Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Huge Jacked Man rules as Wolverine, but I've never found Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool to be the least bit funny, so I'm gonna pass on seeing this one. If you're interested, though, I hope it lives up to your expectations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Logan was a great send-off but I'm also in the camp that believes most big superheroes don't have One True Ending so both that movie and this one can co-exist as endings as far as I'm concerned.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
New Deadpool looks fine, but not like anything I need to rush to theaters to see. Most of the shown action seemed to be the two of them fighting in an empty stone quarry or something.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
If Hugh Jackman doesn't sing in a ridiculously elaborate musical number in this one, no dice. :colbert:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Lizard Combatant posted:

I want to resent this film for inevitably being the shot of adrenaline that'll restart the heart of super hero movies for another decade plus. Feels like they've been on life support for so long and we were this close to being able to move on. I thought for sure that Guardians 3 sucking poo poo would have been the death knell.

Ah well, it'll probably be fun. But gently caress you, Jackman, you could have said no.

Guardians 3 did well and was very liked so I don’t know what the gently caress you are on about lmao

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Yeah that is a weird one to single out. Not Quantumania? The Flash?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The Marvels, Aquaman 2, Shazam 2 lmao

Black Adam…just a string of misfires

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Lizard Combatant posted:

Sure, is that still a thing?

i dunno, maybe, it should be a thing if it isn't just for this post, toxx urself B)

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

CelticPredator posted:

Guardians 3 did well and was very liked so I don’t know what the gently caress you are on about lmao

I liked Guardians 3 a lot less than the previous 2, and I can't tell you why. I recognize it had the things in it that I should like, and Rocket's backstory was good. It just felt like it was missing a certain something for me. It might be Rocket taken out of the main group for most of it, or losing Gamora's characterization due to Infinity War/Endgame shenanigans. Or a combination of those two making the movie have less of "the group" from the first two. Or it might just be that the MCU is wearing thin for me, I dunno.

But I definitely wouldn't say it "sucked poo poo" like the other poster, I still had a pretty good time. And as you said, most everyone liked it and it made a ton of money. If anything, it's one of the few reasons the MCU is still alive.

Quantumania, now THAT was a piece of poo poo.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

thrawn527 posted:

I liked Guardians 3 a lot less than the previous 2, and I can't tell you why. I recognize it had the things in it that I should like, and Rocket's backstory was good. It just felt like it was missing a certain something for me. It might be Rocket taken out of the main group for most of it, or losing Gamora's characterization due to Infinity War/Endgame shenanigans. Or a combination of those two making the movie have less of "the group" from the first two. Or it might just be that the MCU is wearing thin for me, I dunno.

But I definitely wouldn't say it "sucked poo poo" like the other poster, I still had a pretty good time. And as you said, most everyone liked it and it made a ton of money. If anything, it's one of the few reasons the MCU is still alive.

Quantumania, now THAT was a piece of poo poo.

I liked it but it's easily my least favourite of the trilogy (with 2 by far the best and 1 somewhere in the middle). It just felt like some of the magic had died, and the twisted animal abuse stuff just wasn't very fun.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Totally fair if it didn’t work. I’m not really going on about that. It’s just odd to me that someone would think a film that did well on all fronts, financially, critically, ect would some how kill the genre lol

But I’d say it’s not my favorite. My favorite was 2. 2 felt like Gunn letting loose and it felt just more freeing to me. The ending hits me every time.

No one likes 2 that much. But it had everything I love, including a badass vengeance murder scene!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Lizard Combatant posted:

It's gonna do gang busters, and there'll be a sweep of announcements of new films following it. Bet on it.

Yeah the Disney beancounters must be absolutely salivating at the thought of rolling the X-Men into the MCU, you can bet they've already got a whole slew of X films at some level of pre-production

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

CelticPredator posted:

Totally fair if it didn’t work. I’m not really going on about that. It’s just odd to me that someone would think a film that did well on all fronts, financially, critically, ect would some how kill the genre lol

But I’d say it’s not my favorite. My favorite was 2. 2 felt like Gunn letting loose and it felt just more freeing to me. The ending hits me every time.

No one likes 2 that much. But it had everything I love, including a badass vengeance murder scene!

Oh, I love 2. It's one of my favorite MCU movies. Might be my favorite, I haven't really bothered to do a "ranking", because who cares about that?

It's just so much fun, with complex father issues mixed in. And yeah, the revenge scene is amazing.

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!
Feige is going to pay RDJ $80 mil + to return as Tony Stark and god knows how much to make the other two Spideys return and make The X-Men the "new" Avengers so yes, this "savior" of the MCU joke is quite literal.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
From first-hand stories, X-Men 3 was particularly bad because Brett Ratner was so unprepared. He would come to set every morning, take his hands out of his pants and clap them together and exclaim "OK, so what are we shooting today???". The piece of poo poo also outed Ellen Paige to the cast and crew by telling another woman to have sex with her to 'make her realize she's gay'.

Then again, a chunk of X2 was directed by the 1st A.D. because Singer would go on drug benders, freak out at the producers, and disappear from set for a couple of days at a time. He also grabbed my friend's rear end in the lunch truck lineup and shouted "Haven't hosed you yet!", so I guess it's impossible to say which who is worse.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

While I liked Guardians 3, I thought in its own way it kind of helped lead to the downfall of the MCU and superhero movies. Most of the other modern superhero movies have been about building to the next thing, including Endgame. Guardians 3 was very blunt that this was an end point. Yeah, there might be an appearance or two of the new team lineup down the line and maybe Star-Lord will get his own solo project eventually, but the days of the beloved James Gunn version of Guardians of the Galaxy are finished. Stick around for the Captain Marvel team-up movie, I guess.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

stev posted:

the twisted animal abuse stuff just wasn't very fun.

You don't say.

Jackman's obviously great as Wolverine but they've never really figured out what to do with his hair. It looks like he's molting in this trailer.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I think the big killer was the okay at best TV shows barring Loki, some of Hawkeye, the one-off Werewolf one, and She Hulk which some people adored (I didn't vibe with it).

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
D&W will do very well but I also don’t think it means much one way or the other for comic movies as a genre overall

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023

Dillbag posted:

From first-hand stories, X-Men 3 was particularly bad because Brett Ratner was so unprepared. He would come to set every morning, take his hands out of his pants and clap them together and exclaim "OK, so what are we shooting today???". The piece of poo poo also outed Ellen Paige to the cast and crew by telling another woman to have sex with her to 'make her realize she's gay'.

Then again, a chunk of X2 was directed by the 1st A.D. because Singer would go on drug benders, freak out at the producers, and disappear from set for a couple of days at a time. He also grabbed my friend's rear end in the lunch truck lineup and shouted "Haven't hosed you yet!", so I guess it's impossible to say which who is worse.

Man how does one become a movie director

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Lizard Combatant posted:

But gently caress you, Jackman, you could have said no.

I expect the conversation went something like this:

Exec: Mr Jackman, we'd like you to play Wolverine again in the new Deadpool movie. We will give you a dump truck full of money.

Jackman: No, I'm done.

Exec: You can also swear as much as you like.

Jackman: Ya fuckin' beauty. Where do I sign?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Jedit posted:

Exec: Mr Jackman, we'd like you to play Wolverine again in the new Deadpool movie. We will give you a dump truck full of money.

I think it's more likely they kept adding zeroes to the end of the check until he said yes.

But he also does seem to get along well with Reynolds, so you're probably right and this is just a fun thing they wanted to do as a one-off. Logan was the serious send-off, this is just a bit of fun.

God, Logan was good.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Apr 22, 2024

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQW6RfmANXE

This was always the plan

Edit this is a garbage video but it’s the only one that gets to the point sorry

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Spalec posted:

If Hugh Jackman doesn't sing in a ridiculously elaborate musical number in this one, no dice. :colbert:

It helps that Jackman is a talented performer with good stage presence who can actually sing but Wolverine breaking into song (probably in the middle of a big action set piece) in Deadpool movie is about as much of a guarantee as you can get.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

I don't know about that. Wolverine breaking into song would require Wolverine to break the fourth wall as well, wouldn't it? And only Deadpool does that in the movies, the other characters just ignore/don't comprehend when he does that, right?

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
The fourth wall is kind of meaningless now that everything’s the multiverse, they can just visit an alternate dimension where everything’s all musicals or whatever and have a choir of 30 Wolverines all tap dancing and singing together if they’re so inclined

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Deadpool and Wolverine going to the musical planet from Marvels and doing it right this time

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Y’all this is directed by Shawn Levy and written by like 6 writers. It’s not going to be that good, it has “fine, could have been better” written all over it

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Jedit posted:

This, a lot of money, or letting him do a musical number.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

checkplease posted:

New Deadpool looks fine, but not like anything I need to rush to theaters to see. Most of the shown action seemed to be the two of them fighting in an empty stone quarry or something.

I wonder if coming out in the wake of Boy Kills World* will work against it. I'll probably pass on that one until it hits streaming too, since it looks very like Deadpool and I find Deadpool a bit exhausting, but the trailers are also doing a very good job at selling a Deadpool type movie with much better looking action than the new Deadpool.

* And The Fall Guy

High Warlord Zog fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Apr 23, 2024

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
Also, I feel like Ryan Reynolds has spent the last few years training audiences to see him as "that guy I kind of enjoy in direct-to-streaming movies that I throw on as background noise" and I wonder if that'll work against his first big theatrical release in a while.

High Warlord Zog fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Apr 23, 2024

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
Isn't that every actor that released movies during Covid

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
Reynolds's streaming films have budgets of hundreds of millions of dollars and mimic movies that people go to see in theatres.

High Warlord Zog fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Apr 23, 2024

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

mycot posted:

Yeah that is a weird one to single out. Not Quantumania? The Flash?

CelticPredator posted:

The Marvels, Aquaman 2, Shazam 2 lmao

Black Adam…just a string of misfires

Didn't watch any of those.

I singled out Guardians cause that series was "the good one" and I actually saw it. The drop in quality from even something like Endgame (the last MCU film I saw before that) was pretty drastic. Like cool, let's make a weirdly sadistic film "about" the raccoon and have him unconscious the whole time while everyone else does boring fetch quests. Then a bunch of cgi puppets can stiffly dance to Florence and the Machine like they're at gunpoint.

E: actually that's not true, i saw the spider man with the three spider lads as well but completely forgot about it.

Snooze Cruise posted:

i dunno, maybe, it should be a thing if it isn't just for this post, toxx urself B)

Consider it toxxed then.

Now that they've primed audiences to accept this anything-goes multiverse business, expect nothing but big high profile stunt event films for a good while. Plus the X-Men, Fantastic Dorks and the Canadian Avengers or something, I'd give specifics but I don't actually know any of these properties.

Oh I'd also put money on Sony trying a live action version of their Spider man cartoon.

Jedit posted:

I mean, every man has his price :australia:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Lizard Combatant posted:

I singled out Guardians cause that series was "the good one" and I actually saw it. The drop in quality from even something like Endgame (the last MCU film I saw before that) was pretty drastic. Like cool, let's make a weirdly sadistic film "about" the raccoon and have him unconscious the whole time while everyone else does boring fetch quests. Then a bunch of cgi puppets can stiffly dance to Florence and the Machine like they're at gunpoint.

Well, to each their own, but if we're talking about overall superhero movie reception for the purposes of the topic, be aware yours was a very minority opinion.

While there's lots who prefer one of the others, in general the overall reaction to 3 was quite positive.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Apr 23, 2024

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Guardians 3 managed to be less than the sum of it's parts.

It had some good parts though.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

MikeJF posted:

Well, to each their own, but if we're talking about overall superhero movie reception for the purposes of the topic, be aware yours was a very minority opinion.

While there's lots who prefer one of the others, in general the overall reaction to 3 was quite positive.

Lol I know, and i never said it wasn't successful. But even the folks who loved it must have felt like it was a postscript to the preceding era, and certainly doing nothing to stave off the entropy of the MCU's second decade.

Who knows what the hell Warner are doing either.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Jedit posted:

Lotta bombs since Logan in Jackman's filmography.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

As much as I feel Jackman has done all one could possibly do with a character and needs to pass the baton, man it’s fun to see him have fun out there one more time. Sure the story is going to probably be a mess but it should be an entertaining mess.

He really likes that gig. He met with the prime minister to get Fox tax breaks to shoot one of those movies in Australia in like ... 2012ish

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Apr 23, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

live with fruit posted:

Lotta bombs since Logan in Jackman's filmography.

The Greatest Showman made an inexplicably large amount of money