Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.
switch is good for lunch break fortnite
also very frustrating. must have done about 10 games. dropped into different populated areas. lost the first firefight every single game. oh well. either i got way worse on switch, or switch players got way way better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Popero posted:

Also weren't the jigsaw pieces just everywhere that had a basement? I just went to houses with basements around the map and did it that way.

I ran into at least one basement without one following the map; the house I was looking for was one or two away from the basement I was in.

codo27 posted:

What do you think they could come out with to replace the completely worthless loading screens and 90% of the emotes? I mean theres gotta be something that can be unlockable while still not affecting competition

I remember dataminers finding there may be battle bus customization coming, with maybe hats and vehicle customization. Probably won't replace loading screens or emotes for the most part; they're worthless but they sure fill slots in the battle pass.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Orange Sunshine posted:

Why did they change this? Was it causing problems?

Sounds like it had some issues, where builds within the circle would still get destroyed sometimes and it wasn't possible to tell whether or not that would be the case beforehand.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Same thing happened to me yeah. Seems like you have to hop off something destructible to redeploy your glider since the patch.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

codo27 posted:

Theres a sniper challenge? Ooo yeah. Although the last time I picked up my beloved gold heavy I didn't even get to fire one lousy bullet out of it before I was killed. But its still my favorite. Nothing is as satisfying as placing the crosshair directly on the head of someone foolish enough to stop to chug a shield, and that huge bang and goes along with their instant death

There are two of them this week (more or less). One to eliminate someone from 50+ meters, and a staged one to do 200 damage first with a hunting rifle, then with a bolt-action, then with a heavy sniper.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Mix. posted:

im just glad we have a sniper that can handle firing more than one bullet before needing a reload :colbert:

That was even worse since it didn't even OHKO on a headshot! Just an awful weapon that was only useful if you had to destroy one or two specific walls or a vehicle.

I'm glad the snipers have been un-nerfed, even if that does mean I get oneshot when I'm not expecting it. I'd rather that than useless scoped weapons.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

dorium posted:

What's the usual process for end of season events? This is my first one and I've been playing for the entire season.

Log in like 20-30 minutes before event time, around the time they start closing queues for any other game mode. You can probably still get in closer to the event and the promo stuff says you can join late, but this way you won't miss anything. Enjoy ~20-40 minutes of event, last one was kind of a rail shooter with whatever plot connecting the seasons/chapters happening in the middle.

Then the game goes down for about 12 hours or so and comes back up with a new patch.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Mister Facetious posted:

I've never played build mode. I just want to know like, what does a gold Hammer do differently than a grey one?

Generally each rarity boost (gray->green->blue->purple->orange->gold) gives more damage. Sometimes it changes the fire rate or reload speed or bloom (accuracy). The hammer particularly gets 1 or 2 damage each rarity up, and the reload scales from 2.42 to 1.87 seconds at mythic/gold. You won't find gold/mythic weapons unless the weapon is only available as mythic, with some exceptions.

Some weapons are very weird - the EvoChrome weapons this season are like that. The Burst Rifle actually goes down in damage from 24-22 as it goes from uncommon to epic, but also goes up in burst from 2 to 4 shots and the fire rate increases every step up. The shotgun goes up 5 damage per level, and the reload speed fully empty goes from 6 to 4.8 seconds, and the spread decreases pretty substantially. It also has weird spread in that it's entirely horizontal.

tldr, a higher-rarity weapon will be stronger

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

AndrewP posted:

is there any way to earn a measly 50 dang V-Bucks?

I apparently have 900 currently and the BP is 950, but I don't feel like buyin a whole $10 pack or whatever

There should be some 100 V-Buck spots in the free track of the battle pass. Looks like they come at levels 20, 46 and 86.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Mister Facetious posted:

Weren't phone players separated from console and pc a year or three ago? I remember reading about it.

My theory about bots is that they'll always miss their first shot, to let you know they're there. They also will ignore players to randomly break stuff, too, like they still think build mode is on.

Phone players are still separated; I'm not totally sure about Switch, it used to be combined with the phone/tablet players but might be with PC and the other consoles now?

Bot players are fun. The easy filler bots have potato aim, they can empty a magazine at you and never hit you even if you stand still. They wear random skins, defaults and collabs and old skins alike. They do that random pickaxing thing, I don't know what the deal is with that. The names are fairly predictable, though they do try to make them look like normal-ish names, and some of them have the anonymous flag on. You can see who is a bot from the replay files, some of the tracker sites will show whether a player is a bot or not:

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

You had to have logged in at least once between Nov 1 and Nov 15 to get the quests, and at that point you just have to gain 50 levels. If you logged in while the quests were offered, they remain active until the new year.

I too have found that they are commonly used by the sweatiest motherfuckers around. Someone who's bad at the game (like me) stands no chance lol.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Drowning Rabbit posted:

So I always play No Build, because I hate the stupid mini forts everywhere. However now that I want to finish the silly Dirt Bike Stunt quest, I ventured into Build, making ramps and just doing triple/quad backflips and spins for ~500k points per jump. Takes some setup, but if you drop and coast to near as far as you can get, scrounge a bike and some wood and you can get 500k per jump. The bike gets pretty screwed up, but I have never blown one up. I just run out of gas...

I've got 5m left of the 10m stage 5. Planning on getting it done tomorrow.

If you just hold the trick button and charge the jump and let it go in place, you get roughly 89k-120k points per jump.

There is also a method where you can find or build a half-height wall, jump on it just right while holding the trick button, and you'll balance on the wall while tricking the whole time. Kind of tricky getting off without losing it, but you can just rack up millions of points just standing there. This may have been patched though, seeing conflicting reports.

The "this week" quest that's really gonna gently caress me over is the snowball launcher elims one. It's not exactly easy to find one of them, and they fire like poo poo.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Hrist posted:

A friend and I both play on PC. And she was surprised I use keyboard and not controller like she does. I guess this confirms controller is better on all versions. And after I spent all this time figuring out a mouse sensitivity for aiming that I liked :negative:

Aim assist on PC controllers is something like 50 or 60 percent as strong as on consoles.

There are probably scenarios where one's better than the other. I think they're trying to avoid a situation like Apex where playing hybrid is better than using either control method alone.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Mister Facetious posted:

I keep forgetting to check, but does the uzi have a larger magazine than the dual-mag MPX lookin thing?

uzi's got a 33 bullet mag with a 2.7-2.2s reload depending on quality, twin mag has 20 bullets but every odd reload is 1.3s vs 2.3 normally.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Mister Facetious posted:

"Conclusion: use a tactical pistol instead." :v:

for sure, that tac pistol owns. first-shot accuracy, 2x headshots (the SMGs are 1.5x), with augments it's got a bigger mag and an always-faster reload than the twin mag. and if you have the tactical ar from that augment it gets the reload bonus too since it uses light ammo

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

It's pretty surprising to me that Epic haven't even acknowledged there's an issue when they've disabled other items for less.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Cockblocktopus posted:

I picked up playing Save The World about a week ago out of curiosity and it's not too bad. It definitely feels like an unfinished beta game so far but it's a lot more fun than grinding out XP on most of the creative maps that gave out decent experience.

Is there a quick what do i do sort of thing? I have played through homebase storm shield defense 3 but i am not great at building and i keep running out of traps anyway.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

I use locker slots for that and have it on shuffle, but I do wish it was slightly more powerful. Separate favorite lists for each slot so it can pick from a restricted list that's not shared amongst everything. The ability to set multiple styles of an item as favorite so it can randomly pull those.

Locker slots are good enough at least, since you can have them pick randoms from your favorites, and set up full coordinated stuff if you want. Kind of a pain in the rear end if you get an emote you want to have on everyone's ring though.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Spacebump posted:

I wish you could favorite saved skin/cosmetic combos and do random with only the favorites.

That's what locker slots are for, you can save a cosmetic loadout, banners music emotes wraps and everything. Then enable shuffle and it'll random on anything you have saved in the locker.

Unless you mean that you could save a loadout including what's marked favorite so a frozen skin picks from some random favorited icy blue wraps/pickaxes but a sports skin picks sports stuff only. In which case I want that too.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Sandwolf posted:

Something about the way fortnite does their character models makes the dudes who are huge and badass (Thanos, Master Chief, Doomguy) look like they are getting *so into it* in the dances. It’s amazing.

One of my favs is Robocop. Since all the characters that have mouths have them rigged up, so many dances make him look so happy. It's amazing and also cursed as hell.

Twibbit posted:

Man DLSS makes makes max Lumen look smooth.

gently caress i forgot dlss is back in i gotta turn that on

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

LionArcher posted:

That's a great point. So If I wait till the end of this month on say the 28th and buy it, I'll get a refund on the current battle pass (which I used v bucks for) and get the next battle pass plus 1950 v bucks for $11.99? Dope.

Just the current 950 refund and 1000 for the sub, as well as getting the next pass at no extra cost.

You can probably even pick up Crew now if you wanted, the season ends on March 8. You sound like you won't blow the vbucks in your account like I would.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Mr Hootington posted:

Nothing. Just a way to spend bars

it does tell everyone still in the match that you tipped the bus driver. that's it though

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Hobo Clown posted:

Bots are usually identifiable by username, too. If it's a meme, pun, or in any way clever, it's probably a bot.

It's hard to describe but it's a real "you'll know it when you see it" type deal.

There's a few Brazilian Portugese names that are bots.

Names aren't a dead giveaway but if it's a very cheesy self-aware reference or two words with two numbers that's a bot name.

The firing pattern is definitely a giveaway, also weapon switching. If someone swaps weapons quickly, or uses a vehicle, or shoots faster than a slow tap-tap-tap they're a human. That slow tap-tap-tap is a definite dead giveaway, real people don't shoot in so regular a pattern. Bots will miss a lot of their shots but players will too - the difference is in how many shots are going out.

A bot will also get bored if you go behind cover long enough and while sometimes people will disengage my experience is more that people will follow you to the ends of the island to get that kill.

They also never bother using weak spots when pickaxing obstacles.

KingShiro posted:

Combat shotgun got a nice buff with +7 damage per rarity. Medium ammo amp got toned down a bit and munitions slide got hit bad.

Dang nice, I've been going for medium amp + slide because massive magazines and effectively infinite ammo were very helpful. Definitely zeroed in on that augment early,
e: oh my god the suppressed ar had no bloom while sliding? lmao i wish i had realized that. been carrying one around specifically because of the medium amp and slide but i only ever exploited the slide for ammo

parasyte fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Mar 16, 2023

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Spacebump posted:

Kind of shocked they aren't putting all the RE skins in the shop.

They usually do that a few days to a week or so later when they add new skins to a previous crossover. Like the new DB Super skins for Piccolo and Gohan were the only ones in the shop when they showed up on Jan 31, the other 4 skins and associated items came back on Feb 9.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Amphigory posted:

Has anyone tried farming that creator Lantern island thing? It's dog poo poo, I dunno why it's being promoted so heavily

It's nowhere near as bad as the drat Witcher maps. It's a weird little minigame carnival, too bad most of it isn't up for a couple weeks. What's there isn't difficult to do or even particularly tedious so I appreciate that a lot, as far as these creative map quests go.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Is the UEFN stuff in game right now pretty bad? I haven't tried it because I don't typically dip into creative. It just got a public release so presumably the creators were contracted and the map worked on long before UEFN was there.

e: ^^^ lol yeah I hadn't logged in for a couple days and was getting high framerates in this creative map and couldn't figure out why. i'd just temporarily forgot that non-UEFN creative maps all get the old renderer with no lumen or nanite.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

KingShiro posted:

I’ve tried this in the preload lobby with 2 havoc pumps, there is actually a cooldown before you can fire the second gun. Don’t know if all the shotguns have that.

Yeah way back in the day (chapter 1, seasons 1-4) people would carry double pump shotguns for a near instant kill. Epic added a cooldown on shotguns in season 5 when you fire so you can't weapon switch to shoot faster than the shotgun's fire rate. The cooldown starts when you fire, but doesn't show unless you switch away from a shotgun to a shotgun (it can be the same shotgun).

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Is whatever they replaced the combat shotty with at least good?

last time the drum shotgun was around people considered it op as hell, does more dps than others with a range near that of the combat shotty. also it shoots twice as fast and has 12 shells in drum vs 8 in a combat shotty magazine

they toned the damage down some this time, so it's probably close to the combat shotty as far as use

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Beve Stuscemi posted:

They took the redeye away?

Bad time to admit you work at Epic :mad:

mk-alpha has a red dot sight, at least. unvaulted is not quite the right word because it's not been in the game before, though it is based on the mk-seven rifle that has been in the game before.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

there's a wiki that does include objective stuff (damage by rarity, fire rate, reload) but doesn't have any numbers on spread/bloom.

like the submachine gun vs combat smg you can see in the wiki entries
https://fortnite.fandom.com/wiki/Submachine_Gun
https://fortnite.fandom.com/wiki/Combat_SMG

Combat SMG does 1 more damage at each rarity, has 2 more bullets in its magazine, and fires 12 rounds per second compared to the Submachine Gun's 11. However the reload time is roughly 0.3 seconds slower than the submachine gun, and there's much more recoil. I don't know offhand how the bloom works between the two.

To clarify for anyone who might not know, recoil affects where your cursor is positioned. Bloom is a cone starting from your center point centered on your aim, and a shot will randomly shoot through one point in that cone; the cone size goes up (blooms) as you continue firing and the amount of that is different for each gun. Some guns (mostly rifles and pistols) have first-shot accuracy, which means if you are standing still long enough without shooting, the first shot will not be affected by bloom and instead is perfectly aligned with your aim.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

The right way to play is apparently camping bushes in ranked 24/7 until you hit Unreal
https://twitter.com/AussieAntics/status/1669476555079434241

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

For some reason ranked set the servers on fire this update for reasons only Epic can know. It'll be back, probably. Eventually.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Mr Hootington posted:

Travis Scott is in the game and isn't banned from returning.

He just hasn't shown up since uh. The first time he left the shop, 3 years ago. Next thing I know you'll be telling me Rue isn't banned from returning either.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

golden girls would be a dream collab yeah. god. give us boomers something the zoomers won't even recognize (they won't because boomers don't spend enough vbucks)

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

what the gently caress is a jujutsu kaisen

this is just me being an old and not that into shonen anime

anyway i guess there's a reboot rally now? some nice rainbow stuff i'm using a second account to get lol

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Shinjobi posted:

There are cursed spirits and also centuries old secret society that punches them

Men in Black but spooky ghosts

oh that sounds like fun. won't buy the skins but might check it out, so collab successful or something

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

I hadn't logged in since the update last week, checked it out and well. Piss Matrix certainly is a choice for the top end super styles.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Mom's spaghetti... i'm ready

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

I don't particularly care about getting an Eminem skin but I am going to need Mom's spaghetti. if it's bundled with the skin, i know what i must do
"spoilers", this is the eminem set decrypted https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachme...183ecefef40bd2&

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

There were a bunch of random interesting missions, that was back when you could only get stars for the battle pass by completing missions. And there'd be a hidden star somewhere, hinted at in the loading screens. The game was still fairly new and few people knew everything, it's been a trip going back to the chapter 1 island this season because everything feels so much smaller and emptier than I remember. You don't have 20+ people in solos dropping directly into Tilted Towers, people just play different now than they did back then.

Going back to higher rarities than green being either very rare or a special item has been neat, at least. People aren't decked out in purple and gold weapons after the first circle, and keeping shields on hand can be a challenge. It feels nice, as much as I miss the reality trees.

I wish the missions were more interesting, and there were more of them.