Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
I heard about this game

The legends did not do it justice

and I already despise grinding for cards in regular YGO games

DeafNote fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Apr 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

DeafNote posted:

I heard about this game

The legends did not do it justice

and I already despise grinding for cards in regular YGO games

Most of the cards worth having in this one have single digit in 2048 drop chances if and only if you get A or S rank. Some of these require A Tec, which you can only get for stalling for 30 or so turns while activating lots of spells and not attack or playing monsters in attack position.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

GamesAreSupernice posted:

What are the two cards?

The exact combination is:

An "Elf" monster, and a "Light" monster, both requiring less than 800 attack (or else you get Dark Witch, Dark Elf, or something)

And only two Elves have less than 800: Wing Egg Elf, and Dancing Elf.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Ephraim225 posted:

The exact combination is:

An "Elf" monster, and a "Light" monster, both requiring less than 800 attack (or else you get Dark Witch, Dark Elf, or something)

And only two Elves have less than 800: Wing Egg Elf, and Dancing Elf.

This is a lot more relevant in Duelist of Roses because Mystical Elf has a really strong attack/defense buff effect there.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!
Is Duelists of the Roses actually good? I know it's a direct sequel to this game in name.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Is Duelists of the Roses actually good? I know it's a direct sequel to this game in name.

It's super janky and has a ton of grind but I guess it's kinda neat.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

dis astranagant posted:

It's super janky and has a ton of grind but I guess it's kinda neat.

Oof, I do hate grinding. Why can't the other games be like Legacy of The Duelist and hurl new cards at you like it's trying to get rid of excess stock?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Is Roses very loosely based on The War of Roses?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

PhazonLink posted:

Is Roses very loosely based on The War of Roses?

Yes. They try really hard to beat you over the head with it, too.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010
Roses is grindy if you want to collect all cards or max all your leader ranks. You don't really need to though. Roses is pretty good in my opinion, I just wish they took it another step further in a continuation of it, but that's certainly not going to happen.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Ephraim225 posted:

Roses is grindy if you want to collect all cards or max all your leader ranks. You don't really need to though. Roses is pretty good in my opinion, I just wish they took it another step further in a continuation of it, but that's certainly not going to happen.

Falsebound Kingdom is about as close as we ever got there.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

I dislike Falsebound Kingdom with a passion, but I will admit it's not half as awful as this.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
I'd sooner 100% Reshef of Destruction than play this bullshit game. You can at least look up the decks of your opponents and plan a deck around that with whatever element(s) they're weak against, since it uses the Dark Duel Stories element gameplay.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Kemix posted:

I'd sooner 100% Reshef of Destruction than play this bullshit game. You can at least look up the decks of your opponents and plan a deck around that with whatever element(s) they're weak against, since it uses the Dark Duel Stories element gameplay.

I'm surprised how many people find Reshef more tolerable than Forbidden Memories

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

Kemix posted:

What if they have a Divine Monster? Ahahahahahaha.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

It's pretty sad that the closest thing I can think of to this game is Digimon Digital Card Battle because that game is genuinely really good and this game is most definitely not. Both have a similar gameplay style (cards, animations, VN-like talking) but DCB has logical rules and doesn't hate the player (mostly, gently caress Garurumon).

It makes me wonder if this game could've been good, it clearly had effort put into it, but it has so much absolute poo poo and completely terrible decisions in it.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

It makes me wonder if this game could've been good, it clearly had effort put into it, but it has so much absolute poo poo and completely terrible decisions in it.

I can think of a few ways it can be made "inoffensive" through a mod (mainly better and more consistent loot tables, and nerfed endgame opponents.) For it to be "good" I think we'd need decent monster effects and making traps more common and not take an entire turn to set.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

the weirdest thing about this game was that it shipped in a double disk case. little kid me always thought I was missing sonething.

(i was and it was an actually good game)

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

PenguinKnight posted:

the weirdest thing about this game was that it shipped in a double disk case. little kid me always thought I was missing sonething.

(i was and it was an actually good game)

Didn't it have some lovely promo cards that really wouldn't have fit in a regular case?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

That eye beam WAS pretty intence.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

dis astranagant posted:

Didn't it have some lovely promo cards that really wouldn't have fit in a regular case?

You best not be dissing Zoa and Metalzoa there!

...Oh wait those two cards were taken out of the english release. Nevermind.

(But yes there were promos
http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Yu-Gi-Oh!_True_Duel_Monsters:_Sealed_Memories_promotional_cards)

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
edit: Not sure how that happened

DeafNote fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Apr 10, 2018

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

DeafNote posted:

You best not be dissing Zoa and Metalzoa there!

...Oh wait those two cards were taken out of the english release. Nevermind.

(But yes there were promos
http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Yu-Gi-Oh!_True_Duel_Monsters:_Sealed_Memories_promotional_cards)

For some reason I was thinking of the DDS promos. At least Metalmorph was vaguely useful when everyone just had a couple starter decks jammed together.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

dis astranagant posted:

For some reason I was thinking of the DDS promos. At least Metalmorph was vaguely useful when everyone just had a couple starter decks jammed together.

Back when I resumed playing after my first hiatus, around FotB, a Metalmorph/Red-Eyes Black Metal Dragon duo was so rare to have that you could basically just take someone's entire trade folder for the two combined.

GawainStark
Apr 9, 2016
Oh hey a vlp for this grind of a game. In the previous lp, I discovered that a Brazilian team of fans actually made an unoffical sequel/rom-hack to this game called Forbidden Memories 2 which added an absolutely staggering amount of cards (like maybe over 1,000) including the God cards because why not. The story is identical to up to the part I stopped at Bandit Kieth stomped me to death about 20 times before I quit but it swaps a bunch of characters around like replacing Heishin with Yami Bakura and one of the three villagers became Seto who was replaced with Marik (he doesn't even have an ancient Egyptian counterpart since if I remember correctly Yami Marik is just his darkside personified) .

The game play of FBM 2 is even worse when you realize the fusion combinations are completely different thanks to the new cards and Simon will whip out Dark Sage whenever he wants who he can power up to around 4k atk points. It makes a mess of a game into an even bigger mess.

I also recently discovered that there was ANOTHER unofficial sequel/ rom-hack made by a completely different team was made called Yu-Gi-Oh Forbidden Memories 2: Phantom Realm which I have yet to try out because I have been burned once by these kinds of things. I found a video of the games first 15 minutes https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bn4HnzwNqM. It um has a different plot at least.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

GawainStark posted:

I also recently discovered that there was ANOTHER unofficial sequel/ rom-hack made by a completely different team was made called Yu-Gi-Oh Forbidden Memories 2: Phantom Realm which I have yet to try out because I have been burned once by these kinds of things. I found a video of the games first 15 minutes https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bn4HnzwNqM. It um has a different plot at least.

why would anyone willingly replicate the gameplay of FBM?? Even if there were effect monsters there wouldn't be any interesting plays to make because the spells and traps are bland and not interesting enough. On the one hand the changes/expansions to the fusion mechanics are a neat touch, and I don't know if they plan on adding monster effects and a better spell selection, but come on, at least make a clone of Roses if you're going to go so far.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

incredible, immense nostalgia.

Also one thing: All the yugioh games have kickass music. which might have helped distort perceptions.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

phantom realm's presentation is adorable

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Duelist of the Roses is actually a really fun and solid game and doesn't really need grinding for the most basic of stuff, if you know what you're doing.

Because it's a strategy field game you can do a lot with worse cards than just about any other Yugioh game. This also means it is a game you should play instead of this game.

Also it has Henry (Yugi) Tudor. Pic related.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Lord_Magmar posted:

Duelist of the Roses is actually a really fun and solid game and doesn't really need grinding for the most basic of stuff, if you know what you're doing.

Because it's a strategy field game you can do a lot with worse cards than just about any other Yugioh game. This also means it is a game you should play instead of this game.

i'm not playin' forbidden memories because of its quality, in case that's not clear

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Lord_Magmar posted:

Yeah, I think the most grindy mechanic is the leader thing, which I wouldn't be surprised if you could completely ignore if you wanted to.

Also the whole bluffing aspect with facedown cards works really well in a TBS game (at least in theory, didn't play enough to know if the AI cheats and knows what your facedowns are or something).

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

i'm not playin' forbidden memories because of its quality, in case that's not clear

No I am aware, I just want you to do a let’s play or Duelist of the Roses instead, because it is a better game and a special sort of nuts that only historical war themed Yugioh video games can be.

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

I'm surprised how many people find Reshef more tolerable than Forbidden Memories
This game has a lot of the same issues Reshef has, but it's also kinda shallow mechanically. No graveyard means all monsters are one-and-done, no effect monsters takes away a huge chunk of strategic options, traps basically don't exist for the player unless you get lucky and win one (haha that 999,999 cost), and fusion is esoteric even with a guide.

Reshef's problem is more with balance than with the basic gameplay; at its base Reshef still plays very similarly to The Sacred Cards, and the Sacred Cards was actually a fun game.

Saladin Rising fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Apr 11, 2018

GawainStark
Apr 9, 2016

I prefer Forbidden Memories simply because I have actually beaten it without cheating unlike Reshef. Reshef’s final boss is nigh-impossible.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Well, you clearly are. You aren't playing it because it is GOOD, but you're clearly playing it because of its (complete lack of) quality. Like a Dark Quality of sorts.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Yeah, I think the most grindy mechanic is the leader thing, which I wouldn't be surprised if you could completely ignore if you wanted to.

Also the whole bluffing aspect with facedown cards works really well in a TBS game (at least in theory, didn't play enough to know if the AI cheats and knows what your facedowns are or something).

I NEVER knew what the gently caress I had to do for getting new leaders, always thinking "Maybe It's a random drop!" and...well...I played both campaigns to the end and completely forgot about the whole "leaders" aspect of the game.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Blaze Dragon posted:

Well, you clearly are. You aren't playing it because it is GOOD, but you're clearly playing it because of its (complete lack of) quality. Like a Dark Quality of sorts.

"dark quality" is my favorite yugioh card

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

buckle up for some long-rear end cutscenes

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Dunno if I should really spoiler this for people who haven't seen the video yet, but guess better to be safe - Huh, the stadium where they're having that YGO tournament is also used for baseball games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Yu-Gi-Oh will soon overtake baseball

• Locked thread