Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
i've learned 2 things from playing snipers: don't build straight up if you don't have a launch pad to get back down to ground level later, and impulse grenades are by far the best weapon in the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Kiranamos posted:

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay

:w00t:

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
skip past two or three maps and implement infinite procedurally generated maps. the assets used for the current map are already duplicated everywhere, so it's not like repetitive design would be that much of an issue. present the generated map in the pre-game section and let people deduce the most/least crowded areas and the spots that might have the best treasure every time

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
building gives an avenue to players to win without needing to be sick noscope headshot masters, so im in favor of it on principle

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
long range shots are just how people say hello in this game

i have died to a 180 meter and a 200 meter snipe before, though

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Seditiar posted:

BuT iT wIlL sPlIt ThE pLaYeRbAsE.

That's how most of the people against it sound like. Yes, we definitely need a matchmaking system and afaik, they're working on it.

getting to play against people who actually know how to play this game is cool and something that basically no other game with this level of popularity does

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
i think dusty depot is the best newbie drop zone because it has some obvious landing areas and there'll probably be two or three other people there that are easier to track movements on. it's like a miniature version of the actual drop zones

this does mean that once you start getting consistently good at the early game stuff and start surviving, you'll be coming out of there with like two green pistols with no ammo left, but it's still pretty fun

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Yes, it does have it and back in 2016 was played by twice more people than Fortnite is now. That's the point.

league of legends has matchmaking on every game mode, even the silly joke event queues. a bad or new player of league of legends will never get to see how good people play if they don't watch streams. matchmaking is a good thing in league of legends' case since losing is a tedious and drawn out process even if you're getting stomped, but it doesn't matter as much for fortnite where there's a maximum of one minute between dying in one game and being in the next

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
houses are my weak point. i dunno what it is about them but whenever i try to do anything near one my target immediately disappears until they are directly behind me with a shotgun

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

MarshyMcFly posted:

By all means, increase the toxicity level among my friends list that’s such a nice thing to do.

drat hell yeah dude fake friends are the worst

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

quite stretched out posted:

so stuff with a scope has bullet drop and travel time while stuff without doesnt right? felt weird to be landing hitscan shots on someone i could barely see with a rifle when i know that trying to take the shot with a sniper probably would just result in nothing but net for me (i am not good at sniping moving targets)

yes except the scoped assault rifle, which is still hitscan. also i’m pretty sure the different sniper rifles all have different bullet speed/dropoff rate too, which makes them even more of a pain to learn

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
the minigun will take out walls, but it's slow dps against actual players, so smart people will take out an assault rifle and just plug you in the head while youre slowed down from firing

it's real nice in duos/squads since you can have other people deal damage while the minigun guy takes out fortifications, but i think it's terrible in solo

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
the mandatory chute deploy depends on the elevation where you're landing (i dunno how it works exactly, but it seems to be an average of the elevation in 10 or so meters of radius around your position). If you don't point yourself at the lowest position in an area, other players will fall farther before pulling chute and land quicker as a result. I do see slight variations on chute height when im dropping into crowded areas, but i think that's just because the ground is bumpy in a way that's hard to recognize from height, which introduces a semi-random element to it.

once parachute is out everybody falls at the same rate. no idea what you saw but if someone's above you and aiming at the same spot you are, you'll definitely be the first on the ground

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
i use one grid square as my distance guess, but i usually try to land on buildings or hills so i need a bit more clearance

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
i got into a pickaxe war with someone directly in front of a chest once because we both knew if we tried to open it the other guy would steal the gun straightaway

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Johnny Truant posted:

Or just have the areas rotate randomly, that'd be nifty!

just procedurally generate the entire map, there's enough emphasis on prefab assets already

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
the wick giveth, and the wick taketh away

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Beastie posted:

Not quite, but:

I opened on on the precipice of Dusty Divot only to have the loot fly out, fall off the edge, and land on a slope that I was unable to stop on long enough to pick up the loot.

Then I died.

Seemed more like lovely placement than a bug though.

many chests in ruined houses and bridges will open directly into a pit. you'll need to build a platform underneath the chest if you want the items to land near you.

there's one bugged chest in the prison's northeast tower, which almost always dumps its items into the floor below it, but that's the only unintentionally weird chest that I know of

e: lol yeah that's the one

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
well you could land in other places until the glitch in prison gets fixed, but my recommendation would be to continue landing in prison but go to the floor below the tower and steal the gun when somebody else is stupid enough to open the glitched chest

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
honestly this sounds more like blitz mode 3.0

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
it’s in exactly the right spot now, where it’s dumb to pick up the gauntlet but way too much fun not to

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
the trick with 50v50 is that if you get a build a decently wide fort on high ground yourself, pubbies will immediately start flocking to it and you can get a decently defensible situation going on. if nobody builds something enticing, everybody just mills around in 1 by 1s getting picked off. be the change you want to see in the world

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
being able to jump up an entire z-level is a huge advantage, as the moon rocks have already demonstrated

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
the tree fort to the northeast also counts for the wailing woods challenge, and it is 100% empty every game

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
to make fortnite good for live spectating, there would need to be a heatmap for fighting and building that commenters could use to zero in immediately on places where the fun is happening. just following player perspective wouldn’t work on its own, even if all 100 players were being recorded

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
also the damage isn't blocked by walls and floors, so you'll take out everything in the full radius instead of just a 1x1 block