Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I had this game as a child. I never got too far because the game hates the player, but I genuinely enjoyed it. I can't even remotely imagine why, I guess it's because it was the only YGO game back then, and because child me had bad taste seeing how he liked Digimon World 3 too.

I also had no idea monsters had two animations, I learned something new about this shitpile that dares call itself a game and reminds us that Konami didn't start sucking relatively recently, they were always awful, they just shifted in the way they are awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

It's pretty sad that the closest thing I can think of to this game is Digimon Digital Card Battle because that game is genuinely really good and this game is most definitely not. Both have a similar gameplay style (cards, animations, VN-like talking) but DCB has logical rules and doesn't hate the player (mostly, gently caress Garurumon).

It makes me wonder if this game could've been good, it clearly had effort put into it, but it has so much absolute poo poo and completely terrible decisions in it.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

GamesAreSupernice posted:

i'm not playin' forbidden memories because of its quality, in case that's not clear

Well, you clearly are. You aren't playing it because it is GOOD, but you're clearly playing it because of its (complete lack of) quality. Like a Dark Quality of sorts.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Another thing to complain about here: the translation. It's mostly good, but there's this weird thing when it has to print the player's name, it constantly appears as a different line for some reason, like...

Jono: "Did you see the look on his face?
Yami."

There's no reason for this sentence to print like this, yet it does. It doesn't seem they knew how to properly point to the player's name without breaking a sentence, which is weird since that's not exactly hard programming.

Also, "Fiend Refrection #2". Which isn't even excusable by Engrish since its Japanese name is just Mirage.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Is Legacy of the Duelist that good? It seems like a gigantic rip-off that's far more expensive than it has any right to be due to its extreme, completely unjustifiable amount of paid DLC. And you wanted MORE of that?

Do you work for Konami or something?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

GamesAreSupernice posted:

so what does the "D" in Giltia the D. Knight even stand for? i get what the other "D"s are from context, but not that one

It stands for "Konami and/or 4kids should never translate anything ever again".

YGO's translations have always been really iffy even to this day, and it's horrendous.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Twin-headed Thunder Dragon is your best friend in this game until you get to a certain other card (or you RNG manipulate in a TAS to get it from your very first duel).

I didn't remember Villager #1 was that thoughtful though, Egyptian Godsdamn that's unexpectedly deep. Villager #3 isn't bad either, reminds me of how shocked I was when Judai's character in the fourth season of GX was basically "I've gone through so many life-and-death moments that I genuinely can't see card games as something fun anymore".

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The thing about Yami using the power of light or whatever genuinely irks me because it contradicts the manga proper. Sure, so does everything else about the Millennium Items in this game, but I can forgive the rest since this came out so early in the manga's run. The light thing contradicts what the manga had said since day one: the Puzzle has the power and knowledge of darkness. The user is literally called Dark Yugi before his real name is known. He uses the power of Dark/Shadow Games.

There's literally nothing about Atem that's directly connected to light until the very end of the series with Horakhty and even there only in its name.

I know that's an incredibly minor thing to point out in this mess of a game but it annoyed me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I actually really like DarkNite, if only because for some reason his writing is super informal so he comes across as a giant bro and I can imagine that, if he didn't want to enslave/destroy mankind, he'd be a pretty cool friend. It's horribly out of place, but it makes sense because he's out of place, and hey, he's enjoyable like that.

Too bad this game isn't. Great job getting through it, and I'm surprised you didn't get a Meteor Black Dragon

• Locked thread