Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

santanotreal posted:

No. Please no new map ever. New maps is where BR games go to die.

What BR game died when they released a new map?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
i've learned 2 things from playing snipers: don't build straight up if you don't have a launch pad to get back down to ground level later, and impulse grenades are by far the best weapon in the game

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.
Would it kill the game if you didn't let players choose the map? Just throw a second one in the rotation and whatever you get is whatever the server you get stuck on has?

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

keyframe posted:

What BR game died when they released a new map?

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay

fargom
Mar 21, 2007

santanotreal posted:

No. Please no new map ever. New maps is where BR games go to die.

Is this like some sort of super bad take or is there a large history of BR type games doing this and then failing that I am completely unaware ever existed?

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Kiranamos posted:

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay

:w00t:

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

If they put in a new map I would appreciate if they'd let me choose which one.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
I think hes referring to a bad desert map.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

fargom posted:

Is this like some sort of super bad take or is there a large history of BR type games doing this and then failing that I am completely unaware ever existed?

Mostly hyperbole. I don’t want a new map to learn and deal with, and new maps split the player base.

ColHannibal posted:

I think hes referring to a bad desert map.

And also this.

Bettyspagh3tt1
Jan 24, 2009
For sure add Kraftyy to the good streamers to watch list. Kraftyy GOAT.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Bettyspagh3tt1 posted:

For sure add Kraftyy to the good streamers to watch list. Kraftyy GOAT.

He's really good, but I honestly think HighDistortion is better than anyone out there. Really chill streams as well, which is refreshing.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Seditiar posted:

He's really good, but I honestly think HighDistortion is better than anyone out there. Really chill streams as well, which is refreshing.

Streamer betterness comparisons are lame. Anyways, I wouldn’t particularly recommend HighDistortion to OP because his entire commentary consists of complaining.

Much like Daequan who does two things, complaining or clinging to his platonic ideal of Fortnite meta, double pump.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Streamer betterness comparisons are lame. Anyways, I wouldn’t particularly recommend HighDistortion to OP because his entire commentary consists of complaining.

Much like Daequan who does two things, complaining or clinging to his platonic ideal of Fortnite meta, double pump.

Eh, I don't see how it's any different as saying X player is better than Y player in basically any game. As for consisting of complaining, I haven't really noticed that a whole lot, apart from the few salty games. But everyone has salty games sometimes.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
skip past two or three maps and implement infinite procedurally generated maps. the assets used for the current map are already duplicated everywhere, so it's not like repetitive design would be that much of an issue. present the generated map in the pre-game section and let people deduce the most/least crowded areas and the spots that might have the best treasure every time

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
“Splits the player base” is the dumbest poo poo ever when you’re talking about the most popular game in the world and the maps aren’t paid dlc or something. Every good multiplayer game in the world has multiple maps and modes but people are scared of it in this game because the previous BR games that sucked did it poorly. Even if they were separate queues it would not be close to an issue when you have this many players. They could literally have 5 maps and 5 modes each with their own queue and be fine.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Seditiar posted:

Eh, I don't see how it's any different as saying X player is better than Y player in basically any game. As for consisting of complaining, I haven't really noticed that a whole lot, apart from the few salty games. But everyone has salty games sometimes.

It's not about salty games, it's that he always just moans and moans and moans "I wish Epic would drop everything they do and fix bugs". We get it, man, there's not need that to repeat it day in day out every time something unsightly happens. In other words, there's hardly ever anything I'd call positive on his stream, in my experience. I still watch him for plays and strats, but it never has or will be my chill stream.

As for X is better than Y, in my opinion there's no meaningful difference between normal players watching Myth, Dakotaz, Kraffty, Ninja, Shroud, HighDistortion, Daequan, NICKMERCS, KingRichard, etcetera. They all are so far out there that any real or perceived difference in their skill levels is neither observable nor can be taken advantage of past their general styles, like Krafty's 20 second ziggurats on an empty spot vs Ninja's trick shots requiring less fear than water in Sahara vs Shroud's flicks at limit of human reaction times.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
I wouldn’t mind if different parts of the map were rotated in and out, like removing dusty depot and replacing it with a new place to explore, as an example.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

santanotreal posted:

I wouldn’t mind if different parts of the map were rotated in and out, like removing dusty depot and replacing it with a new place to explore, as an example.

I hope the meteor theory is real and there will be crater in place of Twisted Towers. As much as I love dropping there, it is not healthy for the map meta.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Bottom Liner posted:

“Splits the player base” is the dumbest poo poo ever when you’re talking about the most popular game in the world and the maps aren’t paid dlc or something. Every good multiplayer game in the world has multiple maps and modes but people are scared of it in this game because the previous BR games that sucked did it poorly. Even if they were separate queues it would not be close to an issue when you have this many players. They could literally have 5 maps and 5 modes each with their own queue and be fine.

Yeah, that’s assuming the player base stays this high forever. But new maps detract people while splitting the player base. And instead of learning the new map, a lot of people move on to the next flashy game. And people move on to new games all the time anyways. For long term success, they need to find a different way to keep people playing. And I think new maps are the opposite of that.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

cinci zoo sniper posted:

It's not about salty games, it's that he always just moans and moans and moans "I wish Epic would drop everything they do and fix bugs". We get it, man, there's not need that to repeat it day in day out every time something unsightly happens. In other words, there's hardly ever anything I'd call positive on his stream, in my experience. I still watch him for plays and strats, but it never has or will be my chill stream.

As for X is better than Y, in my opinion there's no meaningful difference between normal players watching Myth, Dakotaz, Kraffty, Ninja, Shroud, HighDistortion, Daequan, NICKMERCS, KingRichard, etcetera. They all are so far out there that any real or perceived difference in their skill levels is neither observable nor can be taken advantage of past their general styles, like Krafty's 20 second ziggurats on an empty spot vs Ninja's trick shots requiring less fear than water in Sahara vs Shroud's flicks at limit of human reaction times.

Guess we just prefer different vibed streams.

As for the difference for "normal" players, you don't have to be top 1% to see a difference. I agree that they're all way above the average player though.

santanotreal posted:

Yeah, that’s assuming the player base stays this high forever. But new maps detract people while splitting the player base. And instead of learning the new map, a lot of people move on to the next flashy game. And people move on to new games all the time anyways. For long term success, they need to find a different way to keep people playing. And I think new maps are the opposite of that.

PUBG's map is 4 times bigger than the one in Fortnite. If you've played for hundreds of hours already, you'll learn a new fortnite map within a week easily.

I'm honestly hoping the Llamas are a test for chests being randomly placed as well (just not as random). That way you won't have to learn a map so thoroughly because chest spawns aren't relevant anymore. And chests are easily the most time consuming part to learn of a map, imo.

Seditiar fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Apr 3, 2018

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Seditiar posted:

As for the difference for "normal" players, you don't have to be top 1% to see a difference. I agree that they're all way above the average player though.

I challenge anyone to objectively describe how any of the streamers I mentioned is an objectively less skilled player than any other of them, in a way that lends to an argument for/against watching any of the two. Unless it'll be a comedy aim comparison between NICKMERCS and Shroud.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I challenge anyone to objectively describe how any of the streamers I mentioned is an objectively less skilled player than any other of them, in a way that lends to an arguments for/against watching any of the two. Unless it'll be a comedy aim comparison between NICKMERCS and Shroud.

I didn't actually recommend HD for the OP, as I don't think he's good new player material to watch. As for wanting new strats, Ninja is very chaotic in building so he's not really a good example imo, unless you want to make it work like him as well.

As for actual objectively looking at things, all you can do is look at stats really. But stats aren't entirely accurate either, as there's no ranked matches so it mostly boils down to sheer number of games played.

Edit: It's really easy in CS:GO though, because they face off against each other nearly weekly. And you really don't have to be a top tier player to see some pros are leagues above others.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Seditiar posted:

I didn't actually recommend HD for the OP, as I don't think he's good new player material to watch. As for wanting new strats, Ninja is very chaotic in building so he's not really a good example imo, unless you want to make it work like him as well.

As for actual objectively looking at things, all you can do is look at stats really. But stats aren't entirely accurate either, as there's no ranked matches so it mostly boils down to sheer number of games played.

Edit: It's really easy in CS:GO though, because they face off against each other nearly weekly. And you really don't have to be a top tier player to see some pros are leagues above others.

:nallears: So we are saying the same thing after all.

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003
Anyone on ps4 want to duo or squad up?

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

cinci zoo sniper posted:

:nallears: So we are saying the same thing after all.

Yeah.. I guess we do. :v:

I do think it's important to make the distinction that HD is really great to watch if you want ~serious~ tactics/insight of the game. Whereas someone like Ninja for example, is pretty terrible to watch if you want to actually improve in the game. Watching someone have just sick aim (and in this case incredibly chaotic building as well), won't improve your own aim/building. Streamers like Myth, Kraftyy and HD are a lot better to watch for improving your own gameplay/decision making.

There's no doubt in my mind that Ninja can play relaxed/tactical and still be one of the best, but he just doesn't really do it on streams. And I can't blame him, if I were that good and playing a game without any ranking system whatsoever, I'd start doing a lot of random poo poo as well just to handicap myself a little bit and get more entertainment out of it.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Seditiar posted:

Yeah.. I guess we do. :v:

I do think it's important to make the distinction that HD is really great to watch if you want ~serious~ tactics/insight of the game. Whereas someone like Ninja for example, is pretty terrible to watch if you want to actually improve in the game. Watching someone have just sick aim (and in this case incredibly chaotic building as well), won't improve your own aim/building. Streamers like Myth, Kraftyy and HD are a lot better to watch for improving your own gameplay/decision making.

There's no doubt in my mind that Ninja can play relaxed/tactical and still be one of the best, but he just doesn't really do it on streams. And I can't blame him, if I were that good and playing a game without any ranking system whatsoever, I'd start doing a lot of random poo poo as well just to handicap myself a little bit and get more entertainment out of it.

Agreed. I think flashy players like Ninja and Shroud may be somewhat valueable just to try to get your self out of "optimal strats" and try having serious fun, but definitely not mindful learning streams. If you want to learn, Myth/HD/Krafty are all great and well rounded players in my opinion. I would recommend against KingRichard and Daequan because they are Mr. Sniper and Mr. Shotgun respectively. Not sure about Dakotaz, reddit circlejerk likes him but the 5 minutes on his stream felt like Twitch sandpaper to me so I didn't bother much further.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Agreed. I think flashy players like Ninja and Shroud may be somewhat valueable just to try to get your self out of "optimal strats" and try having serious fun, but definitely not mindful learning streams. If you want to learn, Myth/HD/Krafty are all great and well rounded players in my opinion. I would recommend against KingRichard and Daequan because they are Mr. Sniper and Mr. Shotgun respectively. Not sure about Dakotaz, reddit circlejerk likes him but the 5 minutes on his stream felt like Twitch sandpaper to me so I didn't bother much further.

Richard is a chill stream as well imo, but agreed on the preferential weapons. I typed out some poo poo about Ninja/Daequan mostly using shotties and Richard/Lupo being mostly glued to snipe-y weapons, but then I remembered I don't really watch them often enough anymore to actually know if they still do that.

I like Dakotaz when I just hear him on Discord via another streamer, and he's really good as well. But I can't really watch him on his own stream, he honestly cannot keep quiet for even a few seconds, and I just don't really like hyper streams. TimTheTatman is about the only exception, and I still don't know why. I just don't mind his yelling for some weird reason. :v:

(He's no pro player by any means though, not to the extent of other named on this page anyway).

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Dakotaz voice is grating as gently caress too. He sounds like he's struggling to hold in a fart when talking.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
Tim and Dakotaz are both enjoyable if they’re interacting with another streamer. On their own, they get old quickly

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

teagone posted:

Dakotaz voice is grating as gently caress too. He sounds like he's struggling to hold in a fart when talking.

I've heard people saying he sounds like Badger from Breaking Bad, I thought it was pretty accurate.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Continuing streamer chat, what's the thread's preference for solo/duo/squad streamrs? I have no idea why, but I loathe watching non-solo streams unless it's like Ninja with Drake or Ninja with Shroud or some other hot shot celeb stuff.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Continuing streamer chat, what's the thread's preference for solo/duo/squad streamrs? I have no idea why, but I loathe watching non-solo streams unless it's like Ninja with Drake or Ninja with Shroud or some other hot shot celeb stuff.

I like HD + Dakotaz, they're almost the entirely opposite personality wise, but they average each other out pretty nicely. Tim + Ninja was neat as well, but is pretty rare. Tim + reaver is enjoyable, too. Tim works pretty well with most other streamers actually, a lot of them do.

Now that I'm thinking about it, I think I mostly just hate non-solos with 1 streamer and filled with non-streamers. If both are streaming then it's generally pretty great to watch.

E: I like Summit + Chad as well. I mostly watch solo squads, though.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Anyone keep up with King Richard or SypherPK? Been watching them while weighing whether or not to get into Fortnite. KR seems pretty chill during his late night streams.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Calvin and Kayuun are a good duo.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Scyantific posted:

Anyone keep up with King Richard or SypherPK? Been watching them while weighing whether or not to get into Fortnite. KR seems pretty chill during his late night streams.

KingRichard is great to watch as well. He does get way too salty at stream snipers at time though. (HD does as well).

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Scyantific posted:

I watch SypherPK a fair bit. Dude is chill, never tilts, and occasionally does educational bits during his Fortnite streams, examining his play for the chat. I'd argue he's the best at doing quick building edits too. Fun to watch if you want to see high IQ building.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah I used to dump on Sypher back when he bailed on school to stream ESO full time. Good to know he's made it tho.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Scyantific posted:

Yeah I used to dump on Sypher back when he bailed on school to stream ESO full time. Good to know he's made it tho.

He actually talked about this during one stream, dropping out of school and how his stream was a struggle. Fortnite is really what helped propel him into becoming a legit successful streamer.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Him and KR both started out streaming ESO, which really wasn't conducive to streaming given how chaotic ESO was back during the day. They really started making progress once they left the game and moved on to true PvP based games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Scyantific posted:

Yeah him and KR both started out streaming ESO, which really wasn't conducive to streaming given how chaotic ESO was back during the day. They really started making progress once they left the game and moved on to true PvP based games.

Speaking of moving, Krafty was basically like that. He was bigshot Destiny streamer, but then Destiny 2 happened and he'd basically be over were it not for Fortnite swinging around.