Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

ADINSX posted:

Why couldn't spotify start offering label deals just like any other record label the way netflix is funding its own shows?
That's probably in their plans but as soon as they do the big labels will pull their music. They'd probably need to sign a couple of huge artists and announce them all at the same time or get some arbitrarily larger share of the space

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

qirex posted:

the whole point of spotify is their selection

it's like all those failed online music stores before itunes that would have like 4/6 major labels [lol there's only 3 now], if you don't have all the big labels there's no way you can maintain the paying users you need to stay in business

isn’t that the point of Netflix or were people ok paying for the absolute garbage Netflix has offered for years

pram
Jun 10, 2001

yes

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it's only a matter of time before spotify starts replacing all the actual music they have with cheap netflix-like knockoffs produced under their own label

"we don't have the beatles, but try this similar band! they were recently featured in the trailer for a low-budget Lifetime film about the 1960s!"

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Sagebrush posted:

it's only a matter of time before spotify starts replacing all the actual music they have with cheap netflix-like knockoffs produced under their own label

"we don't have the beatles, but try this similar band! they were recently featured in the trailer for a low-budget Lifetime film about the 1960s!"

gently caress you, "That Thing You Do!" was actually a good movie.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Schadenboner posted:

gently caress you, "That Thing You Do!" was actually a good movie.

no

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

i want to recall this as cloying boomer apologia, how on the nose am i

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Jonny 290 posted:

i want to recall this as cloying boomer apologia, how on the nose am i

it was but it wasn't, it was in the era of fuckin uh, she's all that

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

so, no?

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

~Coxy posted:

so, no?

It's checked by default on a clean install of macOS High Sierra

pram
Jun 10, 2001

~Coxy posted:

so, no?

yr dumb

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.

abigserve posted:

Spotify is certified A Good Program

it does own, but the music industry is so hosed with all the God drat Greed.

Example: Game updates get pushed out to remove songs when licenses expire, or terms change.

time 2 make u think: Imagine if that happened with the Mechwarrior 2 soundtrack.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Baxate posted:

isn’t that the point of Netflix or were people ok paying for the absolute garbage Netflix has offered for years

usage patterns are different, people* listen to the same songs over and over a lot more than they re-watch.

*adult people, I've seen a child watch the same 11 minute cartoon five times in a row

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

qirex posted:

I've seen a child watch the same 11 minute cartoon five times in a row

Can confirm. Kids is weird.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Rex-Goliath posted:

also i'm not bothering to check their statements or anything but how the gently caress are they justifying this valuation? or are they not even trying to do that? they have all the risk & exposure of netflix with none of the ability to pivot into inhousing everything

i wish i could find the article where somebody at some company gets asked where they got their valuation number (5b if i remember) from and the answer was "you can't hire good engineers if your valuation isn't at least that high so that's what we made it"

lmao

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

qirex posted:

*adult people, I've seen a child watch the same 11 minute cartoon five times in a row

know what's worse than seeing a child watch the same 11 minute cartoon 5 times in a row?

watching a kid watch the same first six seconds of a wiggles video

all

loving

afternoon

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

qirex posted:

usage patterns are different, people* listen to the same songs over and over a lot more than they re-watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKp2gikIkD8

i learned about this and talking to my parent friends they all say this poo poo is the reason that they took youtube access away from their kids

this video blew my mind, though

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKp2gikIkD8

i learned about this and talking to my parent friends they all say this poo poo is the reason that they took youtube access away from their kids

this video blew my mind, though

wonder how much money i could make with a youtube app that shows you a specific channel

just gotta figure out how to do it without getting banned by google and going bonkers

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

flakeloaf posted:

wonder how much money i could make with a youtube app that shows you a specific channel

just gotta figure out how to do it without getting banned by google and going bonkers

there were a bunch of those in the windows store for a while, I think the person who made them got sued out of existence

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com

qirex posted:

there were a bunch of those in the windows store for a while, I think the person who made them got sued out of existence

Apparently the secret to getting past Google's legal team is by naming it YouTube Single Channel Pregnant Elsa Party App

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

TimWinter posted:

Apparently the secret to getting past Google's legal team is by naming it YouTube Single Channel Pregnant Elsa Party App

Papa channel, papa channel, where are you?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

on that subject, spotify kicking the nazis out: https://newsroom.spotify.com/2018-05-10/spotify-announces-new-hate-content-and-hateful-conduct-public-policy/

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The Management posted:

Spotify has good music but the app is a mess

indeed

there are a few things which gently caress me off but none as bad as how easy it is to highjack the queue

by default it shouldn’t be easy to stop what’s playing and change the entire music direction. add to queue is good, and should be default. add to top of queue would be nice

and they need to social it a bit more. send a song to a friend isn’t possible thru spotify, just over other networks

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

oh yeah one of the thigns that annoyed me most about spotify was that if you start e.g. and album by clicking on the first song, it doesn't add the album to your queue, but does play through it. if you click to add something to your queue, it puts it between the current song and the next song in the album.

i realize it is because spotify believes everyone just presses shuffle everywhere but it was annoying

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

every music player should have album shuffle but barely any do

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
foobar

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Why would you shuffle an album? They're in that order for a good goddamn reason, you know.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

qirex posted:

every music player should have album shuffle but barely any do

itunes does idk about the others

also i got so frustrated with itunes being dogshit that i actually called apple support and i'll be damned they actually fixed it and it works mostly fine now

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

deezer's got a bunch of stuff spotify doesn't but spotify wins my $10 for a "shuffle and play me something i've never heard" feature that actually does that

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Schadenboner posted:

Why would you shuffle an album? They're in that order for a good goddamn reason, you know.

i'm pretty sure "album shuffle" means that you shuffle full albums by album. as for your question, i have no idea, but spotify insists that this is how people want to listen to music

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

spotify's hr department must be a hard place to work

yes this is spotify, we have lots of employees, but we're not going to list them all. here's five, piss off.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Endless Mike posted:

i'm pretty sure "album shuffle" means that you shuffle full albums by album. as for your question, i have no idea, but spotify insists that this is how people want to listen to music

Why would you listen to spotify? Just loop Tetris A for as long as you want to listen to music?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Schadenboner posted:

Why would you listen to spotify? Just loop Tetris A for as long as you want to listen to music?

this but smooth mcgroove remix ftw

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

this but smooth mcgroove remix ftw

Either you like the Tetris A theme and your desire for music will satisfied or you don't like it and your desire to listen to music will be squelched.

:shrug:

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Rex-Goliath posted:

itunes does idk about the others

also i got so frustrated with itunes being dogshit that i actually called apple support and i'll be damned they actually fixed it and it works mostly fine now

itunes shuffle algo is loving garbage

i've got a playlist with like 20 hours of music but every time i play it with shuffle it's always the same songs that it starts with until you get like 3 hours in

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
back when i worked on windows media player we'd get hatemail about the random shuffle because it would sometimes play the same song twice in a row. because, you know, random.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

lol technically correct but not what the user wants. wontfix

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

itunes shuffle algo is loving garbage

i've got a playlist with like 20 hours of music but every time i play it with shuffle it's always the same songs that it starts with until you get like 3 hours in

i tunes shuffle uses the same random seed every time so it never changes unless you add or remove songs and i have no idea how the gently caress that not only got past qa but also sits unfixed

yes with my 20 hours of music i would like to just listen to the same three songs every time thanks

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

also what the gently caress is spotify?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

HoboMan posted:

i tunes shuffle uses the same random seed every time so it never changes unless you add or remove songs and i have no idea how the gently caress that not only got past qa but also sits unfixed

yes with my 20 hours of music i would like to just listen to the same three songs every time thanks

yep, much like every single part of itunes/music.app, it's garbo

• Locked thread