Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Battle pass chat - developers state that full completion is aimed on average of 75-100 hours if I remember correctly, but it seems to be going rather fast for me.

If you do all challenges, you also break even with cost of it as there are 100 vbucks as a reward for each 7 tiers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Neon Belly posted:

It's a lot faster if you play with friends for the bonus there.

Wait, is experience bonus cumulative for party? Say, buddy has 60% and I have 70% - do we both get 130%?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

AAB posted:

I dont have that many mouse buttons :negative:

you get your personal +70% and then whatever your buddys's (yes some for each other person) which is a different number. I think the MAX bonus is around 200%

Oh, nice!

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Veritas posted:

what happens if you can't unlock some of the rewards in the battle pass before the season ends?

You don’t get them.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Seditiar posted:

He's really good, but I honestly think HighDistortion is better than anyone out there. Really chill streams as well, which is refreshing.

Streamer betterness comparisons are lame. Anyways, I wouldn’t particularly recommend HighDistortion to OP because his entire commentary consists of complaining.

Much like Daequan who does two things, complaining or clinging to his platonic ideal of Fortnite meta, double pump.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Seditiar posted:

Eh, I don't see how it's any different as saying X player is better than Y player in basically any game. As for consisting of complaining, I haven't really noticed that a whole lot, apart from the few salty games. But everyone has salty games sometimes.

It's not about salty games, it's that he always just moans and moans and moans "I wish Epic would drop everything they do and fix bugs". We get it, man, there's not need that to repeat it day in day out every time something unsightly happens. In other words, there's hardly ever anything I'd call positive on his stream, in my experience. I still watch him for plays and strats, but it never has or will be my chill stream.

As for X is better than Y, in my opinion there's no meaningful difference between normal players watching Myth, Dakotaz, Kraffty, Ninja, Shroud, HighDistortion, Daequan, NICKMERCS, KingRichard, etcetera. They all are so far out there that any real or perceived difference in their skill levels is neither observable nor can be taken advantage of past their general styles, like Krafty's 20 second ziggurats on an empty spot vs Ninja's trick shots requiring less fear than water in Sahara vs Shroud's flicks at limit of human reaction times.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

santanotreal posted:

I wouldn’t mind if different parts of the map were rotated in and out, like removing dusty depot and replacing it with a new place to explore, as an example.

I hope the meteor theory is real and there will be crater in place of Twisted Towers. As much as I love dropping there, it is not healthy for the map meta.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Seditiar posted:

As for the difference for "normal" players, you don't have to be top 1% to see a difference. I agree that they're all way above the average player though.

I challenge anyone to objectively describe how any of the streamers I mentioned is an objectively less skilled player than any other of them, in a way that lends to an argument for/against watching any of the two. Unless it'll be a comedy aim comparison between NICKMERCS and Shroud.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Seditiar posted:

I didn't actually recommend HD for the OP, as I don't think he's good new player material to watch. As for wanting new strats, Ninja is very chaotic in building so he's not really a good example imo, unless you want to make it work like him as well.

As for actual objectively looking at things, all you can do is look at stats really. But stats aren't entirely accurate either, as there's no ranked matches so it mostly boils down to sheer number of games played.

Edit: It's really easy in CS:GO though, because they face off against each other nearly weekly. And you really don't have to be a top tier player to see some pros are leagues above others.

:nallears: So we are saying the same thing after all.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Seditiar posted:

Yeah.. I guess we do. :v:

I do think it's important to make the distinction that HD is really great to watch if you want ~serious~ tactics/insight of the game. Whereas someone like Ninja for example, is pretty terrible to watch if you want to actually improve in the game. Watching someone have just sick aim (and in this case incredibly chaotic building as well), won't improve your own aim/building. Streamers like Myth, Kraftyy and HD are a lot better to watch for improving your own gameplay/decision making.

There's no doubt in my mind that Ninja can play relaxed/tactical and still be one of the best, but he just doesn't really do it on streams. And I can't blame him, if I were that good and playing a game without any ranking system whatsoever, I'd start doing a lot of random poo poo as well just to handicap myself a little bit and get more entertainment out of it.

Agreed. I think flashy players like Ninja and Shroud may be somewhat valueable just to try to get your self out of "optimal strats" and try having serious fun, but definitely not mindful learning streams. If you want to learn, Myth/HD/Krafty are all great and well rounded players in my opinion. I would recommend against KingRichard and Daequan because they are Mr. Sniper and Mr. Shotgun respectively. Not sure about Dakotaz, reddit circlejerk likes him but the 5 minutes on his stream felt like Twitch sandpaper to me so I didn't bother much further.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Continuing streamer chat, what's the thread's preference for solo/duo/squad streamrs? I have no idea why, but I loathe watching non-solo streams unless it's like Ninja with Drake or Ninja with Shroud or some other hot shot celeb stuff.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Scyantific posted:

Yeah him and KR both started out streaming ESO, which really wasn't conducive to streaming given how chaotic ESO was back during the day. They really started making progress once they left the game and moved on to true PvP based games.

Speaking of moving, Krafty was basically like that. He was bigshot Destiny streamer, but then Destiny 2 happened and he'd basically be over were it not for Fortnite swinging around.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

dogstile posted:

I'm slowly getting better at the game but I still haven't won a game. I think its because i've decided to learn how to shoot so I take engagements even if it'll get me killed because maybe i'll learn how to build better, etc.

Absolutely making GBS threads on a duo by myself is really fun, now i've just got to get as good as the people who regularly do that.

Knowing your calibre, this is absolutely the way. Just spam fights until you win the consistently, then the wins will come naturally. Getting plain wins is easy, you just glide until there are 20 people left alive and then shotgun one or two for better gear, to kill the last guy.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Emron posted:

Please, someone, help me with my twitch prime gear. I beg of you.

Do you ask your mom to post for you or something? :v: What's the problem, anyways?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

dogstile posted:

Would be tempted to drop money on it if I didn't learn my lesson with Smite already

HiRez is always a bad decision.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

It's surprising how many people in this thread have seemingly forgotten that League of Legends exists.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Rexxed posted:

I tried the beta but it's a bad game like all mobas. Does it not have matchmaking?

Yes, it does have it and back in 2016 was played by twice more people than Fortnite is now. That's the point.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Tomahawk posted:

Ive played like 40 games and never seen a rocket launcher. What’s the deal? Both times I got to #2 the other player seemed to have an infinite amount of rockets to shoot at my cover.

Good backup variant, if all your chests are never lucky, is to just open supply drops.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Kiranamos posted:

People should stop advising landing in tilted for newb experience. The fighting there is different than any other location due to the huge tall buildings and you're much more likely to just get killed randomly. There are plenty of normal high traffic areas to drop instead like Retail Row or Salty Springs which will be way less frustrating and more "realistic" experience.

The whole idea is pretty much the opposite of getting a realistic experience. Sole point of dropping tilted is so that you can have a gun fight every 20 seconds instead of every 2 minutes and get used to primary combat mechanics faster.

Besides that, if you can consistently make out of TT with halfway decent haul on a regular basis, you will absolutely destroy most people out there that aren't buildlords or fellow tilters.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Kiranamos posted:

Tilted is the single most likely place to die without a gun. Also, no point in wasting brain power learning chest and loot locations in Tilted, especially since it's being nuked (please god)

I’ve never power learned chest locations there or anything, just landed at the first gun I see and have a go at it, gosh. Dying every other game without a gun for me is arguably more beneficial than running through empty wasteland for 10 minutes, if you want to argue in extremalities. I get it, dude, you don’t like Tilted, but for practicing shooting guns there is no better place unless you stop each fight and kindly ask every other participant except the one you planned to shoot to cease and desist with their hostilities.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Kiranamos posted:

I feel very strongly about Frotnite.

Looks like that, you’re the first person I see being mad about Tilted as a gun range.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Brand new to the genre sure, TT will be just too overwhelming. I wouldn’t though focus as much on strictly beneficial engagements, that is ultimately a boring play style that limits you to abstaining from the best loot crates in the game, fellow players. That’s when it becomes handy to understand what fights you can and cannot win.

It’s basically the “winning games” chat all over again. Eventually, you can lurk until the top but then it’s a dice roll if you can kill the last Rambo alive.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

RC Cola posted:

I'm also thinking of trying this, can you do free for all with friends, or is it all randoms

You can free for all with friends against other people with friends. You can’t make a small one for friends only.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

quote:

Removed the reloading animation on the Pump Shotgun.
I'm not sure I follow.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Yeah imo it’s a “noob trap” with once in a blue moon use case for demolitions.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

DreamShipWrecked posted:

It seems like there are a lot of trap weapons in the game. In my person opinion:

- SMG: too much spread to use at medium range, but not as effective as shotgun in close.
- Literally any pistol: I absolutely just walk by purple pistols all the time.
- Pump action shotgun: yes it does 30 more damage than the combat one, but the rate of fire is way lower. If you can land every shot every time it's a beast, but otherwise it is outclassed by the combat shotgun in every way. It also only does 95 damage re wiki, so even a perfect non-headshot requires a double tap.
- Minigun: see above
- Grenade launcher: just my personal opinion, but because these don't explode on contact they are very situational.

I was going to say scoped assault rifle, but I didn't know that it was hitscan and not projectile like the sniper rifle, which can make up for it's terrible damage.

Also, rarity seems to have very little effect on stats? Looking on wikis it seems that it's only a minor bump. Granted any bit helps, but focusing on rarity seems not that effective unless you are breaking some sort of damage gate.

Tac SMGs and Grenade Launchers are extremely good, in my opinion. Purple or legendary silenced pistols can be made of use, especially legendary. Deagles too, with first shot accuracy - rest of them strictly as a first weapon in a pinch though.

Also, pump shotgun headshot damage is 225 and 238 for common and uncommon variants respectively.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Yeah, turbo building allows you to build by holding fire key, with automatic material change and such. Shrub avoidance is the new default.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Enderzero posted:

In pubg I try to jump when the map marker is exactly perpendicular to the plane. I wonder if in Fortnite it makes sense to jump sooner then that and start aiming down to gain speed and head for valleys?

Depending on how you do it, you can go up to 15 squares away from drop zone. Fastest arrival time is through a wallet within two squares, except for Tilted rooftops where the optimal jump is almost outside of it.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://www.epicgames.com/fortnite/en-US/news/v3-5-content-update

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

A Man and his dog posted:

I have this bad feeling that some giant investor is going to take over and gently caress everything up but ayeeeeee who knows?!???!

They had Tencent bail then out years ago.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

wa27 posted:

It works this way on PS4 if they are using in-game chat.

Same on PC, it's flawless and I can instantly go from solitute of main menu to a Polish teenager screeming at his mother that dishes can wait for Tilty.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

teagone posted:

What is it with China and ruining esports? They hosed over the Shanghai franchise in OWL hard. I know nothing of Tencent, but I guess they're a lovely org too?

Tencent is Chinese EA, notorious for a swarm of pay-to-win trash freebies. Them effectively holding soft monopoly on western game entry to China does also mean that they have a lot of money and influence.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

I got the battlepass pretty late and the 50v50 is great for doing the location challenges.

Also on the cheating side, seems it would be reasonably easy for someone to run macro scripts to build things like 3 story 1x1 towers just by pressing a key.

You’d not only have to memorise which relative crosshair position is the one that makes it work, but also build only away from any objects that building blocks can be clipped to.

The only legit easy hack that’s not a wall hack would probably be aimbot for things like tactical SMG, heavy or pump shotgun, and scoped assault rifle, unless you are ready to wait for testing accuracy on each shot.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Coolness Averted posted:

Yeah I'm not quite sure what people are getting at when they say their involvement 'ruins' games other than they primarily invite people to tournaments who play the game in the region they publish it in.
Do they throw off the devcycle? Add more exploitable/sloppy code that leads to hacking in western servers?

They usually force Western developers hand to implement aggressively milking monetisation policies, common in Asian markets.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Coolness Averted posted:

But don't they set the terms of the monetization in their locale only? Like the way Blizzard set up their games on entirely different models in Asia back in the day? Or is it something like they have the pull to force those models on other markets? I'd suspect the Western publishers would usually be glad to go along with the lovely monetization if it's been demonstrated to work, and enjoy having the mean old Chinese publisher for 'forcing' them to include horse armor or whatever.

Being the largest gaming company by revenue (more than Sony with Activision Blizzard combined), and holding the key to Chinese markets, they have more than enough leverage on Western developers and exercise it freely outside their domestic markets.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Ah, my Caspian Border buggy memories

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Fortnite is coming to Dendy.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

By the way, you can solo queue in duos now if you want a middle ground between solos and solo squads.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I’d settle for meteors randomly destroying a named location within each zone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Seditiar posted:

Or it's because 30-40 people die there within 2 minutes and the rest of the map feeling empty. In PUBG you also have a high loot density area (military), but at least there it's at the edge of the map. Which is a major extra downside of landing there, you're generally looking at a run across half the map, if you even win at all.

I'd love it if they swapped Tilted Towers with another POI, like Wailing Woods or something.

Swap TT with Lucky Landing.