Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

TheKirbs posted:

Where did all this star sign stuff come up from?

I played this game a lot when I was young (by which I mean my friend played it for me because gently caress the AI and it's spam of impossibly cheap beat sticks) and for the life of me I can't remember seeing them.

Did they change it for the European version or am I repressing stuff.

The early ygo games all have weird and arbitrary type advantage systems like this. And they're rarely the same twice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The best part of these old games is all the ancient and terrible cards in them from the very first sets. Many of which were never reprinted in Japan and never ported to the TCG.

The OCG hadn't even been out a year when this mess came out in Japan and the "expert" rules everyone's used to had only just been introduced in the manga a few months prior. FM is terrible garbage in a lot of ways but there wasn't much source material to work with.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Apr 5, 2018

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

At this point Duel Monsters was expected to come and go like all the other games in the comic. The previous year they adapted Capsule Monster Chess, the next year they'd be trying to figure out wtf to do with Dungeon Dice Monsters before realizing no one gave a poo poo and getting Takashi to go back to the card game. Gotta sell the shovelware while people are still interested if you want to keep the lights on.

This was neither the first, nor the worst, adaptation of the card game. The first one didn't even have traps to help get rid of the overpowered bullshit the ai would cheat out.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

DeafNote posted:

I heard about this game

The legends did not do it justice

and I already despise grinding for cards in regular YGO games

Most of the cards worth having in this one have single digit in 2048 drop chances if and only if you get A or S rank. Some of these require A Tec, which you can only get for stalling for 30 or so turns while activating lots of spells and not attack or playing monsters in attack position.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Ephraim225 posted:

The exact combination is:

An "Elf" monster, and a "Light" monster, both requiring less than 800 attack (or else you get Dark Witch, Dark Elf, or something)

And only two Elves have less than 800: Wing Egg Elf, and Dancing Elf.

This is a lot more relevant in Duelist of Roses because Mystical Elf has a really strong attack/defense buff effect there.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

GamesAreSupernice posted:

Is Duelists of the Roses actually good? I know it's a direct sequel to this game in name.

It's super janky and has a ton of grind but I guess it's kinda neat.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

PhazonLink posted:

Is Roses very loosely based on The War of Roses?

Yes. They try really hard to beat you over the head with it, too.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Ephraim225 posted:

Roses is grindy if you want to collect all cards or max all your leader ranks. You don't really need to though. Roses is pretty good in my opinion, I just wish they took it another step further in a continuation of it, but that's certainly not going to happen.

Falsebound Kingdom is about as close as we ever got there.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

PenguinKnight posted:

the weirdest thing about this game was that it shipped in a double disk case. little kid me always thought I was missing sonething.

(i was and it was an actually good game)

Didn't it have some lovely promo cards that really wouldn't have fit in a regular case?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

DeafNote posted:

You best not be dissing Zoa and Metalzoa there!

...Oh wait those two cards were taken out of the english release. Nevermind.

(But yes there were promos
http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Yu-Gi-Oh!_True_Duel_Monsters:_Sealed_Memories_promotional_cards)

For some reason I was thinking of the DDS promos. At least Metalmorph was vaguely useful when everyone just had a couple starter decks jammed together.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Blaze Dragon posted:

Is Legacy of the Duelist that good? It seems like a gigantic rip-off that's far more expensive than it has any right to be due to its extreme, completely unjustifiable amount of paid DLC. And you wanted MORE of that?

Do you work for Konami or something?

The dlc is a bunch of little stories for people who really, really like certain parts of the anime or want to run the specific decks they bring to the game and can be safely ignored.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Now's probably not the best time to tout Duel Links' card pool, given that we might as well be in the second tier 0 format in a row. PVP's close to unplayable because it's 90% Sylvans taking 40 years to take a turn. And the next set brings in Spellbooks searching half a dozen times a turn.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Apr 30, 2018

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

one of my farming decks in duel links uses dark flare knight, though that's really just to have an extra boost with union attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

GamesAreSupernice posted:

i didn't even know exodia was in the game

The legs don't drop (gotta push that Pocketstation feature) but the arms drop off basically everyone, albeit at terrible rates. Seto and Heishin both drop the head. The second Heishin fight is the only time the computer uses it and as far as we can tell that video is the only record of it actually working.

• Locked thread