Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

CrazyTolradi posted:

Lol telling a casual retail worker to just quit their job sure is great advice. Who cares about the costs of keeping a roof over your head or food on the table?

If it's a choice between being made to take paid non-break breaks without your phone or homelessness I know which one I would choose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

fiery_valkyrie posted:

"I've got nothing against the Aboriginals but I'm sick and tired of being made to feel as if I'm a second-class citizen in my own country," she said.

I don't get this world view. People like Pauline feels persecuted by Aboriginals somehow. I have literally never seen an Aboriginal persecuting a white person except, and this is a stupid exception, for calling them a white dawg whilst drunk, and they also called the other Aboriginals black dawgs so it's hardly persecution as it is being very drunk and disorderly.

I'll ask racists how they're being persecuted. Or those idiots who endlessly complain about transgender people forcing their kids to become women to point to one instance of someone actually saying or doing that and they can't. It's some persecution complex driven to insane levels and I just don't get the point.

Someone explain it to me? How does listening to a didgeridoo in Australia make her feel like a second-class citizen? Or is she just upset that she gets told to shut her idiot face when she says racist things?

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

Doctor Spaceman posted:

We've done so much for them and they're ungrateful, uncivilised bastards who just want more and more.

So the exact same people who will claim they're not responsible for the genocide of Aboriginals because it wasn't them personally will turn around and claim all the benefits as something they personally brought them, despite it also not actually being them?

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

Pinball Jizzard posted:

Am I the only person still waiting on a picture of the “name and shame” board? I really want to liken this to previous experience of unions “having evidence” of something but never being able to substantiate.

I won’t though until we’ve confirmed there is no picture of the board.

Name and shame board is a very odd name for a bread banger.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

Solemn Sloth posted:

Just sat in a cafe next to some bow tie wearing gently caress of a greens staffer complaining about snowflakes and sjws burn the party to the ground

Is there an actual environmentalist party to challenge the greens?

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

Aesculus posted:

Labor's unrealistic pie-in-the-sky fairy tales will never happen and will saddle the nation with a debt and deficit disaster. Only the pragmatic and sensible Greens will make these things come true by making deals with the LNP to implement watered down versions

Not giving $65 billion to the top end of town = saddling the nation with debt.

Trickle down economics works!

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

Lid posted:

A men's squash pairing from Sierra Leone have become the latest African athletes to miss their event at the Gold Coast Commonwealth Games.

Hours after Home Affairs Minister Peter Dutton warned athletes who breached their visa conditions they'd be tracked down, locked up and deported, Sierra Leone's Ernest Jombla and Yusif Mansaray did not appear for their men's doubles match on Thursday morning.

Games officials have confirmed a Rwandan athlete, two Ugandans and potentially one Ghanaian are also missing in action.

I realise many Commonwealth games athletes go 'missing' during these events every time they happen. But how horrible would it be if the Minister for Potato Affairs made his little speech and then it turns out the atheletes were kidnapped and murdered or something similarly horrid. How would that look? I'm saying Minister Potatohead should shut up until they find them.

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

It's cool to keep referring to these people as "Africans" in these stories, just like Australians would be cool with being called Asians.

I'd prefer Oceanians, can we make that a thing please?

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

It’s ridiculous to force owners to upgrade their properties to meet retrospective energy efficiency standards, the cost would be prohibitive in many of the older paper thin houses in inner Canberra, either further reducing the supply of free standing housing available in the rental market, or, most definitely increase rents. Rental investment is indeed a business, however not a charity, owners would be forced to make tough business decisions to assess the viability of their investment. With skyrocketing land tax and the costs associated with retrofitting an old shonky house without the prospect of increasing rents to offset the expenses most business owners would make the decision that it was no longer a wise investment. Rental stock would dwindle forcing rent up, renters to live in apartments or on the city’s fringes where newer houses have better energy efficiency. We live in one of these paper thin houses, where the temperature inside is the same as it is outside! But it would be inconceivable to waste money trying to improve this house that was so poorly designed from the beginning. But we wanted to live in a house, in this area, and we had to start somewhere. We prioritised saving over holidays, eating out and shopping, and finally got our foot in the door in this delightful house. We can’t afford everything we want at once, we will make do in this house, freeze and boil through another few Canberra seasons until we can afford to do something about it. Why should renters be any different, they can’t have their cake and eat it too. Save, buy, or accept some of the negatives that come with renting. The fact is landlords aren’t evil rich corporations and we actually need them to provide houses for people to live in.

Why not just put a minimum standard on rental properties with a grandfather clause. Any new rental properties or rental agreements require the house to meet certain energy standards. Those shittier, older houses will sell for less to flip flop renovators and the government can use it's negative gearing as it was actually intended, to increase housing stock. Those people renting in outdated houses can negotiate to have their rent dropped to pay for their increased utility bills, because if they end the agreement the landlord won't be able to rent the property out anymore.

We don't let shops sell bad chicken. We don't let car dealers sell cars with deadly defects. Why should we let slumlords exist? If you're selling/renting out a product, make sure it is up to standard of gently caress off. Why should the Australian public care about how much you suffered to afford a poo poo hole just to rent it out to people?

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

What would the IPA know about the working poor?

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

DancingShade posted:

Yes but only if the newspaper photographer can get you posing in front of your private yacht.

It's pretty easy to lie to a newspaper photographer/journalist. Just go down to the marina and claim a yacht as your own. Say you can't go on it right now because it's being fumigated after a poor person stowed aboard.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

bell jar posted:

You'd think so but they can utilize their scent organ to detect pheromones in the air indicating truth/lie snob/povo etc

Just go down to the local David Jones before hand and roll around in the perfume section, followed by the men's suit section. That'll sufficiently mask your povo scent. I assume. On all tests of social class I consistently score in the upper class, I'm just waiting on my pile of money (which it is rude to discuss) to appear in my entrance galley.

Can't you just borrow a mates giant yacht?

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

JBP posted:

Remember the time that kid in Melbourne murdered a hobo and when interrogated by the cops told them he was hunting werewolves?

That's right friends. He smoked weed.

I was unaware smoking weed led to lycanthropy, had the Hobo bitten anyone?

Dimebag posted:

I think you are pretty spot on, make it so the point of sale is somewhere that currently are set up to deal with large amounts of pharmaceuticals securely, chemists. This would given them something new to sell that isn't lovely wooden toys/rascist dolls. If it's more of an open market allow "farmers markets" or co-ops to be set up with regulation so local growers can still make money off their crop or allow them to sell into chemists directly.

Given its new legislation make the minimum age 21 which would go some way to counter the developing brains should not be on drugs argument.

Allow use of weed in licenced premises(not likely as the AHA would pitch a fit if they lose revenue on alcohol to weed unfortunately) in smoking areas, this way you could have a joint at a gig in the smoking area. Don't allow it on the street similar to the way tobacco smoking is going giving a small fine that's more of a nuisance than crippling like $75 or so.

Use the public advisory board to develop a test for drug driving that is related to impairment rather than presence and take the money that's being flushed down the toilet each year on sniffer dogs, detective work and in the courts back into health and education.

Then use all of the above to work out harm minimisation techniques for more powerful drugs. Maybe smash some capitalism along the way?

We don't have smoking areas in WA, do other states actually still let smoker just smoke it up around all the normal people?

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

ABC News posted:

Renewable energy capacity set to exceed target Federal Government said was impossible
By business reporter Stephen Letts

Australia's renewable energy capacity is set to exceed a target the Federal Government said was impossible to reach by 2020, according to new research from Green Energy Markets.

Key points:
Renewable energy capacity is set to exceed 41,000GWh by 2020, a level the coalition government deemed as impossible before it slashed the RET
Market already delivered the government's 2030 emission reduction target, rendering the NEG meaningless: Green Energy Markets

Business-as-usual under the NEG will lead to 118 million tonne shortfall in the government's CO2 reduction commitment
In its quarterly Renewable Energy Index, GEM said the amount of renewable energy generated in 2020 was set to exceed the original 41,000 Gigawatt hour (GWh) Renewable Energy Target (RET) that was in place before being scrapped in 2015 by the federal government led by then prime minister Tony Abbott.

The original RET was put in place to help Australia meet its 2030 climate change commitment to cut emissions by 26 to 28 per cent from 2005 levels. It was replaced by a less ambitious target of 33,000 GWh after the Abbott government characterised the original RET as impossible to achieve, while arguing there was already too much generating capacity. The GEM study found estimated eligible generation would hit 41,381 GWh by 2020, not only exceeding the current RET, but the original RET as well. "The Coalition's argument that we can't go any further than the target they've proposed without imposing some kind of huge economic shock and threat to reliability is obviously not true because we're pretty much already there," Green Energy Markets director Tristan Edis said. "[Energy and Environment minister] Josh Frydenberg himself is saying that all the extra renewable energy that is about to enter the system will substantially push down power prices."

NEG 'meaningless': report
Mr Edis said the Government's National Energy Guarantee (NEG) would in effect deliver no meaningful emission reduction benefit, as projects already under construction and contracted exceed what is needed to achieve its established emission targets. "According to economic modelling undertaken by Frontier Economics for the Energy Security Board, from 2017 onwards we'd need to install 9,271 megawatts [MW] of wind and solar in the NEM [National Electricity Market] to achieve the Government's 2030 emission reduction target," he said. "Yet we already have 9,691 MW of projects that will be delivered in the NEM based on what has been committed to construction and what is being contracted under procurement processes currently underway." Those commitments include 650MW from the GFG consortium to power the Whyalla Steelworks in South Australia, a 500MW wind expansion from AGL, renewable energy auctions conducted Victorian and Queensland governments and a series of other contracts drawn up by generators such as Origin and AGL.

Huge shortfall in CO2 reduction remains
Mr Edis said the NEG in its current form would deliver a result that is almost 120 million tonnes of carbon dioxide short of Australia's commitment to the 2030 Paris Agreement. What is the Paris Agreement? Here's a simple explanation of the agreement, and what it means for Australia. "The maths on the Government's emission target is pretty basic," Mr Edis said. "According the latest emissions projections from the Government's own Department of Environment, the Government needs to find 128 million tonnes of CO2 abatement in 2030 to achieve its economy-wide 2030 Paris emissions target. "Even if Frontier Economics' modelling was right, it means the NEG delivers just 10 million tonnes in 2030 compared to business as usual. "Where the hell is the other 118 million going to come from?" Mr Edis said none of the options the Government had to make up the shortfall seemed likely to work. "If the Government was to adopt the most stringent vehicle emission standard they've contemplated in their consultation paper — which is a big if — then the Government's own estimates are it would deliver 11.7 million in 2030. "The Emission Reduction Fund is almost out of money. "Agriculture? Somehow I can't see a Government made up of the Nationals regulating to control emissions from cows and sheep or land-clearing. "They could pay for abatement but where's the money coming from?"

Record solar PV installation
The Renewable Energy Index found renewables accounted for 19.7 per cent of the electricity generated on Australia's main grids, or enough energy to power 8.7 million homes. According to Green Energy Markets, rooftop solar installations in March were the highest monthly total ever, and over the first three months of the year are running at levels 50 per cent above those anticipated in economic modelling of the NEG. "Households and businesses are continuing to install solar PV on rooftops at record rates in order to reduce their electricity bills. March installs set a new monthly record of 127 megawatts which will produce power equivalent to the consumption of 36,710 homes," the report said. "On top of the underestimates of large scale renewables, it suggests that the emission reduction target could be substantially strengthened at minimal economic cost."

So the impossible target the government said we'd never reach has been/will have been reached. Truly stellar work by this government. Through literally no good policy work they have managed to reduce our greenhouse emissions and meet our targets with seemingly no effort at all, in fact, many would say they appeared to be actively working against such a goal.

Also, I'd like to take a moment to tell my brother he was wrong, Solar Panels are perfectly useful form of electricity generation and a great way to reduce our impact on climate change. Neener neener neener.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

Lid posted:

The President of Azerbaijan took over from his father in 2003. His wife is the Vice-President. And last week he was re-elected with 86 per cent of the vote after a boycott by opposition parties.

Liberal MP Craig Kelly says Australia needs to learn from the country's electoral system.

The south-west Sydney MP travelled to the former Soviet nation for the second time last week as leader of a delegation to observe its presidential election. In comments that riled Armenians in Australia, Mr Kelly was quoted in Azerbaijan media saying he had witnessed a "coherent, democratic process" and "an election organisation that surpassed Australia's experience".

"We, together with my colleagues, will undoubtedly bring the useful experience home," he said.

To be fair, he felt he couldn't criticise their election process because of that little bit of electoral fraud in one of the council elections.

A reminder that during Azerbaijan's last elections their electoral commission accidentally released the results of the election the day before the election. Such efficiency!

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

Most cases of centrelink fraud are perpetrated by pensioners. How does this work into the narrative of bash the poors and also bash the boomers?

Anyway, I thought this interest payment was supposed to be applied to people who had held debt to centrelink for an extended period of time and still hadn't even attempted to pay any of it back yet.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

I was thinking of voting Greens this next election but this is almost convincing me to vote Labor. drat you Anidav and your sweet Labor siren songs!

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

Anidav posted:

A GOLD Coast high-school dropout is set to earn up $580 a week after buying an investment property at age 18.
My parents never lifted a finger to help me, they just gave me a well paying job when I dropped out of school and let me live with them rent free.

A true inspiration to all those lazy leaners who can't seem to scrape together two 5 cent pieces to afford a drat investment property. What are they doing with their lives? Other than eating copious amounts of avocado speared on bread.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Lol at reading about incels in the Australian media.

Jihadists believe they'll get 72 virgins in heaven.
The IRA were catholics (right?) and Catholics believe they shouldn't even masturbate or it will offend God.
This incel drove his van into a bunch of people.

Guys, I think I've worked out what makes a terrorist and it isn't radicalisation. It's a lack of sex.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

I think it is fair to say the banks that were fraudulent in their conduct should pay back any losses incurred through securing dodgy loans for people unable to afford them. I don't think the public should pay for it. I think those who filled in the blanks on those contracts should be charged with fraud.

I rather think some people should be doing jail time for this. There's a very clear paper trail in place, let's make these bankers pay. And then lets use those sweet, sweet fines to set up a National Australian Bank of some sort.

Wait...

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

AbortRetryFail posted:

They put up a notice on the steam storefront acknowledging it exists so it is basically the konami code for bad games

So now I can buy Early Access games and when they inevitably fail to hit their benchmark I can just get my money back?

Hello free games forever.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

bell jar posted:

People who refund games are the same people that sit through a movie and demand their ticket back

Look, I get it. But when you're promised something and it doesn't deliver, you are entitled to a refund under the consumer guarantees.

It's less like demanding your ticket back and more like paying someone to build a house, except instead of a house they give you a leaky boat.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

bell jar posted:

Its not like that at all, they're video games. If they flat out don't launch, sure, fine, but if they launch and you just don't like it very much, cop the loss. If the quality of the entertainment product isnt up to your standards, buyer beware

What? Are you aware of what the consumer guarantee says?

If the box says my toaster will also shoot fireworks, and it does not, I am entitled to a refund. Even if the idea of a firework shooting toaster is ludicrous. If my game promises me a certain thing and it does not deliver, than the consumer guarantee says pay me back. If it says it will run on Windows 10 and it doesn't, then give me my refund, if it says every world will be procedurally generated and totally different, and they are all the same but slightly different shades of beige, then give me my refund.

It's not rocket science.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

CrazyTolradi posted:

Matthew Guy puts Tones' flag game to shame.

EDIT: That's 16 flags behind Guy.

It looks like he's holding the press meeting from the closet where they store all the flags for ANZAC day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

Anidav posted:

Bill Shorten rubs a magic lamp.

What comes out?

A blue suit and a red tie?

• Locked thread