Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Eela6 posted:

:yeah:

I finished A Place Further Than The Universe. It's easily one of the best anime I have ever seen. It's gorgeously shot and animated, the characters are incredible, the music is excellent, and best of all, the writing is solid the whole way through - everything leads up to a powerful conclusion. It's simultaneously a deeply personal story & a really broad, epic adventure that anyone can see themselves in. My best comparisons are to the better Pixar or Miyazaki films.

I also finished Memnosyne. It is loving terrible. It squanders a potentially interesting premise (a pair of immortal private detectives taking cases as society evolves around them)) on a parade of pointless murder, torture, rape, and cannibalism. It's ugly and unpleasant, poorly written, and occasionally hillarious, though sometimes I wonder if the parts i was laughing at were meant to be funny it looks bad, too: the while thing is dark and muddy and washed out, and some of the digital effects, especially the ones they use for flashbacks, are horrible. Even the OP is bad; its the edgiest metalcore bullshit.

There is a part where the bad guy turns the tables on our protagonists shows by bringing out an angel rape squad, no, I'm not kidding. Jesus. It is an Anime Death Rape Tentacle Whorehouse of a show.

Why did I watch it? One of my very best friends loves it, and he was willing to watch Symphogear in exchange, so fair enough. I feel better now that I've gotten this out.

Do not watch Memnosyne.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rym6jnnhXJ0 fuckig baller op though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Irony
Aug 9, 2005

Oh Professor, you'll bury us all!
Not something I paid much attention to at the time as I'm not much into ecchi type shows, but I recently finished watching Punch Line with the local group and it wasn't bad.

The story of a boy living in a boarding house, for whom hijinks ensue after his soul ends up displaced from his body, it's not one I'd go running out to recommend to people, but it was a far more interesting series than I'd ever have given it credit for. If you can look past the considerable fan-service content, it has some clever narrative devices that it puts to good use. It gets a bit convoluted towards the end, but the only thing I feel really lets it down is the characterisation - the main cast never really seem to move past broad archetypes - and it smacks of being a visual novel adaptation, where you need to follow a character specific route to learn more about them, even though it wasn't. It does make me wonder if the subsequent game was planned from the start for that very reason though.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I'm gonna assume movies count, and say I just watched Venus Wars. It started off pretty strong but it wound up kinda losing me a little past halfway through. Around the 1 hour mark it shifts toward a fairly uninteresting military scenario, and it feels like they ran out of ideas for stuff for the other characters to do, before they just wind up leaving. Solid 7.5, mostly on the visuals and the first half.

Not really sure what was up with the out-of-place, sort of offensive gay stereotype soldier who shows up for like 2 scenes in the last 20 minutes, though. Like there weren't any horrific jokes or anything, I more just couldn't figure out what the point of him was, he didn't really do anything.

TriffTshngo fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Apr 11, 2018

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Movies count, OVAs count, if it's anime tell us about it!

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
i finally watched devilman crybaby and now I'm sad

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Cronodoculous posted:

I watched Angel Beats after a friend told me it was his favorite anime. I still don't know if he was kidding or not. It wasn't a bad show, but there's a lot of shows that do its schtick better. It takes an adequate premise, then does basically nothing with it.

My soul, your beats

More than just a song title...

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

lezard_valeth posted:

Also the fact that most plot twists they couldn't keep it in their pants and gave them away way too early and in an anticlimatic way, and the fact that the studio definitely operated under the assumption that you've watched 03 first and fastforwarded over some of the early arcs, leading to some "Uh?" moments near the end of the series when a character would call back to one of these early arcs and how big of an impact it had on them when it definitely wasn't depicted as such namely talking about the Tucker/Nina incident

In general that incident always seems to be given more importance then I actually think that it is worth.That and the raging hate boner that Edward has for Scar always seemed a bit off considering just who he is able to forgive.

To add to the thread I recently finished watching both seasons of Blood Blockade Battlefront which turned out to be a lot more fun then I thought it would be. In terms of general tone I think it is one of the closest things I have seen to Baccano and by the end I was truly sad to not be able to watch any new content resolving around the band of misfits that make up the main cast.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Hunt11 posted:

In general that incident always seems to be given more importance then I actually think that it is worth.That and the raging hate boner that Edward has for Scar always seemed a bit off considering just who he is able to forgive.

It's a pretty important event in their lives. Trying to revive their mother was a stupid mistake that they both paid for, but at the end of the day her death wasn't something they could have prevented in the first place. What happened with the Tucker incident was something they could have easily prevented if they had picked up on what was going on with him. It was them utterly failing to recognize the horrible poo poo that had happened and was about to happen again, and being faced with some of the absolute worst of humanity in the process. I don't think they have another failure on that level again in the rest of the series, so it makes sense it would weigh on them so heavily.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I watched Hyouka over the weekend. I went into it knowing nothing about it besides being a mystery show and it taking place in High School. It ended up being one of those things for me, that just feels like its somehow almost tailor made for you.

I love mystery, but like Chitanda I can get bum out by characters dying, so right off the bat the show was giving me good vibes. And like, the show is pretty laid back, but still has this like sense of tension and often left me enrapt (the second bit where Oreki and the empress are in the tea house for example). It was also excellent at like, taking mystery elements/character types, inserting them in the setting and playing it straight, while at the same time keeping it level headed enough for it to work.

Such a good good show. Also Ibara is low key the real hero of the show.

as an aside, I swear I seen Knox and the other rulesets reference way more in Japanese mystery than anything else

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Honkaku Mysteries Writers Club is a group of Japanese mystery novelists basically founded on the principles of the golden age of detective fiction. The rules are also referenced in Detective Conan more than a few times. Whereas modern American mysteries have pretty much completely eschewed a lot of that stuff, focusing in more on hardboiled loose cop type stories and noir fiction, Japanese mystery novels have evolved much more into active discussion of the 'rules' of the work, in a very metafictional way.

The author of the original Hyouka novels is a member of the Honkaku Club, and has been nominated for their yearly writing award three times.

Japanese mystery fiction is built much on exploration and addition to the works of Christie and Doyle than on subtraction or subversion. The works of Rampo implement elements of horror while still adhering to the core tenents laid out by the golden age of detective fiction. Japan had its noir era, too, but after the crime wave in the 1980s, Japanese society was more interested in stories where criminals were wily but defeatable, and the heroes were mostly intelligent, rather than stories of trouble authority figures trying and failing to bring people to justice. So there were a wave of more traditionalist stories in the 80s that never really let up. Hence, Japanese detective fiction is still very invested in Knox and the Ten Rules.

I'd recommend checking out the Tokyo Zodiac Murders or The Decagon House Murders if you wanna see some of that trend making its way back into Japanese popculture at large. Or just reading Detective Conan.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Apr 17, 2018

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Endorph posted:

The Honkaku Mysteries Writers Club is a group of Japanese mystery novelists basically founded on the principles of the golden age of detective fiction. The rules are also referenced in Detective Conan more than a few times. Whereas modern American mysteries have pretty much completely eschewed a lot of that stuff, focusing in more on hardboiled loose cop type stories and noir fiction, Japanese mystery novels have evolved much more into active discussion of the 'rules' of the work, in a very metafictional way.

The author of the original Hyouka novels is a member of the Honkaku Club, and has been nominated for their yearly writing award three times.

Japanese mystery fiction is built much on exploration and addition to the works of Christie and Doyle than on subtraction or subversion. The works of Rampo implement elements of horror while still adhering to the core tenents laid out by the golden age of detective fiction. Japan had its noir era, too, but after the crime wave in the 1980s, Japanese society was more interested in stories where criminals were wily but defeatable, and the heroes were mostly intelligent, rather than stories of trouble authority figures trying and failing to bring people to justice. So there were a wave of more traditionalist stories in the 80s that never really let up. Hence, Japanese detective fiction is still very invested in Knox and the Ten Rules.

I'd recommend checking out the Tokyo Zodiac Murders or The Decagon House Murders if you wanna see some of that trend making its way back into Japanese popculture at large. Or just reading Detective Conan.

Thanks for detailing this out, Its pretty interesting and cool!
Honestly that sounds more up my alley than most of the modern American mystery stuff I have consumed. Like, they are still often good character pieces, but I guess I am traditionalist because there no where as fun as Christie.

I'll be sure to check out both of those books. They look neat.

Belgian Waffle
Jul 31, 2006
I finally finished up the last episode of Isekai Shokudou today. Food-based entertainment is a guilty pleasure of mine and that was enough to get me into the show. I want to blame the food manga thread for dropping the name onto my queue... but I could be wrong about that.

So, Isekai Shokudou is about a bunch of fantasy characters stumbling through a door into a restaurant located in another world... our world. Specifically, it's a restaurant located in modern day Japan named Nekoya that specializes in Western-style food. The cast is your standard fantasy fare and each episode focuses on a particular character and their favorite dish at the restaurant. The show is extremely chill and there's very little conflict. The most violent thing that happens in the show is like... there's an argument and a chair gets knocked over.

With that said, the show is extremely formulaic and most of the writing is focused on expanding the setting as opposed to developing a plot or any of the characters outside of their one episode. Even the food aspect feels like it was just thrown in haphazardly. If there's some sort of parallel or dichotomy between any of the characters and their chosen favorite food, I don't see it.

As an Anime, it's fairly mediocre... but as a Food Show, it does a good job. I may not have cared about anything else going on in any particular episode, but the show never failed to get me hankering for something whenever the food came out. Kudos to the cast making me believe that everything anyone ate was the most delicious stuff ever.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

etotama: only good anime cgi out there

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

b the beginning. I liked it but kinda think it would have been better if it had been a more grounded detective thing. koku's end of the plot was really important and they couldn't just cut it out without reworking the entire story, but it did kinda lose me compared to keith's. also lol at the part in the end where they have to say keith's sister is adopted to make it less weird that she was in love with him and that his love interest looks just like her

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
I just finished Violet Evergarden and while I think it had some stumbles and awkward dialogue, for the most part, I really enjoyed it and was not prepared for Violet's emotional breakdown in episode 10. Also the episode where she writes letters from the dying mom to the daughter for the next 50 birthdays really caught me hard since it made me think about my dad dying a couple years ago

• Locked thread