Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Sadly they give Sam Rockwell's character a redemptive arc.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Jewmanji posted:

Sadly they give Sam Rockwell's character a redemptive arc.

specifically, one that posits that the way an abusive cop can gain redemption is by killing U.S. troops

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Jojo Rabbit is stupid, evil, and hosed up hth.

Like any movie where you're supposed to feel bad for the Charming Nazi getting captured by Soviets can go gently caress itself. It's Bloodlands poo poo. It's a step away from Holocaust denialism (through false equivalency)

Between that and Billboards im praying they get my man Sam Rockwell some roles where he doesn't have to play the Shittiest White Guy on Earth.

I am not sure I would go so far as to call JoJo Rabbit evil, but Waititi does soften the books ending, where JoJo lying to Elsa about the war still going on lasts a lot longer than a few seconds.

Because he's a creepy nazi kid who wants to keep Elsa. So that does change the stories meaning a bit.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Schwarzwald posted:

I also haven't seen Three Billboards, but if the posted scene shouted "all cops are bastards" at any higher of a decibel, my ears would ring.

Sorry, the scene just started with him seeming all tortured, and then the narration kicks in talking about being a good cop, so I thought I was about to see him do something noble after being all distraught. And then I did not see that. I was thrown.

But yeah, my post was dumb, after watching the clip again.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Rageaholic posted:

Jerry Seinfeld's directorial debut is a movie about Pop-Tarts that somehow looks even worse than the Flamin' Hot Cheetos movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lqRPUhPfho

Yes, but also, gently caress Jerry Seinfeld. On a scale of 1 to 10, how old do you reckon his date to the premiere is going to be?

kiimo posted:

Jewish people in LA were furious at him way back when he did Jojo Rabbit and I remember thinking back then that is not really the group you wanna piss off if you work making movies

I mean, Waititi is Jewish too, so :shrug:

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

Keeping her memory alive!

thrawn527 posted:

I'm assuming there's an irony there?

lol

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Jojo Rabbit is stupid, evil, and hosed up hth.

Like any movie where you're supposed to feel bad for the Charming Nazi getting captured by Soviets can go gently caress itself. It's Bloodlands poo poo. It's a step away from Holocaust denialism (through false equivalency)

Between that and Billboards im praying they get my man Sam Rockwell some roles where he doesn't have to play the Shittiest White Guy on Earth.

You're mad that there's nuance to the German characters even in a movie that's overwhelmingly and explicitly anti-fascist. There's no other word for this than stupidity.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Ratios and Tendency posted:

overwhelmingly and explicitly anti-fascist.

When I hear those words I think of like, Come and See, not this milquetoast comedy.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
A movie can be bad at being an anti-fascist comedy without making it pro-fascist

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

come and see was the most agonizingly boring movie i've ever watched. i like movies from the 70s and deep foreign film about serious topics, but this is the #1 or #2 rated movie on letterboxd and it's just a slog.

the ending sequence is kind of interesting but other than that: 😴

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Ratios and Tendency posted:

You're mad that there's nuance to the German characters even in a movie that's overwhelmingly and explicitly anti-fascist. There's no other word for this than stupidity.
lmao
Keep Bloodlandsing it up.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

ShoogaSlim posted:

come and see was the most agonizingly boring movie i've ever watched. i like movies from the 70s and deep foreign film about serious topics, but this is the #1 or #2 rated movie on letterboxd and it's just a slog.

the ending sequence is kind of interesting but other than that: 😴

Would you have liked it more if they had kept the original title?

Kill Hitler

Some of the sequences in that movie are insane and, much as I hate deploying this cliche, literally could not be made today. The bombing of the forest looks hyper-realistic in a way no other movie I can think of does, because they just did it, unsafely.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

thrawn527 posted:

I've never seen this movie, what the gently caress did I just watch? I'm obviously missing context, but the clip on its own has a narrator talking about how the best way to honor someone's memory is "to go to work, to be a good cop", and then Sam Rockwell does that. I'm assuming there's an irony there? Or did the guy he beat the poo poo out of drown a truck full of puppies or something?

I like Sam Rockwell, please don't post poo poo like that out of context.

lol it’s just a movie clip relax

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

The thread decidedly not relaxed today

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Punkin Spunkin posted:

lmao
Keep Bloodlandsing it up.

What the hell is Bloodlandsing

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Jewmanji posted:

Would you have liked it more if they had kept the original title?

Kill Hitler

Some of the sequences in that movie are insane and, much as I hate deploying this cliche, literally could not be made today. The bombing of the forest looks hyper-realistic in a way no other movie I can think of does, because they just did it, unsafely.

Plus the cow being shot by an mg42 and those same real bullets being shot at the main character.

It’s not enjoyable or rewatchable, but it’s also not a snore fest.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

fatherboxx posted:

What the hell is Bloodlandsing
Essentially creating a false dichotomy between the Soviets and nazis that washes the hands of the latter, diminishes the Holocaust, and creates a false equivalency that is really not far from Holocaust denialism. It labels the tragedy of Eastern Europe and the Holocaust as just general "bloodlands" rather than what it truly precisely was if we're being honest: the scene of the greatest Nazi atrocity on earth. One of the most famous cases is Timothy Snyder's hack history Bloodlands.
It's not about Taiki's intentions for me or even that Jojo is that far past the mainstream Hollywood consensus (unfortunately), Jojo feels like a typical ww2 movie Hollywood would have made at any point in the 90s.
See also: the clean Wehrmacht myth.

Also all the mythmaking around the non-aggression pact to buy time (despite the fact that Stalin was doing his best to rally the Western allies for a strike against Hitler, desperately wanted a pact with the French, and was opposed to the sacrifice of the Czechs)

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Mar 30, 2024

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Also all the mythmaking around the non-aggression pact to buy time (despite the fact that Stalin was doing his best to rally the Western allies for a strike against Hitler, desperately wanted a pact with the French, and was opposed to the sacrifice of the Czechs)

Fascinating, I remember a lot of scenes regarding fuel supplies from USSR in Jojo Rabbit

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
ultimately the real problem with jojo rabbit is that its self-absorbed saccharine schlock….but im ok with the historical inaccuracies anyway because im an anime watcher who is used to sarcastic and insincere use of nazi imagery

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

edogawa rando posted:

Sorry that was kind of the point and why people were mad at him

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

kiimo posted:

Jewish people in LA were furious at him way back when he did Jojo Rabbit and I remember thinking back then that is not really the group you wanna piss off if you work making movies

edogawa rando posted:

kiimo posted:

Sorry that was kind of the point and why people were mad at him

You're asserting that if he weren't Jewish then they'd have been fine with his adaptation of Jojo Rabbit?

Edit: sorry, that probably sounds like some sort of gotcha, I'm genuinely having trouble following the argument here.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Open Source Idiom posted:

You're asserting that if he weren't Jewish then they'd have been fine with his adaptation of Jojo Rabbit?

Edit: sorry, that probably sounds like some sort of gotcha, I'm genuinely having trouble following the argument here.

like an internal thing. "youre not a real jew" etc. jews get called antisemites a lot, for some reason

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Peak Taika was Heinous Crime and it’s all been downhill since then

https://youtu.be/puy_UyUptqo?si=G_-2Z97PVXZ4RHoE

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

kiimo posted:

I don't get this joke or possibly just weird post.

I simply meant that it must be hard to work within a regime that would be so upset about someone’s honest work of art, that sounds so limiting with respect to ideas and what could be possible in the movies.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Jewmanji posted:

Bad trailer, but Yorgos. Thats pretty crazy, this must’ve been filmed on a Soderbergh-like budget and schedule.

My understanding is that he made this in the gap between Poor Things being finished and releasing (which took a while.)

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Open Source Idiom posted:

The more I talk about this the less comfortable I get, as a complete outsider other than the fact that I worked on the Jojo Rabbit campaign. I just know there was a strong reaction in those circles because someone told me about it at lunch who was pretty strict and in those circles and it really really rubbed a lot of people the wrong way that a Jewish director is making a film where a kid is buddy buddy with a Hitler figure, even in his own imagination and those groups were also the ones pissed off that there was going to be a Holocaust museum and someone is profiting off showing images of that. I thought at the time that he was probably going to see some negative fallout from that. That's the entirety of my point.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

kiimo posted:

The more I talk about this the less comfortable I get, as a complete outsider other than the fact that I worked on the Jojo Rabbit campaign. I just know there was a strong reaction in those circles because someone told me about it at lunch who was pretty strict and in those circles and it really really rubbed a lot of people the wrong way that a Jewish director is making a film where a kid is buddy buddy with a Hitler figure, even in his own imagination and those groups were also the ones pissed off that there was going to be a Holocaust museum and someone is profiting off showing images of that. I thought at the time that he was probably going to see some negative fallout from that. That's the entirety of my point.

Yeah, okay, I getchu. I was just thinking that the guy might gain more notoriety had he not been Jewish, because it'd be easier to make the argument that he lacked lived experience or cultural knowledge. So I couldn't follow your idea, since it just wasn't intuitive to me, but i think I get it now.

And, like, sorry, I really wasn't trying to be confrontational or anything. Thanks for sharing and stuff.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hollywood is like the cool kids table where they all talk poo poo because they’re insecure and stupid

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
I think a lot of the negative response to Jojo Rabbit is long memories of Life is Beautiful.

A film made by non-jews for non-jews about jews. Acclaimed by non-jews but regarded with very mixed feelings among jewish communities.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Still a way better movie than Jojo tho. Even when Benigni is corny and misguided he's a far more benevolent voice.
It always cracks me up that basically every movie he's ever directed he casts his wife as "DA MOST BEAAAAUTIFUL WOMAN IN DA WOOORLD!!"

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
French neo-noir animated film Mars Express is getting a stateside theatrical release with English dubs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PR_S9BOQplc

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Alehkhs posted:

French neo-noir animated film Mars Express is getting a stateside theatrical release with English dubs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PR_S9BOQplc

YO this is sick news.

Hopefully the dub's good (I will watch it anyway). Sounds to my ears like they went with your typical anime dub voice actors though, which is sad since everyone and their mother has a home set up now since the pandemic and they could have got some more unusual voices. Or French people, even, using French accents. I like dubs, don't get me wrong, but my main criticism is that they often end up sounding very samey. It'd be cool to give it some texture.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Genuine question here, but is the backlash to JoJo Rabbit new? I enjoyed it well enough when I first saw it in theaters, and it was pretty highly rated. Hell, it even received a Best Picture nomination. This thread is honestly the first place I've ever seen it discussed as some sort of deeply problematic and awful thing.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

No it’s not new but it wasn’t huge because people liked Waitit then except for a loud minority.

I think Love and Thunder basically ruined his career entirely full stop. The EP stuff he did coupled with the movie being so atrocious and annoying just soured everyone and so they reevaluated his work.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Yeah I remember hearing some pretty scathing criticisms of Jojo Rabbit at the time, but all the same Watiti was popularly well regarded. People liked What We Do in the Shadows; people liked Thor 3.

But between Thor 4 and his soccer film being poorly received and him being publicly dismissive to some vfx people (iirc), he's lost some of that shine.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Apr 3, 2024

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

It's important to stress how bad Thor 4 was.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Slotducks posted:

It's important to stress how bad Thor 4 was.

Honestly it’s impressive how awful some of those series got, plenty of the new MCU movies aren’t good but Ant Man 3 and Thor 4 were really in a league of their own

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Wasn't it also around that time when it came out he was probably cheating on his wife?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Waititi's also produced What We Do In the Shadows, Reservation Dogs, and Our Flag Means Death, which are all pretty well regarded. He's also got a movie and new show coming out this year. He'll be fine.