Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!

Let's Play "Yu-Gi-Oh: Forbidden Memories"

Yu-Gi-Oh: Forbidden Memories is an old-rear end PS1 game born from the deepest hell-pit of capitalism. Rather than wait for the rules of their card game to be finished, Konami decided to jump the gently caress up on their newly acquired Yu-Gi-Oh property immediately and start pounding out games faster than you could buy them. Forbidden Memories is one of those games, in spite of it being released briefly after the card game. It uses prototype rules that were originally being considered when the card game was first being adapted from the manga, and doesn't feature effect monsters, tributing, extra deck monsters, or even basic functions like a Graveyard. It's instead a fairly simple game of "get the larger number", which is a far cry from the complex strategies and mechanics of the real TCG.

Aside from confusing the poo poo out of children everywhere, that isn't too bad by itself. It's a demonstration of Konami's insatiable greed, yes, but the core rules -however hilariously unbalanced- at least function for a videogame, even if they would be loving awful in a person-to-person match. The problem is that the AI is a cheating piece of poo poo and the game expects herculean amounts of grinding from the player. Yes, there are ways to cheat the AI RNG, the card drop ratios, and even duplicate cards, but they require knowledge no normal person playing the game at the time would ever have come across without award-winning levels of research into what makes Konami's black acidic heart tick.

Make no mistake: This is one of the worst games Konami has produced, and thanks to the double-edged miracle of the internet, people have started to forget how horrendously awful it is. You can just look up how to outfox the game these days, but that isn't how it was meant to be played. How it was meant to be played is a trial and error, bash-your-head-against-the-wall fuckfest that deserves nothing less than your absolute disgust.

That being said, there are some things in the actual, core game mechanics worth sharing, in spite of all this stupidity and hostile design. Just don't play the game yourself, goddamn.

Videos

GamesAreSupernice fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jun 7, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Before anyone else points out the error I made: When I said playing Magic Cards instantly ends your turn, I meant it instantly ends your turn if you don't have any monsters on the field before you play it. It's still loving stupid game design.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

I love Legacy of The Duelist, actually

Monk E posted:

Speedruns for this game are amazing because they show off that even if you do the hours of grinding the game expects of you and memorize the obtuse fusion mechanics the rng can and will screw you over anyway.

Someone is trying to submit this awful game to AGDQ

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Chimera-gui posted:

I honestly wish the remaining Arcana Force cards from the anime would finally become actual tcg cards.

Wasn't that archetype from GX?

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

You shouldn't need frame-perfect RNG manipulation to make a game playable

Ephraim225 posted:

I'd take Reshef of Destruction over this.

(Then again I ROM hacked RoD to not be awful)

FM speedrunners have actually found an RNG manipulation strategy to net themselves three copies of the game's best monster, so runs of this only take about an hour as opposed to the 3 hours (If you're lucky!) it used to. There's even some semblance of "strategy" due to the various AI manipulations.

...but it's still horrible.

EDIT: Oh yeah for added fun punch in this password: 81179446

Reshef is too much for me, but I thank you for the romhack, I've shared it with others

Lizard Wizard posted:

Today is the 20th anniversary of the anime. Did you do that on purpose?

No, I respect Yu-Gi-Oh more than that

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

get that OUT of my face posted:

Somebody already did an LP of this, and from that I learned of the many, many layers of bullshit Forbidden Memories has. The computer actually has the ability to change a card in its hand to gently caress you over.

Good luck with this.

I intend to show off the card animations and several deck builds, but yeah, I'm familiar with the game's cheating

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Most of Konami's good games seem to have come from them leeching on creative people, because their original products generally are very poor quality

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Raitzeno posted:

This looks like a fantastic LP. I have played Forbidden Memories. I think I still have the disc in its box, somewhere. I'm not entirely sure where you found positives worth sharing, because I sure as hell didn't.

the presentation and variety in fusions, mostly!

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Ephraim225 posted:

For me it's the artwork, the fact that the ~500 monsters are fully animated (including Labyrinth Wall!) and a really nice soundtrack. Without monster effects, the fusion system doesn't shine as well as it should since there's basically only one good fusion...well, two, but one's very easy to make. Thankfully Duelist of the Roses makes pretty good use of the fusion system in my opinion, I've built several decks in that game around it.

I think most of the things you listed fall under presentation, but yeah, I definitely agree!

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

You might've just been able to ignore the signs by skimming over them and spamming X. I also did that as a kid

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

dis astranagant posted:

The OCG hadn't even been out a year when this mess came out in Japan and the "expert" rules everyone's used to had only just been introduced in the manga a few months prior. FM is terrible garbage in a lot of ways but there wasn't much source material to work with.

I think Konami should've been a bit more patient

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

I mean, I intend to win the duels on the first go most of the time, since I've already spent 25 hours unlocking every fun card

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

I meant no offense to transgender persons, this was simply the least offensive way I could think to word Konami's plainly idiotic choice in fusion categories for this game.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Ephraim225 posted:

Ah this guy, wins Time Wizard and he's all "whatever". You can make any dragon into Thousand Dragon with it (2400 attack, can fuse into Twin-Headed, etc.)

And there is a fusion resulting in something with less than 1000 attack, it's Mystical Elf. But it has a stupidly low number of combinations to make it, one of two cards in the entire game are needed.

What are the two cards?

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Is Duelists of the Roses actually good? I know it's a direct sequel to this game in name.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

dis astranagant posted:

It's super janky and has a ton of grind but I guess it's kinda neat.

Oof, I do hate grinding. Why can't the other games be like Legacy of The Duelist and hurl new cards at you like it's trying to get rid of excess stock?

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

I dislike Falsebound Kingdom with a passion, but I will admit it's not half as awful as this.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Kemix posted:

I'd sooner 100% Reshef of Destruction than play this bullshit game. You can at least look up the decks of your opponents and plan a deck around that with whatever element(s) they're weak against, since it uses the Dark Duel Stories element gameplay.

I'm surprised how many people find Reshef more tolerable than Forbidden Memories

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

phantom realm's presentation is adorable

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Lord_Magmar posted:

Duelist of the Roses is actually a really fun and solid game and doesn't really need grinding for the most basic of stuff, if you know what you're doing.

Because it's a strategy field game you can do a lot with worse cards than just about any other Yugioh game. This also means it is a game you should play instead of this game.

Also it has Henry (Yugi) Tudor. Pic related.

i'm not playin' forbidden memories because of its quality, in case that's not clear

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Blaze Dragon posted:

Well, you clearly are. You aren't playing it because it is GOOD, but you're clearly playing it because of its (complete lack of) quality. Like a Dark Quality of sorts.

"dark quality" is my favorite yugioh card

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

buckle up for some long-rear end cutscenes

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Yu-Gi-Oh will soon overtake baseball

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

you're allowed to input your own name, i just put in "Yami"

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

i doubt anyone on the dev team thought about it as much as you are, ephraim

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Blaze Dragon posted:

Also, "Fiend Refrection #2". Which isn't even excusable by Engrish since its Japanese name is just Mirage.

i think they were just taking the piss with that one

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

bandit keith is my hero

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

SSNeoman posted:

So did you get any trap cards in your grinding spree?

no, not one

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

i think the newer shows/manga are far better in terms of consistency in character development and duels, and i don't miss kazuki's direct involvement even a little

the series' post-GX have core themes and interesting characters and all that poo poo, even if they clearly struggle from being an episode-a-week affair that come out well before the card game can catch up

the most complex character in original YGO is kaiba and he's just egotistical and eccentric

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

they have a ton of traps that lower your monsters' atk, but yes, they also have fake traps

BioEnchanted posted:

I always thought that the developers missed a trick in marketing - I'd have bought the hell out of a plastic/wooden replica of the Millennium puzzle - it wouldn't even have to be Yu Gi Oh fans buying it - a physical puzzle would need to be designed, certainly, but it has appeal outside the core demographic and could be fun to assemble.

also I personally find it funny how mad you sound all the time during this LP - you can really tell you hate this game with a passion.

i do everything passionately

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

i'll cut you down to size!

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Raitzeno posted:

The manga would've totally had him rolling around screaming in agony.

this sentence is very correct

DeafNote posted:

Oh yeah Shadi sure seems like the guy who'd be up for a cardgame tournament

shadi's all about having fun and chilling out at the schoolyard

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Blaze Dragon posted:

Is Legacy of the Duelist that good? It seems like a gigantic rip-off that's far more expensive than it has any right to be due to its extreme, completely unjustifiable amount of paid DLC. And you wanted MORE of that?

Do you work for Konami or something?

it's a 1 to 1 simulation with around 6000 cards (pre-DLC), and it pretty much throws said cards at you, so you can forego grinding and have fun making decks

i also played it around 20 hours without the dlc, and it was 20 bucks, so yeah, i'd say it was worth it

when compared to the price of the real life card game, i think it's pretty reasonable

sure, it won't ever receive cards i really like, like Dimension Guardian, but it has enough for me at least

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

if we're playing the YGOPRO card, YGOPRO still has more bugs than Legacy of The Duelist

also the AI in legacy of the duelist can't ragequit on me

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

You ever seen an upside-down Golden Pyramid?

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Rigged Death Trap posted:

All the yugioh games have amazing goddamn music. The only reason i enjoyed a lot of Konami budget and tie-in games is music.

And there is ritual support. A lot of ritual support.
Generic ritual spell and mosnter search, monsters that give effects if tributed for rituals, and recently a literal one-card ritual enabler.

Something I've noticed about games and fictional media in general is that -no matter how terrible the overall product is- the composers seem to be having an absolute blast.

I play a lot of ritual monsters, and they're my favorite type of card, I was mostly attempting to be self-depreciating. I know the wonders of Advanced Ritual Summon and pre-pre-pre-pre-pre-preparation of rites.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

DeafNote posted:

yeah the latest Yugioh show was absolute garbage after a while

still got the soundtrack

also useless fusion monsters have some use actually
thanks to Instant Fusion, they can be free fodder for synchro, XYZ or Link Summons! :suicide:

(also using Fusion Weapon on Dark Flare Knight, when Dark Flare Knight's effect is to die. Thats some psychological warfare right there)

Mirage Knight's effect banishes him, i think, but you can use dark flare knight for actual battle even if you're not meant to

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Labyrinth Wall is super easy to run over if you're using a deck meant to win the game, yeah

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Croccers posted:

Youtube suggested this Speedrun Fail video since I've been watching these:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tUj5F5mV5M&t=603s

i didn't even know exodia was in the game

ApeHawk posted:

After you finish this LP, I would love to see you do LotD, especially the challenge decks.

i really like LotD but i'm not sure if i'll do the challenge decks, since i had the most fun making janky custom decks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

so what does the "D" in Giltia the D. Knight even stand for? i get what the other "D"s are from context, but not that one

• Locked thread