Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
I heard about this game

The legends did not do it justice

and I already despise grinding for cards in regular YGO games

DeafNote fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Apr 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

dis astranagant posted:

Didn't it have some lovely promo cards that really wouldn't have fit in a regular case?

You best not be dissing Zoa and Metalzoa there!

...Oh wait those two cards were taken out of the english release. Nevermind.

(But yes there were promos
http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Yu-Gi-Oh!_True_Duel_Monsters:_Sealed_Memories_promotional_cards)

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
edit: Not sure how that happened

DeafNote fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Apr 10, 2018

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Now I am curious what the japanese translation calls the prince (and even at this point, they should have known he was a pharaoh already)
Because 'Yami' sure as hell is not his true name.

Also the music is also pretty good for this game

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Of course ancient egyptians using the trading cards is still 'what'

GamesAreSupernice posted:

you're allowed to input your own name, i just put in "Yami"

I stand corrected

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Ephraim225 posted:

Also, I can't claim to know how much forward planning there was, but I doubt Takahashi developed the card game enough to the point that he actually thought out how the duels themselves were to be written, because YGO wasn't originally about cards and cards alone - he even tried to move away from it with that crappy dice game which was dead on arrival because Takahashi is a writer, not a game designer. This is why you hire gaming people for the gaming part of your gaming manga, which has in fact happened in the past.

I quite liked dungeon dice
even if the way that duel ended was better in the anime than the manga and the HP system was better than another ATK/DEF setup

and whether or not he had help designing the game in the manga (and he certainly took notes from the real life game once battle city started)
he wrote better duels than a lot of the later show writers

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
I will admit character wise, the later shows stand out more.
It helps when you have a core group of friends who can all duel.

But I do miss Kazuki's interesting ideas for duels itself. I suppose it helps when you have less duels to write out, but each one felt unique in its own way and there were a lot less filler/onehitwonder cards.
(Though deck consistency was better later on, given that archetypes become more of the norm, but even then the later YGO Protags always end up with bloated decks and you end up with duelists who duel with CURRY CUPS)

regardless both are more interesting to watch than these duels where everyone seems to have whatever monster

But I can see why the animations draw people in.

edit: speaking of which, what even are the traps the enemy gets
if they arent gonna use them?

DeafNote fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Apr 17, 2018

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Oh yeah Shadi sure seems like the guy who'd be up for a cardgame tournament

also dont remind me about Duel Links.
Not that stuff has even infected the shows.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
yeah the latest Yugioh show was absolute garbage after a while

still got the soundtrack

also useless fusion monsters have some use actually
thanks to Instant Fusion, they can be free fodder for synchro, XYZ or Link Summons! :suicide:

(also using Fusion Weapon on Dark Flare Knight, when Dark Flare Knight's effect is to die. Thats some psychological warfare right there)

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

SSNeoman posted:

Are you talking about VRAINS? What's wrong with it?

And if OP is cool with it, I wanna hear about people's gimmick decks! Post that poo poo yo!

I meant ARC-V. VRAINS doesnt even have a soundtrack release scheduled yet (despite it using the same guy from DM)

also I never had much gimmick decks, I only started playing once archetypes started to dominate
Gravekeepers being my old passion

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Giltia is not even a dark type
Nothing will be as funny as "Lord of D" anyway

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
It was the Viz Manga that used the name 'Giltia the Dark Knight'

also Hi REBD
Bye REBD