Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

Schlesische posted:

K, so what I learned is that there's a bunch of poo poo going down inside VicLabor and that part of it is parachuting Jane Garrett in to that new seat.

Don’t know how she’s still in the ALP. Attempted union busting with the firefighters union and undermining Andrews at every possible occasion. For a former rising star, she’s well and truly on the shitheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Recoome posted:

Frydenberg gettin zinged on ABC

“Well, no, Barry. The unions. Coal.”

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Sparticle posted:

The ALP's most popular tax plan is to not support the LNP's corporate tax cut for large companies. The average Australian voter can be convinced that a huge fuckoff mine will create jobs but trying to sell corporate tax cuts as job creation is not as easy. The Liberals were also dumb enough to admit that they were copying Trump.

On Insiders this morning, some Fin Review hack was saying that 49% of people polled support corporate tax cuts. That 49% might think by cutting tax rates they’ll get a wage increase?

Surely half the average punters on the street don’t think that the money saved by corporate tax rate cuts will end up in their pockets as a wage increase? loving Australians.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Starshark posted:

He probably meant to say 'among Coalition voters'. The only survey I've been able to find puts it at 15% if I've read it right.

https://www.smh.com.au/money/tax/voters-doubtful-about-coalition-s-big-business-tax-cuts-poll-20180203-p4yzcl.html

Hahahaha, of loving course he omitted that!

Thanks for the critical analysis that I’m clearly lacking, Starshark.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

JBP posted:

Literal quote from a Greens councillor to my mate who is an investor relations guy

XXXXXXXX: “what we need is a high profile celebrity candidate to come in and run against Ged. Can you think of any high profile non profit ceo types who support the Greens who we could tap?”

What in the actual gently caress.

What about Alex Bhathal? 7th times the charm, right?

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Don Dongington posted:

FTTC is a pretty huge leap forward from FTTN though. It actually has an upgrade path to gigabit, once they switch the last run from VDSL to g.fast, and it's a lot cheaper to then upgrade to fibre to the home if you need it. At present, it'll cost you upwards of $16k to go from FFTN to FTTH. FTTC to FTTH should be about 1/8th the cost.

Thanks so much for the effort post.

Usually I start trying to learn about NBN and fall asleep by the time RSPs/CVCs are mentioned, but this was super helpful and clear.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

JBP posted:

I do all the BuzzFeed style tests because theyre fun. I learned that I repel intellectual women this morning which is bullshit because I've spent the last ten years trying to get away from smart women and date airheads.

I too am awash with women trying to date me.

Women, right?!

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

It’s ridiculous to force owners to upgrade their properties to meet retrospective energy efficiency standards, the cost would be prohibitive in many of the older paper thin houses in inner Canberra, either further reducing the supply of free standing housing available in the rental market, or, most definitely increase rents. Rental investment is indeed a business, however not a charity, owners would be forced to make tough business decisions to assess the viability of their investment. With skyrocketing land tax and the costs associated with retrofitting an old shonky house without the prospect of increasing rents to offset the expenses most business owners would make the decision that it was no longer a wise investment. Rental stock would dwindle forcing rent up, renters to live in apartments or on the city’s fringes where newer houses have better energy efficiency. We live in one of these paper thin houses, where the temperature inside is the same as it is outside! But it would be inconceivable to waste money trying to improve this house that was so poorly designed from the beginning. But we wanted to live in a house, in this area, and we had to start somewhere. We prioritised saving over holidays, eating out and shopping, and finally got our foot in the door in this delightful house. We can’t afford everything we want at once, we will make do in this house, freeze and boil through another few Canberra seasons until we can afford to do something about it. Why should renters be any different, they can’t have their cake and eat it too. Save, buy, or accept some of the negatives that come with renting. The fact is landlords aren’t evil rich corporations and we actually need them to provide houses for people to live in.

Guillotine.

Alternatively, sell your slum you fuckin' slumlord.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

screaden posted:

And my wife's public school can't get funding to remove termites from the buildings

Well we can get rid of the termites or we can level out a croquet field.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

General “Stop The Boats” due to be next chief of ADF.

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2018-04-16/angus-campbell-to-be-australias-next-chief-of-defence/9662342

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Mad Katter posted:

The Michaelia Cash union raid tipoff was one of them, right?

Citizenship-gate.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

hiddenmovement posted:

This was exactly what an elderly friend of mine had to endure at a place near fawkner cemetery. A Frankfurt on white bread and a party pie was dinner.

She was diabetic.

I’ve been to that place for work.

It’s hosed. Old owners sold it and made a tidy sum, new owners want to put more units in (there’s no room for more units) and have cut services (like fire protection and security monitoring).

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

If this is supposed to scare me it’s not working.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Banks bad and unions good?

Has Bolt fallen off a ladder recently?

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Mad Katter posted:

Expecting the government to function like a family business that you own is a great example of the coalition's mentality.

From the same great minds that brought you "a bad boss is a bit like a bad husband" and "the federal budget is just like your household budget."

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Starshark posted:

Hah, it'll be the one year anniversary soon. We'll have to think of some new way to rile up the knuckle-draggers.

Oh gently caress yeah. I think I’ve gotten angry-tars two ANZAC Days in a row now.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

JBP posted:

What's the hype over this battletech thing?

PC game on a popular licence. The licence has been used and abused previously and this looks like it’s actually going to be a good game from devs that give a poo poo about the IP. Turn based XCOM style game with robots.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Anidav posted:

He was being asked why he kept hiring financial planners with past track records of predatory behaviour and he just started breathing heavily and fainted.

The Clive Palmer defence.

Now time for that man to start an alt-right meme page.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Halo14 posted:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-04-26/melbourne-cafe-owner-warns-staff-who-claimed-underpaymen/9699980

Melbourne cafe owner threatens to sue staff, who claimed they were underpaid, for 'harassment'

gently caress these wage thieving pricks. gently caress them so bad.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

CrazyTolradi posted:

That forum basically shut down in 2015 and moved over to a new one, and it just makes the old one look tame in comparison. There's a lot of "buy apartments and rent out the rooms" type of advice from Airbnb "superhosts".

Airbnb slumlord. Very agile and innovative.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

JBP posted:

I've checked my notes and I'm here to say
I'm Bill on the hill and I'm ok with gay

We’re loving doomed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Why the gently caress would he do this after it’s come out that he’s chased women into the toilets at these events when pissed.

• Locked thread