Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!

Let's Play "Yu-Gi-Oh: Forbidden Memories"

Yu-Gi-Oh: Forbidden Memories is an old-rear end PS1 game born from the deepest hell-pit of capitalism. Rather than wait for the rules of their card game to be finished, Konami decided to jump the gently caress up on their newly acquired Yu-Gi-Oh property immediately and start pounding out games faster than you could buy them. Forbidden Memories is one of those games, in spite of it being released briefly after the card game. It uses prototype rules that were originally being considered when the card game was first being adapted from the manga, and doesn't feature effect monsters, tributing, extra deck monsters, or even basic functions like a Graveyard. It's instead a fairly simple game of "get the larger number", which is a far cry from the complex strategies and mechanics of the real TCG.

Aside from confusing the poo poo out of children everywhere, that isn't too bad by itself. It's a demonstration of Konami's insatiable greed, yes, but the core rules -however hilariously unbalanced- at least function for a videogame, even if they would be loving awful in a person-to-person match. The problem is that the AI is a cheating piece of poo poo and the game expects herculean amounts of grinding from the player. Yes, there are ways to cheat the AI RNG, the card drop ratios, and even duplicate cards, but they require knowledge no normal person playing the game at the time would ever have come across without award-winning levels of research into what makes Konami's black acidic heart tick.

Make no mistake: This is one of the worst games Konami has produced, and thanks to the double-edged miracle of the internet, people have started to forget how horrendously awful it is. You can just look up how to outfox the game these days, but that isn't how it was meant to be played. How it was meant to be played is a trial and error, bash-your-head-against-the-wall fuckfest that deserves nothing less than your absolute disgust.

That being said, there are some things in the actual, core game mechanics worth sharing, in spite of all this stupidity and hostile design. Just don't play the game yourself, goddamn.

Videos

GamesAreSupernice fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jun 7, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Before anyone else points out the error I made: When I said playing Magic Cards instantly ends your turn, I meant it instantly ends your turn if you don't have any monsters on the field before you play it. It's still loving stupid game design.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
Don't do this to yourself, man. Play a GOOD Yu-gi-oh game, like...uh...

Legacy of the Duelist?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Play Duelist of the Roses, which is a good game but not necessarily if you want to actually play Yugioh.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Duelist of the Roses is also very grindy, especially if you wanna make use of the leader system.

Monk E
May 19, 2009
Speedruns for this game are amazing because they show off that even if you do the hours of grinding the game expects of you and memorize the obtuse fusion mechanics the rng can and will screw you over anyway.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

I love Legacy of The Duelist, actually

Monk E posted:

Speedruns for this game are amazing because they show off that even if you do the hours of grinding the game expects of you and memorize the obtuse fusion mechanics the rng can and will screw you over anyway.

Someone is trying to submit this awful game to AGDQ

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Eternal Duelist Soul and the Ds World Championship games were the only ones I liked

I never had the pleasure of playing this one, somehow it looks even less playable then that atrocious game boy game

mandatory lesbian fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Apr 3, 2018

FluffySquirrel
Oct 26, 2010

GamesAreSupernice posted:

Someone is trying to submit this awful game to AGDQ

They put it in one before if I recall, though I think it was in the bonus streams after, back when they did those.

But yeah, whoever said above wasn't wrong. They had to mercy-kill that run. Such a bad RNG game

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
And at least the Arcana Force can be forgiven for their luck based nature because 1) they look cool and 2) that is the whole point of the archetype since they're based on Tarot which is a form of divination.

I honestly wish the remaining Arcana Force cards from the anime would finally become actual tcg cards.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Apr 3, 2018

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Chimera-gui posted:

I honestly wish the remaining Arcana Force cards from the anime would finally become actual tcg cards.

Wasn't that archetype from GX?

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

I never got too far into Yu-Gi-Oh (I watched the show as a teen), but the one thing that kinda interests me is how confused its development was. The Toei anime, the shift in focus, the bunch of forgotten non-card games, the rules of the video games and their alternate interpretations of characters and events; it's a weird primordial soup of ideas from which this big franchise emerged. This game looks like it'll have a lot of that weirdness.

Also something to note is that this game had PocketStation features with different ways to get cards, supposedly making it much easier to get some of the rarer ones. The PocketStation was never released outside Japan, of course.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Wasn't that archetype from GX?

Correct, it was the deck of the second season's villain Sartorius who was a fortuneteller appropriately enough. He was possessed by a malevolent celestial being called the Light of Destruction and thus his goal was to remake the world in the image most befitting the alien.

And good number of the monsters were made into actual cards except for the Hanged Man, the Strength, and the Fiend. It would be wonderful if we could get a scripted Duel for Sartorius to show those off as actual cards in the real life game.

I'd also like to see Toon Summoned Skull, Manga Ryu-Ran, and Toon Mermaid re-released with their effects errata'd to match the ocg version like Blue-Eyes Toon Dragon was for its re-release in the Battle City Duelist Pack.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Apr 3, 2018

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
In the screenshot lp done last year(?) someone made a program that will auto lookup fusion combinations. I can see if I can find it real quick

edit found it
https://github.com/Solumin/YGO-FM-FusionCalc

Makes the game somewhat(subjective as gently caress) easier to play this way. Cheat like a motherfucker instead though
VVVV beat you :p I would have given your name but closed the tab and :effort:

UCS Hellmaker fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Apr 3, 2018

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Oh hey that someone was me! OP mentioned wanting to grind this, so I wasn't sure if he'd want to use that tool.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Note: This first episode doesn't tell you that the enemy AI, late-end game, CHEATS. They literally DRAW and then MORPH the card they drew into one that they need. Basically: The game is a loving oval office and deserves no mercy by way of cheating the cheating AI. Also: The game was made with the Playstation Pocket Station in mind. And there are cards you can't get without it. It was REQUIRED because of these loving star chip costs. And the costs WERE NOT LOWERED DESPITE THE POCKET STATION NOT WORKING IN THE US.

Kemix fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Apr 4, 2018

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010
I'd take Reshef of Destruction over this.

(Then again I ROM hacked RoD to not be awful)

FM speedrunners have actually found an RNG manipulation strategy to net themselves three copies of the game's best monster, so runs of this only take about an hour as opposed to the 3 hours (If you're lucky!) it used to. There's even some semblance of "strategy" due to the various AI manipulations.

...but it's still horrible.

EDIT: Oh yeah for added fun punch in this password: 81179446

Ephraim225 fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Apr 4, 2018

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Today is the 20th anniversary of the anime. Did you do that on purpose?

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

You shouldn't need frame-perfect RNG manipulation to make a game playable

Ephraim225 posted:

I'd take Reshef of Destruction over this.

(Then again I ROM hacked RoD to not be awful)

FM speedrunners have actually found an RNG manipulation strategy to net themselves three copies of the game's best monster, so runs of this only take about an hour as opposed to the 3 hours (If you're lucky!) it used to. There's even some semblance of "strategy" due to the various AI manipulations.

...but it's still horrible.

EDIT: Oh yeah for added fun punch in this password: 81179446

Reshef is too much for me, but I thank you for the romhack, I've shared it with others

Lizard Wizard posted:

Today is the 20th anniversary of the anime. Did you do that on purpose?

No, I respect Yu-Gi-Oh more than that

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Somebody already did an LP of this, and from that I learned of the many, many layers of bullshit Forbidden Memories has. The computer actually has the ability to change a card in its hand to gently caress you over.

Good luck with this.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

get that OUT of my face posted:

Somebody already did an LP of this, and from that I learned of the many, many layers of bullshit Forbidden Memories has. The computer actually has the ability to change a card in its hand to gently caress you over.

Good luck with this.

I intend to show off the card animations and several deck builds, but yeah, I'm familiar with the game's cheating

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
Oh drat, is this the one we made that fusion search tool for? This is a real train wreck. There’re only two stats that matter for the cards and the AI knows all the fusion combos.

All the data from Solumin’s fusion calc was scraped from a really old gameFAQ and there were a few inaccuracies but it is mostly correct and comprehensive.

I remember in the last LP when learning that if you beat an optional super powered early boss you just have to fight him again. And AGAIN. And again. Until you lose or turn off the PlayStation. Which are both excellent choices given the circumstance.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I had this game as a child. I never got too far because the game hates the player, but I genuinely enjoyed it. I can't even remotely imagine why, I guess it's because it was the only YGO game back then, and because child me had bad taste seeing how he liked Digimon World 3 too.

I also had no idea monsters had two animations, I learned something new about this shitpile that dares call itself a game and reminds us that Konami didn't start sucking relatively recently, they were always awful, they just shifted in the way they are awful.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Most of Konami's good games seem to have come from them leeching on creative people, because their original products generally are very poor quality

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

This looks like a fantastic LP. I have played Forbidden Memories. I think I still have the disc in its box, somewhere. I'm not entirely sure where you found positives worth sharing, because I sure as hell didn't.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Raitzeno posted:

This looks like a fantastic LP. I have played Forbidden Memories. I think I still have the disc in its box, somewhere. I'm not entirely sure where you found positives worth sharing, because I sure as hell didn't.

the presentation and variety in fusions, mostly!

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

the presentation and variety in fusions, mostly!

For me it's the artwork, the fact that the ~500 monsters are fully animated (including Labyrinth Wall!) and a really nice soundtrack. Without monster effects, the fusion system doesn't shine as well as it should since there's basically only one good fusion...well, two, but one's very easy to make. Thankfully Duelist of the Roses makes pretty good use of the fusion system in my opinion, I've built several decks in that game around it.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Ephraim225 posted:

For me it's the artwork, the fact that the ~500 monsters are fully animated (including Labyrinth Wall!) and a really nice soundtrack. Without monster effects, the fusion system doesn't shine as well as it should since there's basically only one good fusion...well, two, but one's very easy to make. Thankfully Duelist of the Roses makes pretty good use of the fusion system in my opinion, I've built several decks in that game around it.

I think most of the things you listed fall under presentation, but yeah, I definitely agree!

TheKirbs
Feb 16, 2018

True reality is on this side of the screen

Where did all this star sign stuff come up from?

I played this game a lot when I was young (by which I mean my friend played it for me because gently caress the AI and it's spam of impossibly cheap beat sticks) and for the life of me I can't remember seeing them.

Did they change it for the European version or am I repressing stuff.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

TheKirbs posted:

Where did all this star sign stuff come up from?

I played this game a lot when I was young (by which I mean my friend played it for me because gently caress the AI and it's spam of impossibly cheap beat sticks) and for the life of me I can't remember seeing them.

Did they change it for the European version or am I repressing stuff.

The early ygo games all have weird and arbitrary type advantage systems like this. And they're rarely the same twice.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

You might've just been able to ignore the signs by skimming over them and spamming X. I also did that as a kid

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The best part of these old games is all the ancient and terrible cards in them from the very first sets. Many of which were never reprinted in Japan and never ported to the TCG.

The OCG hadn't even been out a year when this mess came out in Japan and the "expert" rules everyone's used to had only just been introduced in the manga a few months prior. FM is terrible garbage in a lot of ways but there wasn't much source material to work with.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Apr 5, 2018

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

dis astranagant posted:

The OCG hadn't even been out a year when this mess came out in Japan and the "expert" rules everyone's used to had only just been introduced in the manga a few months prior. FM is terrible garbage in a lot of ways but there wasn't much source material to work with.

I think Konami should've been a bit more patient

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

At this point Duel Monsters was expected to come and go like all the other games in the comic. The previous year they adapted Capsule Monster Chess, the next year they'd be trying to figure out wtf to do with Dungeon Dice Monsters before realizing no one gave a poo poo and getting Takashi to go back to the card game. Gotta sell the shovelware while people are still interested if you want to keep the lights on.

This was neither the first, nor the worst, adaptation of the card game. The first one didn't even have traps to help get rid of the overpowered bullshit the ai would cheat out.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.
Oh hey, this game.

Good luck, friend. You're gonna need it.

Faust IX
Nov 6, 2009
...oh right, I remember why I literally lost all hope of beating the game without doing something really, really insane. I have nothing but respect for you, man, because I legitimately want to see what happens after a little while. Have fun Good loving luck with it, because I'm pretty sure the one thing that you can actually rely on is those field cards, but like everyone else has pointed out, this game is rigged. I legitimately had a deck with Forest fields for a...different....fusion monster to use in a similar vein to what you showed off there with Umi and Twin-Headed Thunder Dragon, and I can say with no uncertainty that if the opponent tries to place their own field card down/playing with a field advantage already, and you try to change it, the AI will immediately try to change it back. Even past the card max..

So are we going to start taking bets on how many duels it takes altogether to finish the LP? Given you have at least 300 for the first video, I...I really have no idea just how much you're going to actually need, but this will certainly be an LP worth watching.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

I mean, I intend to win the duels on the first go most of the time, since I've already spent 25 hours unlocking every fun card

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

I meant no offense to transgender persons, this was simply the least offensive way I could think to word Konami's plainly idiotic choice in fusion categories for this game.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010
Ah this guy, wins Time Wizard and he's all "whatever". You can make any dragon into Thousand Dragon with it (2400 attack, can fuse into Twin-Headed, etc.)

And there is a fusion resulting in something with less than 1000 attack, it's Mystical Elf. But it has a stupidly low number of combinations to make it, one of two cards in the entire game are needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Ephraim225 posted:

Ah this guy, wins Time Wizard and he's all "whatever". You can make any dragon into Thousand Dragon with it (2400 attack, can fuse into Twin-Headed, etc.)

And there is a fusion resulting in something with less than 1000 attack, it's Mystical Elf. But it has a stupidly low number of combinations to make it, one of two cards in the entire game are needed.

What are the two cards?

• Locked thread