Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

OzyMandrill posted:

So.. my little boy is desperate to play this so I want to play with him. I tried one game, killed 2 people and died as #17, but still mostly clueless. Any advice for complete beginners?

Team rumble has automatic respawns.

If you turn off "Fill" (to "Don't Fill") then you won't spawn with random 8 year olds screaming at you over mic.

When you respawn you have at least one full clip (?) of ammo for each weapon. You can run into an enemy, shoot a rocket launcher at the floor, and take both of you out. As long as you don't get hit first, your self-destruct doesn't count against your team but you get a point for the kill.

Also team rumble ends up being 4 vs. 12 half the time so you can practice hiding, hunting, or just chilling out depending on how the player count ends up shaking out. It's also a great mode for completing daily challenges if you decide you want to level up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

I got tired of pubbies dropping out of my parties and switched from Squads to Solo and now my usual goal is to get one kill and survive the first storm phase. Anything past that is a good game and I can usually go out in a way that takes a better player out with me (usually charging headfirst into a build battle).

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

a big fat bunny posted:

i can appreciate this because my usual solo goal is to just drive around and run people down. Bonus points if i can jam that monster taxi through a multi-person firefight without losing a wheel.

When the soccer challenges got added I had multiple solo games where I got 10+ kills just driving circles around Pleasant Park. The game's never been so fun.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Vandar posted:

I won a game because I had hired both Lara Croft and Crustina to help me, and even though neither one of them could hit the broad side of a barn with their bullets, having them freaking out and firing in the general direction of my opponents was a huge help in hunting down the last few assholes on the map.

I literally just won a Solo match because the last other guy heard me wiping out #3 (right after he wiped out #4 of course), ran up towards us, and unloaded multiple weapons into the NPC I hired, even as I was shotgunning him from near-point blank range.

A nice change of pace from the game earlier today when I hired two NPCs then got wiped out while they were both standing somewhere out of my line of sight.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

I've really enjoyed Impossible Escape; the only real trick is to get a Hunter's Cloak before the first night. You can zipline back and forth to avoid the ghosts on night two but as long as you keep moving they should be manageable.

I got lucky in the PVP mode and a squad of two guys died with two of the parts right next to one of the choppers. The trick to PVP in general seems to be killing off other players/waiting for them to die (the second night thins the herd out) then swooping in on day three to complete a chopper. If you're all alone then you can drop extra rifts by the chopper you're repairing and significantly cut down on travel time (plus jumping out of a car, grabbing the part, and immediately rifting while the guards are still noticing you is a great rush). I don't think I'll do PVP again now that I have the umbrella but I've escaped five or six times in PVE.

Also the storm is only one damage tick per second so don't panic if it starts setting in when you're still gathering. Oh and DON'T USE THE THRUSTER and you should have enough gas to get to the escape point without refueling.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

I thought I was getting pretty good at this game towards the end of last season but I guess I just got really good at using the bows because I'm back to getting wiped out around top ten time every game :smith:

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

I finally got my first solo win the other day and it was by zapping another player with a UFO exactly once (honestly just while spamming the projectile), then they either died from the storm or fall damage.

Really anticlimactic after at least half a dozen sweaty #2 finishes but I'll take it.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

a big fat bunny posted:

Where the hell else am i going to be a banana in roman armor making it rain bananas?

Wow I don't remember logging in on your account and posting this :hfive:

I bought Potassius the day he came out and I've never switched back.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Honestly I'd recommend taking a break if you've unlocked everything this season. The only season I went completely bananas on was the Marvel season (I think I got up to like level 280 or something?) and ended up kind of burnt out for the entire next season. I unlocked everything last season then took two weeks or so off and this season felt a lot more fresh.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Just hiding in a car is such an effective strategy to begin with. I'm usually too scared to jump out or shoot at someone but nobody ever seems to notice me just chilling in a passenger/back seat.

And to be fair I never really check either but so far that's never bit me in the rear end.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Ended the season exactly one fish short of the Fishstick Toona Fish style, which was the only one I really wanted. :negative:

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

King Burgundy posted:

The fishing took me a few games, but wasn't super terrible. For future reference definitely try to focus on areas with less players to worry about, make sure to collect health packs or stacks of fish to heal with and keep fishing even into the storm for as long as possible. Just really maximize how many fish you get.

Oh yeah I figured I'd get it eventually then didn't really freak out about fishing until maybe a week from the end of the BP. It's 100% my own fault and it'll just hang around as a monument to my own dumbassery.

Kymera was a lot worse last season; I gave up on getting all his styles like two days in.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

It seems like they've partially reverted Team Rumble back towards what it used to be, which is nice because I feel so lost between the new map and the new guns.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

IncredibleIgloo posted:

If you do a squad game you get access to their (squad mates) daily quests as well, so theoretically if the initial slate you get doesn't look fun you can just squad up for a round and find one that is more interesting.

This happens in Team Rumble too so you can knock out like 8-10 daily quests in a single game if everybody's going for them (it's easy to get, say, Visit Five Gas Stations if everyone lands near a different station).

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Unfortunate because I can consistently place top five-ish but rarely eke out a win, but fortunate because I usually place so high by playing conservatively and hiding in strategic spots and the crown getting pinged on the map kept giving me away.

Yes I know I could throw it away but then how would people know how great I am?

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Jestery posted:

I'm missing the turrets but they were OP af

Nothing like landing in Pleasant Park or Retail Row, jumping on a turret, and immediately gunning down five other players :getin:

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

I'm just glad the weekly quests all persist from week to week. As someone who usually only plays 1-2 matches a day (if any) it was a real pain in the rear end missing out on a ton of XP because I didn't collect 50 doohickeys in a given week instead of all season long.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Me swinging: Haha gently caress yeah!!! Yes!!

Me trying to shoot someone swinging: Well this loving sucks. What the gently caress.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

My goal is usually to get one kill and complete one quest in a round; anything above that is a bonus. Occasionally I'll have a round where I play aggressively and run towards gunfire but I'm as likely to place #85 that round as I am to rack up 8-10 kills.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Mr Hootington posted:

Pet backpacks were a gimmick for the OG backpack season. They haven't released many or even brought back most.

https://fortnite-archive.fandom.com/wiki/Pets

I probably have Merry Munchkin in my loadout about half the year. He screams at the top of his lungs when you jump out of the bus and apparently he's loud enough that my fill squadmates hear him sometimes and have no idea what's happening.

None of the other pets I have really impress me (Baby Yoda takes up like half the screen iirc) but Munchkin has a bunch of fun animations and a lot of personality.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

You can complete this week's "search X containers while under the influence of slap" by activating slap then repeatedly grabbing a gas pump.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Nooo I loved the hammer. I can't aim for poo poo but I can run straight at someone, jump in the air, and whack them with a hammer like 25% of the time.

On the other hand now I have 2-4 empty inventory slots to fill with something else I guess.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

I for one enjoyed the subreddit screaming about how Morty never came back to the shop for a year, then immediately complaining when the skins stayed in the shop for a solid two months.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

I picked up playing Save The World about a week ago out of curiosity and it's not too bad. It definitely feels like an unfinished beta game so far but it's a lot more fun than grinding out XP on most of the creative maps that gave out decent experience.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

parasyte posted:

Is there a quick what do i do sort of thing? I have played through homebase storm shield defense 3 but i am not great at building and i keep running out of traps anyway.

I think you're actually further into the storyline than I am; I've just started jumping into other peoples' games and loving around farming mats until someone starts the "defend Point X!" mission then run over and help them out. I usually get about 25k-30k experience from a round, which is probably about what I'd get from my most efficient and reliable Creative map but a lot more fun.

I'll probably go back to solo mode at some point but it really feels like a game that was built to be played with friends, so having the materials to make a bunch of traps should help me blast through the next couple of levels.

Cockblocktopus fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jan 17, 2023

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

"Due to issues, ..."

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Pistol
Hammer
Hammer
Hammer
Health Spray

See you in the final circle :getin:

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

I haven't done squad fills for a couple of seasons but there was always something magical when three of you would land in one spot and the fourth would land clear across the map, then seven minutes later they'd drive up to you in a flaming car with 10 health, a stack of gold weapons, and 12 kills.

I mean they end up dying 10 seconds after landing much more often, but still

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Mr Hootington posted:

Surprise!
https://twitter.com/FortniteGame/status/1620074502985064451?t=Fc3Ybb5eGN045vdb7LjcLw&s=19

Edit: DragonBall has a new movie coming out that stars piccolo and gohan do those will be 2 of the new skins.

Buying Vegeta is probably the only time I've added money with the express intent of immediately buying an item so I guess they're coming back around to pick my pocket again :argh:

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

You get a nice chunk of XP for killing the boss too; before this week's quests came out I'd land there in Team Rumble and either wait for the storm to chip down his health or just shoot him once and run like hell, then let the storm do the rest.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Mr Hootington posted:

I liked the hammer.

The hammer was a godsend to those of us who can't loving aim to save our lives

Also the rocket launcher in no builds :getin:

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

I think this is the first season I've just bought the Battle Pass with vbucks instead of buying a month of Crew and I'm not really regretting it so far.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

I hired the sniper in the small castle-under-construction on the upper left of the map (#1 DROP SPOT DO NOT STEAL) without realizing he'd ping enemies and we had a great game together. Got lucky with augments and hiked over to one of the snow towers, then sat on top of it sniping dudes or hitting them with the sword and knocking them off to their deaths.

Probably the most fun I've had this season.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

There's (probably a bunch of?) a "player vs 99 bots" game mode on the Season 3 map in Creative that's a good practice. I've only played one game in it but it's a reasonable facsimile of the real game; the bots were mostly obvious and easy to kill but the last bot standing got the drop on me iirc.

Creative in general is probably a good ticket for learning the game; the deathrun maps would be good for learning controls and the zombie maps could be decent combat practice. (But also Team Rumble is low-stakes and mostly fun.)

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

I love the lock-on pistol so much. I've gotten a bunch of cowardly kills on unsuspecting victims and died just as many (or more) embarrassing deaths from pulling it out on an enemy closing in on me and not realizing I'm hosed until I've taken two body shots from a shotgun.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Dead Nerve posted:

Kinetic boomerang to da face sounds fun :clint:

Due to performance issues, kinetic boomerang has been temporarily vaulted.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Kinetic boomerang is good but it's going to take a couple of days for me to get used to needing to hit five times with it to kill a full-health enemy in no-build. As someone who's aim-challenged I miss my big fuckoff hammers/swords and the homing pistol but I can see this season being pretty fun.

Holding out on the battle pass for a while in hopes of a good crew skin, though.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

You can also very easily kill yourself with the cannon if you shoot yourself in the foot. A+ would recommend in a Team Rumble context.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

1glitch0 posted:

Bender's raygun owns and is perfect for people who can't aim like myself. I'm gonna be sad when it goes away.

Lock-on pistol and the kinetic blade were the peak of the game for me. Boomerang and the Optimus cannon just aren't the same :(

Beve Stuscemi posted:

I really wish I could justify the $40 to get all the futurama stuff but, alas

I am not a proud man :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Hrist posted:

Bender might be the funniest skin in the game. And I don't even feel bad getting killed by one because it's just too dumb/funny looking to care. But 1500 just for one skin is way too much. Plus the 800 girder on top of that for weirdos like me that want a matching harvester. I might as well just wait for Ragsy or something to come back for all that.

tbf there are a lot of generic silver pickaxes that look fine with Bender. I don't love the girder and I'll probably swap it out in another week or two.