Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Hotels on Thursday.

https://www.comic-con.org/cci/hotels

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erev
Jun 9, 2013
That's loving typical. I'll be at the pyramids that day. I could have scheduled around it given a week's notice but CCI has deemed that two days is great. I have zero loving clue how I'll pull this off.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Erev posted:

That's loving typical. I'll be at the pyramids that day. I could have scheduled around it given a week's notice but CCI has deemed that two days is great. I have zero loving clue how I'll pull this off.

Wat

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Some people go on vacations or work trips and poo poo.

My suggestion: give your friend access and hope for the best.

Erev
Jun 9, 2013
Are the prices listed per person or per room? I may just wind up cutting my time at the Cairo museum a bit short (they are moving a lot of the exhibits to a new museum anyways).

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Room

If you go to friendsofcci they might list per person

Erev
Jun 9, 2013
Thanks. The '1 Adult, 1 Bed' bit had me questioning things.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

You’ll probably want two queens if you’re stuffing people in there

Unless you’ve got pharaoh money

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Some hotels will tack on a small fee for guests more than like 2, hence the "one person, one bed" thing. The price difference is in the neighborhood of like $20-$30/night so it's not really bad. The smart move is unless you're getting a block, just list only 2 names. The hotels won't check and I've never had an issue getting more access cards as long as we're talking a reasonable amount.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I don’t think I’ve ever been surcharged for more people anywhere in my life but it’s one of those things you don’t volunteer like asking to buy drugs from a uniformed cop

If you need extra cots, towels, pillows , keys it’s because you are silly and forgetful

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

CCI has been auctioning off returned passes on ebay for like 2 months now. The first ones to go sold for like $6k which is lol but they've been steadily dropping in price since then.

They're now selling for about $1k for 2 4-day passes (no preview night) which is less than double retail and no current auctions are above $900. If you're in the market still for passes, now's a great time to pay attention to the ones available.

https://www.ebay.com/usr/sdcomic-con

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

gently caress that poo poo

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
Especially since there won't be a hotel room within 30 miles for the weekend.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

ccubed posted:

Especially since there won't be a hotel room within 30 miles for the weekend.

It's more a question of price than availability. On top of a smattering of onpeak hotels, a quick google search says there's definitely hotels available, even some close to the convention center.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Looking at the exhibit hall map.

I like that DC has moved in with WB. Hopefully less of a log jam in the middle.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Yeah, gives me a larger area behind artist's alley that's a no go zone.

You're right tho, this is definitely gonna help with traffic, especially getting rid of the smaller booths between WB and funko, it just became a nightmare getting to any of them.

I also like giving Image a bigger/better space. Now I just hope they do something with it.

Erev
Jun 9, 2013

Dr Tran posted:

Looking at the exhibit hall map.

I like that DC has moved in with WB. Hopefully less of a log jam in the middle.

Honestly it makes me feel like DC is on time-out. Whether for not coming this year to Hall H or some other reason. Still, not being a DC fan I don't feel any real sense of loss.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I’m actually considering not going this year. Someone slap me out of wasting my money

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Alan Smithee posted:

I’m actually considering not going this year. Someone slap me out of wasting my money

Last year I only had Sunday passes and spent a grand total of 1 hour inside the convention center. I had more of a blast last year than like the previous 3 years combined. Off sites are where it's at at this point. You'll have less assholes to deal with and as long as the weather isn't blistering, it's good being outside too.

Erev
Jun 9, 2013
Smaller rooms are still good. And if you are a fan of Marvel it is looking like they'll release at least most of the planned slate - though if you are a D23 person you'll probably get more in depth information.

Personal opinion? If you've got the credentials and a place to stay visit what interests you. Beyond that? San Diego is full of awesome bullshit even without conventions. You can find fun.

***Note: Though if the smaller rooms interest you do know that 90% of the same presentations are available at WonderCon two hours north and several months earlier.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Studios must be starting to realize SDCC attendees aren't a good indicator of if people will go see a movie or not, most of them are just there to be starfuckers. Marvel, Paramount and New Line are the only ones with anything announced. Hall H has been forced to promote panels with THE DIRECTORS OF ENDGAME and THE WRITERS OF ENDGAME in two separate panels.

The only real saving grace for CCI this year is that Amazon's more than willing to throw good and bad money after bad and look to be painting the town with green.

Not a good start for the 50th. Maybe it's just my own impression but it feels like the convention scene is finally starting to die down.

Erev
Jun 9, 2013
I'm kind of surprised honestly. While I have been expecting the studios to start getting less involved I figured that they would wait until after the 50th. On the bright side that will hopefully mean room for more unusual content in future years.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Erev posted:

I'm kind of surprised honestly. While I have been expecting the studios to start getting less involved I figured that they would wait until after the 50th.
A bunch of the meteoric series have wrapped. GoT is done. Dr. Who alienated a bunch of MRA idiots. Most of the long-running animated series are done. The YA movie boom is over. And the MCU is in a transition phase.

Honestly it'd be nice if the thing contracted a little, at least until the Next Hotness drops.

Erev
Jun 9, 2013

FilthyImp posted:

A bunch of the meteoric series have wrapped. GoT is done. Dr. Who alienated a bunch of MRA idiots. Most of the long-running animated series are done. The YA movie boom is over. And the MCU is in a transition phase.

Honestly it'd be nice if the thing contracted a little, at least until the Next Hotness drops.

Oh, I get the transition. I just expected them to do wrapup panels.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

For people looking for comic things to do, CBLDF teamed with Thought Bubble for a Thursday party.

https://www.newsarama.com/45843-cbldf-invites-you-to-british-invasion-sdcc-welcome-party.html

Gillen's DJ'ing so it's probably you're only US chance to see that.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Schedule rollout has started

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Comic-Con eats

https://www.nbcsandiego.com/multime...-512306952.html

Abyss
Oct 29, 2011
I’m presenting at the Comic Arts Conference this year on Friday during CCI. A little nervous to be sure, hope I’ve read enough source material surrounding my topic of conversation (Irreedeemable & Injustice), but thankful I’ll be with three other colleagues on the panel. The rest of it will be all new to me, but we do have 4-day passes so we have time. If you’re interested in an academic discussion on supervillains, and the discussion of chapters we wrote for an upcoming book, we’ll be in 26AB, Friday, 10:30a-11:30a.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
Everyone have a good time. I can't make it this year because of budgetary reasons and being a responsible adult and poo poo, and I'm kind of sad about it.

John Lightning
Mar 10, 2012
Hey all, so I want to get into The Expanse panel on Saturday @ 1 PM in the Indigo Ballroom at the Hilton. I've never been in that room before that I can remember but does anyone know if it is worth it to try and get into that? Should I be planning on getting there at 7 in the morning and getting in line or would I be able to get in line say 10 or 11 AM? If you have any suggestions that'd be great, thanks!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

7 should work. 11 is definitely pushing it

keep in mind what comes before and after and how popular it is

Rick and Morty popular? Definitely more than 2 hours

John Lightning
Mar 10, 2012
Saturday, July 20

10:00am
Infinity Train
11:00am
HISTORY's Project Blue Book
12:00pm
NBC's The Good Place
1:00pm
The Expanse
2:00pm
Impulse Season 2: The Genre-Bending Teleporter Drama from YouTube Originals
3:00pm
Snowpiercer on TBS: Panel and Exclusive First Look of Series Premiere
4:00pm
Ripley's Believe It or Not! Extraordinary Humans Revealed with Bruce Campbell
5:00pm
SYFY and IDW Entertainment: Wynonna Earp
6:00pm
SYFY's The Magicians
7:00pm
DC Universe Series Sneak Previews and Q&A

That's the line up for the day, nothing but maybe Wynonna Earp and The Magicians afterwards and The Good Place right before it seem to be the most popular. I'm not a huge fan of waiting in lines for more than 4 hours haha, honestly more than 2 hours and I'd just rather not, but for The Expanse I could do 3 or 4 hours. If I have to get in line at 7 though, then I'm probably gonna skip it.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

it's more maybe you wait 2-3 hours in the morning and then nap in an air conditioned hall for a while

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Do you want to be in the room? Show up at like 10.

Wanna see the stage? 7 or earlier.

John Lightning
Mar 10, 2012
I'd be cool with just being in the room. 10 o'clock sounds doable. Thanks!

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
My Comic-Con bag lasted one day

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
I broke 3 bags today

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Yeah, I was wearing my bag on preview night and when I got back to my hotel, I noticed one of the straps was tearing pretty badly. Quality seems to have taken a huge dive.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

comiccon.txt

has anyone gone to the Adult Swim Green? From what i gather it's just stuff you can buy from the Rickmobile as far as Rick and Morty stuff goes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

I was there last night for Anamanaguchi and they had the merch booth open. Long and short, you're correct. They have a long sleeve T shirt, some socks, a bomber jacket and a hoodie. Maybe something more but it was pretty uninspired. They do have a Lazor Wolf tank which is cool though.

I think they were mostly hoping blind box mania would still be strong as they're pretty prominently placing a $120 backpack of mystery stuff.

I've come to the conclusion that every single last Warner/Turner property is incredibly objectively worse this year thanks to the ATT buyout.