumb thing to do at that age.

This guy will find he can't buy a house with his partner, move cities without a real estate agent... It just seems like a dumb idea all around.

Of course, I'm sure his parents will bail him out.

(Also my friend bought a house at 22 and now horribly regrets it. Turns out a 22 year old might be cool with housemates but a 28 year old is getting more and more jaded having to chase people up for money on rent, utilities and misc shared house expenses).

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Solemn Sloth posted:

This seems like a great way to make disadvantaged people even more invisible than they are in the census

To be fair, being disadvantaged doesn't mean you don't have a mobile phone. People in sub-Sarahan Africa are more likely to have a mobile phone than clean drinking water. Ice addicts have mobile phones, a lot of homeless people have said that a mobile phone is a must-have item.

However, I assume basing stats off mobile phones would exclude certain populations (old people, for example).

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

norp posted:

These are the heroes auspol deserves

There's a distinct lack of consistent, logical cycling infrastructure like bike racks in a majority of parks and public spaces, so I'm not sure why people get lovely people lock their bikes to the next likely looking structure.

Also, though it's kinda hard to tell from the picture but it looks like those are kids bikes. Kids aren't exactly known for their foresight and consideration.

I'll be happy to see this chump lobby for proper bike racks so next year this doesn't happen, but it's unlikely.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

The "hurr how dumb are people for borrowing more money than they could pay back" argument came up during the GFC. I can almost guarantee the banks intentionally targeted these people. After all, it's easier to trick an unsuspecting person than actually provide quality service.

It's a perfect information problem - the average borrower in this situation will probably be straight about their situation, the lender then decided to lie about their capacity to repay.

So yeah, I think the borrower's should have some recourseeven if they're crappy boomers who should have known better. There's no point in having banking regulations if the regulator turns around and tells people it's their own stupid fault they were victimised by someone, even though that person had a fiduciary responsibility toward them.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Oh boy. Four Corners is banging the drum about a sugar tax.

I used to be for it despite the fact it's regressive as gently caress, but now I'm ambivalent because the evidence hasn't proven it works the way it's meant to.

I'm not sure what the government can do about it, though. We're at a point where a large portion (see wut I did thar) of the population live in a noxiously obesogenic environment and I don't see any mechanisms the government can force it out.

You can't ban the stuff, and you can't go back to ration books like in world war 2, all the associated industries would go beserk. It's political suicide.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

I'm the first to admit I'm a fat nerd on the internet (surprise, I'm a goon).

The lady on the show did have a point - we have an alcohol strategy why don't we have an obesity one? Probably because the answers are (hurrr) unpalatable.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Nah mate go back to WW2-style rationing. Watch manchildrens go beserk when they find they might have to eat something green or starve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Nibbles! posted:

Obesity education should be a major part of the school curriculum for a start. Maybe it is these days, but I learned nothing about nutrition and it wasnt until I got into weight lifting that I educated myself.

You say that, but I also learned a lot about recycling, composting, walking/cycling instead of driving and how meat is bad for the environment... Only to be driven home, toss things into the bin without considering if it could be recycled or composted and fed a roast for dinner.

I feel like schools aren't equipped for this, you need a direct intervention with the people in charge and making decisions in the kids life.

• Locked thread