Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Schwarzwald posted:

When was the last Shyamalan movie with an actual "twist" and not just, like, dramatic irony.

There was a moment in Old that was one of the most hilarious things ive seen in a movie in years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

This is all I know of Old.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etaA94eM2AE

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

As excited as I am for Trap

I’m even more excited for his daughters film

https://youtu.be/CrhrNS0JFyg?si=0cgiU-JzjfJ24pUp

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

As excited as I am for Trap

I’m even more excited for his daughters film

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrhrNS0JFyg

yea that looks interesting

but also can you all please paste embeds instead of plain links? its much easier to know if you wanna click a video than it is GDw01wert824af

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Carpet posted:

Trailer for M Night Shyamalan's new film, Trap, starring Josh Hartnett. The trailer didn't seem that interesting until the big reveal half way through, I wish I'd not watched it as I would have gone and seen it anyway based on the strength of Knock at the Cabin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJiPAJKjUVg

Is the score for this movie considered Trap music?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Tomorrow

https://x.com/vancityreynolds/status/1782121079731016040?s=42&t=n9XOB__FsjfMKZEtrZQ1YA

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cen0rBKLuYE

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Holy poo poo the shopfront Liefeld's Just Feet :haw: :haw: :haw:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Let's fuckin go

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

As much as I feel Jackman has done all one could possibly do with a character and needs to pass the baton, man it’s fun to see him have fun out there one more time. Sure the story is going to probably be a mess but it should be an entertaining mess.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I didn't have any desire to watch the previous two, but I guess I'm a sucker because seeing Jackman in the costume has done its magic.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
I’m a marvel shill but that trailer fuckin sucked.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Not sure what the plot is but I don't think it matters just see these two on the big screen? DP1 & 2 were way better than they had any right to be.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

So do I need to go back and watch all the bad Xmen films or can I just watch this bad new one?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Just wait for some YouTuber to condense it all.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Seems good enough, will make for a entertaining watch at home once it's on streaming. Jackman will always get benefit of the doubt from me and I'm interested to see how they do Cassandra Nova on the big screen.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

feedmyleg posted:

I didn't have any desire to watch the previous two, but I guess I'm a sucker because seeing Jackman in the costume has done its magic.

CelestialScribe posted:

I’m a marvel shill but that trailer fuckin sucked.

Both possible ends of the spectrum.

Personally, it's looking to be everything I was hoping it would be from a Deadpool and Wolverine movie. Can't wait.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I have mixed feelings because Logan was as perfect a send off you could possibly get for a character, but Hugh is real good as Wolverine. It'll probably be fun.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

stev posted:

So do I need to go back and watch all the bad Xmen films or can I just watch this bad new one?

Non-zero chance this will be a joke or plot point of the film.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
It will be good

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Ryan Reynolds, if you're into him, can elevate the stupidest poo poo. I watched The Adam Project cause of him and loved it.

gregday
May 23, 2003

You expect a Deadpool movie to just be all edgelord poo poo, but they have a surprising amount of genuine heart.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

stev posted:

The X-Men movies are a total mess in continuity on the level of a long-running horror franchise.

- You have the original three modern day movies with the third one being such a slapped together disaster that they decided to rethink how these movies are made.

- A Wolverine origin movie came out and nobody liked it. They later did a generic action movie follow-up that was fine.

- An X-Men reboot/prequel happened taking place in the 60s. The first two movies are good. The second one uses time travel to make it that the original movies never happened. Then they did two bad sequels. Each movie took place in a different decade and nobody ever ages and they never bring it up. It's weird.

- There's a couple great Deadpool movies that make joking references to the other X-Men movies, but doesn't fit in any continuity other than its own.

- Logan happens, which is a dark, dystopian future meant to give Hugh Jackman his big swansong. The movie only directly references the very first X-Men movie.

- Then there's New Mutants, which ended up in developmental hell for years until Disney finally threw it out there during the pandemic. Nobody cares about New Mutants.

So you only really need to see the first two Deadpool movies, but if you want some vibes for Jackman's Wolverine or just the X-Men universe itself, then X-Men, X-Men 2, and Logan couldn't hurt.

gregday
May 23, 2003

To be fair, X-Men comics are probably the biggest continuity mess in all of comics.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

the New Mutants movie honestly wasn't half bad, way better than the last couple proper X-Men movies anyway. it felt kind of like a modern PG13 version of A Nightmare on Elm Street Part III: Dream Warriors.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

gregday posted:

To be fair, X-Men comics are probably the biggest continuity mess in all of comics.

In a way, the movies do a great job of bringing the x-men comic experience to film

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Deadpool, also played by Ryan Reynolds, also shows up in Wolverine: Origins.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

GrandpaPants posted:

Deadpool, also played by Ryan Reynolds, also shows up in Wolverine: Origins.

Which is directly referenced at least once in one of the Deadpool movies.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

You kind of have to experience the pain of X-Men Origins: Wolverine.

X1 came out at a time when studios were still learning how to best adapt comic book movies along with Spider-man and was heralded for not being a disaster.

X2 felt like the height of comic book cinema and still holds up pretty well with some badass scenes.

Then it got so bad that First Class was so refreshing because it wasn't a pile of poo poo, and Days of Future past was able to harness that momentum for good. Then it went back to being a nightmare and they wasted Oscar Issac.

But now we have X-Men 97 so I'm sure there's a cycle diagram that could easily be made.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

The Dave posted:

You kind of have to experience the pain of X-Men Origins: Wolverine.

X1 came out at a time when studios were still learning how to best adapt comic book movies along with Spider-man and was heralded for not being a disaster.

X2 felt like the height of comic book cinema and still holds up pretty well with some badass scenes.

Then it got so bad that First Class was so refreshing because it wasn't a pile of poo poo, and Days of Future past was able to harness that momentum for good. Then it went back to being a nightmare and they wasted Oscar Issac.

But now we have X-Men 97 so I'm sure there's a cycle diagram that could easily be made.

So you're saying we have 2 good seasons of X-Men 97 ahead of us, at best?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I thought New Mutants was pretty good. The X-Men property nobody talks about is The Gifted.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

There's a fair few details in this that makes it looks like this Wolverine's been pulled from Old Man Logan, but a full-on more comic-accurate (and therefore way more hosed up) version.

So yeah you're not gonna have to care much because I don't think he's from any of the x-men we've seen onscreen so far. From a movie watcher's point of view (who won't recognise the OML references) he's just another version of the vague concept of wolverine, one who had a bad future.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Apr 22, 2024

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
I want to resent this film for inevitably being the shot of adrenaline that'll restart the heart of super hero movies for another decade plus. Feels like they've been on life support for so long and we were this close to being able to move on. I thought for sure that Guardians 3 sucking poo poo would have been the death knell.

Ah well, it'll probably be fun. But gently caress you, Jackman, you could have said no.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

thrawn527 posted:

So you're saying we have 2 good seasons of X-Men 97 ahead of us, at best?

Well Disney sacked the showrunner after he wrote season 1 and 2 (and before season 1 premiered), so the prophecy has a good chance of coming true!

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Lizard Combatant posted:

I want to resent this film for inevitably being the shot of adrenaline that'll restart the heart of super hero movies for another decade plus. Feels like they've been on life support for so long and we were this close to being able to move on. I thought for sure that Guardians 3 sucking poo poo would have been the death knell.

Ah well, it'll probably be fun. But gently caress you, Jackman, you could have said no.

Eh, I really doubt that lol. Like I don't think a Deadpool and Wolverine movie is going to be that huge. I think this will probably do well and review well, but people have moved on. The moment is over. Horror has been on the rise recently and making bank, we have all these bad nostalgia flicks of genre classics. Both herald a move back towards more generalized genre film.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

Lizard Combatant posted:

I don't think the movie where 2 dudes saying gently caress to each other before stabbing each other in the crotch is going to be any kind of harbinger in any direction for the comic book movie industry

I do think it will outperform everything else Marvel has put out recently since it's not generic slop from the marvel movie machine and I believe Jackman can get people to come out on top of the previous installment doing pretty well, especially for an R-rated movie. Maybe we'll see Marvel dip its toes further into R-rated stuff?

koolkal fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Apr 22, 2024

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
It's gonna do gang busters, and there'll be a sweep of announcements of new films following it. Bet on it.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Eh, I’m down to watch the Huge Jackman and Ryan Reynolds buddy film. They both obviously have great affection for their respective characters and it’s neat that Hugh’s gonna do it one more time in a yellow suit for good measure. If the idea of it on paper doesn’t even bring you just a little bit of joy, then I feel bad for you. This is a cool pop culture moment wrapped in what will likely be an entertaining if passable film (see also: No Way Home)

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Lizard Combatant posted:

It's gonna do gang busters, and there'll be a sweep of announcements of new films following it. Bet on it.

:toxx: urself B)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Sure, is that still a thing?