Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Pinball Jizzard posted:

Given the circumstance, the rule isn’t excessive. I’d imagine most of us technically can’t check their phone when being paid either.

buddy i work in the public service and approximately 1/3 of the time i bill the australian taxpayer for is spent on my phone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

i mean there is merit to considering UBI proposals with a critical eye - as noted in the article tech ceos aren’t supporting UBI-esque policies out of the goodness of their own heart.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

young greens are pissed off and wrote a letter to the federal party room asking them to strip the education portfolio from SHY because apparently she’s useless. this letter was of course handed to the australian. any inside perspectives?

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

The Before Times posted:

someone in the AYG facebook group leaked it as well as the 'marked up' version of the SHY response that someone did--the leak is explicitly against the fb group user agreement--so the AYG are pretty pissed that the letter was leaked too.

marking up the response is such a pitch perfect example of the kind of tedious pieces of poo poo you find youth wings of political parties, it’s quite impressive

e: i bet if you asked the person who marked up the response if they wanted members of parliament to speak honestly without intermediaries they’d give you an emphatic yes - but pointing out minor typos and grammatical errors is precisely why politicians use poo poo like talking points and form responses

BBJoey fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Apr 5, 2018

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

X13Fen posted:

Don't all the current, real-world examples of UBI have people working whilst receiving it and shock, everyone still works normally?

all the current, real-world examples of UBI are on completely different scales compared to the idea of introducing a nation-wide UBI

like come on i’m not opposed to a well thought out UBI proposal but “well it works when you apply UBI to a tiny subset of people so we should introduce it immediately everywhere” is retarded

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

bell jar posted:

again, why would parliament need to be sitting for a party to change leaders. does the government just not function/operate outside of sitting weeks? honestly the dumbest rebuttal in this page and amethyst has been kind enough to post here too

the politicians all go home to their electorates on non-sitting weeks, so they’re dispersed all over the country. if they wanted to call a party meeting they’d all need to pack up on a plane and come to canberra or wherever which would be a pain in the rear end for everyone. there’s nothing stopping them from holding a party room meeting in a non-sitting week but logistically it’s too much of a pain in the rear end to bother.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

hooman posted:

Isn't this exactly how trials work? Like at what point does it move from "We have trialed this in an area" and "we have rolled this out"?

the issue is that there are a lot of factors that will be different between a controlled trial and rolling out a UBI nation-wide. take for example the Finnish pilot which i have scientifically picked from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basic_income_pilots - the trial involved 2000 participants selected from those receiving unemployment benefits, and it worked out pretty well. however, for the duration of the trial, 5.493 million Finnish people were participating in the traditional economy without a UBI. who knows what would happen if they weren't? additionally, the very nature of trials means you're unlikely to see much change - the fact that the trial might finish and the UBI might stop coming in will stop people from radically rethinking their life and work.

this isn't to say i oppose a UBI, but i think we need to recognise that it would fundamentally alter our society and we can't predict how peoples' work habits will change based on trials of very limited scope.

Birdstrike posted:

they’re not going to do it before the budget

this

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

hooman posted:

I think that a trial case across a broad spectrum of population with a statistically significant number of participants would be the most you could do, right?

Beyond that I mean would you do just one city? or region? I don't see how you could do a state by state trial, you can just test it and then roll it out and then tweak. I mean hell there's probably a lot more evidence for it than a heap of the welfare reforms that get rolled out Australia wide that are proven not to work, or are simply wrong. Robodebt, Drug Testing, Waiting Periods, Income withdrawl, Job Services Providers...

I don't know why UBI is so radically different to these changes that get made all the time to elligability or payments. Medicare being rolled out was a huge sweeping change, and now I can only imagine how terrible thing would be without it.

that’s the point; there’s no way to comprehensively trial UBI without actually doing it.

from my perspective, what differentiates UBI compared to even the most sweeping reforms is that it creates a society where unilaterally stopping work is a survivable long term option for the entire population (as opposed to just the wealthy elite), which i don’t think we’ve ever seen on a large scale in basically all of human history. the fearmongering that everyone will give up and jerk off all day is horseshit because there are many more reasons to work than to earn just enough money to survive, but we’ll still need to consider what the effects will be of a significant portion of the population leaving the labour market to pursue their passions. wages will need to be dramatically realigned; if you didn’t need to work to survive, how much money would you need to pay someone to get them to clean toilets? how much to work a lovely retail job? these aren’t dealbreakers by any means but they need to be addressed (maybe they have already but i’m incredibly lazy and cant be bothered finding out)

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

ewe2 posted:

Bernard Keane has a big cry about mean Twitter fake news:

Oh boo hoo Bernard, we aren't professional like you.

to be fair there are a lot of dipshits out who get mad at any reporting of conflict within the labor party because why aren't you reporting on splits in the LNP?! when, uh, there's a tonne of reporting on splits in the LNP

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

hang kerr and the queen for treason

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

The Peccadillo posted:

Oh, Palestine, duh

And the massacre of Kurds fightin' for Riyadh, but that one's sort of the reverse

palestine is an example of Change From Within

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Sparticle posted:

That's because Labor's political strategy is to stand back and watch as the LNP perpetually falls down Penrose stairs.

this is false, labor is playing a big target strategy; see their taxation announcements.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

iajanus posted:

The question clearly says it is in one side of bread, how loving stupid are the people calling it a sausage sandwich.

Sausage between two bits of bread are a sausage sandwich. One bit of bread is a sausage sizzle.

you can absolutely make a sandwich with one side of bread, you idiot, you absolute imbecile

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

interesting that the capitalist imperialists at google share your opinion isn't it comrade

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

i was just thinking - seeing as how it's theoretically possible to be a minister while not being a member of parliament (at least for a short period of time), would it be possible to have a prime minister who isn't actually a representative or senator?

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

gucci bane posted:

I wouldn't be so sure about the Kevin Rudd inability narrative. It is very convenient that all everyone talks about is his 'micromanaging' and not the carbon tax.

it’s pretty well established that rudd was not a fun man to work for/with

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

very first line

quote:

In my latest column for The CEO Magazine

picturing a guy going to the newsagent and very conspicuously purchasing a copy of The CEO Magazine to try and impress the cashier

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

G-Spot Run posted:

Well this is certainly a development. I hope someone wasn't holding onto the strings for the right timing but who the gently caress are we kidding, these people are shitstains of humanity.

Prime Minister's Department employee arrested amid allegations of indecent acts against minors

the gloss of this being a pm&c employee doesn’t mean much - the prime minister’s department is a big place and it’s not like turnbull is responsible for its hiring.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

You Am I posted:

Australia can't afford the Bill we're going to get if they elect Labor :smuggo:

Dude, none of the major parties are going to give you any details, especially the ones in opposition, as this gives the government and media means of attacking them.

again i must point out that labor is playing a relatively big target strategy - see their announcement on franking credits, which riled up the olds, months before an election is even on the horizon. i imagine that their budget response is going to be fairly substantial similar to last year’s.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

it is possible to acknowledge that the current use of islam in the political sphere is generally detrimental to a worse degree than the similar use of christianity without being islamophobic hth

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Snowman_McK posted:

Do you mean the use of Islam as a term or using its values as a piece of political leverage?

the latter

hooman posted:

Is that evidentially correct though or based on your assumptions?

I don't know whether it is or not, Indonesia is the largest muslim country on Earth and has a similar inequality index to Mexico?

inequality is not a function of religion, broadly speaking. i’m talking about social mores; though christianity constrains human rights in a number of ways, in particular in places like latin america where conservative catholicism runs strong, i don’t think it’s much deniable that on average politically powerful islam has a worse effect on for example gay rights or women’s rights than christianity.

and i would also say that yes, as a tool used to justify the settlement and slow cleansing of palestine, judaism is destructive politically.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

personally the way i conceive of religion is that it’s a fool’s game to try and categorise a religion itself as better or worse than another. all religions can be interpreted to suit anyones’ ends. what actually matters is who is doing the interpreting and how strongly that affects people.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

meteor9 posted:

Wait isn't the bitcoin white paper just the initial proof of concept? Wherein it was more "this is a kinda neat thing that could be done if we work it out further" as opposed to the "if we work it ou- oh okay never mind, terabyte blockchain files ahoy" that's happening?

the white paper is just a proof of concept in much the same way mein kampf is just a memoir

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

reminds me of the arthur chu thatcher tweet for whatever reason

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

i read catherine murphy’s piece on credlin and frydenberg and wow it’s really bad

:qq: at least frydenberg is trying to do something (even if it’s really poo poo)

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

bell jar i think on balance you are on the side with the strongest point in this argument but jesus christ you’re a dickhead

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

swing voters are possibly the stupidest people on the planet

at least the rusted on lnp base stand for something politically - swing voters know nothing and believe nothing

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

hooman posted:

Actually true rusted on LNP voters don't stand for anything except for "What LNP policy is today". They can't justify those policies, or disagree with them, it's just "whatever the LNP say today is correct" irrespective of what they said yesterday, or will say tomorrow.

A lot of Australian voters don't actually stand for anything or try to have any consistent beliefs. It's all just parroting, confusion and knee jerk reactions.

i agree, but repeating the latest lnp policy line at least requires some amount of awareness. swing voters lack even that much.

also, request for advice: my retired mum has her money managed by an AMP-linked financial advisor. on all the available evidence her money is being managed well, but given what’s coming out of the royal commission she’s concerned. should she do anything at this stage given her specific financial advisor seems to be doing all the right things with her money, and if so, what should she do?

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

some dickhead being examined at the royal commission just collapsed, lol

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Anidav posted:

He was being asked why he kept hiring financial planners with past track records of predatory behaviour and he just started breathing heavily and fainted.

prior to this he explained that he hired himself, at $3000 per month, to provide legal advice to his company

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Starshark posted:

I got Neir Automata refunded with three hours by pointing out that most of that was going through the introduction.

way to refund one of 2017’s best games you idiot, you moron

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

how DARE you

• Locked thread