Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blorknorg
Jul 19, 2003
Crush me like a Blorknorg!

Not that anyone here actually plays "Save the World" anymore but I finally dredged up through the Canny quests a bit and made kind of a crap discovery. Previously the unvoiced and unfinished placeholder quests were largely 'eh, just do a mission that's level 46+' or such. They were sandwiched with a few normal-ish quests at the start and end of each tier but the 'do anything' quests served as a large section of 'meat'.

Sometime in the recent patches they changed this, I guess because everyone was just doing the quick and easy quests. They changed it to a rotating set of three options which all exclude the radar building, survivor saving, and encampment destroying missions. They didn't make the quests more interesting or rewarding or anything of course, just vastly more time and resource intensive and tedious!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blorknorg
Jul 19, 2003

Seditiar posted:

Think that was changed around December, actually. :v:

My first thought was also that it sucked. But it's good really, because otherwise 99% of the maps played would be those 3, now it's just 75% of them. That being said, it does still suck, but on a longterm kinda thing it was a good change for the game, imo.

Ah if it was changed in December that makes me feel a little better about missing the easyboat at least. It would be nice if they at least included the darn 20 min missions in the rotation, but I do agree that it does theoretically help get the defense maps played more.

As a person who bought the game for PVE after it opened the game's in an odd place for me. Spending Vbux on llamas is sort of pointless because barring some massively lucky roll there just isn't anything great to get anymore. One of the best changes the game made was the gold and tokens that let you actually see what you're buying, but that just makes the shittyness of the blind boxes that much more glaring. I've got the last two battle royale passes just because they feel like a better value than the stupid blind loot boxes, even bought the rainbow brite skin.

Blorknorg
Jul 19, 2003

Richard M Nixon posted:

I thought the legendary truck llama was supposed to be the good one so I bought 2. Discord told me I'm a retard and I should have waited for the super people llama. Did I gently caress up?

I'm new, only lv19, so I'm not really sure what to do with all the schematics and stuff that I'm getting, but lots of orange items made me think I got good stuff.

I've only skimmed the thread, sorry if loot posts got old 30 pages ago.

E: I'm playing TEDD Shot Jess, Orange

If you're happy with what you got then gently caress the discord honestly. Additionally as a new player really anything you get will be an upgrade. The super people llama is the best thing to go after when your account is more mature and you already have a set of weapons and characters you like to use, because the super people llama will guarantee some good survivors in it and those are the hardest things to fill out properly towards the end. I'm at the point with my account that I just don't bother buying stuff in STW as it's all marginal upgrades at best.

Definitely pay attention to the daily quests though as you can use the daily tokens to buy one legendary item from the event shop every week. The token items are towards the bottom of the selections on the right.

Blorknorg
Jul 19, 2003

goferchan posted:

Not quite sure I get the "loop" in STW though. I have a bunch of schematics and i'm missing the mats to craft anything cool, is there a way to just spawn in the world and run around farming stuff or is my only option doing missions? when i do those it automatically drops me in a party with randos and then I feel kind of rude if i ignore the objective and just go harvest stuff. Is that just part of the game or what lol?

Easiest thing to do is just set your missions to 'private' and pop into a mission that doesn't start unless you do anything and just farm materials. You'll keep any materials you've gathered if you exit the mission. You won't keep any quest progress and the survivors you save won't count towards anything, but you can scrounge up your parts for sure.

Blorknorg
Jul 19, 2003

Saxophone posted:

So, how is the co-op mode these days? I really enjoyed the game before it went battle Royale, though I wasn't a fan of how absurdly RNG the weapons and heroes were. Still, with a personal fort and some defense modes and other stuff, I did genuinely like the general gameplay loop.

I'm mostly not interested in the battle Royale portion though.

It's doing the Halloween event again at the moment so chances at free 'rolls' of the event llamas from doing quests. You didn't say how long you've been gone but there's been huge strides made in friendliness even before this week's update. You earn gold from lots of quest and tokens from doing your dailies, the tokens can be used on two legendary pieces every week, one trap and one weapon, and the gold can be used on various things like legendary (or even mythic) heroes from a selection, extra vault space or other decent upgrades.

This last week they completely overhauled the way talents work, removing the gating based on questing. Now it's entirely based on your account level it seems and you have MUCH more freedom to choose the good stuff. I think (but I'm not totally sure) that the restrictions on raising the 'star quality' of your weapons, heroes, etc no longer need anything, but it'd make sense if it was gated behind which tier of content you're on.

This is what has replaced the 'talents' tree:

And this is what has replaced the old 'research' tree:

If you've been gone a very long time then it's also worth noting that weapon perks aren't randomized anymore, they're fairly set for what's available for what weapon, and you end up building the weapon as you like. I believe weapon traits start at grey and you level them up with various mission reward items, you can also swap out traits. Weapon customization looks a bit like this:

In short there's been huge quality of life strides made even in the past few months. If what was bothering you was the rarity of getting legendary or mythic heroes, then that's much more doable now, if it was the randomness of weapon perks that's also very much been resolved. The Halloween event will throw the candy currency at you for quest rewards, and you can get the character I've found the most useful for missions: The mummy version of the ninja character, via drops or even as a selected quest reward.

Blorknorg
Jul 19, 2003

Welp, went and tried out the new mode, got just beyond the 45 minute mark...and on the rewards screen the game is 'down to address a critical issue' and spits me out. It's not quite the moronic four hour event thing where people were getting screwed with ten minutes to go, but it's still pretty irritating.

Blorknorg
Jul 19, 2003

Vandar posted:

Is there anyone playing Save the World that wouldn’t mind helping a fellow goon on this awful Re-Shoots quest? I can’t find anyone in the in-game queue and I think I suck too bad to solo it.

Direka on PSN / DexVandar on Epic if anyone feels like giving me a hand!

I've sent a friend request but unsure how much time is left until the event ends. Is it the 31st? I know it's soon most likely. Our schedules might not line up but if you want to hit me with a PM I can see if I can help with it.

Blorknorg
Jul 19, 2003

Oh well, I hope someone got Vandar sorted out, I never caught them on unfortunately.

Blorknorg
Jul 19, 2003

They did a few interesting changes other than the bots as well. For one the daily missions have been retooled. There's no more direct battlepass ranks as rewards, it's all experience based and the daily missions now operate like this: You get ten "stamps" per day, with eight being worth 8k exp and two being 16k each. A stamp can be achieved through a kill, looting 3 treasure chests, or surviving to the last 50. You also get a bonus one for your first game per day. Stamps can also be upgraded by doing more of the things related to them, so if you survive to the final 25? That's an upgrade to the survival one, kill 3 players? that's an upgrade to the kill one etc. You get exp bonuses for the upgrades as well. You can only get the three stamps per game, meaning if you get all of them in each game it'll take three games to max out your daily stamp quota.

So basically you can level up your battle pass doing whatever you want to. The bots make it so that even someone who is useless against real players like me can get the kill quests done as well. All in all it's been a nice contrast from last season where they completely removed the daily missions, and I just didn't bother logging in to the PVP.

Blorknorg
Jul 19, 2003

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I installed their lovely mobile game and auto battled to level 20 and never unlocked the skin for STW. Anyone else have this issue?

I managed to get the ninja in STW but it definitely wasn't instantaneous. I'd already got to level 20 in the lovely mobile game before the promo and it seemed to sort of need me to have logged into both games and then wait for the next reset in each before it gave me the respective items.

Blorknorg
Jul 19, 2003

I hate this. I hate everything.

Blorknorg
Jul 19, 2003

Welp guess the dumb star wars skins *aren't* going to be around for the entire duration of the promotional event given that they just disappeared from the storefront about twenty minutes before I was going to grab one finally.

Blorknorg
Jul 19, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

OK thanks for the time thing.

Also fuuckkk deadpool. I need that skin.

Again I really wish they would release STW on mobile. My phone can play the game at like 120fps (my ipad can) but they can't put STW on there? Come on now!

Does Geforce Now work on mobile? I got sick of it taking 30 minutes for every single patch and I've just been using GFN for my daily Save the World quests the last few weeks. It works surprisingly well actually and I don't have particularly great internet.

Also someone was wondering how you unlock deadpool. I presume you already noticed but there's a vent in the spy base screen that you can click through that has the deadpool missions listed for the week. I presume after several weeks of those unlocking that'll be how we get him.

Blorknorg
Jul 19, 2003

Not sure anyone who cares wouldn't have seen this, but they added Cable, Psylocke and Domino skins into the game today. Spent 5k of my stupid vbux hoard on them and the harvesting tools.

https://www.epicgames.com/fortnite/en-US/news/cable-psylocke-and-domino-join-deadpool-in-fortnite-x-force

Blorknorg
Jul 19, 2003

I got kind of frustrated when they removed the daily punchcards again, because it made daily exp farming much less simple than it was less season.

Also worth noting for people who owned Save the World version: You get a lump sum of new items for logging in because the PVE "released" today I guess.

Blorknorg
Jul 19, 2003

Now Silver Surfer is available on the shop for the usual 1500 skin 2200 pack thing which of course includes his board as a glider. I wonder if there'll be more purchase characters this 'season' or if that's it.

Blorknorg
Jul 19, 2003

The new mode they put in today is hilarious: It's Crazy Taxi but with 100 people split into teams of 2. It's a shame that the exp is lousy in the mode because it's actually a lot of fun. I'm sad they didn't license the Offspring songs though, they just use a soundalike sort of like the Steam version of Crazy Taxi has.

Blorknorg
Jul 19, 2003

Ghostbusters uniforms are in the shop for 800 for separate appearances or 2k for a set of five. Nobody licensed sadly, just generic fortnite folks in five flavours of male or female. There's also a gear pack that includes an ecto 1 glider, a trap, a backpack, and a proton pick.

Felt worth mentioning here just in case. The timer on it says 19 hours from now, so until 8pm est on Sunday I think.

Blorknorg
Jul 19, 2003

One big positive about the ghosts is that they count for the killcount quests. So if you're someone who legitimately can't really kill people like me it's an opportunity to wrap those missions up while the event is going on.

Blorknorg
Jul 19, 2003

Wow that was a surprising addition: Ryu and Chun Li bundle in the store with emotes and multiple costumes for each.

Edit:

Blorknorg fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Feb 21, 2021

Blorknorg
Jul 19, 2003

I've always wondered what happens with the odder meshed characters like the Xenomorph, like does its weird head shape mean it's 5x easier to get a headshot if you're aiming from its side? Does the hot dog costume section above the person's head still count as the head or is it just the face? Do the larger or more bloated characters have larger hitboxes as well? They can't, right?

Blorknorg
Jul 19, 2003

The url parse is counting the period at the end of the sentences as part of the url for the first two instances of the hotlink, here's the actual link:

https://www.epiclootboxsettlement.com/

Blorknorg
Jul 19, 2003

hanales posted:

If you play STW you should have gotten them already.

They gave everyone a blanket 1k to start.
The full settlement is either:

By mid April if you haven't filed a claim via that website you will get an additional 1k and you will lose the ability to pursue further action.
OR
If you go through the page's claim you can get up to 50$ cash or 13,500 vbux, though given they claim they have no way of confirming or verifying vbux purchases of llamas in STW I don't know how they'll be doing that.

The third option is you pursue legal action yourself, and this would require that you specifically opt out of the second 1k payment. You can see the full terms on the settlement page if you're so inclined.

Edit: I actually skimmed the document because I'm exactly the kind of person affected by this. I was heavily into STW back when it was the stupid blind box system, and I immediately felt irritated when they swapped the system out for the current one where you can actually preview the contents of your stupid box. If every gacha system cycled the gacha daily and let you see what the hell you were getting it'd be a lot less bullshit, and it's baffling that the entire gacha industry isn't forced to do this.

Blorknorg fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Mar 9, 2021

Blorknorg
Jul 19, 2003

Today's the last day for the current season in case anyone was going to rush some quests or whatever and forgot. Maitenance starts at midnight EST.

Blorknorg
Jul 19, 2003

SeANMcBAY posted:

I hope the next season cuts back on super hero poo poo. Sick of it in this game.

Raven and Lara Croft say hello, so I'm guessing it's gon' be more vidya game and DC superhero stuff on the item shop this season.

Blorknorg
Jul 19, 2003

Well big thanks to the person who mentioned idling in creative mode a few days ago. That really helped me catch up on the pass and I should easily clear 100 before early June when the new pass starts up. I just turn the settings down to minimum and make it the smallest window possible and then idle it while doing something else or cleaning etc and it's basically two free levels a day like that.

Blorknorg
Jul 19, 2003

Tubgoat posted:

Those flying saucers are kiiiiiiiiiinda comprehensively bullshit. You can just pick up a player and throw him into a 10 DPS storm and he has no recourse. Lmao, so balanced.

Uh...did this happen in the Jurassic Park enclosure area? Asking for a friend. If it's any consolation my 'friend' doesn't get any actual fortnite royals ever and was just fooling around the entire match until they realized there were only two players left.

Blorknorg
Jul 19, 2003

When I find a saucer on the ground, I immediately jump in and start mashing the horn that makes the mass effect Reapers sound effect!

I had a match with two other UFOs constantly Reaper honking culling the foolish humans in the ever closing circle. Ended up with one other UFO and just gave the win to them since I already have my umbrella.

Blorknorg
Jul 19, 2003

So did they disable creative mode idle exp this week? It no longer has the timer in the overworld of creative mode and even going onto the island didn't do any experience uptick after 40 mins.

Edit: Nevermind, I got some from idling in the hub I think.

Blorknorg fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jun 23, 2021

Blorknorg
Jul 19, 2003

Yeah something's definitely different about it. I did the hour and a half and got one uptick of experience that I only saw when I was confused and moved between the hub and the player island.

Blorknorg
Jul 19, 2003

So I guess Lebron James has a skin coming? Interestingly though it seems to have a costume from Space Jam 2...which makes me mildly wonder if there might be Looney Tunes skins coming? That would certainly be something I was interested in.

Blorknorg
Jul 19, 2003

Cammy (now featuring tights) and Guile (now featuring weird face) are available now 'for 24 hours honest' but these seem to always get extended and return before the end of the battlepass if anyone who cares misses them.

I *think* the alt costume for Cammy was from Final Fight Streetwise? Here's the two costume variants for each in the bundle:

Blorknorg
Jul 19, 2003

The Superman section of the battlepass unlocked today. Sadly looks like the second page of it is all stuff tied to having done a LOT of epic quests, like up to 100 or so, so I guess I'm not going to be getting the second page stuff.

Blorknorg
Jul 19, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

It’s some straight bullshit I don’t get exp in creative mode.

I have no idea why either I’ve literally tried everything.

Meant to check up to see how you were doing with that, here's a quick breakdown. It can be hard because if you think it's not working and leave before the 20 minutes is up it'll reset the time. You really just have to start it and just go do something else for like an hour and a half essentially.

THe "hour and ttwenty' should probably change to an hour and a half for buffer, but that's pretty much how I do it.

Blorknorg
Jul 19, 2003

Nullsmack posted:

It always awards 25,200 xp every 15 minutes for me. Up to 1 hour and 15 minutes or a total of 126,000 xp per day. The rest of this guide is fine. I turn down my settings and minimize the game so I can go do other stuff in the meantime.

Yeah it's more of a 'make sure' buffer in this case. I swear there's about a five minute 'iffy' period before the first reward for me when I was doing it. (I'm now above 200 so there's nothing further I can get I assume.) So it's just easier to call it 20-25 mins, and to suggest that someone just leave it for an hour and a half to be sure.

Blorknorg
Jul 19, 2003

Looks like most if not all of the Marvel skins are back on the shop for a bit now. Also this is the last stretch of the current battlepass, presumably the next one starts next week? Sure hope Samus didn't get cancelled! I assume she'll be out to co-incide with Dread in October if she does come out

Blorknorg
Jul 19, 2003

Looks like the equivalent to Superman this time around is Carnage in the date locked section of the battlepass.

One interesting new tweak to the way quests work is talking to named npcs for quests actually gives you a five step quest that's repeatable, so you can end up getting things like "finish two epic quests' or 'do three missions for x npc' and it's less of a hassle than it would appear.

Blorknorg
Jul 19, 2003

Necrothatcher posted:

I'm having a really weird problem with this new season. After about five minutes of play my laptop speakers start cracking really loudly (even though I'm playing through external speakers) and it doesn't go away until a restart. It doesn't happen with any other game or app and I've done a stress test of some demanding games.

Very confused.

Do you happen to have a controller plugged in? I remember having an xbox controller plugged in would cause an increasing memory leak for me in all unreal engine games in the past. Unplugging the controller would immediately fix the crackling and degrading performance.

Blorknorg
Jul 19, 2003

Necrothatcher posted:

I don't - but I could try unplugging the various USB devices. Thanks for the tip.

It was always a huge problem for me because windows apparently got less and less supporting of anything that uses directinput I believe. It got to the point in the past few years that it was preventing steam from launching properly. I only thought of it because the sound crackle was the thing I noticed most and earliest on. Anyways hope you get it sorted out.

Edit: also possibly try to find out if your computer is running two sound drivers simultaneously, that caused a 'crackling' issue for me in the past as well. Where exactly I found the evidence that it was happening and the way to disable it I can't remember unfortunately, but that might be the issue as well.

Blorknorg fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Sep 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blorknorg
Jul 19, 2003

I just died in the creative lobby. That's an interesting new twist I guess. I presume it's to prevent people from idling in it. Took more than an hour at least.