Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010
I'd take Reshef of Destruction over this.

(Then again I ROM hacked RoD to not be awful)

FM speedrunners have actually found an RNG manipulation strategy to net themselves three copies of the game's best monster, so runs of this only take about an hour as opposed to the 3 hours (If you're lucky!) it used to. There's even some semblance of "strategy" due to the various AI manipulations.

...but it's still horrible.

EDIT: Oh yeah for added fun punch in this password: 81179446

Ephraim225 fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Apr 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

GamesAreSupernice posted:

the presentation and variety in fusions, mostly!

For me it's the artwork, the fact that the ~500 monsters are fully animated (including Labyrinth Wall!) and a really nice soundtrack. Without monster effects, the fusion system doesn't shine as well as it should since there's basically only one good fusion...well, two, but one's very easy to make. Thankfully Duelist of the Roses makes pretty good use of the fusion system in my opinion, I've built several decks in that game around it.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010
Ah this guy, wins Time Wizard and he's all "whatever". You can make any dragon into Thousand Dragon with it (2400 attack, can fuse into Twin-Headed, etc.)

And there is a fusion resulting in something with less than 1000 attack, it's Mystical Elf. But it has a stupidly low number of combinations to make it, one of two cards in the entire game are needed.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

What are the two cards?

The exact combination is:

An "Elf" monster, and a "Light" monster, both requiring less than 800 attack (or else you get Dark Witch, Dark Elf, or something)

And only two Elves have less than 800: Wing Egg Elf, and Dancing Elf.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010
Roses is grindy if you want to collect all cards or max all your leader ranks. You don't really need to though. Roses is pretty good in my opinion, I just wish they took it another step further in a continuation of it, but that's certainly not going to happen.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

Kemix posted:

I'd sooner 100% Reshef of Destruction than play this bullshit game. You can at least look up the decks of your opponents and plan a deck around that with whatever element(s) they're weak against, since it uses the Dark Duel Stories element gameplay.

What if they have a Divine Monster? Ahahahahahaha.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

It makes me wonder if this game could've been good, it clearly had effort put into it, but it has so much absolute poo poo and completely terrible decisions in it.

I can think of a few ways it can be made "inoffensive" through a mod (mainly better and more consistent loot tables, and nerfed endgame opponents.) For it to be "good" I think we'd need decent monster effects and making traps more common and not take an entire turn to set.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

GawainStark posted:

I also recently discovered that there was ANOTHER unofficial sequel/ rom-hack made by a completely different team was made called Yu-Gi-Oh Forbidden Memories 2: Phantom Realm which I have yet to try out because I have been burned once by these kinds of things. I found a video of the games first 15 minutes https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bn4HnzwNqM. It um has a different plot at least.

why would anyone willingly replicate the gameplay of FBM?? Even if there were effect monsters there wouldn't be any interesting plays to make because the spells and traps are bland and not interesting enough. On the one hand the changes/expansions to the fusion mechanics are a neat touch, and I don't know if they plan on adding monster effects and a better spell selection, but come on, at least make a clone of Roses if you're going to go so far.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010
I actually think you can lose to Seto here and it won't give a game over. I'm not 100% sure, but if they do that it's probably the one shred of mercy you're gonna get, because I've had Seto use a spell card or two, and big ones, too.

Also, I think the reason lethal conflict gets handled with card games is because the card game is just a gameplay representation of the actual conflict. The monsters on the cards are actually real and can be conjured for real in-universe, so when you're playing friendly matches with the villagers, it's just cards, but if you're playing Heishin, he's bringing them out for real and you're fighting back using magic (you both have Millenium items at that point in the story as well, so easy justification.) But the card game is still the interface the player works with in either case. Which is actually a pretty neat detail if that's the intention of the writers. Of course then you have to ask why there are machine monsters if the idea of a machine hasn't been invented yet, and where to fused cards come from, etc.

...but it's still total bullshit to get a game over for losing to a villager.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010
The computer players in FBM and the first two gameboy games actually have their decks built by taking a pool of cards dependent on the character, and randomly selecting 40 of them, with some cards being more likely to appear than others. This is why a CERTAIN OPPONENT later can potentially get four copies of the same card (impossible for the player). I'm actually shocked Weevil never pulled out a Jirai Gumo for you, though, that card's one of the reasons Weevil is a hurdle for anyone that hasn't used the Flame Cerberus fusion.

Also, I can't claim to know how much forward planning there was, but I doubt Takahashi developed the card game enough to the point that he actually thought out how the duels themselves were to be written, because YGO wasn't originally about cards and cards alone - he even tried to move away from it with that crappy dice game which was dead on arrival because Takahashi is a writer, not a game designer. This is why you hire gaming people for the gaming part of your gaming manga, which has in fact happened in the past.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

SSNeoman posted:

Any chance you could get Labyrinth Wall yourself or is that also a 9999999 star chip monster? That seems like the ultimate wall in this game.

Meteor B. Dragon has 3500 attack so when not on a Wasteland that beats it anyways and we're very close to the special opponent that drops it like crazy

But I've gotten Labyrinth Wall as a random drop from particular opponents.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010
I believe the English dub explicitly went with "Dark".

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010
Surely your reason for taking on the Meadow Shrine first has to do with something other than a grudge. (Yeah we know what's coming)

Well this is strange, I wonder why none of the soldiers seem to recognize Yami. With a hairstyle like that, how could he not be recognized?

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010
Pegasus did in fact lose one of his eyes. He's seen bleeding out of his socket when he gets the Millennium Eye, but 4kids painted over the blood.

I always found the Forest Shrine even worse than the Meadow Shrine somehow. I guess I kept getting unlucky with those opponents more often. Anyhow, I should note that even if the computer changes the field back from what you change it to, if they do it, they've wasted their turn, so that's a bit of an advantage.

I have an older video of Labyrinth Wall animations by the way

So how much are you gonna grind Meadow Mage? and what about the optional side event you can get after 2-4 High Mages were beaten

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

Oh my god they bothered to put the Japanese flag on Hungry Burger, that's great. Most people don't even seem to see it in the card art.

As for the optional side event, can you clarify? I was under the impression there were only 7 duels after this point.

I can't remember if the flag was taken out of the card art in the US art.

There is in fact an optional event. After beating anywhere from two to four High Mages, head to the Duel Grounds. Jono tells you Teana was kidnapped and you and him head off to rescue her. You duel against the (Spoilering this just to be safe) Labyrinth Mage and have to go through that ridiculous maze, which you would have done anyways, but doing it now means you actually don't have to do it in the endgame gauntlet, reducing a 7-round survival gauntlet to a 6-round survival gauntlet...for what it's worth. After that you duel Seto 2, who uses a slightly weaker deck than Seto 3 in the endgame.

So yeah, you get one extra opponent out of it I suppose. I'm surprised you didn't know about it.

• Locked thread