Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

There's been less Fujiko and Zenigata than I'd like this season, but we can hope for more later, I suppose.

I suppose part of that was because the second arc had Albert to fill the role of both Fujiko and Zenigata in some ways, and was already a bit overstuffed.

I assume the third arc will be focused on Fujiko, given how prominently the ED features her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

fujiko got the ED in part 4 without much show focus so I'm not expecting it

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

dogsicle posted:

fujiko got the ED in part 4 without much show focus so I'm not expecting it

Pretty sure the woman in the Part 4 ED isn't supposed to be Fujiko. It's just a case of sameface.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Bros b4 hoes

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

DisDisDis posted:

what's the most tasteful representation of gay men in anime?
Daley Wong, original Bubblegum Crisis.

And Jojo's, obviously.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Nessus posted:

Daley Wong, original Bubblegum Crisis.

And Jojo's, obviously.

JJBA is actually kind of homophobic sometimes. The most unambiguously queer characters - Dio, Pucci, Scarlet Valentine - are all villains, and there are a couple bits in Vento Aureo and Stone Ocean where sympathetic (albeit antiheroic) characters make homophobic comments in passing.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

homoeroticism != representation

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

lupin and zenigata need to kiss

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c

Stairmaster posted:

lupin and jigen need to kiss

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Yeah, Jigen protests too much.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

Speaking of Fujiko, I actually recently finished it for the first time and I fuckin love the double twist.

"Your life of crime and sex is just my escapist fantasy of a better life."

"Sike, bitch. I was ALWAYS like this."

Yeah, I wasn't liking the way AWCFM was setting up Fujiko's past, making it look like she was just another in a long line of emotionally vulnerable femme fatales in fiction. But then she was just like "Actually, I steal and have sex because I like it. Get bent." It cemented Fujiko as my favorite of the crew.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

lmao goemon at the anime con

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
I'm glad Goemon has progressed from "doesn't know how to unlock a smartphone" to "uses a smartphone to launch a guided missile" in such a short span of time.

Ami's back, yay

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Little known fact: Private security in Belgium doesn't gently caress around.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
This episode was cool. Good to see Ami back, and making a friend. It looks like she (and probably Zenigata) will be trying to help the princess in a multi-sided conflict against the CIA, Lupin, and Fujiko. Or maybe Lupin will end up helping the princess after all?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I'm glad to see Ami back too but I wonder if her getting threatened with rape again wasn't overdoing it a bit.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Raxivace posted:

I'm glad to see Ami back too but I wonder if her getting threatened with rape again wasn't overdoing it a bit.

She was trying to be like Fujiko, but didn't really think her plan through.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Just saw the last few episodes of Part IV, and I realized that Part V's approach to continuity (lots of callbacks, but everything except the broad strokes is ignored, which is probably for the best) applies to its treatment of Part IV just as much as its treatment of earlier parts. At the end of Part IV, Lupin gets blamed for Da Vinci briefly putting the entire population of Italy in a coma. The Lupin-gets-his-15-minutes-of-fame aspect of the first arc of Part V completely ignores this.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Fujiko is lucky that there aren't yet any gay terrorist men.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Azza Bamboo posted:

Fujiko is lucky that there aren't yet any gay terrorist men.

There are, but she comes on so strong, they forget

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c
The glowing hand print was a neat trick; I just wish all media in general wasn't so afraid of showing dark scenes as actually dark.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
This week's episode was pretty cool. They're mixing up the cast a bit and raising the stakes.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
https://twitter.com/JamieRoss7/status/1017716401774133248

Pissbaby.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
Well, if the last episode is any indication...Lupin wouldn't be a fan.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Lupin making GBS threads on the CIA was great.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I keep feeling like this arc is going to end next episode then there's another twist and it gets more interesting, it's cool.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Also, guess that’s the ED confirmed as the season prologue.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
This arc has had a very good Fujiko. I like that she feels so competent and dangerous

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

thetoughestbean posted:

This arc has had a very good Fujiko. I like that she feels so competent and dangerous

Yeah, she definitely feels different from the gang proper.

Lupin's a thief and a killer, but even when he doesn't say it outright, you can tell he's a man with a code. There are things he'll do, and things he won't.

Fujiko, even her most heroic actions are done because she thinks it's fun. Lupin may say he's in it for himself, but ultimately he'll do the right thing, even if he loses the treasure.

Fujiko actually is in the game for herself.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
So I just got a CR account and I've never seen a Lupin III show before (I've seen Castle of Cogliostro, but I hear it doesn't really count?), do I start all the way at the beginning or do I jump to part V? Do I need a series primer? What does jacket colour have to with anything?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

you can start at any part, jacket color is just a way to differentiate the different parts

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Part IV is a good starting-point, though. It’s a solid series with modern production values designed to introduce a new audience to Lupin. Part V is slightly more self-referential (a number of its storylines are riffing on or actively questioning classic Lupin tropes), so a light grounding in the franchise may be helpful to appreciate it.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

YggiDee posted:

So I just got a CR account and I've never seen a Lupin III show before (I've seen Castle of Cogliostro, but I hear it doesn't really count?), do I start all the way at the beginning or do I jump to part V? Do I need a series primer? What does jacket colour have to with anything?

There's no real canon to piece together so you can just go with whatever you want in whatever order, just watching Cagliostro is more than enough to get the gist of what's up with the cast. Part 4 is a solid start if you have to have something with modern animation, but for my money's worth as far as what they have available on CR Part 1 rules a lot. Miyazaki directed most of the second half and even though it's old as hell it's directed in a way such that they make some really smart choices with the constraints they had.

Also anyone who says Cagliostro doesn't count is full of poo poo and shouldn't be listened to, since the tone of a given Lupin series/movie can really change depending on what you're watching so it's all valid.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I disqualify cagliostro mostly because I feel like it's cheating.:blush:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Shinjobi posted:

I disqualify cagliostro mostly because I feel like it's cheating.:blush:

I usually hear it disqualified in the negative sense, usually something along the lines of "it's a good movie but it's not a good Lupin movie", and while I don't see that sentiment as often these days it still crops up every now and then, so that's what my assumption was.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

chiasaur11 posted:

Fujiko actually is in the game for herself.

I don't know that I'd agree; at least as it pertains to this episode. In general yea, that's certainly the impression I've gotten even just having only watched part IV and the rest of what's available of part V but in this episode her selfishness in shooting off the sidecar seemed to be with the intention of drawing attention away from Ami and Lupin given her warning to Ami and that she basically immediately drives in to a corner and concentrates the search on herself.

That said, I'm sad that parts I, II and III aren't on Crunchyroll in my country because I've enjoyed what I've watched and would like to stream some of the older seasons.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Srice posted:

I usually hear it disqualified in the negative sense, usually something along the lines of "it's a good movie but it's not a good Lupin movie", and while I don't see that sentiment as often these days it still crops up every now and then, so that's what my assumption was.

Cagliostro is about 3x more Miyazaki than the 2nd most Miyazaki incarnation of Lupin, so a lot of it is a question of what someone likes about the franchise.

Do they prefer whimsy, or grit? Do they like a relatively wholesome atmosphere, or a layer of criminal scuzz? Are they into femme fatales, or sheltered society maidens in need of liberation from their dour lives?

Do they want to see Goemon cut people's pants off, or cut their body parts off?

OnimaruXLR fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jul 21, 2018

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Yeah Miyazaki does little for me so I didn’t really enjoy Cagliostro when I watched it a few years ago.

The more pulp fiction-y spirit that I’m seeing in Part V is definitely more my jam.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

i just caught up with this series and god drat its good
im really glad this continued the high quality trend from part 4 so well

im also glad it has weird throwback eps where chars just act completely like they did during that era because it's such a wild and jarring swap when it goes back to modern era lupin and everyone just starts murdering people again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I am ready for Lupin to visit Rokkenjima next episode.

• Locked thread