Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

tithin posted:

there's gently caress all going on this month, and gently caress all else happened last month that I remember

SA accelerated towards the abyss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Tokamak posted:

Afaik, a condition for getting indexed as a news source by google is that you can't restrict access to the article via google news.

This is good to know.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

Peter Beattie snubbed Turnbull for a handshake at the com games opening ceremony lmao

After making such a big deal about how they didn't want current politicians involved he probably wanted to play it safe.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

On topic of UBI chat, Kurzgesagt did a good video a couple of weeks ago on why it's in all of our best interests for as many people as possible to be well off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvskMHn0sqQ

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

MysticalMachineGun posted:

(and I wouldn't get any extra, which is fair enough) it'd feel a little weird.

You would get it as well though?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Lid posted:

Oh poo poo 260 new posts is a spill on (has to read 200 posts to find a spill mention that lasts 10 replies)

For fucks sake i should never have brought attention to that crikey article.

It's not just here, I came from seeing a Twitter storm to seeing 200+ new posts here and someone is definitely trying to stir the pot.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Night Shade posted:

:same:

It was originally 7s/day in 1908, which the RBA's inflation calculator lists as $48.50/day as of last year but there's no way that's actually enough for a family of five with modern costs of living.

Scarily, it's only $30/week less than Newstart.

e: it's almost exactly partnered newstart. holy poo poo

If you literally just wanted to be clothed, and housed then it could be a reasonable amount but that isn't a realistic target nowadays.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Tokamak posted:

Remember when Krispy Kreme seemed like it was a big thing?

In SA this was like 2 years ago.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

For those wondering what hitting the 30 Newspolls mark means for KRudds leadership ambitions:

https://twitter.com/MrKRudd/status/983120484605849601

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

ewe2 posted:

The Greens should in particular be selling their preferences to the ALP for a much higher price because as it stands the ALP are just getting a free ride off them.

Problem with that is the Greens can't exactly threaten their preferences to go elsewhere. The day that the Greens preference Libs above Lab is the day they lose a fuckton of supporters.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

JBP posted:

I could bloody flog what appears to be a $3m waterfront and move to a nice million dollar home then live like a prince forever, but no, the government is stealing $10k from me isn't giving me $10k as a reward for having investments.

Fixed. Love how all those complaining about the rules being changed consistently vote for the party that is loving over young people by trying to retroactively change the payback terms for student loans.

Les Affaires posted:

The funniest part about the irony for me is that fewer and fewer people in the younger generations are taking the risk to start their own business, because they either do not have the startup capital or they are too risk averse after years of being hosed around with or not getting raises or whatever.

When you have significantly less people starting businesses than before, you lose a large chunk of people who may even remotely align with the whole LNP "Business is good" ideology, because people are more inclined to vote in their self interest, and if their self interest is based on being a wage or salary worker, guess who they're more likely to vote for?

E: While it would be cool to have more people forming businesses (just because it adds to diversity in the economy), I will not miss the side effect of having more people running around thinking their struggle as an entrepreneur means "all the rest of you should stop punishing success".

It's obviously not the norm, but due to the field in which I work most young I know starting businesses are in the digital space, so the Coalitions mess with the NBN is actually persuading a bunch of the value of a government that invests in public infrastructure.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Yeah it's worth remembering that no one thought Abbott would ever get near the leadership.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

If Turnbull manages to hold on to the next election I wonder if he will put as much money in this time.

If he does, it will make his concession speech even sweeter.

If he doesn't, the party will probably see it as him admitting defeat beforehand.

• Locked thread