Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Is there any ETA on when the PvE mode is supposed to go f2p? I want to mess around with it but $40 is way too steep an entry price. I don't understand why there isn't a $10-20ish barebones buy-in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Is there like a guide to not sucking at the game? Other players always seem to land faster than me, find me really easily, build faster and better, etc. I can't ever tell what weapons are good or not either, the colors don't seem to mean much? Just some kind of video guide about basics and slightly advanced stuff would help a lot. I feel kind of lost.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Apple Craft posted:

The pickaxe is a pretty nice one. The dance is great. And while the skin isn't the best, at least it doesn't have purple poo poo on it like one of the last batch.

None of these twitch skins have had enough purple on them

They're all so generic

At least the new one is a girl instead of Soldier Dude #58

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

In a game where they could basically do whatever they want with making skins, like 70% of the stuff in BR is soldier dudes

I'm sure it appeals to some people, they wouldn't keep doing it if those skins didn't sell, but it's just so boring

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

yeah i meant 'soldier dudes' in the generic non-gendered dude sense. the last twitch pack was two male ones though which was weird, im glad this one has a woman in it, but shes still a kind of generic soldier and im just not a fan of that stuff

sorry if i confused people. i know theres other stuff- ive bought some of the other skins- but it feels like they're still drowned out quite a bit by the soldier gear reskin stuff. some of the reskins are colorful and have cute themes but they're still a lot of pouches and gear. appropriate for the game but samey looking after a while even in other colors

when they get creative they make some really fun skins though

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Blorknorg posted:

I got kind of frustrated when they removed the daily punchcards again, because it made daily exp farming much less simple than it was less season.

Also worth noting for people who owned Save the World version: You get a lump sum of new items for logging in because the PVE "released" today I guess.

yeah they bumped everyone's Founders Thing up a tier. if you had the highest tier you get some new challenge pack thing and like 8000 vbucks.

been playing this a lot during quarantine too. I'm really enjoying the new season so far, the summer theme is a lot of fun and the waterworld type map is cool. looking forward to seeing stuff change over the course of the season since it seems like there's going to be a big emphasis on that for this one (water eventually draining and introduction of cars and trucks and stuff as driveable)

Also a datamine thing revealed that theres going to be some sort of July 4th event involving a captain america skin and his shield as a backbling and pickaxe, maybe more Marvel stuff and im excited for that.

Sea Lily fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jul 1, 2020

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

New season starts the 27th and it's going to be... interesting. Teaser image on Twitter shows Thor and a purpley space background.

Leaks:
Thor, Groot, Storm, and Wolverine skins are likely in the battlepass. wolvie might be sold on his own instead, leaker wasn't sure. Mjolnir pickaxe for Thor and adamantium claws pickaxe for Wolverine.

Whole battlepass will be Marvel stuff, might have some Fortnite skin variants too. 'Wolverine' outfit Peely with bananas for claws was at least considered and might be a thing?

there will also be an Avengers themed location added to the map. A rift is opening over catty corner so it may be there?

Galactus is involved somehow in the storyline this season too.

Creative lead on the game also said that the storyline is going into overdrive this season so I guess things are about to get real weird

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Galactus event is supposed to be like the biggest, flashiest, most involved event theyve ever done so I'm excited to see it. helps that i love Marvel stuff

i may need to bring Batman to fight him though

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Nullsmack posted:

ugh, reading that makes it pretty clear that it's happening at that odd time when a lot of people are not going to be available to see it.
Reading some of the (not even specific) leaks, they've added back some files from the black hole event among others so it seems like they might disable the game for some time after the event. Hopefully not 3 days like that event.

based on datamined stuff, the game will be throwing up a TO BE CONTINUED... IN SEASON 5! at the end of the event and the game will indeed be down for a bit before the new season starts on the 3rd

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Season 5 launcher image leaked, direct from EGS servers.

The upcoming season is back to standard Fortnite-original content, with the single collab skin being the Mandalorian with The Child as a backbling/pet.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Master Chief is in the files now, he'll be the next skin in the Gaming Legends series after Kratos.

Odds seem good that we'll see a Nintendo character after that. My money's on Samus.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

MarcusSA posted:

I thought we were gonna get master chief??

we are, probably after Kratos leaves the shop

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

MarcusSA posted:

Ah ok. I wasn’t sure if it was platform specific and I just missed it.

Hopefully he looks cool. I wasn’t sold on Kratos.

yeah like Kratos he won't be platform-specific. and he's gonna be a whole set with grav hammer pickaxe, pelican glider, and an emote of driving a tiny warthog around

his render's in the files alongside Kratos already:

and there's supposed to be a CTF ltm event for him too, as well as red and blue styles for the skin. dont know if those are unlockables like Kratos's PS5 style or just options included with the MC skin

the 'Gaming Legends' series these two are part of isnt gonna end with master chief either so expect some other big video game people later on. this is just the only other one that leaked so far.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Jaster posted:

Winterfest is up, and... it's a series of limited time quests of varying difficulty? Gotta say, last year's Advent Calendar style free presents was, uh... a lot nicer.

it's one new quest a day and you get a unique thing for completing each day's quest. it's basically the same, just with a worse presentation

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Supposedly the Samus thing fell apart because Nintendo wouldn't agree to let the skin be on all platforms and only wanted it visible on the Switch. Fortnite doesn't work that way, so it just didn't happen.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Vandar posted:

The trailer for the new battlepass leaked out Friday.

Spider-Man, Gears of War, and the Foundation are the big skins on the pass.

As far as new things on the island go, it looks like random weather effects like a tornado and a thunderstorm can happen now. Also the sliding mechanic is FINALLY in game, and Spidey's web-shooters are a usable item.

New chapter is looking great!

while spider-man is in the battlepass, the gears of war characters are not. they're probably cash shop.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Vandar posted:

They dropped the ball on this Matrix collab.

How the hell are you going to do a Matrix collab and not actually give us skins? :argh:

i have a feeling skins are coming but are being held back a little bit, since they're probably outfits from the latter portion of the film (which they avoided showing in trailers). but maybe im wrong!

the emotes are extremely good at least

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Mix. posted:

Seen some theories theyre gonna do a START of season event to mix things up for a change. Would be funny if there was just. Nothing tho

they've done this before- its not a bad way to go if the focus is on "a big thing kicks off the new season" rather than "a big thing ends the current season".

we may just not get an event though. not every season has one, especially if they're working on some really really big one coming up

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Nullsmack posted:

I think it was just a few frames from a gif that had him in it. It was a test of something animated they did that slipped through to a shipping build I guess, the only way you could see it was by datamining the files. People have memed it and turned it into clickbait ever since.

it was for a 'tv screen' backbling test-run, what eventually became the Street Fighter 2 arcade cabinet backbling, yeah. no peter models or sounds or anything like that.

another fun thing that was never used: there were a bunch of audio clips that seemed to be set up to be like voice callout style shouts, all of them were lines from movies and stuff. Get to the choppah, obi wan saying 'hello there' and 'i have the high ground', that kind of like goofy memeable taunt stuff. Not only were these never used but whatever 'shout' concept they were made for seems to have been abandoned.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

from all the stuff leaked about it, it's kind of wild that Fortnite Festival seems to be like almost straight-up just Rock Band 5, including terminology like Overdrive and Expert difficulty being able to gold star songs

if anyone's wondering, Fortnite Festival's pass is not going to have the fomo thing going on with items in it, though. all of them will be able to be in the cash shop later on. though apparently they'll be more expensive individually than they were as part of the Festival pass, which makes some sense. typical bundle savings stuff.

kind of a bummer that the fortnite subscription thing doesn't cover the cost of the Festival pass, but given how expensive it can be to do licensed music for games like this on a large Rock Band/Guitar Hero style scale I'm not surprised they had to separate it out. the free tiers giving non-licensed songs is good at least.

butter barn hoedown is gonna be the best rhythm game song of all time

maybe time for a new thread title though? given how much the game's changed since back when this thread was made

Sea Lily fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Dec 9, 2023

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

that's the thing I'm waiting to see, I guess

Drums should work fine, just gotta map the buttons properly. But guitar/bass aren't as satisfying without the strumming

It's Harmonix, maybe they'll work that in. But I'm not optimistic strumming will be supported

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

PriorMarcus posted:

If I cancel Crew today does the Battlepass stay mine?

yes, your subscription-granted stuff sticks around (including the battlepass and vbucks), and your full month can even overlap with next month's Crew skin stuff if you subscribed at the right time

plenty of times i've subscribed for one month just to get the bp and the skin, and ended up getting the next month's skin too without subbing for a second month

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

off-hand torch can keep you warm at night or in normal caves, but there's cold-climate areas (including cold-climate caves) where it's not enough and you need to either have charms or spicy food to keep warm enough to avoid damage.

same goes for using charms or cold-related food to keep cool in hot-climate areas. might be more ways to mitigate this stuff too, just haven't seen any yet myself.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Fortnite is pay 2 femme

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

i'd like weapon mods more if dropped weapons were standardized but there were a lot more mod benches around the map for us to use, instead of the current setup.

i dont like picking up a gun and not knowing how it's going to behave. i do like modifying weapons. there's a better way to handle weapon mods than how it works right now.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

I'm a sucker for Back to the Future, but lucky for me I got the Delorean right when it was added to Rocket League years and years ago, when it was like... $10? I think? Maybe less?

So it's nice that I should just have it in Fortnite whenever that gets added. Hopefully alongside a Marty McFly skin with a hoverboard glider or something.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Toph with a gun

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOAiUwz7Zt8

collab skin for this season's BP is Korra from avatar. looks like bending is going to be added too, which lines up with a recent leak that there's going to be a Last Airbender mini-pass mid-season with Aang in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Futaba Anzu posted:

is this gimmick going to work in no build? do they even enable it in no build?

It's a wholly separate mode, Floor Is Lava. Won't happen in normal BR matches.