Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

SSNeoman posted:

Any chance you could get Labyrinth Wall yourself or is that also a 9999999 star chip monster? That seems like the ultimate wall in this game.

Meteor B. Dragon has 3500 attack so when not on a Wasteland that beats it anyways and we're very close to the special opponent that drops it like crazy

But I've gotten Labyrinth Wall as a random drop from particular opponents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I only play Crystal Beasts these days. They're surprisingly good after their recent support and with Link monsters being a thing.

I used to play some batshit full lockdown thing involving Ojama King/Ground Collapse, Jinzo and Horus Lv8 back in the day though.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!
Labyrinth Wall is super easy to run over if you're using a deck meant to win the game, yeah

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Youtube suggested this Speedrun Fail video since I've been watching these:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tUj5F5mV5M&t=603s

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
After you finish this LP, I would love to see you do LotD, especially the challenge decks.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Croccers posted:

i didn't even know exodia was in the game

ApeHawk posted:

After you finish this LP, I would love to see you do LotD, especially the challenge decks.

i really like LotD but i'm not sure if i'll do the challenge decks, since i had the most fun making janky custom decks

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

GamesAreSupernice posted:

i didn't even know exodia was in the game

The legs don't drop (gotta push that Pocketstation feature) but the arms drop off basically everyone, albeit at terrible rates. Seto and Heishin both drop the head. The second Heishin fight is the only time the computer uses it and as far as we can tell that video is the only record of it actually working.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

so what does the "D" in Giltia the D. Knight even stand for? i get what the other "D"s are from context, but not that one

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

so what does the "D" in Giltia the D. Knight even stand for? i get what the other "D"s are from context, but not that one

Dragon or Dark. German goes with Drachenritter, French with Chevalier des Ténèbres, Japanese is just "magic knight".

I don't think "Dark" fits for a LIGHT-type monster.

Divine maybe?

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010
I believe the English dub explicitly went with "Dark".

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

It stands for "Konami and/or 4kids should never translate anything ever again".

YGO's translations have always been really iffy even to this day, and it's horrendous.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Giltia is not even a dark type
Nothing will be as funny as "Lord of D" anyway

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

DeafNote posted:

Giltia is not even a dark type
Nothing will be as funny as "Lord of D" anyway

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

The composition of that image is quite beautiful. It's as though he's gesturing to Little D as his source of ultimate power.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Ephraim225 posted:

I believe the English dub explicitly went with "Dark".

I actually went and hunted down an episode where it's summoned and he just said "Giltia the Knight".

It might change in other episodes, I didn't check them all.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

It's time to catch up with our friends.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
It was the Viz Manga that used the name 'Giltia the Dark Knight'

also Hi REBD
Bye REBD

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

DeafNote posted:

It was the Viz Manga that used the name 'Giltia the Dark Knight'

also Hi REBD
Bye REBD

Red-Eyes isn't such an ace card if I can run it over with a recolor of Two-Mouth Darkruler.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Twin-headed Thunder Dragon is your best friend in this game until you get to a certain other card (or you RNG manipulate in a TAS to get it from your very first duel).

I didn't remember Villager #1 was that thoughtful though, Egyptian Godsdamn that's unexpectedly deep. Villager #3 isn't bad either, reminds me of how shocked I was when Judai's character in the fourth season of GX was basically "I've gone through so many life-and-death moments that I genuinely can't see card games as something fun anymore".

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Blaze Dragon posted:

Twin-headed Thunder Dragon is your best friend in this game until you get to a certain other card (or you RNG manipulate in a TAS to get it from your very first duel).

I didn't remember Villager #1 was that thoughtful though, Egyptian Godsdamn that's unexpectedly deep. Villager #3 isn't bad either, reminds me of how shocked I was when Judai's character in the fourth season of GX was basically "I've gone through so many life-and-death moments that I genuinely can't see card games as something fun anymore".

The spin-off Yu-Gi-Oh series' generally have surprisingly strong characterizations like that.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Finally got around to watching part 6, so a little late ot the party with this, but:

"Hello, friends, my name is Darkness. My parents hated me." "Hello, Darkness, my old friend!"

I'm not sorry.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Raitzeno posted:

Finally got around to watching part 6, so a little late ot the party with this, but:

"Hello, friends, my name is Darkness. My parents hated me." "Hello, Darkness, my old friend!"

I'm not sorry.

You're never too late to have fun

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

This time: few duels, lots of exposition and story development.

Next time: many duels, no exposition and story development.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010
Surely your reason for taking on the Meadow Shrine first has to do with something other than a grudge. (Yeah we know what's coming)

Well this is strange, I wonder why none of the soldiers seem to recognize Yami. With a hairstyle like that, how could he not be recognized?

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Ephraim225 posted:

Surely your reason for taking on the Meadow Shrine first has to do with something other than a grudge. (Yeah we know what's coming)

Well this is strange, I wonder why none of the soldiers seem to recognize Yami. With a hairstyle like that, how could he not be recognized?

It's actually solely for grudge-related purposes. Kepuria is one of the few people I didn't grind against because of my disdain for him.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
That sounds promising

Tactless Ogre
Oct 31, 2011

It's actually solely for grudge-related purposes. Kepuria is one of the few people I didn't grind against because of my disdain for him.

Spoiler dude is one hell of a wall and frankly one of the biggest problems in this game (as if someone didn't point out pages ago): Difficulty racks up against you in unholy leaps and bounds. Up until this point in the game, you're fusing up your monsters and then you get to a point with your deck where you know six-eight ways to fuse up a twin-headed thunder dragon. Pegasus can whip out a Meteor Black Dragon on you, but that's very few and far in between. Starting from the low level mages onwards, the twin headed thunder dragon is just commonly played like it's no big deal. You're going to be dealing with monsters backed by an automatic field bonus while you hope you draw into your fusion materials. But Kepuria likes to blast your rear end with a 3750 Gate Guardian boosted by Sogen Said spoiler monster is only available to you by ritual, but they get them out no problem. And the worst part of it? Kepuria is still just the tip of the iceberg. End-Game expects your rear end to be able to know how (and even have the patience and time) to S-Tec Pegasus or other enemies, then have a very specific means and setup to last you for the rest of the game. Grinding DOES help to a degree against some of the mages to get you through this segment and that's if they drop the good stuff instead of getting a loving Karbonala Warrior from an S-POW on the low Meadow Mage, but it still just never loving stops.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Tactless Ogre posted:

Spoiler dude is one hell of a wall and frankly one of the biggest problems in this game (as if someone didn't point out pages ago): Difficulty racks up against you in unholy leaps and bounds. Up until this point in the game, you're fusing up your monsters and then you get to a point with your deck where you know six-eight ways to fuse up a twin-headed thunder dragon. Pegasus can whip out a Meteor Black Dragon on you, but that's very few and far in between. Starting from the low level mages onwards, the twin headed thunder dragon is just commonly played like it's no big deal. You're going to be dealing with monsters backed by an automatic field bonus while you hope you draw into your fusion materials. But Kepuria likes to blast your rear end with a 3750 Gate Guardian boosted by Sogen Said spoiler monster is only available to you by ritual, but they get them out no problem. And the worst part of it? Kepuria is still just the tip of the iceberg. End-Game expects your rear end to be able to know how (and even have the patience and time) to S-Tec Pegasus or other enemies, then have a very specific means and setup to last you for the rest of the game. Grinding DOES help to a degree against some of the mages to get you through this segment and that's if they drop the good stuff instead of getting a loving Karbonala Warrior from an S-POW on the low Meadow Mage, but it still just never loving stops.

Oh I get it, like Tactics Ogre.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010
Pegasus did in fact lose one of his eyes. He's seen bleeding out of his socket when he gets the Millennium Eye, but 4kids painted over the blood.

I always found the Forest Shrine even worse than the Meadow Shrine somehow. I guess I kept getting unlucky with those opponents more often. Anyhow, I should note that even if the computer changes the field back from what you change it to, if they do it, they've wasted their turn, so that's a bit of an advantage.

I have an older video of Labyrinth Wall animations by the way

So how much are you gonna grind Meadow Mage? and what about the optional side event you can get after 2-4 High Mages were beaten

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Ephraim225 posted:

Pegasus did in fact lose one of his eyes. He's seen bleeding out of his socket when he gets the Millennium Eye, but 4kids painted over the blood.

I always found the Forest Shrine even worse than the Meadow Shrine somehow. I guess I kept getting unlucky with those opponents more often. Anyhow, I should note that even if the computer changes the field back from what you change it to, if they do it, they've wasted their turn, so that's a bit of an advantage.

I have an older video of Labyrinth Wall animations by the way

So how much are you gonna grind Meadow Mage? and what about the optional side event you can get after 2-4 High Mages were beaten

Oh my god they bothered to put the Japanese flag on Hungry Burger, that's great. Most people don't even seem to see it in the card art.

As for the optional side event, can you clarify? I was under the impression there were only 7 duels after this point.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

Oh my god they bothered to put the Japanese flag on Hungry Burger, that's great. Most people don't even seem to see it in the card art.

As for the optional side event, can you clarify? I was under the impression there were only 7 duels after this point.

I can't remember if the flag was taken out of the card art in the US art.

There is in fact an optional event. After beating anywhere from two to four High Mages, head to the Duel Grounds. Jono tells you Teana was kidnapped and you and him head off to rescue her. You duel against the (Spoilering this just to be safe) Labyrinth Mage and have to go through that ridiculous maze, which you would have done anyways, but doing it now means you actually don't have to do it in the endgame gauntlet, reducing a 7-round survival gauntlet to a 6-round survival gauntlet...for what it's worth. After that you duel Seto 2, who uses a slightly weaker deck than Seto 3 in the endgame.

So yeah, you get one extra opponent out of it I suppose. I'm surprised you didn't know about it.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Ephraim225 posted:

I can't remember if the flag was taken out of the card art in the US art.

There is in fact an optional event. After beating anywhere from two to four High Mages, head to the Duel Grounds. Jono tells you Teana was kidnapped and you and him head off to rescue her. You duel against the (Spoilering this just to be safe) Labyrinth Mage and have to go through that ridiculous maze, which you would have done anyways, but doing it now means you actually don't have to do it in the endgame gauntlet, reducing a 7-round survival gauntlet to a 6-round survival gauntlet...for what it's worth. After that you duel Seto 2, who uses a slightly weaker deck than Seto 3 in the endgame.

So yeah, you get one extra opponent out of it I suppose. I'm surprised you didn't know about it.

I knew you could reduce the boss rush by one, but I guess it just didn't register that Seto 2 was a different opponent. I made it harder on myself intentionally, no worries.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The thing about Yami using the power of light or whatever genuinely irks me because it contradicts the manga proper. Sure, so does everything else about the Millennium Items in this game, but I can forgive the rest since this came out so early in the manga's run. The light thing contradicts what the manga had said since day one: the Puzzle has the power and knowledge of darkness. The user is literally called Dark Yugi before his real name is known. He uses the power of Dark/Shadow Games.

There's literally nothing about Atem that's directly connected to light until the very end of the series with Horakhty and even there only in its name.

I know that's an incredibly minor thing to point out in this mess of a game but it annoyed me.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Blaze Dragon posted:

I know that's an incredibly minor thing to point out in this mess of a game but it annoyed me.

It's a reasonable thing to be bothered by.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Bigger problems don't excuse smaller ones.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Croccers posted:

The AI basically just flipped the table over here.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Was the pay-off worth it? Of course it was, or I wouldn't have loving recorded it.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Great run, thanks for showing it off. I never would have gotten to the end of this turd myself. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Raitzeno posted:

Great run, thanks for showing it off. I never would have gotten to the end of this turd myself. :v:

It's not a great game.

• Locked thread